Last visit was: 29 May 2024, 02:14 It is currently 29 May 2024, 02:14
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [3]
Given Kudos: 26
Concentration: Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
WE:Information Technology (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 2.73
WE:Business Development (Computer Software)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 136 [0]
Given Kudos: 753
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Ross School of Business - Class of 2017
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.2
WE:Project Management (Other)
Send PM
Re: Calling all Duke-Fuqua Applicants(2015 Intake) Class of 2017 [#permalink]
panzzzzz wrote:
politricks wrote:
2. The interview itself threw me off a little. I had just spent several hours before the interview hanging out with chill Fuqua students shooting the breeze. The interviewer was a nice guy, but a little serious. It wasn't the laid-back, Fuqua culture I was used to or expected. I got a litany of "tell me about a time" questions in a relentless streak. I think I performed well, but I just thought it would be more conversational. Regardless, others who had different interviewers said theirs was relaxed, so I may just be an anomaly.

I had a very similar experience in my visit/interview day. I had an interviewer that stuck to the script and was relatively stone-face, which made me feel uneasy about my interview performance. According to the other prospective students who had already interviewed earlier though, their interviewers were all very laid back and felt like they wanted to know your story with longer sessions (up to an hour). Mine was maybe 30 minutes tops.

The interview reflection thing by HBS, appears to be an awesome tool to inform adcom about such experiences. Too bad rest of the schools are yet to adopt it...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V37
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE:Other (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
panzzzzz wrote:
politricks wrote:
2. The interview itself threw me off a little. I had just spent several hours before the interview hanging out with chill Fuqua students shooting the breeze. The interviewer was a nice guy, but a little serious. It wasn't the laid-back, Fuqua culture I was used to or expected. I got a litany of "tell me about a time" questions in a relentless streak. I think I performed well, but I just thought it would be more conversational. Regardless, others who had different interviewers said theirs was relaxed, so I may just be an anomaly.

I had a very similar experience in my visit/interview day. I had an interviewer that stuck to the script and was relatively stone-face, which made me feel uneasy about my interview performance. According to the other prospective students who had already interviewed earlier though, their interviewers were all very laid back and felt like they wanted to know your story with longer sessions (up to an hour). Mine was maybe 30 minutes tops.

Perhaps you, wluck, and I had the same interviewer...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Send PM
Two quick questions that have been causing me slight paranoia for a while:

(1) For other HSM applicants out there, are there no additional application requirements for HSM? I'd heard there was an additional essay, but didn't see it in the application. So just wanted to make sure.

(2) Also, in terms of resumes, Duke has posted an example resume within the "important links" section of the application. Does Duke prefer that applicant resumes follow this format, or is this merey an example (not a suggestion) for those who are looking for a format?

Best of luck to my fellow R1ers over the next few days!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V37
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE:Other (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
jpday wrote:

(2) Also, in terms of resumes, Duke has posted an example resume within the "important links" section of the application. Does Duke prefer that applicant resumes follow this format, or is this truly an example for those who are looking for a format?

I think it's just an example. Tuck has one too. The school cares more about a cogent, easy-to-follow resume. So, if you already have a format that is solid, no need to reinvent the wheel and reformat to match Duke.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Send PM
politricks wrote:
jpday wrote:

(2) Also, in terms of resumes, Duke has posted an example resume within the "important links" section of the application. Does Duke prefer that applicant resumes follow this format, or is this truly an example for those who are looking for a format?

I think it's just an example. Tuck has one too. The school cares more about a cogent, easy-to-follow resume. So, if you already have a format that is solid, no need to reinvent the wheel and reformat to match Duke.

Thought so. Just needed to hear it from someone else. Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.6
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
In for Round-1 :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 71
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V31
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V38
Send PM
jpday wrote:

(1) For other HSM applicants out there, are there no additional application requirements for HSM? I'd heard there was an additional essay, but didn't see it in the application. So just wanted to make sure.

I don't think there are additional requirements for HSM except selecting 'yes' under HSM concentration within the application. May be they are expecting to address the interest in one of the essays.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [3]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
FROM Fuqua Current Student Blogs: Orientation and Realizing the Value of ‘Fit’
A few months back, I was a prospective student eagerly reading each blog to understand my ‘fit’ with Fuqua. And, now I am a Fuqua student writing a blog that will be read by the next batch of prospective students. Surely, it feels good to be on the other side, but presenting the ‘real’ Fuqua is a tough, yet interesting responsibility and one that I have embraced. So without further ado, let us start from the start!

Orientation

I left India expecting Fuqua to be a friendly place, but during orientation I realized that this isn’t the full story. Fuqua is an unbelievable place where people go overboard to help others yet maintain healthy competition amongst one another. Orientation is the first step to acclimate incoming first-year students (FYs) to this seemingly oxymoronic environment. The variety of events is what I loved the most about orientation as it feels like you’re on an excursion. This 3-day roller-coaster ride is put together by Fuqua’s Orientation Team (O-Team). O-Team consists of second-year students (SYs), who took leaves from their summer internships and traveled at their own expense to welcome FYs to the Fuqua family. Need I say more on Fuquans’ selflessness?

Second-year students choosing t-shirts for each section of first-years
As I entered the orientation auditorium, I was thrilled to see FYs roaring, “LET’S GO DUKE! LET’S GO DUKE! LET’S GO DUKE!” Dean Bill Boulding, commenced the orientation by welcoming all FYs with a motivating speech. Then representatives from the Career Management Center and the Faculty, including Professor Joe LeBoeuf, a Center on Leadership and Ethics (COLE) Scholar, explained their roles. As an international student, I was anxious how I would perform in this new environment but candid introductions and the reassurance of support put me at ease. Soon after, the section for each FY was announced and in a rush of excitement, everyone logged into the website to find their section. 440 FYs are put (“divided” doesn’t fit the Fuqua environment) into 6 sections. Each section developed its own chant and going forward, before every orientation activity, each section chanted loud enough to outdo the others. This is what ‘cut-throat competition’ at Fuqua looks like.

Daytime MBA Dean Russ Morgan is a friendly and welcoming person as witnessed when he took the podium. SYs chanted his name in unison to show how much they appreciate his collegiality. He introduced FYs to Fuqua culture and enthusiastically agreed to do the ALS IceBucket Challenge and put himself in a dunk tank during the orientation carnival. Seeing him do these activities was definitely a “wow” moment. In my life of 10,000 days, I have never met anyone who holds such an elite position yet relates so well with people half his age. I won’t forget that once, we were walking across the alley and he stopped only to ask me “how I feel here.” And, I am not a special case, he engages with students like this on a regular basis. People here, irrespective of their designation, care for each other. I feel that thousands of miles away, I have found my second home at Fuqua.

Section olympics arm wrestling
Part of Fuqua indoctrination (as I like to call it) is Section Olympics. All 6 sections participated in competitions such as dancing, arm wrestling, tug of war, and a treasure hunt. These team events helped break the glass walls a few FYs had in interacting with people across cultures. It is part of becoming the Fuqua, and eventually Duke, family. Spending so much time and effort on indoctrination showed me how much Fuqua values its culture. I was flabbergasted to see that there was no proctor when we took our exams later in the term. However, students started and stopped on time. Being true to yourself and following the honor code is the 1st priority for everyone. If you still doubt, I won’t blame you, but trust me. And this integrity and camaraderie goes beyond the classroom. Emails and Facebook posts letting people know about lost Ray-Bans, cellphones and wallets are not uncommon.

Section olympics tug of war
Soon, FYs were in for another surprise. Leadership is an integral part of the Fuqua experience and orientation reflected that. Alison Levine, Daytime ’00 and President of Climb High Foundation, shared the experiences related to leadership that she had while ascending the highest peaks on every continent. What differentiates her talk was the message that sometimes taking a step back, when everyone is enticed to go forward and might consider you a coward, is true leadership. When she said “fear is okay, complacency will kill you,” I thought it is just another quote, but over the days, I realized how simple yet profound those words are. Just think, isn’t complacency the reason for many wrong doings: be it breaking rules, cheating, even the financial crisis!

Orientation culminated as each sections thanked the O-Team with posters that are still on display in Fox Center weeks later. Every time I walk by them, I am reminded how much SYs have done for FYs and that I have to outdo their contribution to the Fuqua community next year when it’s my turn. There is that ‘cut-throat competition’ again. 

The O-Team being presented with ‘thank you’ posters
Crux: The value of ‘fit’ that you hear every time from admissions is so relevant and you realize its value once you arrive here.

Do your research diligently and feel free to post questions in the comments below. I am here to help you!

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [2]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V31
GPA: 3
WE:Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
Done with my interview. It was very informal and pretty informative.
Now its time to calm down and wait.
Good luck everyone!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
Concentration: Finance, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
tiagofsa10 wrote:
Good luck everyone!

best of luck to you! my interview is tomorrow. nervous haha
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V31
GPA: 3
WE:Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
homeone wrote:
tiagofsa10 wrote:
Good luck everyone!

best of luck to you! my interview is tomorrow. nervous haha

you are gonna be alright brother...
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 247 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
WE:Consulting (Education)
Send PM
KaptainK wrote:
jpday wrote:

I don't think there are additional requirements for HSM except selecting 'yes' under HSM concentration within the application. May be they are expecting to address the interest in one of the essays.

Yes to this. It should be obvious from your essay #2 that you are going for HSM.

Also as politricks said, the sample resumes that schools provide are just samples (and in some cases, not even very good samples!). Submit a professional resume that's clear and easy to scan (and hopefully reinforces your application theme!) and you'll be fine.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [4]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools: Duke '17 (M)
GPA: 3.33
Send PM
Kudos
I had my EA interview in China this Wednesday. The interviewer was an 2011 Fuqua graduate who currently work as a VP in CITI. The whole interview was not very intensive but professional (I did the interview in one of the CITI meeting rooms. Glad I suited up with a tie).
Here are the Qs during the interview.
1. Introduce yourself
2. Why MBA, Why Duke, Why NOW
3. Work related questions (items on the resume)
4. Leadership experience
5.Team work experience
6. Give an example of SWOT analysis
7. Career goals (after mba)
8. A story of failure
9. Qs for her
The interview lasted about 1 hr. Hope this is helpful~
Good luck to all the applicants!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
Send PM
Hey. I cant find a clear answer anywhere if the list of 25 things essay is double spaced or single spaced. i assume double spaced as the other one clearly is. having a lot of difficulty cutting mine. you think it is ok to play with margins and font size?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools: Duke '17 (M)
GPA: 3.33
Send PM
PMD8833 wrote:
Hey. I cant find a clear answer anywhere if the list of 25 things essay is double spaced or single spaced. i assume double spaced as the other one clearly is. having a lot of difficulty cutting mine. you think it is ok to play with margins and font size?

I would say as long as it is intersting... Too be honest, mine is longer than two pages...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Kudos
PMD8833 wrote:

Check this link: https://www.fuqua.duke.edu/daytime-mba/admissions/application-instructions/

Under the essat section, it says it should be 1.5 line spacing and a font no smaller than 10.
I felt the 10 is too small so I used 11.5 and tightened the margins (for both essays). Who cares about the margin as long as the font size is readable?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
Send PM
did you guys reformat your resumes based on the sample they provide in the application? feels a bit silly to have profile section as obviously the goal of everyone is to get an mba. also a bit silly to waste valuable space for my address - it is in the application elsewhere
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  11   12   13   14   15  ...  71   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6951 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts