Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 12:23 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 12:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 71
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: IE (A)
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 31
Re: Calling all INSEAD MBA Applicants: (January 2017 Intake) Class of 2017 [#permalink]
Kudos
prabhakar09 wrote:
LL01 wrote:
prabhakar09 wrote:
Hello.

I have interview coming up next week. Some tips in this regard would be wonderful.

Posted from my mobile device

From my personal experience, I'd say that you should prepare brief bullet-points for all the standard questions that your interviewers are likely to ask (why MBA, why INSEAD, tell me about your international experiences, walk me through your CV, etc) but definitely DO NOT script your responses. You'll sound unnatural and your answers will sound rehearsed, on the day, if you do this. Just know your story well and practice interviewing, with a friend. You don't need to tick every box and give every detail but you DO need to be natural.

My interviewer said that the best candidates are reasonably relaxed and the interview should play out like a conversation between friends. Keep it professional but friendly. Warm and not overly formal nor overly familiar. I think it's as though you're speaking with a recruitment company - you don't need to impress as much as you would in a direct interview with an employer, you're more relaxed and you're explaining your work experiences, history and objectives, to give the recruiter a better sense of who you are and where you're hoping to go.

Again, from my own experience, your interviewers aren't likely to ask questions in a typical, set order (ie. questions that address your history in chronological order - why this degree, why this first job, why move to the next job, etc). They may also ask probing questions that go all the way back to before university. So make sure that you know why you decided on this career, all those years ago and why you made all the choices that led you here today. Really think, in depth, about your feelings and rationale for each and every career/educational decision and make sure that they all make sense and paint a coherent picture of your career route. I didn't prepare for these probing questions but I knew exactly why I made the decisions that I made, because these were things that I thought about, before I decided to pursue an MBA. Luckily, this meant that when the interviewer asked me about these areas, it was very conversational and not at all stilted (unlike the "walk me through your CV" portion,where I simply rehashed stuff from memory - not a smart move!). It's OK to ask for a moment, to think about your answer, before responding. Better to give a considered response than to fill all silences hurriedly.

I hope that helps. Good luck!

Great Tips mate.
Thanks.

You're most welcome. BTW, I'm sure you already know this but for the purposes of completeness, INSEAD places a lot of emphasis on its people and "fit". From my research, I gathered that the reason why you should try to be yourself as much as possible, is because the interviewers are trying to determine (aside from making sure you've got the international profile for which INSEAD is famous and that your story makes sense) if they'd like you as a potential fellow alumnus and if you'd be the kind of classmate they'd like to work with, in a hypothetical situation. All the best!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Re: Calling all INSEAD MBA Applicants: (January 2017 Intake) Class of 2017 [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi,

It depends on your background. If you're coming from quant/finance backgrouns - sit back and relax until Jan. If you are more of a poet (like myself) - I d recommend some readings in advance.

Regarding recruitment: again, depending on your background and intended industry, you may want to do some research and networking in advance - you won't have much time once you start. And for 'D class - recruitment starts straight away, hence, being prepared for recruitment helps a lot!

Also, get your exit language out of the way before starting the program.

PM me if you have more questions, will try to answer them

VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
FROM Insead Admissions Blog1: An “Average” INSEAD Break
Considered the most intense of the five periods, my classmates and I in Fontainebleau found P2 especially challenging given the weather conditions in France. It was already almost May and we had barely seen the sun! So, to escape the... Continue Reading →
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Just had my first interview. It was more like a conversational interview. And went on for about 70 minutes.

Discussion about the application, resume and essays.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V39
Send PM
Had my first interview today at my interviewer's office. All discussions revolved around the evaluation form to be filled by the interviewer and the tone was as of a general conversation between colleagues. I didn't get a chance to highlight my extracurricular activities which I believe were a strong part of my application. My interview lasted only half an hour so don't know what to make out of it but keeping my hopes alive.

Good luck to all for upcoming interviews.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Send PM
FROM Insead Admissions Blog1: Sponsored student? INSEAD is almost a no-brainer!
INSEAD attracts many types of students. Amongst them, a good number of admitted students (about 10-15%) are ‘sponsored’ students. These are students whose MBA is funded by their employers with the understanding that they would return back to the sponsoring... Continue Reading →
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Manager
Manager
Send PM
nigushto wrote:
Had my first interview today at my interviewer's office. All discussions revolved around the evaluation form to be filled by the interviewer and the tone was as of a general conversation between colleagues. I didn't get a chance to highlight my extracurricular activities which I believe were a strong part of my application. My interview lasted only half an hour so don't know what to make out of it but keeping my hopes alive.

All the best for the next one Nigushto,

Mine a twice as longer. So now I am also confused on what to make out of mine.

I hope it's just interviewer to interviewer variation.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V39
Send PM
prabhakar09 wrote:
nigushto wrote:

Thanks mate! 70 mins is good so I don't think you need to worry about it.

When is your next one? Mine was earlier scheduled for today and just when I was thinking I could finally have a free weekend, it got postponed to Monday.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Tuesday. So we are basically on the same boat

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.87
WE:Securities Sales and Trading (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Good luck with your interviews, prabhakar09 and nigushto.

Don't worry too much about the duration of the interviews. My first one lasted 20 mins and the second one was a good 90 mins long. Also, honestly it is almost impossible to figure out what the interviewer is sometimes thinking. Some of them will tell you right away that they like you and would definitely recommend you, and then there will be the others with perfect poker faces. Just be yourself and show the passion you have for INSEAD, MBA and all the things that you plan to do post-MBA.

And one quick tip - prepare multiple examples for competency questions. My second interviewer (I am sure he was playing the bad cop) wanted 1 additional example (in addition to the 3 he originally had asked for) for almost every competency question he asked me.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
iccotdis wrote:
Good luck with your interviews, prabhakar09 and nigushto.

Don't worry too much about the duration of the interviews. My first one lasted 20 mins and the second one was a good 90 mins long. Also, honestly it is almost impossible to figure out what the interviewer is sometimes thinking. Some of them will tell you right away that they like you and would definitely recommend you, and then there will be the others with perfect poker faces. Just be yourself and show the passion you have for INSEAD, MBA and all the things that you plan to do post-MBA.

And one quick tip - prepare multiple examples for competency questions. My second interviewer (I am sure he was playing the bad cop) wanted 1 additional example (in addition to the 3 he originally had asked for) for almost every competency question he asked me.

Thanks icco, will keep that in mind
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
-

Originally posted by Hello_ on 31 Jul 2016, 03:01.
Last edited by Hello_ on 29 Sep 2016, 11:32, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
Send PM
Hello_ wrote:
Just applied on the last day for round 4.

Only got 680 on GMAT 2 days prior the deadline (I changed my mind about the intake year 3 weeks ago due to various reasons), so I only spent 5 days working the GMAT.
But got some very strong Recommendation letters + good background. Finger crossed and I hope to meet some of you in 5 months !

Hello Hello_! (I have to admit that the main reason I am replying is to type this sentence LOL) 680 is an amazing score with only 5 days' preparation. Good luck with your application!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Send PM
FROM Insead Admissions Blog1: Internships & Summer Holidays at INSEAD
When describing the curriculum of my MBA program to my friends and family, many were surprised to learn that the program itself is actually ten months, with a two-month summer break for the classes with January starts (July graduates do not have an... Continue Reading →
Manager
Manager
Send PM
newsInsead wrote:
FROM Insead Admissions Blog1: Internships & Summer Holidays at INSEAD
When describing the curriculum of my MBA program to my friends and family, many were surprised to learn that the program itself is actually ten months, with a two-month summer break for the classes with January starts (July graduates do not have an... Continue Reading →

Thanks for the article. looks interesting.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
nigushto wrote:
prabhakar09 wrote:
nigushto wrote:

Thanks mate! 70 mins is good so I don't think you need to worry about it.

When is your next one? Mine was earlier scheduled for today and just when I was thinking I could finally have a free weekend, it got postponed to Monday.

All the best for the interview today. ... Good luck
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hello_ wrote:
Just applied on the last day for round 4.

Only got 680 on GMAT 2 days prior the deadline (I changed my mind about the intake year 3 weeks ago due to various reasons), so I only spent 5 days working the GMAT.
But got some very strong Recommendation letters + good background. Finger crossed and I hope to meet some of you in 5 months !

680: it's 84-85 percentile. what was the breakup? normally they don't care much about the total score rather the quant and verbal percentile. if they are both 70+ shoot the application.

Recommendations: I doubt anyone goes it with a bad recommendation. but this is till good.

your main tool at this point of time would be your essays. Make them a super-strong one; a sparkling one. Highlight your background, unique experiences, extraordinary achievements. Some social activities.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  35   36   37   38   39   40   41  ...  49   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts