Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 15:43 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 15:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32883 [208]
Given Kudos: 4455
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32883 [3]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 596 [0]
Given Kudos: 82
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32883 [0]
Send PM
Re: Best resources to tackle each section of the TOEFL iBT [#permalink]
sanjoo wrote:
Carcass ... My RC is going realy bad .. except above links..is there any other site where i can get good rc online?

I think you asked to yourself the wrong question.

I mean these are the best links on the net (really) I'm not kidding but the problem or the real question is not: carcass do you have other 10/100 links to improve ?? but rather what can I do to improve my RC skills in general??

To foster our RC skills (in general and also for Toefl and Gmat) is a long process. there is no a magic formula for this. Moreover,, this is the reason why RC section of the GMAT is the most difficult part to improve in a relative short of time.

The only method to improve is to read books (I do not have enough time for this at the moment, though is one of my favourite thing to do) or for instance each day to read at least an half an hour the economist the new yorker the atlantic (one of my favourite) smithsonian and so on......good reading and at the same time try to undrstand what these lectures try to say or communicate.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 596 [0]
Given Kudos: 82
Send PM
ok carcas. Thanks for reply.

actually i have started reading WSJ, economist, NYT. but still i could not have that much grip on RC.

well i l try my best to get grip on the RC.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1833 [1]
Given Kudos: 370
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Health Care)
Send PM
Kudos
Gr8 stuff , topic bookmarked
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32883 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
I added a rar file where you can find very useful passages fot the Toefl plus files about verbal practice structure (phrases where you have to add the lacking words).

Hope it is useful ;)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
This is my 1st post here & i'm waking up from slumber :sleeping: to Thank you.
Thanks a ton for your wonderful post carcass :thumbup: :punk !!!

For some unexplainable reasons i had only 5 days between GMAT & TOEFL, i dint even know the format of TOEFL :shock:
I simply followed/read each and every link posted by you and i think they are more than enough to tackle TOEFL.

Today I received my score, got 106(Reading:27 || Listening:27 || Speaking:24 || Writing:28).
The bad score in Speaking can be attributed to lack of practice & disturbance in the test center. I was last to start the speaking section and it was difficult to concentrate with 5 people screaming & the instructor asking them to lower their voice.

Since TOEFL is a pass/fail exam & i meet the TOEFL requirements of my target schools, i'm happy :beer with the score if not elated .
Board of Directors
Send PM
Added a PDF toefl_Overview

Tips (no in the others file) and a huge section on how you can foster your vocabulary and a lot of practice

Regards
Board of Directors
Send PM
Writing_practice_test_1_IELTS_Academic

Added this file from IELT website to foster your skills about writing. It si from IELT but is also a really good resource for TOEFL practice
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Tin: Phan
WE:Business Development (Insurance)
Send PM
Awesome source. kudo to carcass.
Cheers,
Tin
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Thank you very much for all these useful links (pity there are so many I'm not even sure I'll have the time to get through all of them!!) :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
carcass,

Your post looks amazing, I planned to take TOEFL on November. I need at least 26 for speaking and 24 for the rest but honestly I doubt if I could reach my goal. I'm not confident enough and not linguistically ready as well, specially in speaking section I tend to speak so slow which is natural to me even in normal circumstances and had a hard time organizing and expressing my thought. Any other resource to improve my speaking skills?

Originally posted by maypt on 26 Aug 2013, 20:31.
Last edited by maypt on 30 Aug 2013, 00:01, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey :)
I've got a HUUUUUUGE problem with the speaking section as well (my problem is however not speaking slowly but rather fast and above all, the fact that I can't manage to keep track of time when I want to mention everything and I always go beyond the allotted time by about 3 seconds... very frustrating :x ...)
Anyway, here's a good website that has so far helped me a lot in organising my ideas and to follow a solid structure in my speech :
search "english-itutor TOEFL_Speaking_Mentor" on Google and look for Jason Renshaw (can't post urls before I've got 5 posts on this forum....)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
watiss wrote:
Hey :)
I've got a HUUUUUUGE problem with the speaking section as well (my problem is however not speaking slowly but rather fast and above all, the fact that I can't manage to keep track of time when I want to mention everything and I always go beyond the allotted time by about 3 seconds... very frustrating :x ...)
Anyway, here's a good website that has so far helped me a lot in organising my ideas and to follow a solid structure in my speech :
search "english-itutor TOEFL_Speaking_Mentor" on Google and look for Jason Renshaw (can't post urls before I've got 5 posts on this forum....)

Hey there,

Thanks for giving the website!
Have you taken the Toefl exam? So what's your score in speaking section if you don't mind?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
No, I'll be passing it soon (GREAT stress pressure :| ) So I try to work equally on each section, but the speaking is really the most difficult part so I look for good websites and good tips for that section particularly, that's why I found the one I recommended you 'cause perosnnally I fell that I can handle the subjects a little bit better now than before.. but after all, maybe it comes from practice... I'd say the most important thing is to practice, really.. even though it can become a bit tiring after a while :s
And oh, by the way, I just heard that there's a 10-session class included owth the price of the registration. Is that true?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
watiss wrote:
No, I'll be passing it soon (GREAT stress pressure :| ) So I try to work equally on each section, but the speaking is really the most difficult part so I look for good websites and good tips for that section particularly, that's why I found the one I recommended you 'cause perosnnally I fell that I can handle the subjects a little bit better now than before.. but after all, maybe it comes from practice... I'd say the most important thing is to practice, really.. even though it can become a bit tiring after a while :s
And oh, by the way, I just heard that there's a 10-session class included owth the price of the registration. Is that true?

You mean free 10- session class? I haven't heard about that. Well, if it's true then I wish I can avail it. And about the exam,why not give it a try? Because you sounds good and I'm pretty sure you've been through a lot of practice already. Am I right? Me? Not really. Allotting time for speaking practice really sucks since I work for a living now and so busy in many things like taking care of my baby and so on. I wonder if looking for speaking partners online would help?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [3]
Schools: HBS '17
Send PM
Kudos