Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 02:51 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 02:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 362 [53]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Marketing, Nonprofit
GPA: 3.5
WE:Marketing (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [22]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1831 [2]
Given Kudos: 833
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.35
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Concentration: Human Resources, International Business
GMAT 1: 570 Q44 V25
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: One complaint about recently developed “care” robots – robots designed [#permalink]
tk1tez7777 wrote:
One complaint about recently developed “care” robots – robots designed to help care for elderly or sick patients in their home – is that they do not have the capacity for listening, expressing emotion, and tricking patients to think they can is unethical.

is that they do not have the capacity for listening, expressing emotion, and tricking patients to think they can is unethical
is that they do not have the capacity to listen, to express emotion, and to trick patients to think they can is unethical
is that they do not have the capacity for listening or expressing emotion, and tricking patients to think they can is unethical
is that they do not have the capacity to listen or express emotion, and tricking patients to think they can is unethical
is that they do not have the capacity to listen or express emotion, and tricking patients that they are doing this is unethical

It took me a while to figure this one out. I did it by elimination.

A. Incorrect. I feel "capacity to" is better suited here, gives a meaning that tricking is a part of complaint
B. Incorrect. Conveys that 'Complaint is that robot cannot trick', which is not right.
C. Incorrect. Same reason as A
D. Correct. Seems the most logical choice.
E. Incorrect. Wordy and awkward. 'that they are doing' is unnecessary.

Any feedback is appreciated. Although I got the correct answer still want to make sure I got it through the right logic.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2755 [3]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Re: One complaint about recently developed “care” robots – robots designed [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Well pqhai nails it above. Here is the OE by Veritas prep

OE
Answer choices (A) and (B) contain the easiest errors – both relating to sentence construction. The second part of the clause following the dash is not a series in relation to “listening, expressing emotion” in (A) or “to listen, to express” in (B) The robots lack the capacity to/for these two things and then separately the sentence is saying that “tricking patients to think that they” can do these things is unethical. (C), (D) and (E) properly separate off the second part of the clause with a comma and “and” but only (D) has the proper structure to follow the infinitive “to listen or express”. When auxiliary verbs such as “can” are used to replace full verbs (here “listen or express”), they must be able to be logically followed by the structure that precedes it. In (C) it is incorrect to use “listening or expressing” and then say “tricking patients that they can LISTENING OR EXPRESSING is unethical” In (D), you have the proper “tricking patients that they can LISTEN OR EXPRESS emotion is unethical” For (E), you likewise cannot say that “they are doing LISTEN or EXPRESS emotion” Only (D) matches up the correct structures and is thus the correct answer.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1264 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Strategy
GPA: 3.71
Send PM
Can any instructor/member explain how the meaning is incorrectly conveyed in option A (original sentence). I understand that the complaints w.r.t robots are two
- they do not have the capacity to listen or express emotion
and
- tricking the patients to think that these robots can listen or express is unethical
It'd be great if someone can talk about how this meaning is lost in option A and B.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [3]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Keats wrote:
Can any instructor/member explain how the meaning is incorrectly conveyed in option A (original sentence). I understand that the complaints w.r.t robots are two
and
- tricking the patients to think that these robots can listen or express is unethical
It'd be great if someone can talk about how this meaning is lost in option A and B.

The second point you mentioned, tricking the patients is not a complaint about the robots, but a complaint about the people who promote these robots.

Options A and B imply that the robots do not have the capacity to trick the patients (listen, express and trick are in parallel)... this meaning is not intended.
Moreover in option A, the usage "capacity for..." is wrong.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
sayantanc2k wrote:
Keats wrote:
and

The second point you mentioned, tricking the patients is not a complaint about the robots, but a complaint about the people who promote these robots.

Options A and B imply that the robots do not have the capacity to trick the patients (listen, express and trick are in parallel)... this meaning is not intended.
Moreover in option A, the usage "capacity for..." is wrong.

==========
i like D..but just get stuck with parallel structure..why not "to listen or TO express emotion
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM