Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 02:55 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 02:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 2.61
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 130 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
Re: INSEAD Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Hello Everyone,

I am an Indian male 28 years old and working as 2nd officer in Merchant Navy. Currently sailing on Oil Tanker ships. I have a diverse experience of sailing in different kinds of ships : Container ships, Bulk carrier ships and Oil Tanker ships. Total work exp. of 6 yrs (28 years old).

Education:

Grad. - 71% (from a reputed Maritime school, founded in 1927)

GMAT- 740 Q50 V40 IR 7 AWA 4.5

I have also worked in a small shipping company after my graduation for about six months as operations manager, in which I had also been given responsibilty to teach non shipping persons about the shipping operations before their employement in that company.

Active in sports during college and school days.

Volunteering Experience : Nothing substantial.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum

CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 156
Send PM
Re: INSEAD Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Rishirajchauhan11 wrote:
Hello Everyone,

I am an Indian male 28 years old and working as 2nd officer in Merchant Navy. Currently sailing on Oil Tanker ships. I have a diverse experience of sailing in different kinds of ships : Container ships, Bulk carrier ships and Oil Tanker ships. Total work exp. of 6 yrs (28 years old).

Education:

I have also worked in a small shipping company after my graduation for about six months as operations manager, in which I had also been given responsibilty to teach non shipping persons about the shipping operations before their employement in that company.

Hi Rishiraj,

That's a nice profile. You have the right academic scores (GPA+GMAT) and from my knowledge of merchant navy jobs, I'd say you will have some strong leadership experiences to show. What exactly is your job profile? Are you working in operations?

I am assuming that you wish to change your industry/ job profile after MBA and for that it will be crucial to draw linkages between your past experiences and skills gained to what you wish to do in the future (i.e show transferable skills).

Have you travelled abroad on work? What is your international experience like?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
Hi! MBADecoder,

Thanks for replying.

I am 2nd officer on merchant ships. As per my current job profile I am responsible for the navigation of ship, planning voyages from one country to another. Though, the job description changes with ranks on ships and at different ranks, one is responsible for different jobs onboard ship.

Yes, I wish to change industry and would like to work in operations or consulting in a good shipping company.

I do have a lot of travelling experience. I have been to more than 25 countries, while being on ships. Though, this experience doesn't count much, as we do nit stay in a particular country for long. But, I have worked with lots if multinational crew.

CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
Rishirajchauhan11 wrote:
Hi! MBADecoder,

Thanks for replying.

I am 2nd officer on merchant ships. As per my current job profile I am responsible for the navigation of ship, planning voyages from one country to another. Though, the job description changes with ranks on ships and at different ranks, one is responsible for different jobs onboard ship.

Yes, I wish to change industry and would like to work in operations or consulting in a good shipping company.

I do have a lot of travelling experience. I have been to more than 25 countries, while being on ships. Though, this experience doesn't count much, as we do nit stay in a particular country for long. But, I have worked with lots if multinational crew.

Rishiraj,
You are in good shape. As I stated earlier your operations job will give you good writing material to showcase your leadership in the application. And based on my past experience of working with people with your background, I'd add, you would have meaningful cross cultural experiences, even with the short stays.

Now INSEAD has great ties with companies like Amazon, and there are students who get into Amazon's Pathways program - which is a leadership development program for operations roles. You could target such roles after MBA, or go the consulting route.

Feel free to reach out for a more detailed discussion
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hi all,

I took my gmat and scored 690 (Q50,V33,IR 8).

INSEAD is my most preferred college as I am targeting only 1 year MBA.

My Profile in Brief is as below:

1. Experience: 6 years in Total (5 in HR and 1 in Marketing). Have won Emerging Young HR Leader, India award. Part of HR Leadership Program of one of the most reputed Conglomerate of India.

2. Education: MBA from a reputed Bschool in India in 2012 (Ranked among top 10% of batch); Engineering (Information Tech) from Mumbai University (Among Top 10%). Equivalent GPA For both comes to 4/4 as per worldeducation.

Please suggest what are my chances for Insead considering the above.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
hra wrote:
Hi all,

1. Experience: 6 years in Total (5 in HR and 1 in Marketing). Have won Emerging Young HR Leader, India award. Part of HR Leadership Program of one of the most reputed Conglomerate of India.

2. Education: MBA from a reputed Bschool in India in 2012 (Ranked among top 10% of batch); Engineering (Information Tech) from Mumbai University (Among Top 10%). Equivalent GPA For both comes to 4/4 as per worldeducation.

Hi hra :)

Thanks for sharing your profile details.

To begin with, we must tell you that your work experience, high GPA, and your Leadership Award will strongly boost your success chances at INSEAD. :)

At this point, we recommend that you retake the GMAT and concentrate on getting the highest score that you can. Remember, the average GMAT score expectations are always higher for Indian applicants.

We are confident that your existing profile, coupled with a higher GMAT score, as well as an effective portrayal of your career goals and the need for a second MBA, will give you a strong chance at gaining an INSEAD admit :)

All the best!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools: AGSM '18
Send PM
Hi hra

Your gmat score looks good to me.... remember at international level this is a very good score plus the average GMAT score at Insead is around 700.

Believe you should work on uour application and reference

I know ppl who have got in at 650...you should have a good narration of your profile.

The fixation with 700+ in india is overrated.

Regards

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Hi

Pl can you evaluate my profile for 1 year MBA programs & share relevant colleges. Interested in Insead & ISB.

I am preparing for GMAT & aim for a score of 650-680 and looking forward to 2019 enrollment.

- 35 years Indian Male
- Bachelor of Commerce ( H) from DU , ICWA (Inter) , IIM R Data Analytics Certification.
- Senior Manager for Finance & Supply Chain Projects with IBM
- 12 years experience ( Infosys, Capgemini , IBM ) as a client managing consultant & advisory for Europe , USA & APAC clients. Projects managed worth $10 million - $ 100 million & managing team sizes globally during projects from 50 - 200 people.
- Awarded Best Project Manager by Infosys
- 3 years International stay exposure based out of England ( 2 years ) & Singapore ( 1 year )
- Senior Reviewer with Trip Advisor ( 24000 + readers ) for frequent travels documented during official trips to Europe , APAC & USA
- Volunteer at orphanage run by charitable foundation teaching kids and supporting weekend meals

Your guidance is most welcome. Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Hello Experts,

Pl can you evaluate my profile for 1 year MBA programs & share relevant colleges. I am preparing for GMAT & aim for a score of 650-680 and looking forward to next year admissions.

- 35 years Indian Male
- Bachelor of Commerce ( H) from DU & ICWA Inter
- 12 + years international experience ( Infosys, Capgemini , IBM ) as a client managing consultant & advisory for Europe , USA & APAC clients. Projects managed worth $5 million - $ 100 million & managing team sizes globally during projects from 40 - 200 people.
- 3 years International stay exposure based out of England ( 2 years ) & Singapore ( 1 year )
- Senior Reviewer with Trip Advisor ( 20000 + readers ) for frequent travels documented during official trips to Europe , APAC & USA
- Volunteer at orphanage run by charitable foundation teaching kids and supporting weekend meals

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Hi guys,

Please evaluate my profile:

GMAT: 720 (QA48/VA41/IR7) AWA score - Awaited

Academic Profile:
B.E. Mechanical Engineering from a top private university (GPA: 8.51/10, translates to 3.4/4) - 2009
PGDM from a new IIM (GPA: 9.21/10, translates to 3.7/4, Gold medalist - Institute rank 2) - 2012

Work Experience:
Currently working as a Senior Consultant (Strategy) at a Big 4.

Overall work ex:
Post PGDM
2.5 years in Strategy Consulting (2 promotions)
~3 years in Banking (1 promotion; last designation: Senior Manager, Corporate Finance)
Pre PGDM
~1 year as Manager in Pharma company (plant)

Extra curricular:
Won several singing competitions at Inter University level

International experience:
13 months: 7 months full time in UAE, 6 months full time in Hong Kong (both while working for the Strategy Consulting firms)
Countries traveled to as part of personal trips: France, Italy and Turkey

Post MBA goals: Join an MBB consulting firm

Thanks in advance!
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1586 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
hra wrote:
Hi all,

Hi hra

Do you have international experience? That is an important consideration for applying to INSEAD.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
GS1607 wrote:
Hi guys,

Academic Profile:
B.E. Mechanical Engineering from a top private university (GPA: 8.51/10, translates to 3.4/4) - 2009
PGDM from a new IIM (GPA: 9.21/10, translates to 3.7/4, Gold medalist - Institute rank 2) - 2012

Work Experience:

Overall work ex:
Post PGDM
~3 years in Banking (1 promotion; last designation: Senior Manager, Corporate Finance)
Pre PGDM

Extra curricular:

13 months: 7 months full time in UAE, 6 months full time in Hong Kong (both while working for the Strategy Consulting firms)

Thanks in advance!

Hi GS1607

You have a nice profile and should have a decent shot at INSEAD, with a strong app. Focus on highlighting the need for a second MBA, and try to go deeper into why your goal is what it is. With a role in Strategy Consulting already, you will be hard pressed in justifying your second MBA simply by indicating a shift to MBB as the objective.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1586 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Rishirajchauhan11 wrote:
Hello Everyone,

Education:

Hi Rishiraj

Well received.

- Your professional experience and international exposure are quite strong. Good career progression as well to second mate. You are at the sweet spot for an MBA application.
- GMAT is excellent as well and well in contention for INSEAD.
- The lack of ECA/personal achievements will need to be addressed as this is one element that INSEAD does tend to focus on. As a shippie, you are excused to an extent, but not completely.
- What are your post-MBA goals?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
GyanOne wrote:
GS1607 wrote:
Hi guys,

Academic Profile:

Work Experience:

Overall work ex:
Post PGDM
Pre PGDM

Extra curricular:

Thanks in advance!

Hi GS1607

You have a nice profile and should have a decent shot at INSEAD, with a strong app. Focus on highlighting the need for a second MBA, and try to go deeper into why your goal is what it is. With a role in Strategy Consulting already, you will be hard pressed in justifying your second MBA simply by indicating a shift to MBB as the objective.

Thanks GyanOne. There are actually multiple reasons why I want to do a second MBA. I shall elaborate them as soon as I get time. But I do get the drift - need to work very hard on my application. Do you think I should take another shot at the GMAT to improve my chances of getting through INSEAD?
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
swarup1981 wrote:
Hello Experts,

Pl can you evaluate my profile for 1 year MBA programs & share relevant colleges. I am preparing for GMAT & aim for a score of 650-680 and looking forward to next year admissions.

- 35 years Indian Male
- Bachelor of Commerce ( H) from DU & ICWA Inter
- 12 + years international experience ( Infosys, Capgemini , IBM ) as a client managing consultant & advisory for Europe , USA & APAC clients. Projects managed worth $5 million - $ 100 million & managing team sizes globally during projects from 40 - 200 people.
- Senior Reviewer with Trip Advisor ( 20000 + readers ) for frequent travels documented during official trips to Europe , APAC & USA

Hi Swarup,

You are on the higher side of age, and also above the average age (29 years) and work experience (5.7 years) of INSEAD full time MBA class.
INSEAD also has an executive MBA program, and chances are they will push you to apply there as you will be a better fit for the eMBA.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
GS1607 wrote:
GyanOne wrote:
GS1607 wrote:
Hi guys,

Academic Profile:

Work Experience:

Overall work ex:
Post PGDM
Pre PGDM

Extra curricular:

Thanks in advance!

Hi GS1607

Thanks GyanOne. There are actually multiple reasons why I want to do a second MBA. I shall elaborate them as soon as I get time. But I do get the drift - need to work very hard on my application. Do you think I should take another shot at the GMAT to improve my chances of getting through INSEAD?

Hi GS1607

The GMAT seems fine. Of course, a 760 (say) would be better than a 720, but if you are applying to INSEAD only, the GMAT score is not a big factor. In addition, maybe consider other schools, such as LBS and IMD, as well, if they suit your personal preferences.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [0]
Given Kudos: 101
Schools: Booth '21 (M)
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Hi GS1607,

I'm not an expert but a fellow applicant who has been gathering a lot of information from various parts of the web.
Although 720 in GMAT is a great score to apply to INSEAD, many consulting firms (specially MBB) also use GMAT scores in evaluation of candidates. So a higher score may benefit you in boosting your candidature for post-INSEAD consulting roles, specially if getting into MBB is a high priority.

GS1607 wrote:
GyanOne wrote:
GS1607 wrote:
Hi guys,

Academic Profile:

Work Experience:

Overall work ex:
Post PGDM

Thanks in advance!

Hi GS1607

GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  70   
Moderator:
MBA Admissions Consultant
3701 posts