It is currently 23 Feb 2018, 03:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Sor Juana Inés de la Cruz was making the case for women’s equality

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Top Contributor
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Re: Sor Juana Inés de la Cruz was making the case for women’s equality [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2017, 09:53
Top Contributor
Oh! the one in the non-underlined part? It is a disaster. because the colon's following clause does not portray how her activities in the seventeenth century predated the 19th and 20th century's feminist's movements. The second part simply talks about the nun's development as a poet, philosopher, playwright, and mathematician

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Mannheim Thread Master
S
GMAT 1: 650 Q40 V39
GPA: 3
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Sor Juana Inés de la Cruz was making the case for women’s equality [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2017, 00:38
'B' is the correct choice - Sor Juana provides the correct logical subject for born and went on to achieve; the second clause is correctly introduced by and, and is constructed as a full clause with a subject and tensed verb.

Hope this helps.

2017-2018 MBA Deadlines

Threadmaster for B-school Discussions
Class of 2019: Mannheim Business School
Class 0f 2020: HHL Leipzig

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2017, 05:15
Gnpth wrote:
Sor Juana Inés de la Cruz was making the case for women’s equality long before the cause had a name: Born in the mid-seventeenth century in San Miguel Nepantla, Mexico, the convent was the perfect environment for Sor Juana to pursue intellectual pursuits, achieving renown as a mathematician, poet, philosopher, and playwright.

A. the convent was the perfect environment for Sor Juana to pursue intellectual pursuits, achieving
B. Sor Juana found that the convent provided the perfect environment for intellectual pursuits, and she went on to achieve
C. the convent provided the perfect environment for intellectual pursuits for Sor Juana; going on to achieve
D. Sor Juana found that the convent provided the perfect environment for intellectual pursuits; achieving
E. the convent was, Sor Juana found, the perfect environment for intellectual pursuits, and she went on to achieve

B. Sor Juana found that the convent provided the perfect environment for intellectual pursuits, and she went on to achieve

in the original copy (Verbal Review 2017) "that" is missing. I got confused as I know the idiom is "find that". I understand that is still the best option here, unlike other cases in which the second best option is just a little more wordy. Could anyone explain if "found convent provided"is ok? For me if there is no "that" in this sentence, provided should be followed by "with" and another noun or the provided should be changed to another one.
Top Contributor
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Sor Juana Inés de la Cruz was making the case for women’s equality [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2017, 05:55
Top Contributor
daffonso wrote

Quote:

in the original copy (Verbal Review 2017) "that" is missing. I got confused as I know the idiom is "find that". I understand that is still the best option here, unlike other cases in which the second best option is just a little more wordy. Could anyone explain if "found convent provided"is ok? For me, if there is no "that" in this sentence, provided should be followed by "with" and another noun or the provided should be changed to another one.

If a noun or pronoun is found after the relative pronoun word 'that', then one can safely omit the relative pronoun (including who, and which)

The plant that I grow has not been watered for a week -- correct
The plant I grow has not been watered for a week -- correct

On the other hand, if a verb follows the relative pronoun 'that', then one cannot drop the 'that'

The plant that hasn't been watered for a week is going to die -- correct
The plant hasn't been watered for a week is going to die -- incorrect due to double verbing

Of course, we know we can omit both the relative pronoun and the verb, if a participle, either a present participle (verb+ing) or a past participle (verb+ed or verb+en or some other irregular past participle) is used.

E.g: The plant that is not watered for a week is going to die. -- correct
The plant not watered for a week is going to die. -- correct

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Sor Juana Inés de la Cruz was making the case for women’s equality   [#permalink] 27 Aug 2017, 05:55

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 24 posts ] 

Sor Juana Inés de la Cruz was making the case for women’s equality

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap