It is currently 18 Oct 2017, 02:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Sor Juana Inés de la Cruz was making the case for women’s equality

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
G

Kudos [?]: 1449 [1], given: 270

GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V34
WE: General Management (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Sor Juana Inés de la Cruz was making the case for women’s equality [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2016, 05:01
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

69% (00:57) correct 31% (01:13) wrong based on 1014 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Sor Juana Inés de la Cruz was making the case for women’s equality long before the cause had a name: Born in the mid-seventeenth century in San Miguel Nepantla, Mexico, the convent was the perfect environment for Sor Juana to pursue intellectual pursuits, achieving renown as a mathematician, poet, philosopher, and playwright.

A. the convent was the perfect environment for Sor Juana to pursue intellectual pursuits, achieving
B. Sor Juana found that the convent provided the perfect environment for intellectual pursuits, and she went on to achieve
C. the convent provided the perfect environment for intellectual pursuits for Sor Juana; going on to achieve
D. Sor Juana found that the convent provided the perfect environment for intellectual pursuits; achieving
E. the convent was, Sor Juana found, the perfect environment for intellectual pursuits, and she went on to achieve
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Become a GMAT Club Premium member to avail lot of discounts

Kudos [?]: 1449 [1], given: 270

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 100 [1], given: 10

Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Re: Sor Juana Inés de la Cruz was making the case for women’s equality [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2016, 05:24
This post received
KUDOS
Gnpth wrote:
Sor Juana Inés de la Cruz was making the case for women’s equality long before the cause had a name: Born in the mid-seventeenth century in San Miguel Nepantla, Mexico, the convent was the perfect environment for Sor Juana to pursue intellectual pursuits, achieving renown as a mathematician, poet, philosopher, and playwright.

A. the convent was the perfect environment for Sor Juana to pursue intellectual pursuits, achieving
B. Sor Juana found the convent provided the perfect environment for intellectual pursuits, and she went on to achieve
C. the convent provided the perfect environment for intellectual pursuits for Sor Juana; going on to achieve
D. Sor Juana found the convent provided the perfect environment for intellectual pursuits; achieving
E. the convent was, Sor Juana found, the perfect environment for intellectual pursuits, and she went on to achieve

can be narrowed down to B and D as the others have modifier error.
B has the required verb.

Kudos [?]: 100 [1], given: 10

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [2], given: 202

Re: Sor Juana Inés de la Cruz was making the case for women’s equality [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2016, 10:40
This post received
KUDOS
Y is option D wrong ...?
Can sum1 explain how achieving is different from aim to achieve in this ques?

Kudos [?]: 10 [2], given: 202

4 KUDOS received
Math Forum Moderator
G

Kudos [?]: 1087 [4], given: 325

GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2016, 11:08
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
shonakshi wrote:
Y is option D wrong ...?
Can sum1 explain how achieving is different from aim to achieve in this ques?

Semi Colon is used to connect Independent Clauses as below -

Independent Clause ; Independent Clause

Consider the part of this sentence does -

Sor Juana Inés de la Cruz was making the case for women’s equality long before the cause had a name : Born in the mid-seventeenth century in San Miguel Nepantla, Mexico, Sor Juana found the convent provided the perfect environment for intellectual pursuits ; achieving renown as a mathematician, poet, philosopher, and playwright.

The red underlined part of the sentence is not an independent clause hence incorrect....

Hope this helps...

Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )

Kudos [?]: 1087 [4], given: 325

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [1], given: 202

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2016, 11:13
This post received
KUDOS
Abhishek Thanks for the explanation :)

Kudos [?]: 10 [1], given: 202

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 120 [0], given: 424

Concentration: Finance, Technology

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2016, 21:48
Answer choice A, C and E can be eliminated as the covent is the wrong modifier. It should be the person who is born in the mid-seventeenth century. Leaving choices B and D.
D leaves a sentence fragment at the last sentence after the semicolon.

Therefore the answer choice is B.

Kudos [?]: 120 [0], given: 424

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
S

Kudos [?]: 312 [1], given: 11

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2016, 22:46
This post received
KUDOS
Abhishek009 wrote:
Semi Colon is used to connect Independent Clauses as below -

Independent Clause ; Independent Clause

Absolutely.

In addition, semicolon can be used to connect parts of a parallel list, where the use of comma would create a less clearer structure. For example:

Mary wanted a Mercedes car for driving; a mansion, surrounded by a pristine blue lagoon, for housing; and inordinate money in the bank.

However, the sentence under consideration does not have any such parallel list and hence, does not justify the use of semicolon.

Thanks,
Ashish (GMAT Faculty @ EducationAisle)
http://www.EducationAisle.com

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Kudos [?]: 312 [1], given: 11

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 90 [0], given: 349

Concentration: General Management, Economics
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V33
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2016, 13:29
In B and D don't we need "that" after "found"? Seems to me "found convent provided.." sound unclear.

"Are you gangsters?" - "No we are Russians!"

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3282 [0], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2016, 15:17
Konstantin1983 wrote:
In B and D don't we need "that" after "found"? Seems to me "found convent provided.." sound unclear.

Absolutely. If a clause follows, then "that" is required.

I found the scenery beautiful.... correct.
I found that the scenery is beautiful.... correct.

...modified the question accordingly.

Kudos [?]: 3282 [0], given: 22

Director
Director
S

Kudos [?]: 312 [0], given: 11

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2016, 23:57
Konstantin1983 wrote:

Hello Konstantin1983, as you are correct.

However, since there is no choice here that has a that after found, this is clearly not being tested in this question. Another official problem where one would have preferred a that after announced.

Trans world Entertainment Corporation, which owns the record Town and Saturday Matinee retail chains announced it was closing up to one fourth of its stores because of poor sales.

Have noticed some other similar questions as well. So, this is not one of the criterion you should use to eliminate answer choices.

Thanks,
Ashish (GMAT Faculty @ EducationAisle)
http://www.EducationAisle.com

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Kudos [?]: 312 [0], given: 11

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Concentration: General Management, Economics
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V33
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2016, 12:10
EducationAisle wrote:
Konstantin1983 wrote:

Hello Konstantin1983, as you are correct.

However, since there is no choice here that has a that after found, this is clearly not being tested in this question. Another official problem where one would have preferred a that after announced.

Trans world Entertainment Corporation, which owns the record Town and Saturday Matinee retail chains announced it was closing up to one fourth of its stores because of poor sales.

Have noticed some other similar questions as well. So, this is not one of the criterion you should use to eliminate answer choices.

Hello Ashish!

Thanks for your comments. But i think that your example is better than forementioned question. For me "announced it was closing up" sounds better than "found convent provided". Don't you think? But i agree that use of "that" is not tested here)

"Are you gangsters?" - "No we are Russians!"

Top Contributor
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 404 [0], given: 45

WE: Corporate Finance (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2016, 17:18
Top Contributor
"That" is often left out when the verb is about communicating (says, announces, tells). Also note that "found" is also a transitive verb and so a direct object is required; whether it be a noun or a clause, it cannot exist without one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kudos [?]: 404 [0], given: 45

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 17

GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V31
GMAT 2: 770 Q51 V42
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2016, 15:45
sayantanc2k wrote:
Konstantin1983 wrote:

Absolutely. If a clause follows, then "that" is required.

I found the scenery beautiful.... correct.
I found that the scenery is beautiful.... correct.

...modified the question accordingly.

Hi sayantanc2k please change the Option B back, if possible.
This is OG question and "that" is not there in the correct choice in OG. So I guess a new learning for us when we can drop "that".

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 17

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 4

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2017, 12:54
left with B and D. Opted for B, because D had modifier and lacked Verb

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 4

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 18

WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2017, 14:19

B. Sor Juana found that the convent provided the perfect environment for intellectual pursuits, and she went on to achieve
D. Sor Juana found that the convent provided the perfect environment for intellectual pursuits; achieving

The convent was not born in mexico but Sor Juana was born in Mexico,eliminate A,C and E.
the usage of ';' and then the modifier is wrong because semicolon is ending the clause.elimiate D

B is the correct answer.

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 18

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 31

GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V42
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2017, 08:41

Issues: Modifier | Diction

Analysis:

1. The first thing to notice is the noun that follows comma after noun modifier clause: "Born in the mid-seventeenth....". That noun should be a person i.e. Sor Juana and not the convent. Hence, (A), (C) and (E) is out
2. Considering (B) and (D), (D) has a fragment because ";" should be followed by an independent clause and not a dependent clause.

Answer: B.

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 31

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 11

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2017, 08:16
Hello Everybody,

Regarding to the meaning of the sentences, how should I interpret the usage of the colon in this sentence? What meaning does the colon to the sentence?
Kind regards,
Manuel

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 11

1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
D

Kudos [?]: 787 [1], given: 64

Concentration: Healthcare, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2017, 08:34
This post received
KUDOS
ManuelJesus wrote:
Hello Everybody,

Regarding to the meaning of the sentences, how should I interpret the usage of the colon in this sentence? What meaning does the colon to the sentence?
Kind regards,
Manuel

Hi ManuelJesus ,

Colon is used to explain additional information about the first sentence or some list.

For example,

I bought many gifts for my girl friend : a diamond necklace, a dress and a Big Bag full of chocolates.

or

I got what I worked for: I really earned that promotion.

Here are a couple of rules that you may want to see.

Does that make sense?

V21 ---> V40!

Kudos [?]: 787 [1], given: 64

Top Contributor
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 7875 [0], given: 363

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2017, 10:14
Top Contributor
Quote:
ManuelJesus wrote:
Hello Everybody,

Kind regards,
Manuel

Which colon is being referred to here? There is only a semicolon in D. The terms of the usage of each of these are vastly different. Hence, they should not be mixed up

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

Kudos [?]: 7875 [0], given: 363

BSchool Forum Moderator
D

Kudos [?]: 787 [0], given: 64

Concentration: Healthcare, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2017, 10:24
daagh wrote:
Which colon is being referred to here? There is only a semicolon in D. The terms of the usage of each of these are vastly different. Hence, they should not be mixed up

Hi daagh Sir,

ManuelJesus meant the colon used between the two sentences below:

Sor Juana Inés de la Cruz was making the case for women’s equality long before the cause had a name : Born in the mid-seventeenth century

I think the person wanted to understand the usage of this colon. :)

V21 ---> V40!

Kudos [?]: 787 [0], given: 64

Re: Sor Juana Inés de la Cruz was making the case for women’s equality   [#permalink] 31 Jul 2017, 10:24

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 24 posts ] 

Sor Juana Inés de la Cruz was making the case for women’s equality

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap