Last visit was: 05 Jun 2024, 15:13 It is currently 05 Jun 2024, 15:13
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1374 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Re: Getting into INSEAD at age of 33 [#permalink]
You mean for Insead's class of July2017?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
BrazilianWarrior1983 wrote:
You mean for Insead's class of July2017?

yes, equals auguts/september 2016 intake.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [1]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Strategy, Sustainability
GPA: 3.23
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
BrazilianWarrior1983 wrote:
Dear all, I am currently finishing my preparations to apply for the INSEAD MBA and I would like to check my odds considering my advanced age.

I am turning 33 in February, Brazilian, Senior Manager in Accenture Brazil with considerable international experience. I don't have my GMAT score yet, but I'm considering applying for Round 1. My main motivation is to move from Supply Chain consulting to a strategy consulting firm in Brazil.

I know that INSEAD, IMD, IE and LBS are more tolerable with "old" applicants than US schools.

Considering that I will achieve a reasonable GMAT score, what are my chances to get into INSEAD considering my age?

Many thanks in advance guys.

BrazilianWarrior1983. Your question about your chances is irrelevant. Don't take this the wrong way, hear me out:

I've read many evaluations online and serious candidates stress out about their chances and how they match up with others. Really this evaluation is useless in my opinion, since it does not consider the important factors such as the essays and the candidate's personality. I see it no different than going to a psychic and asking: "how will I do next year".

If I were in your shoes, I would focus on getting a GMAT score within the 80% range of the school and making sure that the information in my essays line up with the school's goals. Besides, you could be competing with more than usual number of Brazilians or applicants in your demographic. So just because you get rejected, does not mean you weren't qualified. Therefore, your question about your chances is irrelevant since the school does not have the inputs from you (yet) and you don't have any sort of output from the school during the process.

Do your best and then apply. Good luck :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [3]
WE:Asset Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Hi BrazilianWarrior1983

Ive Just graduated from INSEAD and I can definitely say that your age should be least of your concerns . With the average age of 29-30 at INSEAD, you are well within the INSEAD age range as anyone else. Ive had many friends in your age range and the firms coming on campus also have roles for someone with a great experience like yours. I would say go ahead and apply :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Send PM
gabbs wrote:
Hi BrazilianWarrior1983

Ive Just graduated from INSEAD and I can definitely say that your age should be least of your concerns . With the average age of 29-30 at INSEAD, you are well within the INSEAD age range as anyone else. Ive had many friends in your age range and the firms coming on campus also have roles for someone with a great experience like yours. I would say go ahead and apply :)

Hi gabbs,

Can you share you experience here? Interested to know how 2015 went for you guys and what was the overall experience? I am also interested to know where you ended up (industry wise) and how did your career goals change during the intensive curriculum.

Besides, why did you choose January intake over the other? And did most of you manage to get internships?

Sorry, lots of questions :roll:

We can always do this over email. But it's good for interested candidates to have this info.

Thank you :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [1]
WE:Asset Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
Hi All

I think INSEAD was the best year of my life yet... It was an enriching experience on all fronts Education, Career and personal fronts. After the INSEAD experience and even during it when I met other top BSchool candidates I could make out the difference in international mindset at INSEAD and glad I chose it.

Career wise it offers you all the best opportunities that you can imagine. More than the Career Services its the very experienced classmates that help you chart your career path. You will inevitably find a classmate who has already done a job which is your current dream job and is now at INSEAD. It's the best platform to network, connect and what I would say make the right choice.

The major reason for choosing the January intake was the internship. You get to try or in case of finance the only way to get a full time role. Internship is a tricky business and its very competitive, also more so because the internship recruitment at other schools is over by the time you start in January. So the places might be limited.

Hope this is helpful

Cheers

farrous13 wrote:
gabbs wrote:
Hi BrazilianWarrior1983

Hi gabbs,

Can you share you experience here? Interested to know how 2015 went for you guys and what was the overall experience? I am also interested to know where you ended up (industry wise) and how did your career goals change during the intensive curriculum.

Besides, why did you choose January intake over the other? And did most of you manage to get internships?

Sorry, lots of questions :roll:

We can always do this over email. But it's good for interested candidates to have this info.

Thank you :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Send PM
gabbs wrote:
Hi All

I think INSEAD was the best year of my life yet... It was an enriching experience on all fronts Education, Career and personal fronts. After the INSEAD experience and even during it when I met other top BSchool candidates I could make out the difference in international mindset at INSEAD and glad I chose it.

Career wise it offers you all the best opportunities that you can imagine. More than the Career Services its the very experienced classmates that help you chart your career path. You will inevitably find a classmate who has already done a job which is your current dream job and is now at INSEAD. It's the best platform to network, connect and what I would say make the right choice.

The major reason for choosing the January intake was the internship. You get to try or in case of finance the only way to get a full time role. Internship is a tricky business and its very competitive, also more so because the internship recruitment at other schools is over by the time you start in January. So the places might be limited.

Hope this is helpful

Cheers

Gabbs, thank you for putting the time to write your brief experience. No doubt INSEAD is a great school and I'm glad that you and the other alumni that I spoke to have learned a lot from the international experience and the condensed timeline.

So did most of your peers end up receiving an internship offer? How was the recruitment process. With the limited time you had, can you enrich us with more info on what were the cons and pros of the recruitment process you experienced? Maybe also you can let us know what some of your peers thought.

Also in what part of the world did you end up and in what industry?

Thank you,
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Expert Reply
Applying for INSEAD at the age of 33 shouldn't be much of a concern. It would help to show your extensive leadership experience and global exposure. This would help convince admissions that you can contribute well to the experiences of your peers.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73494 [0]
Given Kudos: 19066
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Archived INSEAD Discussion
Hi there,
You've stumbled upon an old discussion from our INSEAD Forum that's now outdated and has been archived. No more replies are possible here.
Interested in current discussions? Feel free to dive into our dedicated INSEAD Forum for all fresh things related to the INSEAD MBA program.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6957 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts