Last visit was: 06 May 2024, 20:32 It is currently 06 May 2024, 20:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 6261 [184]
Given Kudos: 330
WE:General Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3529 [34]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 671 [11]
Given Kudos: 31
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V42
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4684 [4]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: Sor Juana Inés de la Cruz was making the case for womens equality [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
Gnpth wrote:
Sor Juana Inés de la Cruz was making the case for women’s equality long before the cause had a name: Born in the mid-seventeenth century in San Miguel Nepantla, Mexico, the convent was the perfect environment for Sor Juana to pursue intellectual pursuits, achieving renown as a mathematician, poet, philosopher, and playwright.

(A) the convent was the perfect environment for Sor Juana to pursue intellectual pursuits, achieving

(B) Sor Juana found that the convent provided the perfect environment for intellectual pursuits, and she went on to achieve

(C) the convent provided the perfect environment for intellectual pursuits for Sor Juana; going on to achieve

(D) Sor Juana found that the convent provided the perfect environment for intellectual pursuits; achieving

(E) the convent was, Sor Juana found, the perfect environment for intellectual pursuits, and she went on to achieve

Meaning is crucial to solving this problem:
Understanding the intended meaning is key to solving this question; the intended meaning of the crucial part of this sentence is that Sor Juana was born in the mid-seventeenth century in San Miguel Nepantla, Mexico, found that the convent provided the perfect environment for intellectual pursuits, and went on to achieve renown as a mathematician, poet, philosopher, and playwright.

Concepts tested here: Meaning + Modifiers + Grammatical Construction

• In a “phrase + comma + noun” construction, the phrase must correctly modify the noun; this is one of the most frequently tested concepts on GMAT sentence correction.
• Semicolons and the “comma + conjunction” construction are used to link two independent clauses; commas are used to link an independent clause with a dependent one; comma cannot be used to join two independent clauses.

A: This answer choice incorrectly uses "Born in the mid-seventeenth century in San Miguel Nepantla, Mexico" to modify "the convent", illogically implying that the convent was born in the mid-seventeenth century in San Miguel Nepantla, Mexico; the intended meaning is that Sor Juana was born in the mid-seventeenth century in San Miguel Nepantla, Mexico; remember, in a “phrase + comma + noun” construction, the phrase must correctly modify the noun.

B: Correct. This answer choice correctly uses "Born in the mid-seventeenth century in San Miguel Nepantla, Mexico" to modify "Sor Juana", conveying the intended meaning - that Sor Juana was born in the mid-seventeenth century in San Miguel Nepantla, Mexico. Further, Option B correctly uses the "comma + conjunction ("and" in this sentence)" construction to join the independent clauses " Sor Juana found that the convent provided the perfect environment for intellectual pursuits" and "she went on to achieve renown as a mathematician, poet, philosopher, and playwright.

C: This answer choice incorrectly uses "Born in the mid-seventeenth century in San Miguel Nepantla, Mexico" to modify "the convent", illogically implying that the convent was born in the mid-seventeenth century in San Miguel Nepantla, Mexico; the intended meaning is that Sor Juana was born in the mid-seventeenth century in San Miguel Nepantla, Mexico; remember, in a “phrase + comma + noun” construction, the phrase must correctly modify the noun. Further, Option C incorrectly uses a semicolon to link the independent clause "the convent provided the perfect environment for intellectual pursuits for Sor Juana" and the dependent clause "going on to achieve renown as a mathematician, poet, philosopher, and playwright"; remember, semicolons and the “comma + conjunction” construction are used to link two independent clauses; commas are used to link an independent clause with a dependent one; comma cannot be used to join two independent clauses.

D: This answer choice incorrectly uses a semicolon to link the independent clause "the convent provided the perfect environment for intellectual pursuits for Sor Juana" and the dependent clause "achieving renown as a mathematician, poet, philosopher, and playwright"; remember, semicolons and the “comma + conjunction” construction are used to link two independent clauses; commas are used to link an independent clause with a dependent one; comma cannot be used to join two independent clauses.

E: This answer choice incorrectly uses "Born in the mid-seventeenth century in San Miguel Nepantla, Mexico" to modify "the convent", illogically implying that the convent was born in the mid-seventeenth century in San Miguel Nepantla, Mexico; the intended meaning is that Sor Juana was born in the mid-seventeenth century in San Miguel Nepantla, Mexico; remember, in a “phrase + comma + noun” construction, the phrase must correctly modify the noun.

Hence, B is the best answer choice.

To understand the concept of "Phrase Comma Subject" and "Subject Comma Phrase" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~1 minute):

To understand the use of punctuation on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~10 minutes):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [4]
Given Kudos: 313
Send PM
Re: Sor Juana Inés de la Cruz was making the case for womens equality [#permalink]
Kudos
Y is option D wrong ...?
Can sum1 explain how achieving is different from aim to achieve in this ques?
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4697 [33]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
shonakshi wrote:
Y is option D wrong ...?
Can sum1 explain how achieving is different from aim to achieve in this ques?

Semi Colon is used to connect Independent Clauses as below -

Independent Clause ; Independent Clause

Consider the part of this sentence does -

Sor Juana Inés de la Cruz was making the case for women’s equality long before the cause had a name : Born in the mid-seventeenth century in San Miguel Nepantla, Mexico, Sor Juana found the convent provided the perfect environment for intellectual pursuits ; achieving renown as a mathematician, poet, philosopher, and playwright.

The red underlined part of the sentence is not an independent clause hence incorrect....

Hope this helps...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 300 [1]
Given Kudos: 353
Concentration: General Management, Economics
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V33
WE:Sales (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Kudos
In B and D don't we need "that" after "found"? Seems to me "found convent provided.." sound unclear.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15283 [5]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Konstantin1983 wrote:
In B and D don't we need "that" after "found"? Seems to me "found convent provided.." sound unclear.

Absolutely. If a clause follows, then "that" is required.

I found the scenery beautiful.... correct.
I found that the scenery is beautiful.... correct.

...modified the question accordingly.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3529 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Konstantin1983 wrote:

Hello Konstantin1983, as you are correct.

However, since there is no choice here that has a that after found, this is clearly not being tested in this question. Another official problem where one would have preferred a that after announced.

Trans world Entertainment Corporation, which owns the record Town and Saturday Matinee retail chains announced it was closing up to one fourth of its stores because of poor sales.

Have noticed some other similar questions as well. So, this is not one of the criterion you should use to eliminate answer choices.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 437 [6]
Given Kudos: 123
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Sor Juana Inés de la Cruz was making the case for women’s equality long before the cause had a name: Born in the mid-seventeenth century in San Miguel Nepantla, Mexico, the convent was the perfect environment for Sor Juana to pursue intellectual pursuits, achieving renown as a mathematician, poet, philosopher, and playwright.

A. the convent was the perfect environment for Sor Juana to pursue intellectual pursuits, achieving
B. Sor Juana found that the convent provided the perfect environment for intellectual pursuits, and she went on to achieve
C. the convent provided the perfect environment for intellectual pursuits for Sor Juana; going on to achieve
D. Sor Juana found that the convent provided the perfect environment for intellectual pursuits; achieving
E. the convent was, Sor Juana found, the perfect environment for intellectual pursuits, and she went on to achieve

The convent was not born in mexico but Sor Juana was born in Mexico,eliminate A,C and E.
the usage of ';' and then the modifier is wrong because semicolon is ending the clause.elimiate D

B is the correct answer.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Hello Everybody,

Regarding to the meaning of the sentences, how should I interpret the usage of the colon in this sentence? What meaning does the colon to the sentence?
Kind regards,
Manuel
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5432 [5]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
ManuelJesus wrote:
Hello Everybody,

Regarding to the meaning of the sentences, how should I interpret the usage of the colon in this sentence? What meaning does the colon to the sentence?
Kind regards,
Manuel

Hi ManuelJesus ,

Colon is used to explain additional information about the first sentence or some list.

For example,

I bought many gifts for my girl friend : a diamond necklace, a dress and a Big Bag full of chocolates.

or

I got what I worked for: I really earned that promotion.

Here are a couple of rules that you may want to see.

Does that make sense?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42107 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Quote:
ManuelJesus wrote:
Hello Everybody,

Kind regards,
Manuel

Which colon is being referred to here? There is only a semicolon in D. The terms of the usage of each of these are vastly different. Hence, they should not be mixed up
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5432 [1]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
daagh wrote:
Which colon is being referred to here? There is only a semicolon in D. The terms of the usage of each of these are vastly different. Hence, they should not be mixed up

Hi daagh Sir,

ManuelJesus meant the colon used between the two sentences below:

Sor Juana Inés de la Cruz was making the case for women’s equality long before the cause had a name : Born in the mid-seventeenth century

I think the person wanted to understand the usage of this colon. :)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42107 [1]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM