Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 02:00 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 02:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 130 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1585 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Re: INSEAD Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Hi Experts,
Can you please evaluate my profile?I would like to apply for INSEAD Jan2018 intake.

Back ground:31 year old Indian female(and mother of a year old runner :) )
Education: B.Tech in Electronics from one of the reputed colleges in India
GPA:3.5
GMAT Score:700(Q49,V36,IR2,AWA waiting)
Domain:Satellite and Launch Vehicle technology
Experience:9 years

Job description:
Current role:
I work with Indian Space Research Organization. My designation is Scientist/Engineer and role is that of a production manager who manages the production line of few of the communication modules installed in India’s satellites .My team size varies between 6-12 as per the size and complexity of the satellite under production.I manage a cross functional team consisting of experts from fabrication,assembly and testing of satellite modules.

Previous role:
Worked as a design engineer in the launch vehicle telemetry line prior to getting promotion to the current role.

Professional Achievements:
1)A data acquisition system designed by me flies in all major launch vehicles of India 2)All communication modules came out of my production
line in last 3 years are serving the nation on live satellites.
Extracurricular:
Lead a crowd funding campaign to buy rifles for a paraplegic friend who is a national level shooter.He is practising for 2020 paralympics now.
I along with a bunch of friends could teach the girl students in a govt tribal school for more than a year.
Active member of a number of NGOs.
Some significant achievements during school and college days.

International Exposure:
Professional:Nil
Personal: An avid traveller.Have visited 6 countries and have spent more than a month in 2 countries.

(Some more background.I am not sure whether this will be of any use!)
I am kind of self made.Coming from a vernacular background,I studied in below average schools where medium of study was not English.Most of my schools don’t even exist now.I would be the first engineer coming out of my schools.

Thanks,
Aswathi
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Re: INSEAD Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
aswathi7586@gmail.com wrote:
Hi Experts,
Can you please evaluate my profile?I would like to apply for INSEAD Jan2018 intake.

Job description:
Current role:
I work with Indian Space Research Organization. My designation is Scientist/Engineer and role is that of a production manager who manages the production line of few of the communication modules installed in India’s satellites .My team size varies between 6-12 as per the size and complexity of the satellite under production.I manage a cross functional team consisting of experts from fabrication,assembly and testing of satellite modules.

Previous role:
Worked as a design engineer in the launch vehicle telemetry line prior to getting promotion to the current role.

1)A data acquisition system designed by me flies in all major launch vehicles of India 2)All communication modules came out of my production
Extracurricular:
Lead a crowd funding campaign to buy rifles for a paraplegic friend who is a national level shooter.He is practising for 2020 paralympics now.
I along with a bunch of friends could teach the girl students in a govt tribal school for more than a year.

International Exposure:
Personal: An avid traveller.Have visited 6 countries and have spent more than a month in 2 countries.

I am kind of self made.Coming from a vernacular background,I studied in below average schools where medium of study was not English.Most of my schools don’t even exist now.I would be the first engineer coming out of my schools.

Thanks,
Aswathi

Hi Aswathi

Thanks for posting.

- While a 700 on the GMAT (for an Indian applicant) is around the edge, your work experience is highly differentiated and can help you craft a very unique story. Combined with strong post-MBA goals this can find favor with INSEAD.
- The lack of professional international experience is a bit of a negative, but you do have excellent leadership and community experience as well. In addition, the personal travel abroad helps too.
- Your background is relevant to who you are, and INSEAD is always interested in that information (they have an entire essay dedicated to it!). This will matter as well, not just in the context of how you grew, but also of how that shaped you.

In case you are looking for further perspectives, please feel free to get in touch or respond here.

Hope this helps. Feel free to come back with more queries as needed.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Thanks for the inputs Gyanone.I am targeting to apply in round 3. I will try to write GMAT once again if I manage to squeeze in some free time in between.Will there be a negative impact in case I get a lower score in the second attempt?

Thanks,
Aswathi
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 1109 [0]
Given Kudos: 1752
GPA: 4
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Experts,

Job description:
Current role:

Previous role:

Extracurricular:

International Exposure:

Thanks,
Aswathi

My opinion is that admission in your case could go both ways, as your GMAT is a bit off for an Indian applicant (that is, however, something that can be overcome in my experience) and the lack of international experience is an issue at INSEAD specifically (and an issue that may be harder to overcome at that). Therefore, my first question to you would be if you are only applying to INSEAD? I am asking as the second issue is a non-issue or less of an issue in many other schools so your chances might be significantly better for them.

That said, I do like the rest of your profile A LOT so I do believe you would have a chance of admission with good essays and if you can present yourself and your previous experience in the right way. So if you are not confident in your own abilities when it comes to this, do not be afraid to get professional assistance with that part! It can make all the difference!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Thanks for the inputs Aringo.

I am already 31 and hence would like to get an admission latest by Jan2018. Well, I couldn't find many options to choose from as most of the colleges are in the 4th round of admissions now.
Insead is my first option and AGSM(Australia) is the backup.Do you think I can apply to any other colleges for Jan2018 admissions?

Thanks,
Aswathi
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
Hi experts,

It would be great if you could evaluate my profile for admission to INSEAD:

Nationality :Indian
GMAT: 790 :) (V: 48 Q:51 AWA: 4 IR: 5)

Education:
Undergraduate: Computer Science Engineering from Netaji Subhas Institute of Technology (Delhi University), one of the top 10 engineering colleges in India
CGPA : 3.2/4 (equivalent calculated by WES)

Postgraduate: MBA in General Management from National Institute of Industrial Engineering (NITIE) Mumbai, one of top 15 B-schools in India
GPA: 8.1/10

Certifications: FRM (Financial Risk Manager) both levels cleared.

Work Experience: Almost 6 years
Pre-MBA Job - Software developer in Aricent Technologies (a communication software company)
Worked for 2 years as a software developer on one of CISCO's proprietary products in the Voice over IP (VoIP) domain. This was basically a gateway used as an interface between legacy networks and VoIP. List of customers included major telecom service providers such as Comcast, AT&T and British Telecom. I was part of a 10+ member development team and built features for new releases of the product including one that led to significant bandwidth optimization and cost savings for the customers. Worked closely with testing and customer escalation teams, so had a good experience of working and coordinating in a large team setting. Did not have any people management responsibilities exactly, but I did contribute to training and development of new joiners in the latter part of my stint.

Post-MBA Jobs: Risk Analytics Consultant in Capgemini (1 year) and Accenture (close to 3 years and counting)
I have worked as a consultant in the area of credit risk for banks and financial institutions. Built advanced statistical models in SAS for application in acquisition, customer management and loss forecasting. Focus has been on the US risk regulatory landscape including Basel and CCAR (capital adequacy) regulations. Clients have included some of the biggest US banks with more than $50 bn in consolidated assets. Have worked on both retail and wholesale portfolios; currently working on loss forecasting of more than $60 bn credit card portfolio of one of the biggest US banks. I have interacted with and presented to the senior stakeholders of the client, who in turn report directly to the CRO. My experience has been a good mix of technical aspects of analytics and modeling as well as the strategic aspects of risk management. I have also worked on multiple business development opportunities and proof of concept initiatives. I have also managed analysts in the team on a day to day basis - project team size has varied from less than 5 to 10+ depending on the project.

International Exposure: I have not traveled a lot for work, however, I have worked remotely with multicultural teams as is the case with most projects in a global company like Accenture. At a personal level, I have traveled to US, Europe and multiple countries in SE Asia. My travels have always had an adventurous touch to them, so have plenty of interesting experiences to share :)

Extra- Curricular: As mentioned, travel and adventure are my passions. I am a PADI certified diver, and have gone for dives in multiple locations in SE Asia. I have been part of multiple student organizations at both undergraduate and postgraduate level, including the alumni committee at NITIE. I have also won awards in maths/quant/finance related quizzes and competitions.

Post MBA Goal - I want to leverage my analytics and consulting experience to work in a strategy consulting role in the area of digital transformation. In terms of sector, I have my eye on financial services given my background and the advent of the 'fintech' revolution. A lot of consulting firms have dedicated 'digital strategy' teams and I would love to be part of one of them.

Reasons for second MBA: My first MBA exposed me to various facets of management and introduced me to the field of risk which I have grown to love. Having said that, it was at a relatively early stage in my career - I have grown a lot personally and professionally since then. I feel at this stage that an MBA from a b-school such as INSEAD will add tremendous value and will also give me the international exposure essential to succeed at a global level.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 155
Send PM
Expert Reply
svalecha wrote:
Hi experts,

It would be great if you could evaluate my profile for admission to INSEAD:

Nationality :Indian
GMAT: 790 :) (V: 48 Q:51 AWA: 4 IR: 5)

Education:
Undergraduate: Computer Science Engineering from Netaji Subhas Institute of Technology (Delhi University), one of the top 10 engineering colleges in India
CGPA : 3.2/4 (equivalent calculated by WES)

Postgraduate: MBA in General Management from National Institute of Industrial Engineering (NITIE) Mumbai, one of top 15 B-schools in India
GPA: 8.1/10

Certifications: FRM (Financial Risk Manager) both levels cleared.

Work Experience: Almost 6 years
Pre-MBA Job - Software developer in Aricent Technologies (a communication software company)
Worked for 2 years as a software developer on one of CISCO's proprietary products in the Voice over IP (VoIP) domain. This was basically a gateway used as an interface between legacy networks and VoIP. List of customers included major telecom service providers such as Comcast, AT&T and British Telecom. I was part of a 10+ member development team and built features for new releases of the product including one that led to significant bandwidth optimization and cost savings for the customers. Worked closely with testing and customer escalation teams, so had a good experience of working and coordinating in a large team setting. Did not have any people management responsibilities exactly, but I did contribute to training and development of new joiners in the latter part of my stint.

Post-MBA Jobs: Risk Analytics Consultant in Capgemini (1 year) and Accenture (close to 3 years and counting)
I have worked as a consultant in the area of credit risk for banks and financial institutions. Built advanced statistical models in SAS for application in acquisition, customer management and loss forecasting. Focus has been on the US risk regulatory landscape including Basel and CCAR (capital adequacy) regulations. Clients have included some of the biggest US banks with more than $50 bn in consolidated assets. Have worked on both retail and wholesale portfolios; currently working on loss forecasting of more than $60 bn credit card portfolio of one of the biggest US banks. I have interacted with and presented to the senior stakeholders of the client, who in turn report directly to the CRO. My experience has been a good mix of technical aspects of analytics and modeling as well as the strategic aspects of risk management. I have also worked on multiple business development opportunities and proof of concept initiatives. I have also managed analysts in the team on a day to day basis - project team size has varied from less than 5 to 10+ depending on the project.

International Exposure: I have not traveled a lot for work, however, I have worked remotely with multicultural teams as is the case with most projects in a global company like Accenture. At a personal level, I have traveled to US, Europe and multiple countries in SE Asia. My travels have always had an adventurous touch to them, so have plenty of interesting experiences to share :)

Extra- Curricular: As mentioned, travel and adventure are my passions. I am a PADI certified diver, and have gone for dives in multiple locations in SE Asia. I have been part of multiple student organizations at both undergraduate and postgraduate level, including the alumni committee at NITIE. I have also won awards in maths/quant/finance related quizzes and competitions.

Post MBA Goal - I want to leverage my analytics and consulting experience to work in a strategy consulting role in the area of digital transformation. In terms of sector, I have my eye on financial services given my background and the advent of the 'fintech' revolution. A lot of consulting firms have dedicated 'digital strategy' teams and I would love to be part of one of them.

Reasons for second MBA: My first MBA exposed me to various facets of management and introduced me to the field of risk which I have grown to love. Having said that, it was at a relatively early stage in my career - I have grown a lot personally and professionally since then. I feel at this stage that an MBA from a b-school such as INSEAD will add tremendous value and will also give me the international exposure essential to succeed at a global level.

Hi ,

Your GMAT score is ....wow! wow!! wow!!!

I'd like you to check your undergrad score once again - I think the WES's free services is not as comprehensive as compared to the paid one. In any case as b-schools accept your original scores without requiring a conversion, its better to use the original ones when you report them.

You are a strong candidate for INSEAD as well as other b-schools you may want to add to your target list. Do remember that INSEAD highly values leadership and international experience and demonstrate these amply in your application. Use your extra curricular experiences as well as work/ personal foreign travels and multicultural team experiences to highlight your international exposure.

Talking about Fintech, I'll point you to the fintech concentration that NYU Stern has launched just this year- you may want to look at its details if a two year MBA is exciting to you.

Do reach out if you'd like to discuss in more details. My email address is in the signature below
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 155
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Aswasthi,

Hi Experts,

Job description:
Current role:

Previous role:

Extracurricular:

International Exposure:

Thanks,
Aswathi

There are certain things I love about your profile:
1. Work exp. in ISRO (differentiated)
2. Manage a few production lines (leadership capability- we can get into more details here, to understand how difficult your job is. This role also points to a cross functional work environment, which would help you build a flexible mindset about working with diverse people).
3. You are a self made woman- rising from nowhere to the position where you are today requires solid resolve and grit - qualities loved by b-schools. INSEAD specifically asks for a personal story essay and you should have some great stories to come up with.
4. Empowering an athlete through fundraising.

I'd not be too concerned with your GMAT score on the assumption that you will submit a otherwise very strong application. I know people from your background are quite valued. This year I worked with an ISRO/ DRDO applicant with a 600 GMAT score who has been admitted into IIMA PGPX, with the same years of work experience as yours. Another of my applicant with differentiated work experience got an admit into INSEAD with a better but still subpar score. And your GMAT are way above that of these guys.

My suggestion is to focus on your strengths and create an outstanding application.

Feel free to reach out if you wish to discuss in more detail
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM