Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 07:03 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 07:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [22]
Given Kudos: 781
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [9]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
General Discussion
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [2]
Given Kudos: 781
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 373 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Virtually everything astronomers known about objects outside the solar [#permalink]
I aced this passage. I eliminated B for the first one because the Author does not mention about the history of the universe in the entire scope. I liked the word threshold because already Neutrinos can be detected and that itself is a major breakthrough ( mentioned in the begining of the second paragraph )

took 5 minutes

1.A
2.C
3.A
4.D
5.E
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Send PM
Re: Virtually everything astronomers known about objects outside the solar [#permalink]
Praetorian wrote:
This is a good candidate for your error log. just make a note for yourself saying... the first paragraph gives the most important clue about the title...of course you have to study the answer choices for choosing the right answer.

Correct praet, Thanks for reply. I accord you and i have taken this as a note, ofcourse to personal rc-log :)

Dharmin
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1953 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q49  V41
Send PM
I am signing up. Just like the good old ad, am egg a day keeps the doctor away, 3 RC's a day gets you closer to the GMAT target.

Here is what I got.

I feel that passages as long as this one are atypical of GMAT.

How much time do you think is good enough for this passage?

Any ways, if this is LSAT stuff, its good to do because it makes GMAT RC easier.

B T W, I took a guess on Q 5, which had line numbers mentioned in Q and the Q did not have the appropriate lines underlined. I hope I am right on that.

B,C,A,D,E,A,E,D,C

I was really torn on the first Q and spent a lot of time. Nothing made sense to me. By POE I arrived at B.

Now lets get to the OA's/OE's and discussion.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3827 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Now since I know how the Real Qs look like ..promise you all that I will try to post GMAT-like RCs(theme wise-astronomy,archaeology,paleontology,World War II, Climate Change, paintings etc)
this one is not from LSAT category

Q 1 was most difficult to guess.I got 5/9 right.Poor I must say :o
I believe one can take 2 Mins/Qs..say 16-18 Mins for this 9 Q passage(becoz its not a tough passage)
with practice, we should bring done the time taken/passage
every 10-20 seconds we save will help us in CR/SC

will post the OAs soon
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2799 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Threshold means "The starting point for a new state or experience"

In the passage, it has been stated that scientists have proposed the concept of neutrinos. here is the line
"Fortunately, a group of astrophysicists has proposed a means of detecting cosmic neutrinos by harnessing the mass of the ocean"
Also the passage concludes with "Neutrino astronomy will doubtless bring its own share of surprises". Hence the name "At the threshold of N A" is most suitable.

icandy wrote:
1 is A?

At the threshold of N A?

What does the word threshold mean here in this context? Long due?? Is that what it means?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 444 [0]
Send PM
By POE, I also had to choose from option A and B and finally chose option B. However, after seeing the OA, A does make sense.

The passage does not talk about History of universe with respect to Nutrino. In fact, it explains hos Nutrino Astronomy and expects surprises. Hence, an answer choice with "Nutrono Astronomy" will be the most correct answer. Here, between A and B, A contains this.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
8/9 17 Min. I feel this one had many questions that were Specific to the passage type...no Main Idea, what did the author mean, etc

2. I missed...I had it down to C and E and went with E based on the understanding that the passage said it was discovered 25 years ago but with no real testing. So I interpreted the answer choice but I guess the answer choice is relative.

3. Was tricky and was down to A and C...but after POE I went with A
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 724 [1]
Given Kudos: 155
Send PM
Kudos
Can someone pls explain the OA for Q3 ?

3. In the last paragraph, the author describes the development of astronomy in order to
(A) suggest that the potential findings of neutrino astronomy can be seen as part of a series of astronomical successes
(B) illustrate the role of surprise in scientific discovery
(C) demonstrate the effectiveness of the DUMAND apparatus in detecting neutrinos
(D) name some cosmic phenomena that neutrino astronomy will illuminate
(E) contrast the motivation of earlier astronomers with that of the astrophysicists working on the DUMAND project

I marked it as B)

Thanks in advance

PS : This is the only Q i got wrong (solved it under 6 mins)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Can any one provide the explanation for the first problem. I choose C - The study and creation of Neutrinos. First paragraph provides the details of the Neutrinos with its introduction. Second talks about the artificial creation of Neutrinos. Why is this not the answer? Why A?
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5429 [0]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Expert Reply
meetmba91 wrote:
Can any one provide the explanation for the first problem. I choose C - The study and creation of Neutrinos. First paragraph provides the details of the Neutrinos with its introduction. Second talks about the artificial creation of Neutrinos. Why is this not the answer? Why A?

Notice that all over the passage the author is trying to convey the importance of Neutrinos and the difficulties they are facing in detecting them. Then the author says if we are able to find a way to detect it, we will be able to see many more surprises.

Only Option A is as per the Passage.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 393 [2]
Given Kudos: 204
Concentration: Operations, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V38
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
11 min 8 seconds

1 incorrect .

Last one got wrong- but knew the answer from : "since then virtually all research with neutrinos has been with neutrinos created artificially in large particle accelerators "
D mentions process for detection not helpful for studying properties. according to passage.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 122 [3]
Given Kudos: 658
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Kudos
Total 7 minutes

1. Which of the following titles best summarizes the passage as a whole?
(A) At the Threshold of Neutrino Astronomy -> correct, the passage talks about some details of neutrinos, including why neutrinos are important, how to detect them and the project involved in their detection.
(B) Neutrinos and the History of the Universe -> wrong, there's only a small detail about the history of the universe that is mentioned
(C) The Creation and Study of Neutrinos ->wrong, the passage doesn't speak about the creation of neutrinos
(D) The DUMAND System and How It Works -> wrong, mentioned as a detailed in the last paragraph
(E) The Properties of the Neutrino -> wrong, discussed only in the first paragraph

2. With which of the following statements regarding neutrino astronomy would the author be most likely to agree?
(A) Neutrino astronomy will supersede all present forms of astronomy. -> there's no such claim
(B) Neutrino astronomy will be abandoned if the DUMAND project fails. -> there's no such claim
(C) Neutrino astronomy can be expected to lead to major breakthroughs in astronomy. -> correct, "Neutrino astronomy will doubtless bring its own share of surprises."
(D) Neutrino astronomy will disclose phenomena that will be more surprising than past discoveries. -> there's no such distinction made
(E) Neutrino astronomy will always be characterized by a large time lag between hypothesis and experimental confirmation. -> may be true, but not mentioned

3. In the last paragraph, the author describes the development of astronomy in order to
(A) suggest that the potential findings of neutrino astronomy can be seen as part of a series of astronomical successes -> correct, "The extension of astronomy from visible light to radio waves to x-rays and gamma rays never failed to lead to the discovery of unusual objects such as radio galaxies, quasars, and pulsars. Each of these discoveries came as a surprise. Neutrino astronomy will doubtless bring its own share of surprises."
(B) illustrate the role of surprise in scientific discovery -> wrong, findings from the study of neutrinos are likely to cause surprise
(C) demonstrate the effectiveness of the DUMAND apparatus in detecting neutrinos -> wrong, the effectiveness is not discussed
(D) name some cosmic phenomena that neutrino astronomy will illuminate -> it is said that findings will bring a share of surprises, but it is not said what specific phenomena it will reveal
(E) contrast the motivation of earlier astronomers with that of the astrophysicists working on the DUMAND project -> no mention of this

4. According to the passage, one advantage that neutrinos have for studies in astronomy is that they
(A) have been detected for the last twenty-five years -> wrong, "Twenty-five years passed between Pauli's hypothesis that the neutrino existed and its actual detection"
(B) possess a variable electric charge -> on the contrary, they have no electric charge
(C) are usually extremely massive -> on the contrary, they are of negligible mass and their detection apparatus would have to be massive
(D) carry information about their history with them -> correct, "Furthermore, neutrinos carry with them information about the site and circumstances of their production: therefore, the detection of cosmic neutrinos could provide new information about a wide variety of cosmic phenomena and about the history of the universe."
(E) are very similar to other electromagnetic particles -> only electromagnetic radiation is mentioned

5. According to the passage, the primary use of the apparatus mentioned in the highlighted portion would be to
(A) increase the mass of a neutrino -> wrong
(B) interpret the information neutrinos carry with them -> wrong
(C) study the internal structure of a neutrino -> wrong
(D) see neutrinos in distant regions of space -> wrong
(E) detect the presence of cosmic neutrinos -> "But a neutrino telescope, capable of detecting cosmic neutrinos, is difficult to construct."
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Why is the answer to 3 A and not B
Similarly C and not D to 8
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32974 [0]
Given Kudos: 5780
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Expert Reply
pjthatsme318 wrote:

Hello dear

Both of these questions are of medium difficulty levels. In question number three the intent of the author is to know the main idea of the last paragraph. You just have to identify the main idea of these 3-4 lines. B is never near even. The world surprise is used here just to highlight that the method will lead to more and more knowledge and discoveries and there is no any other use of the word it is used to show the value of the method DUMAND. If you think B should be the answer then your basics are not good and you need to work hard on RC section.

For the question #8 the answer is given in the second last paragraph in the lines:

The detecting medium is the seawater itself: when a neutrino interacts with a particle in an atom of seawater, the result is a cascade of electrically charged particles and a flash of light that can be detected by the sensors.

Hope it helps
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Can someone explain why #9 is C instead of D?

9. According to the passage, one of the methods used to establish the properties of neutrinos was
(A) detection of photons
(B) observation of the interaction of neutrinos with gamma rays
(C) observation of neutrinos that were artificially created
since then virtually all research with neutrinos has been with neutrinos created artificially

(D) measurement of neutrinos that interacted with particles of seawater
(E) experiments with electromagnetic radiation
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 683 [1]
Given Kudos: 1316
Send PM
Kudos
LauraChen310 wrote:
Can someone explain why #9 is C instead of D?

9. According to the passage, one of the methods used to establish the properties of neutrinos was
(A) detection of photons
(B) observation of the interaction of neutrinos with gamma rays
since then virtually all research with neutrinos has been with neutrinos created artificially

(E) experiments with electromagnetic radiation

Hi LauraChen310,

Quote:

Lines: "Twenty-five years passed between Pauli’s hypothesis that the neutrino existed and its actual detection: since then virtually all research with neutrinos has been with neutrinos created artificially in large particle accelerators and studied under neutrino microscopes. "

Option C can be directly inferred from the above lines.

Quote:

What we can infer from the project DUMAND is that it is a recent project for the detection of neutrinos in seawater. Since it's a recent and ongoing method, it will be too soon to say that this was one of the methods used to establish the properties of neutrinos. Thus C is the better answer.

Hope This Helps.
Thanks.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 626
Send PM
Sajjad1994 wrote:
pjthatsme318 wrote:

Hello dear

Both of these questions are of medium difficulty levels. In question number three the intent of the author is to know the main idea of the last paragraph. You just have to identify the main idea of these 3-4 lines. B is never near even. The world surprise is used here just to highlight that the method will lead to more and more knowledge and discoveries and there is no any other use of the word it is used to show the value of the method DUMAND. If you think B should be the answer then your basics are not good and you need to work hard on RC section.

For the question #8 the answer is given in the second last paragraph in the lines:

The detecting medium is the seawater itself: when a neutrino interacts with a particle in an atom of seawater, the result is a cascade of electrically charged particles and a flash of light that can be detected by the sensors.

Hope it helps

Sajjad1994
Thank you for your helpful reply. For question 7, I was confused because both answer choices B and E seem to be mentioned:
"the neutrino interacts with other particles so rarely that a neutrino can cross the entire universe, even traversing substantial aggregations of matter, without being absorbed or even deflected. Neutrinos can thus escape from regions of space where light and other kinds of electromagnetic radiation are blocked by matter"

I realize that Choice E seems more specific because it is first mentioned, but also saying "neutrinos can thus" seems to also include Choice B.

Thank you for your insights in advance.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13961 posts