Last visit was: 30 Apr 2024, 04:07 It is currently 30 Apr 2024, 04:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8813 [5]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 1971 [0]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6138 [0]
Given Kudos: 65
Send PM
Re: Studies in elementary schools have shown that introverted children act [#permalink]
Skywalker18 wrote:
Studies in elementary schools have shown that introverted children actually crave attention, but are scared of it beyond a certain level. To effectively address this aspect of the problem, some child psychologists advise that elementary school teachers apply the “touch and go” approach to compliment introverted children; for example: bring up the achievement of such a student in front of the class, but do not give enough time to the student’s classmates to especially acknowledge the student’s presence.

In gauging the effectiveness of the “touch and go” method, as prescribed by the psychologists, which one of the following considerations needs to be evaluated?

A.Whether besides the “touch and go” method there is a more effective method to address the special needs of an introverted student
Irrelevant. The argument focused on the “touch and go” method rather than other alternative methods.

B. Whether introverted children crave attention of their teachers and their classmates alike
This choice can't evaluate the effectiveness of the “touch and go” method

C. Whether introverted elementary school children are aware of their introverted nature
Even if these childrean are aware of their introverted nature, we can't evaluate the effectiveness of the “touch and go” method.

D. Whether the parents of an introverted student will appreciate the use of such methods in schools
Irrelevant. This choice can't help us evaluate the method.

E. Whether because of the teacher’s praise, the classmates of the introverted student are likely to approach the student more frequently, showering the student with extra attention
Correct. If the teacher brings up the achievement of these students, they could be exposed to extra attention of the classmates. If this attention exceeds a certain level, there could be some negative effect on the introverted students. As the result, the “touch and go” method will fail.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1780 [0]
Given Kudos: 2562
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
Re: Studies in elementary schools have shown that introverted children act [#permalink]
this question is kind of benign, ones can pick E quickly because of the argument structures, and the logic flow in the passage.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
Send PM
Can someone explain how you eliminated B?
I like jy295 reasoning above but would like to further see if we could spot any more reasons for eliminating B.
I understand that E is the stronger choice...still how not B?
VP
VP
Send PM
sevenplusplus wrote:
Can someone explain how you eliminated B?
I like jy295 reasoning above but would like to further see if we could spot any more reasons for eliminating B.
I understand that E is the stronger choice...still how not B?

you can interpret B as a comparison between 2 types of craving attention
the question asks to evaluate the method with its purpose to measure the craving attention => we just need to know 2 thing:
1/ if the method works
2/ we will not pay attention to any other information about types of craving attention.
VP
VP
Send PM
I have tried, and verified that question stems are rarely helpful.
VP
VP
Send PM
E is correct b/c E has the causal relationship and b/c the "touch-and-go" method is not used to differentiate attentions for teacher or for other classmates.
VP
VP
Send PM
broall wrote:
Skywalker18 wrote:
Studies in elementary schools have shown that introverted children actually crave attention, but are scared of it beyond a certain level. To effectively address this aspect of the problem, some child psychologists advise that elementary school teachers apply the “touch and go” approach to compliment introverted children; for example: bring up the achievement of such a student in front of the class, but do not give enough time to the student’s classmates to especially acknowledge the student’s presence.

In gauging the effectiveness of the “touch and go” method, as prescribed by the psychologists, which one of the following considerations needs to be evaluated?

A.Whether besides the “touch and go” method there is a more effective method to address the special needs of an introverted student
Irrelevant. The argument focused on the “touch and go” method rather than other alternative methods.

B. Whether introverted children crave attention of their teachers and their classmates alike
This choice can't evaluate the effectiveness of the “touch and go” method

C. Whether introverted elementary school children are aware of their introverted nature
Even if these childrean are aware of their introverted nature, we can't evaluate the effectiveness of the “touch and go” method.

D. Whether the parents of an introverted student will appreciate the use of such methods in schools
Irrelevant. This choice can't help us evaluate the method.

E. Whether because of the teacher’s praise, the classmates of the introverted student are likely to approach the student more frequently, showering the student with extra attention
Correct. If the teacher brings up the achievement of these students, they could be exposed to extra attention of the classmates. If this attention exceeds a certain level, there could be some negative effect on the introverted students. As the result, the “touch and go” method will fail.

what is the source of this question?
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts