Last visit was: 02 May 2024, 13:29 It is currently 02 May 2024, 13:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51466 [0]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 640 Q46 V31
GMAT 2: 680 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.2
WE:Sales (Other)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q46 V46
GPA: 2.32
WE:Corporate Finance (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: IE MBA April 2014 intake: Calling all applicants [#permalink]
Got the call yesterday. Scheduled the interview for the 25th - three days after my ESADE interview.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
siddharthkanjilal wrote:
Got the call yesterday. Scheduled the interview for the 25th - three days after my ESADE interview.

I'm trying to decide between ESADE and IE right now. Would you share your thoughts on the schools?

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
thefinancelady wrote:
siddharthkanjilal wrote:

I'm trying to decide between ESADE and IE right now. Would you share your thoughts on the schools?

Thanks!

He thefinancelady. Sorry for the late response. I received an admit from IE yesterday but am yet to hear anything from ESADE. I also am finding it extremely difficult to select between the two especially considering my short and long term career goals. Both colleges have large alumni bases and official chapters in the UAE and both are very focused on entrepreneurship.

IE seems to score better in most of the rankings except The Economist's which has ESADE higher. Regarding duration, I was initially looking at one year programs only. However, people have stressed a lot about the importance of an internship and the exchange school program; I am not sure if 13 months at IE will be feasible for doing both. Also I was told by my IE interviewer that internships are NOT usually arranged by the career center. My ESADE interviewer did mention that IE is not as recognized in Spain as ESADE or IESE but that is probably because it is the newest of the three schools. These are probably my only concerns about IE.

It would be foolish of me to comment about ESADE at this stage without having received a decision.

Personally I think my ESADE interview went better than IE's and I was not very confident of landing this admit. But I believe my essay, video and powerpoint presentations were strong (I had spent A LOT OF TIME on them).

I am now discussing with my business associates, family and friends and will probably take a call end of this month. Hopefully ESADE will respond by then as well. Please let me know your views.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: General Management, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
Send PM
Has anybody started looking for accommodation?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I'm still trying to decide April vs November intake. I can't decide if an internship is worth delaying my start (and graduation) by six months. Any thoughts?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
thefinancelady wrote:
I'm still trying to decide April vs November intake. I can't decide if an internship is worth delaying my start (and graduation) by six months. Any thoughts?

Internships are harder for those going for the April intake (based on feedback I have received from a current student) . I guess an internship is important for anyone who is looking to change his or her line. If that is not a concern for you, I would agree that delaying makes no sense. I also understand that the April intake has fewer students (around 200+) compared to November (500+).

All the best!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
GPA: 3.81
WE:Information Technology (Health Care)
Send PM
Anyone who has taken interview recently with IE .. can you please share your experience in terms of questions and timings?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Send PM
Hi siddharthkanjilal,

How is the job scene in Spain and what prospects does someone has as far as international placements are concerned? I mean if you have done all these research.

From what i have learned, its difficult to settle in Spain or for that matter in Europe since work visas are hard to find. Also, language is a major barrier.

Any inputs will be really helpful.

Cheers!!
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10029 [0]
Given Kudos: 4544
Test: Test
Send PM
Expert Reply
This is for the information of all R3 as well as European school applicants.

Admissanado experts - Jon and Lauren - conducted Q&A chat in GMATCLUB chat room few days back in which they offered tips and guidance to prospective R3 & European school applicants.
I have updated the first post with the transcript of this chat. Interested members can download this transcript from there.

Good luck to everyone applying and have a nice weekend. :)

Thank You!
MBA Section Director
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hello GMATCLUB Members,

We are bringing a webinar with Q&A as well as chats with current students focused on the Waitlisted Applicants.
The first event of this series is Webinar conducted by Admissionado's Founder and HBS Alum Jon Frank. Jon will share his suggestions followed by a Q&A session. This is your opportunity to ask your specific questions. The webinar will take place on 31st January 2014, Friday, 9 AM PST.

We shall also be conducting chat sessions with some Current students from various schools who were successfully admitted from a waitlist so you can learn what to expect from the process, what worked for them, and what it takes. These chats shall take place in our Chat Room. We will release the times & Dates (all will be the first week of February)

Registration Link: https://www3.gotomeeting.com/register/531329318
Download event to your Outlook
If you are on a waitlist - you do NOT want to miss these!

The webinar and chats are free. There will be a 30-minute Q&A session at the end of the Webinar on Friday Jan 31st at 9 AM PST - join to have your questions answered.

Thank You! :)
MBA Section Director
Send PM
Expert Reply

!
Join us for a chat with several current students who have been admitted from WL last year.
When: Tue Feb 4th at 9 AM PST
Where: GMAT Club Chat

The recording of the Getting off a Waitlist Webinar is now available on Youtube:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61Lo8LAfOIQ[/youtube]
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
i have a few questions related to IE business school.

1) Whats the job scene post IMBA? I have done some research( looked online, talk to Alumni etc), the common theme is it all depends on you . Work visas are hard to find, and most of the alumni that i talked to had to move back to their home country.

2) Spanish is a must. You just cannot work without it in Spain. So better to learn the language before you get in .
3) Without the scholarship the degree is quite expensive, considering that its just a one year course.

PLease do let me know if my observations are correct? I will really appreciate the same.
IE Thread Master
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Hello All,

I've started a new thread for us November, 2014 IMBA applicants at IE:
november-2014-imba-at-ie-calling-all-applicants-168546.html
IE Thread Master
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Hello All,

It's been two weeks since my first interview, and I just received a mail informing me about a second interview (date to be scheduled).
I'm wondering if any of you on this forum attended a second interview? If so, please share insights!

Thank you!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM

IE is a top-ranked international MBA program in Madrid, Spain. The Financial Times ranks the program 12th in the world and Bloomberg Business Week ranks it 2nd among non-US programs. Graduates enjoy job placement around the world – with the help of IE’s 50,000 global alumni and 27 representative offices building relationships with companies on every continent: 35% of the class accepted positions in Europe, 28% in Latin America, 12% in Asia, 12% in North America, and 8% in the Middle East and North Africa after graduation. Graduates enter diverse industries as well: the four largest fields are consulting (19% of graduates), financial services (19% of graduates), consumer products (14% of graduates), and technology (13% of graduates).

IE has three intakes (start dates) each year, so it truly has a rolling application review calendar. At any time of year, you can apply to IE! When applying, applicants must choose which session they are applying to (April, September, or January) and are accepted for the program date they chose AND the one thereafter, a big advantage in case of an unexpected hurdle in the way of attendance. (I’ve had many clients who have had to reapply after receiving acceptances to other programs when unexpected professional or personal changes have occurred because in most cases, top MBA programs will not offer deferred admissions.)

IE’s application offers a lot of choice, allowing applicants to shine the spotlight on what makes them special in truly unique ways. For example, there are 12 prompts, and applicants must respond to any three of them; however, only one of the applicant’s three responses must be answered with an essay of 400-600 words. The other two responses may be either essays OR photographs, drawings, videos, animations, or presentations a la Prezi or Slideshare hosted online.

Here are the 12 prompts to choose from, with my guidance in blue beneath each:
1. If you had the opportunity, what actions would you demand of the United Nations Secretary General and why?

IE’s International MBA program aims to develop leaders who understand other perspectives and challenge the status quo. This is a great question to answer if you have been politically active or involved in a global issue that is important to you since it will provide you a platform to discuss the issue, the efforts that you have made to shape it, and how the UN could play a role in addressing it further.

2. Describe the situation with the greatest ethical complexity that you have faced in your professional or academic life, and how your input helped resolve it.

I like the phrasing of this question because it is clear where other programs sometimes obfuscate: ethical complexity means that it was not simple to determine the right thing to do; there was no one ideal path to follow. This is your chance to demonstrate the level of decision-making you have enjoyed in your career and how you have creatively navigated complicated ethical waters.

3. Describe a time when you took a great risk. What was the outcome?

IE places a great emphasis on entrepreneurship and is seeking risk takers who think unconventionally: people who are willing to leave a steady, low return behind to instead pursue an uncertain but potentially high reward. A good essay or presentation here will show the admissions office your analysis of the potential gain and what actions you took to improve your chances of success.

4. Cite at least one example of when your leadership had an impact on or changed a certain situation, and justify how an IE Master’s Degree program would help you to strengthen or improve this competence.

Leadership can turn situations around. A good answer to this question will explain or show what the situation was and why you felt it needed to be changed. Then, it will demonstrate your leadership – how you wooed, cajoled, and earned the support of others above, parallel, and below you in the organization to accept your ideas and how those ideas improved the situation. Strong essays will end with insight into IE’s Behavioral Fitness leadership training program and the areas in which IE will help you further improve your leadership skills.

5. Describe the most outstanding leader you have worked with. Indicate some aspects of the way you work that are similar to the way this leader works and others that are different.

A description of a role model’s leadership requires some insight into how he or she leads, makes use of his/her talents to gather internal and external support to make an impact. If you have enjoyed a front row seat to excellent management, then this essay will allow you to highlight what you’ve learned and how you’ve borrowed from that example in your own leadership experiences.

6. You have just participated in an important meeting with your superior. How will you ensure that every part of the instructions you received will properly reach all subordinates, suppliers and clients, located in different parts of the world?

IE’s International MBA program is comprised of students from 70 countries and myriad industries. The answer to this question is not just about an email that you cc to everyone , but rather must demonstrate that you understand the challenge and opportunity of connecting with global teams. Good answers to this prompt will not remain in the theoretical but will instead draw upon similar global experiences from the applicant’s past to prove their international leadership ability and cultural understanding.

7. Do you think that the lifestyle of the inhabitants of your town or city reflects behavior that is in line with the concept of sustainable development? In your opinion, what should be improved?

If you have been involved in municipal or local community service, this is the ideal essay to shine the spotlight on the issues in its sustainable development that matter to you most. IE seeks strong critical thinking skills in its students: the ability to assess strengths and weaknesses in the status quo, so good responses to this prompt will make use of that ability to discuss the ways in which denizens are living sustainably (ethically, responsibly, amid diversity, and with consideration to the environment) and could improve in doing so.

8. What do you believe are the greatest challenges facing the sector or industry you would like to specialize in at IE? What role do you hope to be able to play in this sector or industry in the medium term?

This essay or presentation offers you the opportunity to discuss the exciting advancements and challenging obstacles that lie on the horizon for your target industry. Good answers to this question will show your excitement for your chosen industry and your readiness for it.

9. Show us an activity you enjoy doing. Tell us how you think it contributes to your personal and professional development.

Oh well, they couldn’t all be phrased in interesting ways to make the applicant think, could they? This is an opportunity to share some of your experiences from outside of work and how they have helped you grow in the qualities and skills that IE is seeking: risk taking, innovation, cultural awareness, and leadership are among the most important.

10. How do you imagine social interaction within 10 years, taking into consideration the impact of technology on human relations?

Here’s an opportunity to think creatively and use a bit of a crystal ball to predict how communication and interaction will change by the year 2025. If you consider yourself particularly creative or prescient, this essay will offer you a perfect canvas to paint your prediction for the not-so-distant future.

11. If all of the world’s cultural heritage (sports, music, fashion, architecture, literature, painting, etc..) was contained in a time capsule, what would you include to demonstrate the legacy of your country?

IE’s student body is diverse for a reason: IE aims to expose its students to the sundry cultural mindsets around the world. This prompt offers you the opportunity to demonstrate how you will contribute to that discussion. What unique elements of your country’s culture do you feel embody its nature and uniqueness? Personal essays that inspire an emotional or visceral connection to that culture in the reader will be the most memorable.

12. How do you envision the city of the future?

Like option 10 above, this question allows you to share your vision of the future, albeit not limited to just a small 10-year jump through time. What changes do you anticipate in transportation, energy, industry, safety needs, education, population and/or family structure and how will they affect the structure and motion of future cities?

If you would like professional guidance with your IE IMBA application, please consider Accepted’s MBA essay editing and consulting or our application package which include advising, editing, interview coaching, and a resume edit for the IE IMBA application.

By Jennifer Bloom who has been helping applicants to the top MBA programs draft their resumes, application forms, letters of recommendation, and essays for 15 years. She is happy to serve as your personal coach and hand-holder throughout the entire process. There’s no time like the present to begin!

Related Resources:
Best MBA Programs: A Guide to Selecting the Right One
An IE Grad Reflects on Spain, School, and Career Searching
School-Specific MBA Application Essay Tips

Accepted.com's experienced admissions consultants can help you create the most impressive application possible with comprehensive packages, or provide targeted assistance from picking perfect programs to designing a dazzling resume, constructing engaging essays, or preparing for intense interviews…and more! Accepted.com has guided thousands of applicants to acceptances at top MBA programs since 1994 – we know what works and what doesn't, so contact us to get started now!

This article originally appeared on the Accepted Admissions Consulting Blog, the official blog of Accepted.com.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM

Spain’s IE Business School recently announced it has redesigned its one-year international MBA degree to allow students to design a custom program in accordance with their own specific interests and career plans. Students can center on becoming creators by opting for the track with a special focus on entrepreneurship, or transformers, if they prefer to concentrate on developing their managerial careers in the corporate world.

The new IMBA will start this month with a student body comprising some 90% international students from 65 countries, with an average of 5 years of professional experience. The program also has Spanish and English-language versions.

Students can choose from over 150 elective courses to personalize their learning experience, and can opt to develop business projects or work on social projects in South Africa, Ethiopia, Peru, or Brazil. The program offers a total of 66 international destinations designed to enrich the MBA experience.

IE Business School’s International MBA program will also include Professional Fitness sessions throughout the entire program. Students will use the sessions to design a professional growth strategy, attending sector-specific workshops and participating in the new Talent Forum, a three-day job event run in collaboration with recruiters.

They will also build on their contact networks during the Global Network Week, travel with the Venture Lab initiative to get to know entrepreneurial ecosystems in other countries, or present their own business projects during the Venture Days organized by IE in cities worldwide, including Shanghai, Sao Paulo, Mexico D.F., Providence, Berlin, Tokyo and Lisbon.

Students will develop their soft skills as part of the new Behavioral Fitness model, aimed at building on their capacity for leadership, communication, management of high-performance teams, mindfulness, influence, and change management, all key factors for success in the field of business management.

Participants will also be able to take part in the Post MBA Long Exchange Program, a three-month exchange program with any one of 58 business schools worldwide, including Chicago Booth School of Business, Babson College, NYU Stern School of Business, London Business School, or CKGSB Beijing.

“The program has a marked focus on entrepreneurship, social commitment, and innovation, as well as bringing added impetus to students’ soft skills and capacity to map a career path,” says Santiago Íñiguez de Onzoño, Dean of IE Business School, explaining in a statement how the redesign of IE’s International MBA will further strengthen the international nature and humanistic approach of the program.

For more information about the revamped International MBA, visit the IE Business School website.

If you are looking for guidance on your MBA application, Stacy Blackman Consulting can help with hourly and comprehensive consulting services. Contact us to learn more. Visit the website for Stacy Blackman Reviews, and check out the company’s e-publications for more in depth school-by-school guidance.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72979 [0]
Given Kudos: 18903
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Archived 'Calling All IE Applicants' Topic
Hi there,
You've reached an old 'Calling All IE Applicants' discussion which is now outdated and has been archived. No more replies are possible here.
Looking for the latest discussion? Check out this up-to-date Calling All IE Applicants Discussion for the most recent conversations on this topic.
Interested in more from this school? Visit our dedicated IE Forum to dive into all things related to IE's MBA program.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts