Last visit was: 07 May 2024, 01:40 It is currently 07 May 2024, 01:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 258 [50]
Given Kudos: 1023
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 258 [15]
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 258 [0]
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5432 [1]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Re: Substantive clauses - What caused the $100 million museum's approval a [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
manishtank1988 wrote:
Can anyone/you elaborate as to why C is wrong?
I see it as following -
The thing [that caused the $100 million museum's approval and construction to take 12 years] was a combination of the complexity of the financing requirements and the opposition of several small but vocal constituencies.
Main clause - The thing [that caused the $100 million museum's approval and construction to take 12 years] was a combination of the complexity of the financing requirements and the opposition of several small but vocal constituencies.

I understand that this is a substantive clause starting with relative pronoun "what" but i got this question wrong as i only realized it when i saw the answer and explanation. So can anyone please elaborate as to why to choose A compared to C
OR
how to understand as to when A (substantive clause) to use and when to use C(normal construction) ?
Helpful resource: Magoosh Substantive clause - https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/substanti ... -the-gmat/

Hi manishtank1988 ,

The only reason I rejected C is that it says "The thing was a combination".

Meaning wise it is wrong. Combination cannot be a thing. Hence, C is 100% incorrect.

A is using the phrase "what caused something was a combination of X and Y".

Hence, A is correct.

Does that make sense?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 258 [1]
Send PM
Re: Substantive clauses - What caused the $100 million museum's approval a [#permalink]
abhimahna wrote:
manishtank1988 wrote:
Can anyone/you elaborate as to why C is wrong?
I see it as following -
The thing [that caused the $100 million museum's approval and construction to take 12 years] was a combination of the complexity of the financing requirements and the opposition of several small but vocal constituencies.
Main clause - The thing [that caused the $100 million museum's approval and construction to take 12 years] was a combination of the complexity of the financing requirements and the opposition of several small but vocal constituencies.

I understand that this is a substantive clause starting with relative pronoun "what" but i got this question wrong as i only realized it when i saw the answer and explanation. So can anyone please elaborate as to why to choose A compared to C
OR
how to understand as to when A (substantive clause) to use and when to use C(normal construction) ?
Helpful resource: Magoosh Substantive clause - https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/substanti ... -the-gmat/

Hi manishtank1988 ,

The only reason I rejected C is that it says "The thing was a combination".

Meaning wise it is wrong. Combination cannot be a thing. Hence, C is 100% incorrect.

A is using the phrase "what caused something was a combination of X and Y".

Hence, A is correct.

Does that make sense?

First of all thanks a lot abhimahna for an immediate response - i really appreciate it.
Secondly, i do see that Combination cannot be a thing sounds extremely awkward; however, why can't a "combination" (abstract noun) can't be a "thing" (common noun).
Finally, i would add that i sort of see the point here but i am asking above question just for my clarity.
Thanks a lot for immediate response.
Happy learning :thumbup:
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5432 [2]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
manishtank1988 wrote:

First of all thanks a lot abhimahna for an immediate response - i really appreciate it.
Secondly, i do see that Combination cannot be a thing sounds extremely awkward; however, why can't a "combination" (abstract noun) can't be a "thing" (common noun).
Finally, i would add that i sort of see the point here but i am asking above question just for my clarity.

Hi manishtank1988 ,

Well, I donot prefer awkwardness as a reason to reject any option unless I don't have any other option.

As per English usage, a thing should be something physical while "a combination" is not any objector physically existing item. The word combination suggests we are combining two things rather than the two things themselves.

Hence, C is incorrect.

Does that make sense?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 258 [0]
Send PM
abhimahna wrote:
manishtank1988 wrote:

Hi manishtank1988 ,

Well, I donot prefer awkwardness as a reason to reject any option unless I don't have any other option.

As per English usage, a thing should be something physical while "a combination" is not any objector physically existing item. The word combination suggests we are combining two things rather than the two things themselves.

Hence, C is incorrect.

Does that make sense?

Absolutely, thanks a lot abhimahna.
:thumbup:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
To me, A and C looked grammatically correct (abstract, yeah yeah... I get it now). BUUUUUUT I chose A for a different reason. C just sounded wordier. That's all.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [0]
Given Kudos: 158
Concentration: Healthcare, Operations
Schools: Ross '20
GMAT 1: 590 Q35 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE:Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Send PM
manishtank1988 wrote:
What caused the $100 million museum's approval and construction to take 12 years was a combination of the complexity of the financing requirements and the opposition of several small but vocal constituencies.
A)What caused
B)What has caused
C)The thing that caused
D)That which caused
E)Causing

As has already been posted by abhimahna I guess it would again be a repetition. however I felt I had to voice my reason for choosing A.
Thing by definition is
1. an object that one need not, cannot, or does not wish to give a specific name to.
Ex: "look at that metal rail thing over there"
synonyms: object, article, item, artefact, commodity; More

2. an inanimate material object as distinct from a living sentient being.
"I'm not a thing, not a work of art to be cherished"

The meanings of 'thing' precisely rule out its usage in the present context because "combination" "complexity of financing requirement" and "opposition of several small but vocal constituencies" do not fit into any of the definitions of 'thing'.

This I believe constitutes reason enough to rule out C as an option.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [1]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V30
GPA: 3.32
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM