Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 14:37 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 14:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Sloan '17 (M)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V40
GMAT 2: 710 Q45 V41
GPA: 3
WE:Engineering (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Calling all MIT-Sloan Applicants(2015 Intake) -Class of 2017 [#permalink]
FROM Sloan Admissions Blog: Finance Symposium and MBA Application Fee Waiver
I invite anyone interested in pursuing an MBA or a career in finance to register for our Focus on Finance Symposiumheld on the campus of the MIT Sloan School of Management, Saturday, May 9th. Attendees will participate in MBA-level courses and round-table discussions, and interact with current MBA students and faculty. Registration is $100, and attendees will have their application fee waived when they apply to the MIT Sloan MBA Program in the future.

This special workshop will introduce you to the cutting-edge financial research at MIT Sloan. Learn more about finance opportunities at MIT Sloan, including the MBA Finance Track, as well as finance-focused clubs, conferences, electives, and career opportunities. As one of our Finance Track students wrote,

“No other institution on this planet can give one such a heightened sense of awareness and robust financial arsenal to analyze vigorously and complete the task at hand with confidence and precision.”

You can also hear more about our legacy of innovative financial research in this video featuring Antoinette Schoar, head of the MIT Sloan Finance group.

I look forward to meeting you here on campus on May 9th!

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V46
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Admitted (via phone call).
Have not made a decision yet and can't attend Admit weekend.
Would love to chat with other admits, PM me.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Sloan '17 (M)
Send PM
cmsgfr wrote:
Admitted (via phone call).
Have not made a decision yet and can't attend Admit weekend.
Would love to chat with other admits, PM me.

what do you have to decide with?

i think really it comes down to career, people, then location.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [0]
Send PM

Are you considering an MBA and planning on pursuing a career in finance? Then you may want to look into the upcoming finance symposium hosted by MIT Sloan School of Management on Saturday, May 9th.

This day-long workshop will cover the numerous finance opportunities at MIT Sloan, including the MBA Finance Track, as well as the various conferences, electives, and student clubs available. It also offers an inside look into the admissions process and career opportunities after an MBA.

According to the announcement on the MIT Sloan MBA admissions blog, attendees will participate in MBA-level courses and round-table discussions, and have a chance to interact with faculty and current MBA students, who will join participants for lunch and chat about  the MIT Sloan experience.

Maura Herson, director of the MBA and Master of Science in Management Studies program office, said in a statement that the Focus on Finance event was created to help young professionals imagine a potential future career in finance through interacting with faculty members, current students, and MBA admissions and career staff.

“Our goal is to give early-career finance professionals an opportunity to consider how an MBA, and in particular an MBA from MIT Sloan, could help them to accelerate their trajectory in the industry or to transfer their skills into a related field,” Herson explained.

Registration for the Focus on Finance Symposium is $100, and attendees who later apply to the MIT Sloan MBA program will have their application fee waived.

If you are looking for guidance on your MBA application, Stacy Blackman Consulting can help with hourly and comprehensive consulting services. Contact us to learn more. Visit the website for Stacy Blackman Reviews, and check out the company’s e-publications for more in depth school-by-school guidance.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.97
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
I was wondering has anybody received fellowiship or some kind of financial aid?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.8
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
khatia_ch wrote:

No fellowship, and unless I am mistaking, you can't fill out the financial aid form until you pay your deposit. MIT is also not known for giving out much aid.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
khatia_ch wrote:

I was told that most of the fellowship offers went out with the acceptance packages.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
khatia_ch wrote:

In the email this morning it says that fellowships have all been given out. Makes my choice pretty easy.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.97
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Hokie2MBA wrote:
khatia_ch wrote:

I was told that most of the fellowship offers went out with the acceptance packages.

Does that mean I should have received fellowship notification via e-mail or only with hard copy mail?
Nobody on gmatclub got fellowship, it is weird!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
OMG, Just got admitted from the waitlist.

I AM BEYOND EXCITED!!!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Tania7 wrote:

I AM BEYOND EXCITED!!!

Congrats!! You going and try to make it to AdMIT weekend?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
techitytech wrote:
Tania7 wrote:

I AM BEYOND EXCITED!!!

Congrats!! You going and try to make it to AdMIT weekend?

Thanks! Unfortunately, I probably can't make it to Admit weekend, that's ok tho.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
khatia_ch wrote:
Hokie2MBA wrote:
khatia_ch wrote:

Does that mean I should have received fellowship notification via e-mail or only with hard copy mail?
Nobody on gmatclub got fellowship, it is weird!

Written offers went out with the acceptance packages. I think people on gmatclub are just being cagey. I know people with fellowship offers. They all were told verbally when they received their admittance call and then received the written fellowship offer with the acceptance package.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V40
GMAT 2: 710 Q45 V41
GPA: 3
WE:Engineering (Military & Defense)
Send PM
In from the waitlist a few days ago w/ fellowship.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
MIT Sloan School of Management has entered into a 10-year collaboration with Bank Negara Malaysia to establish the Asia School of Business (ASB) in the English-speaking global financial center of Kuala Lumpur. The school, which is scheduled to open in September 2016, will host an inaugural class of 25 to 35 students into a two-year MBA program.

“The distinguishing feature of the ASB will be the use of Action Learning as a core part of the educational process,” explains Charles Fine, the Chrysler Leaders for Global Operations Professor of Management at MIT Sloan, who will serve as the founding president and dean of the ASB.

“Every class that we offer and every lecture that we give will be intimately connected with the companies and institutions in the region so that students emerge with a deep understanding of the business, political, and economic issues that come to play in ASEAN and beyond,” Fine says, adding that “Our intent is to create a world-class school of management in Southeast Asia.“

The ASEAN region, which is comprised of ten countries including Malaysia, Indonesia, and the Philippines, has an economy valued at $2.4 trillion and a population of 600 million. The region is the fourth-largest export market of the U.S. and the fifth-largest overall trading partner.

The ASB’s curriculum will apply MIT Sloan’s values and approach, according to Richard Schmalensee, Co-Chair of the ASB, and the former Dean of MIT Sloan.

“Like Sloan’s, the ASB program is based on three pillars,” he says. “The first pillar is a tradition of doing rigorous, intellectual work on the important problems businesses face. The second pillar is a global perspective, with particular emphasis on Asia for the ASB. The final pillar—which is an integral part of MIT’s history and legacy and one that the ASB will also emphasize—is a strong spirit of innovation and entrepreneurship in enterprises of all sizes.”

The ASB will ultimately have its own faculty, but in the short term professors from MIT Sloan will teach at the school and provide guest lectures. In year one, classes will take place in the bank’s state-of-the-art learning center and students will live at its residential campus. Architectural plans are underway to build a new campus on nearby land.

Faculty at the ASB will also have exchange opportunities via MIT’s International Faculty Fellows program. Professors will spend time at MIT’s Cambridge campus participating in activities designed to boost teaching effectiveness, improve research, and enhance scholarship.

As part of the collaboration, the ASB students will spend four weeks on an educational exchange program at MIT Sloan learning about U.S. business. Students will visit companies in the Boston area, attend lectures from MIT Sloan faculty, and complete an Action Learning project with MIT Sloan MBA students.

These exchanges aim to increase MIT Sloan’s knowledge of ASEAN, and deepen its ties with the worldwide academic community.

“While the journey ahead for Asia has tremendous promise, businesses will need to rise to new challenges arising from the changes that are reshaping the regional and global environment. The ASB aims to advance the frontiers of business innovation and entrepreneurship in Asia and to develop future leaders,” says Dr. Zeti Akhtar Aziz, Governor of Bank Negara Malaysia and Co-Chair of the ASB Board of Governors.

Tuition to the ASB will be in the range of US$40,000 per year.
You may also be interested in:
MIT Sloan Finance Symposium Includes MBA Application Fee Waiver

If you are looking for guidance on your MBA application, Stacy Blackman Consulting can help with hourly and comprehensive consulting services. Contact us to learn more. Visit the website for Stacy Blackman Reviews, and check out the company’s e-publications for more in depth school-by-school guidance.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Send PM
FROM Sloan Admissions Blog: New MBA Application Dates and Essays Revealed
By popular demand, I am happy to announce that we will have 3 application rounds this year!

Round 1:

Application deadline: September 17, 2015

Decisions released: December 16, 2015

Round 2:

Application deadline: January 14, 2016

Decisions released: April 4, 2016

Round 3:

Application Deadline: April 11, 2016

Decisions released: May 18, 2016.

We have one required essay at the time of submission (that is right, just one question this year!): Tell us about a recent success you had: How did you accomplish this? Who else was involved? What hurdles did you encounter? What type of impact did this have? (500 words or fewer).

A second (short-answer) question will be asked of those invited to interview: The mission of the MIT Sloan School of Management is to develop principled, innovative leaders who improve the world and to generate ideas that advance management practice. Please share with us something about your past that aligns with this mission. (250 words or fewer).

We will also continue to ask an open-ended, optional question.

The application will go live in early July.

Stay tuned for more application tips and our summer event schedule!

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
SVP
SVP
Send PM
MIT Sloan has just announced the essay questions and deadlines for the class of 2018. This year there is only one required question, a second required short-answer for those invited to interview, and an optional open-ended essay.

For many years MIT asked a series of behavioral questions for the admissions essays because past performance was considered to be the best predictor of candidates’ future success. This year the one required essay is a behavioral question again. As you approach topics for the required question consider if you will also answer the optional question. MIT Sloan is looking for people with integrity, passion, creativity, intellectual abilities and drive and determination. Do you have a recent success that will demonstrate some or most of those traits? The success can be professional or outside of work, though should have some relationship to your professional aspirations if possible. If the situation is not one that demonstrates many of the traits MIT Sloan is seeking in candidates, you may also decide to include the optional essay in your application.

We have one required essay at the time of submission: Tell us about a recent success you had: How did you accomplish this? Who else was involved? What hurdles did you encounter? What type of impact did this have? (500 words or fewer).

This essay question is set up to be a behavioral essay question, one that seeks to understand how you think and act in various situations. We often recommend using a framework called STAR to approach questions like this and make sure you are covering all of the required components. STAR stands for: Situation, Task, Action, and Results.

The SITUATION sets the stage and introduces the challenge you faced. It can be a simple sentence like: “My company’s key product was aging and we needed to find an area of growth to maintain revenues.”

Your TASK is a bit more detailed and identifies what solution you decided to implement to address the situation. For example: “I proposed setting up an innovation tournament for our global strategy team to come up with ideas.”

The meat of the essay is the ACTION. Describe in detail what you did to implement the task. Talk about the stakeholders you had to convince, any hurdles to setting up the tournament, how you encouraged buy in among all employees and any other action you personally took to accomplish your goal.

RESULTS can be relatively brief, and ideally quantitative. For example: “the tournament revealed 10 viable new product ideas, 3 of which are currently in development.”

The ACTION part of the essay should be the majority of the response, but setting up the situation clearly and demonstrating results is important and effective to a strong response. As MIT typically asked in the past, make sure to describe: “what you thought, felt, said, and did.” The admissions committee wants to see you developing creative solutions, leading others, and overcoming challenges to “visualize you in action.”

A second short-answer question will be asked of those invited to interview: The mission of the MIT Sloan School of Management is to develop principled, innovative leaders who improve the world and to generate ideas that advance management practice. Please share with us something about your past that aligns with this mission. (250 words or fewer).

This question focuses on your intellectual skills, leadership and character. When you consider topics for this question the most important aspect will be to demonstrate character. Improving the world doesn’t have to be working for an NGO in a developing country, it could also be improving your company to have more benefit to customers or employees.

For example, perhaps you were part of an employee resource group that helped new employees with their careers, increased diversity, or served the community through volunteering. MIT Sloan also wants to see creative solutions to business problems, so make sure to explain your thinking during the experience you describe.

The Admissions Committee invites you to share anything else you would like us to know about you, in any format. If you choose to use a multimedia format, please host the information on a website and provide us the URL. More information on the MIT Sloan website.

MIT Sloan’s entirely open-ended optional essay invites applicants to respond to the essay in any format desired. This allows you to do anything you need to with this space, including clarifying any concerns or highlighting interesting aspects of your background or profile. Because there is only one required written essay this year it may be useful to use this opportunity to show the admissions committee a different angle on your candidacy. The format can be a creative way for you to showcase any technical or design skills you have, but the content should be primary.

Because this essay is highly dependent on who you are and what you wrote in the required essay, consider carefully your overall strategy and refer to the list of traits MIT Sloan is looking for in admitted students. If you have an unusual background, hobby or extracurricular experience, this may be an opportunity to provide that information to the admissions committee.

With similar questions asked by other MBA programs in the past Stacy Blackman Consulting has advised candidates on everything from photo journalism projects to customized multimedia presentations. We treat the application as a holistic process and would advise you on which aspects of your background to consider revealing in this optional essay.

Stumped by your MIT Sloan MBA application? Contact Stacy Blackman Consulting to learn how we can help.

GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70   71   72   73   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts