Last visit was: 07 May 2024, 06:42 It is currently 07 May 2024, 06:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V48
GPA: 3.28
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V40
GMAT 2: 710 Q44 V42
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [2]
Send PM
Re: Directory of MBA Applicant Blogs [#permalink]
Bookmarks
FROM The MBA Manual: Stanford Essay: “What matters most to you, and why?” Breakdown
If you have your sights on attending Stanford GSB, then you’ll have to answer the somewhat daunting essay question of “What matters most to you, and why?”  I would say that, of all of my MBA application essays, this prompt was the one that I was the most nervous about.  What matters most to me?  Well, a lot of things matter to me.  Family, friends, being a good person, etc. etc.  Is one answer any better than another?  What do the admissions officers want to see?

If one, blatantly obvious answer to the prompt doesn’t pop right into your head, don’t worry;  It definitely didn’t for me, either.  Though, what I did know is that I needed to have pertinent examples of me doing things that show how much my “thing” mattered to me, and that I should probably be able to tie it back to business school.

So, the first thing I’d recommend you do is to sit down and list out every major thing you’ve done from freshman year of undergrad and onward.  List the research, the courses, the independent studies, the international experience, the internships, the jobs, the volunteering.  List everything notable that comes to mind.  After that, take a break.

Come back to your sheet in a day or two with an investigative mindset.  Analyze what you’ve written.  What are the common themes?  Are there any trends?  For me, I started noticing an education theme.  I had worked on renovating schools in Ecuador, taught English in the DR, worked as an academic tutor, served as an English chat room partner, and even the business that I started centered around education.  It was a strange realization for me because I had never thought about education in a “this is the thing I care most about” light, but the more I thought about it, the more true it seemed.  I care about education, and my actions reflect that.  I guarantee that if you put in the time and effort to seriously reflect on your experiences over the past few years, you’ll be able to see what has been driving you this whole time, too.

With your “thing” in mind, you’re ready to begin your essay.  Keep in mind that this will be a process.  If you pump out an essay in one hour, proofread it once, and never touch it again, it probably won’t be the strongest piece that you could’ve submitted.

Stanford requires that the two essays you submit total no more than 1,150 words combined.  They suggest dedicating approximately 750 words to this essay and 400 to the “Why Stanford?” essay.

• The Hook & Realization (~150 words)
    • Business school admissions officers are reading thousands of essays.  You need something to make yours stand out.  Simply starting with “the thing that matters most to me is…” is just boring and lazy.  You want the officers to be like, “hey, remember that guy who worked with elephants in Kenya?” or “oh, yeah, she was the girl who held her own fundraiser benefiting cancer research” and the way you do that is through a memorable anecdotal hook.  (Examples from my own essay are in italics in each section).
    • The children were playing soccer with a rock. I was in Canoa, Ecuador, leading a team of international student volunteers on a playground construction project at a local school. Over the next few weeks, when I wasn’t toiling with the bamboo structure or playing tag with shrieking children, I was noticing something. It was obvious that the school didn’t have appropriate recreational equipment. That’s why I was there, after all. What was more striking to me, though, was the quality of the school itself. The entire school was only one room in size and was crumbling. I began to speak with the students in Spanish about what school supplies they had access to and what they were learning, and the results were more than disheartening. It was at this point in my life that I had a major shift in perspective and began to seriously acknowledge how pervasive the concept of unequal opportunity can be.
  • Frame the Topic (~220 words)
    • Once you’ve established what matters most to you, you’re going to have to frame it.  Does the issue sit in a larger societal context?  Mention that.  Also, tell us why this issue matters to you.  What is it about you that makes this issue matter to you but not as much to the next guy?  Make this section work for you.  Show the admissions officers why you’re unique.
    • The basic truth of the matter is that many of those children will not have a decent shot at gaining an education, following their passions, or fulfilling their dreams. Most will unfortunately end up illiterate and doing manual labor for low wages, not because they aren’t innately intelligent or hardworking, but because they never were given a chance to display that they were.
                  I believe that being a first-generation college student has afforded me a heightened feeling of sympathy to those affected by this harsh reality. My education is not something that I take for granted, and I regularly reflect on how fortunate I am to have the opportunity to earn a degree. Without the right support and resources, I would have undoubtedly been in the same position as the students in Canoa.  Without the correct environment, I would have never had the chance to show that I can work hard, that I can learn, and that I can flourish.

Uncontrollable barriers should not have the ability to hamper people’s ability to learn, grow, and live a life that they are happy with. Unfortunately, they can and often do, and I strongly believe that this truth is one of the most grossly unjust parts of life. This is why I have dedicated myself to working ceaselessly to eradicate these barriers.
  • Example of you acting on the passion (~220 words)
    • This is a way to show that you’re not just blowing smoke and can actually back up your claim with a real world example.  Stay away from mentioning something that you have already mentioned elsewhere in your application, if possible.  Instead, use this section to introduce something new or expand on something that you only listed briefly somewhere else in your app.  Again, try to make this section work for you in two ways, by backing up what you’ve said you care most about and also show some other skill you have (e.g. leadership, perseverance, etc.).
    • For example, a few years after volunteering in Ecuador I was fortunate enough to travel to the Dominican Republic to teach English at a K-5 school in Monte Cristi. Having done extensive research on the quality of education in the DR prior to the trip, I knew that things were bleak there. With shockingly low literacy rates and an astronomically high percentage of high school dropouts, the odds of receiving a solid education were low. With the country’s educational system in such disarray, the only clear path to success for students there exists in learning English and then attending a university in the US. I wanted every student to have that opportunity.
                  I began to pore over lesson plans. Using donated supplies, I created countless games, activities, and memory aids, all in the hopes that I could give these children their first step—an opportunity to learn. I can still vividly recall my time there. I was sweaty and exhausted in an overcrowded, stiflingly hot classroom, but a grin always came to my face as my students enthusiastically called out “PANE-SEAL!” when I held up a picture of a pencil. In fact, I was almost always smiling, knowing that I was helping to give these children the chance that I, too, was so fortunately given.
  • Relate it back to your career (~80 words)
    • This is your essay to business school, after all.  So you’ve outlined what you care most about and why…but so what?  What are you going to do about it?  How does this passion tie into your career and future plans?  How is a Stanford MBA going to help you do something that centers around your passion?
    • The importance of equal opportunity in an educational sense has imbued my career path with a certain vitality and direction. I seek to both work with companies that value equality and also create new organizations that can further remedy the extensive problem of disparity in access to opportunities. I have recently founded a company and launched an associated website dedicated to providing crowdfunding to all undergraduate students’ research and community projects, but I feel like this is only the start of my journey.

• Conclusion (~60 words)
    • Wrap up your final thoughts.  Reiterate what matters most to you and how Stanford GSB can play a role.
    • Ultimately, what a person does with an opportunity is up to them. However, there is a distinct difference between not taking advantage of an opportunity and never having one at all. My mission is to work to create opportunities for people, and I want the Stanford Graduate School of Business to serve as my ally in taking this initiative to the next level.

Obviously, this is just the style that worked for me and the word counts are just suggestions that I felt made the essay flow well while still being as informative as possible.  I left a little bit of wiggle room in this essay because my “Why Stanford” essay was a few words over the suggested count, but if you feel like you could use an extra sentence or two in this essay, do it.  Like I said, you won’t write this essay perfectly the first time; it will be a constant editing and revising process and it will take some time.  Definitely don’t wait until the last minute to complete an essay like this.  Other than that, the experience of writing this essay can lead to a lot of self-insight and can be quite enjoyable.  Best of luck!

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Intern
Intern
Send PM
FROM The Unlikely Capitalist: 10 Ways Finance Can Be a Force for Good
10 Ways Finance Can Be a Force for Good
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Intern
Intern
Send PM
FROM The Unlikely Capitalist: Video
Intern
Intern
Send PM
FROM The Unlikely Capitalist: How the growth of emerging markets will strain global finance
How the growth of emerging markets will strain global finance:

Emerging economies need access to capital (i.e., finance) in order to fund the projects necessary for development/jobs/alleviation of poverty, but McKinsey says money might be tightening…
Yet all those new roads, ports, water and power systems, and other kinds of public infrastructure–and the many companies building new plants and buying machinery–may put unexpected strains on the global financial system.  The McKinsey Global Institute’s (MGI) recent analysis finds that by 2030, the world’s supply of capital…will fall short of its demand for capital, or the desired level of investment needed to finance all those projects.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
FROM The Unlikely Capitalist: How Much Finance Is Too Much: Stability, Growth & Emerging Markets
How Much Finance Is Too Much: Stability, Growth & Emerging Markets
Intern
Intern
Send PM
FROM The Unlikely Capitalist: The Importance of Financial Regulation
The Importance of Financial Regulation: Before immersing in the technical details of valuing stocks,
bonds, derivatives and companies, I always told my students that the financial
system is really useful for society because it helps move money across time,
allocate risks, and fund productive investments.
My life changed starting end of 2008. Fortunately for me, I
didn’t lose my job or my house. I still do research in finance, currently on
the forces that shape corporate funding decisions and how they can lead to
excessive use of debt and great inefficiencies. But I am no longer in the silo
I occupied and I talk to many more people both in other academic fields and
outside academia. I teach a course entitled, like this conference, Finance and
Society, which draws from multiple fields, including finance, economics,
accounting, law, and political science. Even psychology, philosophy and
sociology can bring insights.
What changed my life was seeing bad research and false or
misleading claims, including from academics, affecting policy. Innocent people,
powerless and often ignorant of the issues, are harmed by bad policies.
Anat AdmatiGeorge G.C. Parker Professor of Finance and Economics, Stanford University
Intern
Intern
Send PM
FROM The Unlikely Capitalist: Michigan Ross: Center for Social Impact
Michigan Ross: Center for Social Impact:

The Center for Social Impact provides leaders with practical skills and insight to tackle complex social challenges and catalyze a career in social impact. Action-based programs offer students multidisciplinary and cross-sector opportunities to deliver social impact. The Center also hosts events to promote collaboration and inspire dialogue that accelerates social innovation on campus and in the community.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
FROM The Unlikely Capitalist: “A better, higher, harder way to go.”
“A better, higher, harder way to go.”
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Send PM
FROM The MBA Manual: Stanford Essay: “Why Stanford?” Breakdown
Essay B for Stanford GSB will essentially ask you to explain why you’re doing what you’re doing.  Namely, the essay wants to know, A) why you’re seeking to earn an MBA, and B) why you’re seeking to earn an MBA at Stanford, specifically.  Verbatim, the essay asks the following of you:

• Explain your decision to pursue graduate education in management.
  • Explain the distinctive opportunities you will pursue at Stanford.
Keeping with the suggested word count that the Stanford GSB site supplies for you, this essay is expected to be about 450 words in length.  Let’s take a look at how to tackle this essay.

1. Frame career goals and state why an MBA is necessary to achieve them (~150 words)

• The first thing that I did in my essay was state my career goal and expand on the statement a bit.  I wanted to establish a bit of overlap between Essay A and this essay to really get across the idea that what I’m passionate about penetrates all areas of my life, including the decision to apply to business school.
  • The problem of unequal educational opportunity is widespread and unjust, and is one that I intend to remedy. My long-term career goal is to launch or join a major startup dedicated to bettering education and creating educational opportunities where they do not currently exist. I look at startups like Codeacademy and Coursera that have advanced the field of education and I know that, provided with the right tools and experience, I can excel at doing the same.

• Next, I began to establish why getting an MBA was going to be a necessary step in ultimately reaching my career goals.  Keep in mind that I applied to deferred admission at Stanford GSB, so my essay mentions what I’ll do before arriving at Stanford.  However, it still focuses on the fact that those experiences will not be enough to get me to where I ultimately want to be.  I will need an MBA for that.
  • Over the next two years I will continue to gain experience in the fields of marketing, entrepreneurship, and technology by means of working full-time and tending to my budding startup. While this time will give me crucial insights into how businesses operate, I know that an MBA education will be necessary to move beyond this and towards my ultimate goal.

2. Reference something that you need in order to accomplish your goals and how Stanford can help (~50 words per “something,” repeat 3 or 4 times)

• Now that you’ve established that an MBA is necessary for you to achieve your career goals, you need to demonstrate why that is the case and why Stanford is the place that you want/need to help you.  Think about things you’ll need in order to get to the next level in your career.  Does this next step require strategic planning skills?  Or perhaps you need more knowledge in entrepreneurship.  List out what you’re lacking.  Next, go on the Stanford GSB site and find out what Stanford offers that can fill in these gaps.  Name specific courses, programs, clubs, etc.  This is how you’ll cover the “Why Stanford?” piece of the essay and show that you’ve done your research.
  • I would recommend choosing a different media to fulfill each “need.”  That is, don’t pick a course that can fill in gap 1, another course that can fill in gap 2, and a third course that can fill in gap 3.  Try to pull from different areas of the school.  Maybe reference some specific course, a club or two, and an international program offered.  This shows that you are planning on pursuing opportunities that Stanford offers across the board, and admissions officers love involved students.
  • One final piece of advice is to try to tailor your selections to what Stanford is known for and good at.  For example, Stanford is essentially unparalleled in both entrepreneurial spirit and location in Palo Alto.  These are things that you cannot get at every b-school.  They are what make Stanford Stanford, and so deserve special consideration and reference, in my opinion.
  • Below are some examples from my essay on how I referenced something that I needed from an MBA education and how Stanford, specifically, would help.
  • I have learned that founding a startup requires superior strategic planning skills, skills that are hard to cultivate without being in a managerial position. Through courses such as “Create a New Venture” and “Entrepreneurial Approaches to Education Reform” I will be able to develop these skills with pertinent coursework and lessons.

• Entrepreneurs also need networks that they can consult with. The benefits of having a group of intelligent, caring people to be able to turn to for advice, inspiration, or information are innumerable and invaluable. Through the combination of Stanford’s Entrepreneur Club and the university’s unparalleled location at the heart of the startup world I will be able to meet people just as driven as me, and I am exceptionally excited by that prospect.

• Lastly, I cannot think of more appropriate opportunities for me than the Global Experiences, and specifically the Social Innovation Study Trips in education. Having a global mindset is important to me, and the fact that I can combine this with social endeavors that I care deeply about is incredible.

3. Restate ambitions and affirm Stanford’s ability to help (~50 words)

• This section is essentially just what it sounds like.  Finish the essay on a strong note by refreshing the reader on what your goals are and affirming that Stanford is the place that you would like to be your aid in achieving them.
  • Stanford’s culture is one of collaboration and passion, and I aim to use my experiences, knowledge, and ambitions to further this culture. I want to work with others to change the world, and I truly feel that there is no better place to do this than Stanford GSB.

As was the case with Essay A, these are just recommendations based on what worked for me.  Again, I’ve left some wiggle room with the word count (the above totals only 350/400 words) in case your other essay runs long.

Intern
Intern
Send PM
FROM The Unlikely Capitalist: Chicago Booth: Social Enterprise Lab
: Social ventures, both non-profits and for-profits, seek to better the world in such industries as education, microfinance, workforce development, public health and community development, among others. Organizations that operate in the social sector face unique challenges and opportunities based on their social mission objectives. This class will analyze different social venture business models industries through lab projects, as well as incorporate theoretical discussions on major trends and issues in the sector.The lab projects are intended to enhance the understanding of the challenges of operating and growing social ventures where ‘profits’ are often sacrificed for mission. A large component of the course will be a group project to assist a local social enterprise on a specific challenge such as developing or expanding income-earning programs, pricing strategies, organizational development, marketing and branding strategies, etc. Five students in a group will conduct research and make actionable recommendations for their client. These projects will be set up in advance. The anticipated time commitment from students is approximately 6-8 hours per week on the lab project. In addition, there are regular meetings with the professor/coaches for updates and guidance.Classroom topics on the sector will include impact measurement, funding models, governance, mergers and alliances, among others.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
FROM The Unlikely Capitalist: Is CSR a Distraction?
https://www.bloomberg.com/bw/articles/2012-08-09/corporate-social-responsibility-distinction-or-distraction
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 610 Q47 V28
GMAT 2: 650 Q45 V32
GMAT 3: 710 Q47 V40
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
FROM Naija MBA Gal: Not Panicking
I am not panicking. Nope, Not at all. But I am beginning to wonder what I was thinking when I decided to work full-time and plan my cross-continent relocation at the same time. There is a lot to do and I am honestly very tired – most (if not all) of the time! On the […]
Intern
Intern
Send PM
FROM The Unlikely Capitalist: HBS: Reimagining Capitalism: Business and Big Problems
HBS: Reimagining Capitalism: Business and Big Problems: Growing income inequality, poor or declining educational systems, unequal access to affordable health care and the fear of continuing economic distress are putting stress on political systems worldwide and challenging the credibility of business. At the same time rates of environmental degradation are increasing, sea levels are rising and unchecked emissions of greenhouse gases threaten to destabilize the climate. Robust political responses based on strong social support are crucial to meeting these challenges, but action by the private sector will also be critically important.This course is designed for students who want to explore the idea that at least some of these “big” problems can be effectively addressed by high performing private firms. Historically these kinds of problems have often been considered to be the responsibility of the state. We’ll look at why private firms might be able to play a major role in solving them in today’s world, and we will explore the ways in which accomplishing this may require both changes in how firms and leaders consider their obligations and engage with the issues, as well as changes in the “rules of the game” by which capitalism is structured.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
FROM The Unlikely Capitalist: Can you teach businessmen to be ethical?
Can you teach businessmen to be ethical?: [T]he mind is divided into two parts that sometimes conflict, like a small rider sitting on the back of a very large elephant. The rider is our conscious reasoning. It’s the part of us that learns facts and formulates arguments. The elephant, in contrast, is the other 99 percent of what goes on in our minds. It’s the automatic and unconscious processes like intuition, emotion and habit.In a mature person, the rider and the elephant work together harmoniously, but sometimes—as in the case of many ethical transgressions—our rational sense of right and wrong isn’t enough to steer the unconscious beast. As goes Medea’s lament, from Ovid’s poem Metamorphoses: “I see the right way and approve it, but alas! I follow the wrong.”When the rider and elephant disagree, the elephant is a lot stronger.Ethics classes are aimed at the rider. You can teach a student all you want about utilitarianism, Immanuel Kant or stakeholder theory, but five years later, when her colleagues are competing to sell worthless securities to unsuspecting retirees, her conscious reasoning is unlikely to be strong enough to stop her from running with the herd.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
FROM The Unlikely Capitalist: Rebecca Henderson on the viability of the purpose-driven firm:We...
Rebecca Henderson on the viability of the purpose-driven firm:
We don’t want business people making policy…but on the other hand, what can business people do to bring [their] values to work?.
We have a deeply embedded ideology that price is all that matters, that individuals work only for money,that we can fundamentally measure people just by numbers…[but] how do we develop a…plausible [alternative] model? That actually I can run a firm, and make money, and have fun, and make a difference to the community I’m in–and that that wouldn’t be an exceptional thing…but that we could all do that.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
FROM The Unlikely Capitalist: Can business make a difference in the great problems that we...
Can business make a difference in the great problems that we face?  My own view is nuanced.
I think business potentially has a significant role to play…In the long run, there is no better hope for human progress than business, because business is about innovation at scale.
However, I do not think it will be easy.  [Business people] know that some of the stuff that they’re doing that I would like them to stop is enormously profitable.  And some of the stuff I would like them to start doing is not profitable at all.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [2]
Send PM