Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 06:16 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 06:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 762 [493]
Given Kudos: 176
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64985 [304]
Given Kudos: 428
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 997 [90]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Status:GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator
Own Kudos [?]: 13405 [41]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT: QUANT+DI EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A) ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: In a marketing survey, 60 people were asked to rank three flavors of i [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
johnnguyen2016 wrote:
In a marketing survey, 60 people were asked to rank three flavors of ice cream, chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry, in order of their preference. All 60 people responded, and no two flavors were ranked equally by any of the people surveyed. If \frac{3}{5} of the people ranked vanilla last, 1/10 of them ranked vanilla before chocolate, and 1/3 of them ranked vanilla before strawberry, how many people ranked vanilla first?

A. 2
B. 6
C. 14
D. 16
E. 24

3/5 of 60 = 36 people ranked Vanilla Last

Observation 1: i.e. 2/5 of 60 = 24 people ranked Vanilla at no. 1 or no. 2

Observation 2: and 1/10 of 60 = 6 people ranked Vanilla before Chocolate

Observation 3: and 1/3 of 60 = 20 people ranked Vanilla before Strawberry

Observation 1 is consolidation of Observation 2 and 3

i.e. there are 2 people common between Observation 2 and 3

i.e. 2 people ranked Vanilla before Chocolate and Strawberry both

Hence,
Answer: Option A

Originally posted by GMATinsight on 22 Apr 2016, 04:21.
Last edited by GMATinsight on 21 Sep 2020, 21:04, edited 1 time in total.
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 762 [6]
Given Kudos: 176
Send PM
Re: In a marketing survey, 60 people were asked to rank three flavors of i [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
This question I did correctly, but still feel doubtful.
Experts please help clarify.

60 people vote for 3 favorite among 4 foods: I - C - V - S
The results:
36 people vote x-x-V (vanilla last) => 24 people vote Vanilla not last OR NOT VOTE FOR Vanilla

6 people vote x-V-C or V-x-C or V-C-x

20 people vote x-V-S or V-x-S or V-S-x

The only possibility of overlap between 6 and 20 people above is the case: V - S - C or V - C - S, in both case, V is the first.
=> The overlap = 20 + 6 - 24 = 2

But, how about NOT VOTE FOR Vanilla? What is the role of this information in my reasoning?

Thanks.
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32050 [1]
Given Kudos: 291
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
johnnguyen2016 wrote:
This question I did correctly, but still feel doubtful.
Experts please help clarify.

60 people vote for 3 favorite among 4 foods: I - C - V - S
The results:
36 people vote x-x-V (vanilla last) => 24 people vote Vanilla not last OR NOT VOTE FOR Vanilla

6 people vote x-V-C or V-x-C or V-C-x

20 people vote x-V-S or V-x-S or V-S-x

The only possibility of overlap between 6 and 20 people above is the case: V - S - C or V - C - S, in both case, V is the first.
=> The overlap = 20 + 6 - 24 = 2

But, how about NOT VOTE FOR Vanilla? What is the role of this information in my reasoning?

Thanks.

The Q says that all vote and they were to give their preference 1-2-3 wise, so everyone has voted and given their preference in that order..
basically there is NO oNE who has NOT voted..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [8]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Maybe I can give an alternative but more time consuming/stupid way to solve it -

Total 60 people need to rank c, v, s
3/5 *60= 36 people rank: CSV or SCV
1/10*60 = 6 people rank: VCS or VSC or SVC
1/3*60 = 20 people rank: VCS or VSC or CVS

As we know that there are only 6 combinations for C, V, S rank - CSV, SCV, VCS, VSC, SVC & CVS.
Total people add up to be 60. However, VCS and VSC are overlapped in group 2 and 3

Total people = 60
Group 1+Group 2 + Group 3 = 36+6+20 = 62
The only over lap is 2, which equals to the number for VCS + VSC

It know it's a bit lengthy and that's why I couldn't figure it out in the mock exam (this question took me ~5 minutes before I realised it.

I think the previous solution is easier ==> 60-36 = 24 means people who rank VCS as number 1 or number 2. Then 24 = 6+20 - x ===> x=2. Simple and Easy!

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to come up with this idea when I was doing the mock exam. Good luck guys!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [9]
Schools: Booth '18 (D)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.65
Send PM
Kudos
I know many of you guys have posted solutions here, but here is what was most intuitive to me:

FIRST OFF Understand what you are trying to find - In this case, you are trying to find how many people rank Vanilla first. For someone to rank Vanilla first, they have to rank them before Chocolate or Strawberry. This should be the very first hint that the correct answer cannot be bigger than 1/10 * 60 = 6.

So if you are time pressured on the real test, at least you narrowed down the selections to two choices - not bad. But what now?

Solve the easier problem. From 60 people, we are already told that 3/5 of them rank Vanilla last, leaving us with 2/5 of the people not ranking vanilla last - 24 people. So what are those combinations that vanilla are not last?

A) C, V, S
B) S, V, C
C) C, S, V (vanilla first)
D) S, C, V (vanilla first)

What are we ultimately hunting for here? The number of people that rank vanilla first: C+D
Now let's represent the given info into three equations
1) A+B+C+D = 24 (2/5 of the people do not rank vanilla last)
2) A+C+D = 6 (1/10 rank vanilla before chocolate)
3) B+C+D = 20 (1/3 rank vanilla before strawberry)

Subtract equation 1 from 2, leaving us with
B = 24 - 6 = 18

Sub in B into equation 3 and solve for C+D
18 + C + D = 20
C+D = 20 - 18 = 2

There you go! 2 people out of the 60 ranked Vanilla as first
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [3]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
I think I have a simpler solution, can anyone confirm if it accurate?

1/10 ranked V before C, and 1/3 ranked V before S, and you want the amount that ranked V before C AND S, can't you just multiply the two?

Therefore: 1/10*1/3=1/30
Multiply this with the total group (60) to get the correct answer of 2.

This approach does not use the 3/5 information, so I'm not sure if this is a good approach. Can anyone confirm?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 129
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 560 Q47 V20
GPA: 3.26
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Experts,

It would be great if anyone can verify my approach here.
This question popped as my 7th questions on GMAT Prep QP2 and I got it wrong T___T

Attachment:
IMG_0098.jpg
IMG_0098.jpg [ 440.22 KiB | Viewed 110901 times ]
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [15]
Given Kudos: 197
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Simple Solution:

Total = Vanilla before Chocolate + Vanilla before Strawberry - Vanilla before Both + Vanilla before neither
1 = 1/10 + 1/3 - Vanilla before Both + 3/5
1 - 3/5 = 13/30 - Vanilla before Both
2/3 = 13/30 - Vanilla before Both
Vanilla before Both = 1/30.

1/30 of 60 = 2.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [2]
Send PM
Kudos