Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 06:30 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 06:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [2]
Given Kudos: 102
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.35
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [1]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Technology, Operations
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
WE:Other (Health Care)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V42
GPA: 3.05
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V44
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Calling All 2015 Consortium Applicants Thread [#permalink]
Kudos
LazyBoy8 wrote:
UrbanPrep wrote:
JackSparr0w wrote:
Yeah that's an area of concern for me too... Not sure how the GMAT thing works/how they figure it out. My assumption would be the schools provide them to employers? I'm likely going to dance with the GMAT once more, unfortunately.

I'm taking mine again on Monday smh. I hear the hurdle for URM's at MBB is 680 for what its worth.......

Please don't do that. The hurdle is score where everyone else scores. If 700+ is the norm hit that mark. If you aim low you will hit low. I went into this thing hearing that "if you're urm all you need is like a 650 for top schools" I hated hearing that. It is a dangerous mindset to go in with and we need to smash it. Score where you set your mark. Don't shoot low because of your background. I am a URM btw.

It's just like martial arts: don't try to hit the board, try to hit 2 inches behind the board!

In other news, I can't wait for the OP, I will fly in from my overseas posting to hit it up. Looking forward to mexican food again, and networking/getting leads on internships!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
One thing I am grateful for in this process is the growth of my personal network. I have gotten a chance to talk to a lot of really cool people. Just reached out to another Tuck person yesterday who I learned of from a common friend. He immediately sent me his number to give him a call to discuss Tuck further. Pretty cool to get to know so many new and interesting people. It surprises me how willing some people (especially Tuckies but I am biased) are willing to take time to talk to you. The wait continues for Consortium and outside schools. Ugh. My sleep has been terrible lately.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [4]
Given Kudos: 44
Send PM
Kudos
I'm right there with you. I've met some really great people in this process, which has made it feel more communal and possible to get through (as this is a very individual process and can feel pretty lonely if you're not going through it with friends or coworkers.)

I figure the application process is just a taste of what business school will actually be like...networking, lots of work, but overall, a really good time.

And my nerves have been and will remain shot until the end of next week. #overthisstress
Just got back from a trip to Northwestern, then NYU, then UT-Austin to interview.
Weather was miserable at all those places, and it was a ton of travel for 4 days. I kept getting the middle seat assigned too.... But, I figured I need to put in the face time at these programs and I wanted to get them all done.
Then, I woke up this morning to a Darden invite.
I'm excited and grateful, but I don't think I can go back to back to the east coast again, (I'm west coast based) I think this one is going to have to be a Skype interview. Didn't expect one this late in the game. So if you are waiting for Darden, they are still sending out invites.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Concentration: Healthcare, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
magse7en wrote:
Just got back from a trip to Northwestern, then NYU, then UT-Austin to interview.
Weather was miserable at all those places, and it was a ton of travel for 4 days. I kept getting the middle seat assigned too.... But, I figured I need to put in the face time at these programs and I wanted to get them all done.
I'm excited and grateful, but I don't think I can go back to back to the east coast again, (I'm west coast based) I think this one is going to have to be a Skype interview. Didn't expect one this late in the game. So if you are waiting for Darden, they are still sending out invites.

I'm sure the visits will pay off!

Darden is notorious for late invites - I was reading their previous year forum and I saw a person got his invite on 3/18 and was admitted! Wish you the best.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
LazyBoy8 wrote:
UrbanPrep wrote:
JackSparr0w wrote:
Yeah that's an area of concern for me too... Not sure how the GMAT thing works/how they figure it out. My assumption would be the schools provide them to employers? I'm likely going to dance with the GMAT once more, unfortunately.

I'm taking mine again on Monday smh. I hear the hurdle for URM's at MBB is 680 for what its worth.......

Please don't do that. The hurdle is score where everyone else scores. If 700+ is the norm hit that mark. If you aim low you will hit low. I went into this thing hearing that "if you're urm all you need is like a 650 for top schools" I hated hearing that. It is a dangerous mindset to go in with and we need to smash it. Score where you set your mark. Don't shoot low because of your background. I am a URM btw.

Agreed - very dangerous mindset if it is applicable. My target is well over that score!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
kboejoe wrote:
UrbanPrep wrote:
JackSparr0w wrote:
When you all refer to "Top 15" which rankings are people going by? US News?

I think the consensus is that the schools that are top 15 in the consortium are Tuck, Ross, Haas, NYU, Darden, UCLA, Yale. these schools can afford to be more selective in regard to their interviews and admissions through the consortium than the other member schools. Correct me if I'm wrong though. Those 7 plus Duke and the M7 are considered top 15!

Take a look at the methodologies for ranking when you're considering them. I was using US News which relies heavily on ratings from other schools, admissions information, and career placement stats. I switched over to Bloomberg after I read their methodology, which is basically a survey of graduating students to see what they thought of the program, as well as a satisfaction survey of the people hiring the students from those programs. I very much appreciate this methodology. Also keep in mind that ratings are really measuring how good a school was a couple year ago, your experience may differ.

Ratings are a tricky thing. Like rating the "best car" or "best food", it's really up to you to determine what experience you want and what school will give you the best chance of getting it. If you can find a rating system that measures schools in a manner you find useful, you're in luck! Otherwise, get all the information you can and compare.

Ratings are very tricky - That new Bloomberg List is sketchy. Its personal preference but I don't see anyway Duke can be #1. haha
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
magse7en wrote:

Congrats!!! You should contact Darden ASAP. I also received and invite and was given only a very short window to interview. I requested skype because of the inconvenience of having to travel there will only days notice but I was told all domestic candidates are required to come to campus to interview.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Rosemariecourt wrote:
magse7en wrote:

Congrats!!! You should contact Darden ASAP. I also received and invite and was given only a very short window to interview. I requested skype because of the inconvenience of having to travel there will only days notice but I was told all domestic candidates are required to come to campus to interview.

Were they able to accommodate your request?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
UrbanPrep wrote:
Rosemariecourt wrote:
magse7en wrote:

No. I was told I had to come to campus or forfeit the interview. That kind of left a bad taste in my mouth about Darden. I received my invite and was expected to make my way to campus to interview by this Friday. So I had to pay an unnecessary amount of money to get there for my interview Friday.

Also, the adcom coordinating the invites told me that we have to interview by march 6 to be considered for the scholarships. So try to schedule yours by march 6.
Oh shoot.
That's going to put me in a tough spot.
That's unfair of Darden.
I was given 10 days to schedule my interview. Hopefully they can work something out with me.

Intern
Intern
Send PM
magse7en wrote:
Oh shoot.
That's unfair of Darden.
I was given 10 days to schedule my interview. Hopefully they can work something out with me.

Interesting. So I wonder how that works with the fellowship decisions then since that's happening next week. I was only offered this week to interview and the adcom said it was because of the scholarship decisions.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Rosemariecourt wrote:
UrbanPrep wrote:

No. I was told I had to come to campus or forfeit the interview. That kind of left a bad taste in my mouth about Darden. I received my invite and was expected to make my way to campus to interview by this Friday. So I had to pay an unnecessary amount of money to get there for my interview Friday.

Also, the adcom coordinating the invites told me that we have to interview by march 6 to be considered for the scholarships. So try to schedule yours by march 6.

Well i'm sure things will work out the best!

If you haven't already booked your travel information. The airport in C Vill is small-Flights are expensive. A lot of folks fly into metro DC and take the Amtrak or drive down. If you can work out the timing that will surely be the most cost effective option.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Rosemariecourt wrote:
magse7en wrote:
Oh shoot.
That's unfair of Darden.

Interesting. So I wonder how that works with the fellowship decisions then since that's happening next week. I was only offered this week to interview and the adcom said it was because of the scholarship decisions.

I would think it depends on were you ranked the school. I assume they would want all consortium applicants Admitted/Dinged/WL by the draft. But you can still be offered outside scholarships from the school even if not the consortium fellowship. I met applicant who received a scholarship from a school she ranked 6th....
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Send PM
UrbanPrep wrote:
Rosemariecourt wrote:
magse7en wrote:
Oh shoot.
That's unfair of Darden.

I would think it depends on were you ranked the school. I assume they would want all consortium applicants Admitted/Dinged/WL by the draft. But you can still be offered outside scholarships from the school even if not the consortium fellowship. I met applicant who received a scholarship from a school she ranked 6th....

A scholarship from 6th ranked? Woah they must have had some amazing stats. was it a full ride?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
LazyBoy8 wrote:
UrbanPrep wrote:

A scholarship from 6th ranked? Woah they must have had some amazing stats. was it a full ride?

Yup - I think it was a mixture of her being a great candidate and the school not being the highly ranked and really wanting to attract her. She ended up getting the fellowship to her first choice so it all became moot!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V42
GPA: 3.05
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Rosemariecourt wrote:

Wow, I'm really sorry to hear that. That's a brutal move on their part. Hopefully it makes you look extra eager to be a part of the program!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  41   42   43   44   45   46   47  ...  87   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts