Last visit was: 05 Jun 2024, 12:50 It is currently 05 Jun 2024, 12:50
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 617 [1]
Given Kudos: 1063
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 33228 [1]
Given Kudos: 4499
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Send PM
Re: TOEFL or IELTS [#permalink]
carcass wrote:
Either tests are tough. In particular, the latter in the listening part is really demanding because the pronunciation is British (it is required mainly in Canada and Australia) so a bit unusual for the hearing, at least for me, I am used to US accent.

Ah yes, good point. I'm more comfortable with the American accent.

Thanks, carcass.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 1182 [0]
Given Kudos: 236
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM
don't get me wrong..but getting 110 on TOEFL is not an easy task...I got 110, but I have lived in the US for 2.5 years...can't say it's impossible, but sure you have to learn how to answer each type of questions so that you maximize your chance of getting the desired score.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 174 [2]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: NUS '19 (M$)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.75
WE:Information Technology (Telecommunications)
Send PM
TOEFL or IELTS [#permalink]
Kudos
Vaidya wrote:
Hi guys,

I will be applying to HEC Paris and Oxford. I have the option of taking either of these language tests. My application deadline is 24th February, hence I'd like to get done with this part of the application at the earliest.
While HEC doesn't specify a minimum score, Oxford does.
IELTS: Overall minimum of 7.5 (Sectional minimum of 7.0)
TOEFL: Overall minimum of 110 (Listening -22, Writing - 24, Reading - 24, Speaking - 25)

After reading this post https://gmatclub.com/forum/toefl-or-ielts-100782.html, I think I'll be equally comfortable with both testing formats.
However, the post does not talk about the preparation involved.

1) Can either of these be taken without preparation? If not, which would require less prep?
2) Given Oxford's requirements, which seems more achievable?

Thanks
Vaidya

Hi Vaidya,

Just making sure that you have noticed this (I guess you must have but still confirming):
HEC does not require the applicant to give either TOEFL or IELTS if the Non-native English speaker holds a university degree from a university where English is the teaching language.

The same goes for Said Business School, its website states:
Waivers for the English language test:
->Evidence of the above must be provided by uploading to the application form transcripts from your institution, which clearly indicates that the medium of instruction throughout your course was English.

BR,
Rahul
Intern
Intern
Send PM
mvictor wrote:
don't get me wrong..but getting 110 on TOEFL is not an easy task...I got 110, but I have lived in the US for 2.5 years...can't say it's impossible, but sure you have to learn how to answer each type of questions so that you maximize your chance of getting the desired score.

I don't suppose it is. I'll be taking a practice test soon. Let's see how that goes.
Thanks.

rahulprasad11 wrote:
Hi Vaidya,

Just making sure that you have noticed this (I guess you must have but still confirming):
HEC does not require the applicant to give either TOEFL or IELTS if the Non-native English speaker holds a university degree from a university where English is the teaching language.

The same goes for Said Business School, its website states:
Waivers for the English language test:
->Evidence of the above must be provided by uploading to the application form transcripts from your institution, which clearly indicates that the medium of instruction throughout your course was English.

BR,
Rahul

Hi Rahul,

Thanks for sharing that, but the problem is that my degree does not specifically mention that the course was conducted in English. Additionally, it contains text in Both English and the local language, which might be a problem.

HEC's FAQ section says this: "Students who have earned a degree from an institution in which ALL instruction is conducted in English. The official language of the degree program has to be stated in the degree certificate or its supplement, or in the transcript of records."

My interpretation of that is that the institution must conduct instruction ONLY in English (Irrespective of who takes what course). Going by that, I would not be eligible for the waiver. Further, neither the degree nor the transcript species that the medium of instruction is English.

Just trying to be on the safe side. I have written to HEC asking whether it would be sufficient for me to obtain a letter from the institution stating that the medium of instruction was English. Yet to hear from them.

EDIT: I just received a response from HEC. A letter from my institution would be sufficient :)
Now I need to check with Oxford.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 174 [0]
Send PM
Vaidya wrote:

Hi Rahul,

Thanks for sharing that, but the problem is that my degree does not specifically mention that the course was conducted in English. Additionally, it contains text in Both English and the local language, which might be a problem.

HEC's FAQ section says this: "Students who have earned a degree from an institution in which ALL instruction is conducted in English. The official language of the degree program has to be stated in the degree certificate or its supplement, or in the transcript of records."

My interpretation of that is that the institution must conduct instruction ONLY in English (Irrespective of who takes what course). Going by that, I would not be eligible for the waiver. Further, neither the degree nor the transcript species that the medium of instruction is English.

Just trying to be on the safe side. I have written to HEC asking whether it would be sufficient for me to obtain a letter from the institution stating that the medium of instruction was English. Yet to hear from them.

Hi Vaidya,

Yes, I knew you must have confirmed. Anyhow, the best course of action is to contact the institution, and you have done that already. I did engineering from Pune University, and luckily the transcript (not the degree certificate) states English as the medium of instruction as shown below:

Attachment:
English.png
English.png [ 176.05 KiB | Viewed 4258 times ]

Best of luck for your exam, whichever you choose to take.

BR,
Rahul
Intern
Intern
Send PM
rahulprasad11 wrote:
Vaidya wrote:

Hi Rahul,

Hi Vaidya,

Yes, I knew you must have confirmed. Anyhow, the best course of action is to contact the institution, and you have done that already. I did engineering from Pune University, and luckily the transcript (not the degree certificate) states English as the medium of instruction as shown below:

Attachment:
English.png

Best of luck for your exam, whichever you choose to take.

BR,
Rahul

Oh, that's great. Saves you a lot of trouble.

By the way, HEC just responded! The letter would do. Thank god.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 174 [0]
Send PM
Vaidya wrote:

Oh, that's great. Saves you a lot of trouble.

By the way, HEC just responded! The letter would do. Thank God.

Good, hope you get a similar response from SBS. Best wishes!!
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 33228 [0]
Given Kudos: 4499
Send PM
Top Contributor
The real issue with these tests, TOEFL or IELTS or GMAT or LSAT or what test you like, is the time constraints which you do have. In other words, you must show your skills in terms of english language in a really short time frame. In a sort of way, it is ridiculous that you need to explain which is your favorite restaurant and why.

The relationship between the time you live in an English country and the ability to pass the exam, getting a good score, does not exist. Many people with huge language skill could fail or gat a poor score during the TOEFL, nonetheless the know the language and speak English and write it very well.

Hope this helps
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Board of Directors
4498 posts