Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 20:33 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 20:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619746 [8]
Given Kudos: 81613
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15269 [5]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
General Discussion
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619746 [1]
Given Kudos: 81613
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [1]
Given Kudos: 142
WE:Securities Sales and Trading (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Re: V01-19 [#permalink]
Kudos
I chose D because I thought that since it is a comparison (in places vs in Florida) and 'Even in' is not underlined in the sentence, choice D would be parallel since both compared elements have the preposition 'in'.

Is the preposition 'in' implied in choice C, or does it behave like a sentence filler and hence it is unnecessary for both elements to be parallel?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V35
GPA: 3.69
Send PM
whitehalo wrote:
I chose D because I thought that since it is a comparison (in places vs in Florida) and 'Even in' is not underlined in the sentence, choice D would be parallel since both compared elements have the preposition 'in'.

Is the preposition 'in' implied in choice C, or does it behave like a sentence filler and hence it is unnecessary for both elements to be parallel?

I too thought on similar lines that we need in for parallelism. Bunuel please clarify.
Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
whitehalo wrote:

Option d is wrong because places (i.e. Plural) can't be put in parallel with Florida(i.e. Singular).C is perfect.It simply states >>>
Even in a place as warm as Florida,Snowfall is sometimes possible.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 105 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GPA: 2.71
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
I agree with the explanation the the answer choice should be most concise.

But along with that it should not compromise author's intended meaning.

In the original sentence author's says "IN PLACEs" which refers to multiple places so this meaning should be retained in the correct answer choice ???
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
I think this is a poor-quality question and the explanation isn't clear enough, please elaborate.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [2]
Given Kudos: 12
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Kudos
I think this is a high-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation. Being concise is great, but not at the expense of clarity. In this case, the fact that it is the AVERAGE temperature is meaningful. Did you know that the record high temperature in Alaska is higher than the record for Miami? For this reason, being concise and calling Florida merely "warm" is hardly as accurate as saying Florida has an average temperature that is warm, because the vacillation of the temperature over time clearly has a fundamental impact on the possibility of snowfall.

In other words, does the sentence make as much sense when we choose a place that is objectively "warmer" than Florida? "Even in places as warm as Alaska, snowfall is sometimes possible". That hardly bears the same meaning as the Florida example.

Unless I'm missing something?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 434
Send PM
Is "places" wrong in the incorrect choices here? Or is it a red-herring split?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 164
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

Even in places in which the average temperature is as warm as Florida, snowfall is sometimes possible.

A. places in which the average temperature is as warm as
B. a place with an average temperature as warm as
C. a place as warm as
D. places as warm as it is in
E. a place that is as warm a

This sentence is testing mainly concision, but the wordiness in the original sentence also causes a misplaced modifier, making it sound as if temperature is intended as a direct comparison to Florida. The correct answer will be the most concise version of the underlined portion that keeps the sense of the sentence and eliminates ambiguity.
  1. Choice A : This phrase is unnecessarily wordy, and temperature is incorrectly paralleled to Florida.
  2. Choice B Temperature is incorrectly parallel to Florida, and the phrase is wordy.
  3. Choice C : This option both provides a more concise rewording of the original underlined portion and eliminates ambiguity, making warm an appropriate modifier for Florida.
  4. Choice D : Ambiguity has been eliminated, but the phrase as warm as it is in is unnecessarily wordy.
  5. Choice E : The words that is are redundant and unnecessary.

Answer: C

Dear GMATNinja, Dear Bunuel,
This question and it's explanation does not seem very good to me, as the "correct" answer seems to change the meaning of the original sentence. It is true that answer choice C is more concise but concision is usually the last thing on GMAT that is tested (if there is a meaning difference or any other reason to prefer another option, then concision is irrelevant).

A, the original answer choice, seems to try to compare places with an average temperature similar to the average temperature of Florida and explains that even in these places it is possible to have snow fall. (Obviously, from a grammatical perspective, the comparison is wrong because it compares average temperatures directly to Florida and not to Florida's average temperature, BUT understanding the intention of the original sentence is important on the GMAT!)
This would make an interesting statement as it shows that the average temperature of a place may be high BUT still occasionally have temperatues below freezing in the winter. (It also illustrates that the temperature spectrums may be wider in some locations, so far that even though there average temperatues may be high, the spectrum of possible temperatues goes into the negative spectrum)

C however is not very clear at all and does not convey the intention of the original sentence. "Even in places as warm as Florida, snowfall is sometimes possible." Well this just states as warm as Florida. Is this supposed to mean the average temperature of Florida? We don't know. Is it supposed to mean the current temperature of Florida? We don't know. For example if the current temperature is meant then we could be comparing Florida's temperature in the winter with the temperatures of places in the Southern Hemisphere in the summer which may be comparable on some given days. But in the winter of the southern Hemisphere it could snow in these places. This is of course obvious, but this could be one of the meaning of option C. Of course the comparison could still be between average temperatues, however since average temperatues are not mentioned this is a lot to assume. Therefore since C is not clear in it's meaning it seems ambiguous.

I realize that the other questions may not be as concise and are flawed in other ways as well, BUT on the GMAT the correct answer is supposed to convey the originally intended meaning of the sentence and answer choice C fails to do so. Comparing average temperatures is not the same as simply comparing temperatues in general.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63696 [0]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
GMATE1 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

Even in places in which the average temperature is as warm as Florida, snowfall is sometimes possible.

A. places in which the average temperature is as warm as
B. a place with an average temperature as warm as
C. a place as warm as
D. places as warm as it is in
E. a place that is as warm a

This sentence is testing mainly concision, but the wordiness in the original sentence also causes a misplaced modifier, making it sound as if temperature is intended as a direct comparison to Florida. The correct answer will be the most concise version of the underlined portion that keeps the sense of the sentence and eliminates ambiguity.
  1. Choice A : This phrase is unnecessarily wordy, and temperature is incorrectly paralleled to Florida.
  2. Choice B Temperature is incorrectly parallel to Florida, and the phrase is wordy.
  3. Choice C : This option both provides a more concise rewording of the original underlined portion and eliminates ambiguity, making warm an appropriate modifier for Florida.
  4. Choice D : Ambiguity has been eliminated, but the phrase as warm as it is in is unnecessarily wordy.
  5. Choice E : The words that is are redundant and unnecessary.

Answer: C

Dear GMATNinja, Dear Bunuel,
This question and it's explanation does not seem very good to me, as the "correct" answer seems to change the meaning of the original sentence. It is true that answer choice C is more concise but concision is usually the last thing on GMAT that is tested (if there is a meaning difference or any other reason to prefer another option, then concision is irrelevant).

A, the original answer choice, seems to try to compare places with an average temperature similar to the average temperature of Florida and explains that even in these places it is possible to have snow fall. (Obviously, from a grammatical perspective, the comparison is wrong because it compares average temperatures directly to Florida and not to Florida's average temperature, BUT understanding the intention of the original sentence is important on the GMAT!)
This would make an interesting statement as it shows that the average temperature of a place may be high BUT still occasionally have temperatues below freezing in the winter. (It also illustrates that the temperature spectrums may be wider in some locations, so far that even though there average temperatues may be high, the spectrum of possible temperatues goes into the negative spectrum)

C however is not very clear at all and does not convey the intention of the original sentence. "Even in places as warm as Florida, snowfall is sometimes possible." Well this just states as warm as Florida. Is this supposed to mean the average temperature of Florida? We don't know. Is it supposed to mean the current temperature of Florida? We don't know. For example if the current temperature is meant then we could be comparing Florida's temperature in the winter with the temperatures of places in the Southern Hemisphere in the summer which may be comparable on some given days. But in the winter of the southern Hemisphere it could snow in these places. This is of course obvious, but this could be one of the meaning of option C. Of course the comparison could still be between average temperatues, however since average temperatues are not mentioned this is a lot to assume. Therefore since C is not clear in it's meaning it seems ambiguous.

I realize that the other questions may not be as concise and are flawed in other ways as well, BUT on the GMAT the correct answer is supposed to convey the originally intended meaning of the sentence and answer choice C fails to do so. Comparing average temperatures is not the same as simply comparing temperatues in general.

"On the GMAT the correct answer is supposed to convey the originally intended meaning of the sentence."

This is simply not the case. As explained in the second part of this post (starting with "Regarding your second question..."), there is nothing special about choice (A), and (A) absolutely does NOT give us the "correct" meaning that we must then abide by.

Hopefully that makes things a bit easier for you! :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
Send PM
Another reason I eliminated A is that which has been used to modify "place' which is wrong. Is it correct?
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92977 posts