Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 15:04 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 15:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: Sub 505 Levelx   Grammatical/Rhetorical Constructionx   Verb Tense/Formx                              
Show Tags
Hide Tags
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30812 [2]
Given Kudos: 637
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30812 [0]
Given Kudos: 637
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28581 [0]
Given Kudos: 130
Re: Digging in sediments in northern China, evidence has been gathered by [#permalink]
Expert Reply
divineacclivity wrote:
ChrisLele wrote:
With this question we can quickly home in on the 2:3 split. Notice the participial phrase beginning 'digging...'. The word that comes directly after the comma must describe who is doing the digging. Clearly it is the archaeologists, not the evidence, that is digging. Thus we can eliminate (A), (B).

Both (D) and (E) are filled with unnecessary verbiage. (D) 'than that which..' and (E) '...than that.' We simply need a phrase that modifies 'emerge.' 'That' is used to describe comparisons between nouns. 'That' is a pronoun that is used to refers to a noun. Therefore (C) is best: 'emerged...than previously thought.'

E is wrong only because it is wordier than C and maybe a bit awkward too. I couldn't find any grammatical error E since "that" is correctly referring to "the emergence of complex life-forms".
Am I right in my thought process? many thanks.

Dear divineacclivity,
I'm Chris' friend and colleague, and I am happy to respond. :-)

The brilliant thing about this official question is that there are almost no grammatical mistakes. Choice (A) certainly questionable with the odd verb tense, but the other four answer choices are free of grammatical errors. Naive GMAT takers thing the GMAT SC is simply about grammar. It's not. Grammar is only one of many things tested on the GMAT SC. This particular question is testing one of the most tested areas, something called Rhetorical Construction. For a description of this, see:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/rhetorical ... orrection/
Logic and Rhetorical Construction are each as important as, if not more important than, grammar on the GMAT SC.

So, yes, choice (E) is 100% grammatically correct and rhetorically, it is an absolute trainwreck. It is far too wordy, and using "emergence" rather than the verb form, "emerge", makes it indirect and awkward.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Re: Digging in sediments in northern China, evidence has been gathered by [#permalink]
Hi,

Can someone help me clarify why A/B are wrong b/c of the word "evidence" right after the comma and not "scientists"? Since Digging is a verb modifier, it doesn't need to touch anything it modifies, so theoretically, can't it modify "scientists" in A/B?
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Expert Reply
russ9 wrote:
Hi,
Can someone help me clarify why A/B are wrong b/c of the word "evidence" right after the comma and not "scientists"? Since Digging is a verb modifier, it doesn't need to touch anything it modifies, so theoretically, can't it modify "scientists" in A/B?

Dear russ9
I'm happy to help. :-)

Here's the question again:
Digging in sediments in northern China, evidence has been gathered by scientists suggesting that complex life-forms emerged much earlier than they had previously thought.
(A) evidence has been gathered by scientists suggesting that complex life-forms emerged much earlier than they had
(B) evidence gathered by scientists suggests a much earlier emergence of complex life-forms than had been
(C) scientists have gathered evidence suggesting that complex life-forms emerged much earlier than
(D) scientists have gathered evidence that suggests a much earlier emergence of complex life-forms than that which was
(E) scientists have gathered evidence which suggests a much earlier emergence of complex life-forms than that

The participial phrase "digging in sediments in northern China" is, here, a noun modifier. It's true, participles and participial phrases can modifier either a noun, or a verb, or an entire clause. It's very subtle to interpret which a given participle modifies. Here, "digging" is a very concrete action. If the participle denotes a concrete action, and the action is clearly attributable to a particular noun in the sentence, then the participle is a noun modifier. Here, the "digging" had to be done by the "scientists," without a doubt. Therefore, the phrase is a noun modifier modifier "scientists" and therefore needs to touch that word. That's precisely why (A) & (B) make the misplaced modifier mistake. See:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/modifiers- ... orrection/

Participle modifiers are not easy. You have to ask yourself: is this a concrete action performed by someone in the sentence? Then that's a noun-modifier. Participial phrases modify verbs and clauses when they explain a further consequence of some action, or something caused not by the subject but by the action of the independent clause.
Stocks felt sharply yesterday, sending the bond market into a panic.
What "[sent] the bond market into a panic"? Not the noun "stocks" but the entire action, the fact that stocks fell.
The governor signed the new crime bill, sending a strong message to his harshest critics.
The concrete action is the one in the main clauses, "signing." The participle communicated a less concrete, more far-reaching effect of the action in the main clause.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
I have some thoughts about the correct sentece. If I am wrong, please correct me.

I remember a worng example in the MGMAT GUIDE: I see the man clenning the steps yeasterday. since the "cleaning" and "see" don't happen at the same time, it is wrong.

In the correct sentence: Digging in sediments in northern China, scientists have gathered evidence suggesting that complex life-formsemerged much earlier than previously thought.
In my views, "suggesting" and “gathered" also do not happened at the same time, but "suggest" is diffrent from the verb "clean" which happens instantly. "Suggest" is a constant action which happens all the time. Thus, that's why "suggesting" is correct here. Am I right?
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28581 [2]
Kudos
Expert Reply
liu1993918 wrote:
I have some thoughts about the correct sentece. If I am wrong, please correct me.

I remember a worng example in the MGMAT GUIDE: I see the man clenning the steps yeasterday. since the "cleaning" and "see" don't happen at the same time, it is wrong.

In the correct sentence: Digging in sediments in northern China, scientists have gathered evidence suggesting that complex life-formsemerged much earlier than previously thought.
In my views, "suggesting" and “gathered" also do not happened at the same time, but "suggest" is diffrent from the verb "clean" which happens instantly. "Suggest" is a constant action which happens all the time. Thus, that's why "suggesting" is correct here. Am I right?

Dear liu1993918,
I'm happy to respond. :-) Yes, as you found out from MGMAT, a present participle (verb + "ing") takes on the tense of the main verb. If we need to establish a different time, we need to use a subordinate clause.
I see the man cleaning the steps yesterday. = wrong
I see the man who was cleaning the steps yesterday. = correct

Now, in this sentence, the very tricky thing is --- what is the tense of the main verb? The main verb is NOT "gathered," a past tense verb. The main verb is "have gathered," which is a present perfect verb. For more on the perfect tenses, see:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-verb ... ct-tenses/

The present perfect tense is a notoriously tricky tense, because even though it refers to an action that began in the past, either the action is still continuing, or its effect or relevance is still continuing. In some way, the action or its consequences are still very much present to us, even though the beginning of the action is in the past
"...scientists have gathered evidence ..."
Suppose that is factually true. What does it mean? Either the scientists are still gathering the evidence now, or the evidence-gathering has come to an end but the process of sorting through the evidence, interpreting it, and deciding what it means is still very much present to use In one way or another, the action of evidence-gathering is having a profound impact on our present moment. That is precisely what the present perfect tense implies.

The participle is completely correct --- the "digging" was simultaneous with the "evidence gathering" --- they are both in the present-perfect-tense time frame.

There's absolutely no problem here Does this make sense?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi, is it right to use past perfect in choice A&B?
I think it's better to use past tense since there is "previously" in this sentence, am I right?
If not, please correct me. Thanks!
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Expert Reply
Ptting wrote:
Hi, is it right to use past perfect in choice A&B?
I think it's better to use past tense since there is "previously" in this sentence, am I right?
If not, please correct me. Thanks!

Dear Ptting,
I'm happy to respond. :-)

Here's a blog on the perfect tenses:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-verb ... ct-tenses/

In (A) & (B), the sentence would end " . . . much earlier than they had previously thought." Yes, using the past perfect with "previously" is a wee bit redundant, a wee bit awkward. Here's the important thing to understand, though: it's not deal-breaker wrong. In other words, sometimes, the OA on an official SC question is a bit awkward, a bit less than ideal --- it's just better than all the other answers. This kind of small picayune mistake could be part of an OA on the GMAT. It's not trainwreck wrong. It's less than ideal, but in a pinch, could be passable.

All of mathematics has that very clear right vs. wrong distinction. Grammar has that on a few things, such as SVA, but for the most part, it is a lot of shades of gray. Using "previously" with the past perfect is not pure white, but it's not jet black either: it's light gray.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 614 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Hi mikemcgarry / daagh / chetan2u,

If we have options like-

(C) scientists have gathered evidence suggesting that complex life-forms emerged much earlier than
(D) scientists have gathered evidence that suggests complex life-forms emerged much earlier than

Is there any difference between two OR both are exactly same..??

Please assist.

Thanks and Regrds
Prakhar
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28581 [1]
Kudos
Expert Reply
RAHKARP27071989 wrote:
If we have options like-

(D) scientists have gathered evidence that suggests complex life-forms emerged much earlier than

Please assist.

Thanks and Regrds
Prakhar

Dear Prakhar,

First of all, I will point out a grammar mistake in your question. It's not
If we have options like-
It should be:
If we have options such as-

The GMAT is usually fussy about having a "that" to begin a "that" clause, such as the one beginning with "complex life-forms . . ." The verb "to suggest" is a verb that takes "that"-clauses, and if this verb is followed by a clause, the GMAT usually wants the word "that" to appear.

(C) scientists have gathered evidence suggesting that complex life-forms emerged much earlier than . . . = perfect

(D1) scientists have gathered evidence that suggests complex life-forms emerged much earlier than . . . = missing the "that," probably not acceptable by GMAT standards

(D1) scientists have gathered evidence that suggests that complex life-forms emerged much earlier than . . . = technically correct, but awkward and redundant-sounding, so not ideal.

The best of the three is option (C).

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 614 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Digging in sediments in northern China, evidence has been gathered by [#permalink]
mikemcgarry wrote:
RAHKARP27071989 wrote:
If we have options like-

Please assist.

Thanks and Regrds
Prakhar

Dear Prakhar,

First of all, I will point out a grammar mistake in your question. It's not
If we have options like-
It should be:
If we have options such as-

The GMAT is usually fussy about having a "that" to begin a "that" clause, such as the one beginning with "complex life-forms . . ." The verb "to suggest" is a verb that takes "that"-clauses, and if this verb is followed by a clause, the GMAT usually wants the word "that" to appear.

(C) scientists have gathered evidence suggesting that complex life-forms emerged much earlier than . . . = perfect

(D1) scientists have gathered evidence that suggests complex life-forms emerged much earlier than . . . = missing the "that," probably not acceptable by GMAT standards

(D1) scientists have gathered evidence that suggests that complex life-forms emerged much earlier than . . . = technically correct, but awkward and redundant-sounding, so not ideal.

The best of the three is option (C).

Hi mikemcgarry,

Thanks alot for such a debrief.
I agree that in the above-mentioned examples, C is best.

But what I am more concerned about is that.

Is NOUN + THAT + VERB = NOUN + VERB-ing OR it depends on context..??
If depends on context, then can you please provide few examples so that I can comprehend this concept at my best.
I come across question on same concept:

In 1850 Lucretia Mott published her Discourse on Women, arguing in a treatise for
women to have equal political and legal rights
and for changes in the married women’s
property laws.

A. arguing in a treatise for women to have equal political and legal rights
B. arguing in a treatise for equal political and legal rights for women
C. a treatise that advocates women’s equal political and legal rights
D. a treatise advocating women’s equal political and legal rights
E. a treatise that argued for equal political and legal rights for women

OA- E

I agree that we need parallelism after legal rights ( For women and for changes)
But, if we leave this aside..
Is there any difference between C and D..??

Thanks and Regards,
Prakhar
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28581 [3]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
RAHKARP27071989 wrote:
Hi mikemcgarry,

Thanks alot for such a debrief.
I agree that in the above-mentioned examples, C is best.

But what I am more concerned about is that.

Is NOUN + THAT + VERB = NOUN + VERB-ing OR it depends on context..??
If depends on context, then can you please provide few examples so that I can comprehend this concept at my best.

I come across question on same concept:

In 1850 Lucretia Mott published her Discourse on Women, arguing in a treatise for
women to have equal political and legal rights
and for changes in the married women’s
property laws.

A. arguing in a treatise for women to have equal political and legal rights
B. arguing in a treatise for equal political and legal rights for women
C. a treatise that advocates women’s equal political and legal rights
D. a treatise advocating women’s equal political and legal rights
E. a treatise that argued for equal political and legal rights for women

OA- E

I agree that we need parallelism after legal rights ( For women and for changes)
But, if we leave this aside..
Is there any difference between C and D..??

Thanks and Regards,
Prakhar

Dear Prakhar,

The short answer is: it depends.

In the structure [noun]"that"[verb], the "that" clause is clearly a noun-modifier modifying the noun it touches. That's the only option.

In the structure [noun][participle], the participle usually would be an noun-modifier modifying the noun, but participles can be either noun-modifiers or verb modifier, and this allows them considerably more flexibility in their use. Example
Yankee Doodle came to town riding on a pony.
In that oft-quoted sentence, the participle "riding" is acting as a verb modifier, modifying the action of the clause. It describes the manner in which Yankee Doodle "came." The participle "riding" is not modifying the noun "town;" thus, the "that" clause substitution would produce a very different, illogical, and incorrect sentence.
Yankee Doodle came to a town that rides on a pony (!)

Often if the participle is a verb or clause modifier, it would be separated from the noun by a comma:
The teacher yelled at the class, scaring the students into obedience.

It all depends on context. In the question about Lucretia Mott (OG13, SC #41; OG2016, SC #60), (C) & (D) have identical meanings, but as you know, both are wrong in the larger context of that sentence.

My friend, it is 100% impossible to arrive at mastery of SC by learning some ideal collection of rules. The problem is that there is always too much that depends on context. To arrive at mastery, it is absolutely indispensable to develop the habit of reading. See:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2014/how-to-imp ... bal-score/

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Given Kudos: 147
Send PM
hi experts,
I genuinely want your help to distinct A and C, although I totally got that evidence as the subject of sentence is incorrect,
I am confused for the OE for A and C, because I want to make it clear why "suggesting" in A is ambiguous.
OE for A wrote:
Furthermore, the dependent clause starting with suggesting may be construed with either the evidence or the scientists,

C, which is correct, use "suggesting" as well,
why suggesting in C is correct , while suggesting in A is ambiguous.

one more question,
OE for D wrote:
D In this context it would be preferable to use a verb (emerged),

my understand is that suggest introduce a THAT clause include action and doer, or introduce a noun/noun phrase that won't include both doer and action,
am I right?

waiting for your reply
have a nice day
>_~
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28581 [2]
Kudos