Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 07:25 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 07:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 969 [0]
Given Kudos: 199
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 507 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
Concentration: Nonprofit, Social Entrepreneurship
WE:Education (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Re: Increase my gmat score. [#permalink]
vcr7 wrote:
I gave my GMAT exam on 25th of Sep 2017 and scored 590 with breakup of Q-42 & V-30. This was my 2nd attempt.
In my 1st attempt I scored 620. I m confused why this happened.
Need suggestions to increase my verbal and quant score.
Any suggestions regarding the same will be highly appreciated.

Sent from my Hol-U19 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

You might not have :
  • Focussed solely on the official questions
  • Solved questions under timned conditions
  • Taken enough mocks in exam environments..
You might not have a good hang of concepts. Once you get to know your weak areas, you should focus on strengthening on building your basics. Once you are done with that, start solving the questions ( only official questions). Do official guide twice and when you are doing it for the second time take it under timed conditions.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
Send PM
Hey vcr7

First, don't sweat it. I (and many others) have gone through this phase. I've risen from the lows of 580!

You just need to develop a specific approach for each question type. For example, say, when you're attempting a SC question, you should train yourself to identify the problem areas step by step - identifying if it's a subject-verb disagreement or a parallelism problem etc. and then attacking the question accordingly. Do this consciously and it WILL show results. No doubt, this comes with a lot of practice!! I solved tons of questions, apart from the official guide and mocks to check my progress. I have some really cool material that I found online (esp for verbal, which was my weak area). If you want, I can share the material with you, PM me you're email.
And during this process, focus only on accuracy.

Once you're able to develop the specific approach, attempting all questions in the exam becomes key. Were you able to complete all questions in the actual test? This is critical because it makes a lot of difference in your score.

In all, I must have given 20-25 mocks before attempting my GMAT and spent about 3 months; roughly 2 months on getting the right approach and 1 month on speed.

And as someone mentioned above, both your scores indicate a similar level of performance, don't take any other way.

Ping me if you need any help.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
GPA: 2.8
Send PM
Look forward to such material. Please send the same at rastogi.anukool@gmail.com

Sent from my XT1225 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Hi,
That was very enthralling to know.
If you can share those materials on vaibhavanant@outlook.com too will really appreciate.
Thanks

Sent from my SM-G610F using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [1]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
Bookmarks
[quote="vcr7"]I gave my GMAT exam on 25th of Sep 2017 and scored 590 with breakup of Q-42 & V-30. This was my 2nd attempt.

One simple suggestion would be to get your extended scoring report, it will give you some idea regarding the pattern of mistakes you are doing. Secondly did you have
a error log and you used it before your exam?

Regards
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
sriramiitr wrote:
Hey vcr7

First, don't sweat it. I (and many others) have gone through this phase. I've risen from the lows of 580!

You just need to develop a specific approach for each question type. For example, say, when you're attempting a SC question, you should train yourself to identify the problem areas step by step - identifying if it's a subject-verb disagreement or a parallelism problem etc. and then attacking the question accordingly. Do this consciously and it WILL show results. No doubt, this comes with a lot of practice!! I solved tons of questions, apart from the official guide and mocks to check my progress. I have some really cool material that I found online (esp for verbal, which was my weak area). If you want, I can share the material with you, PM me you're email.

Once you're able to develop the specific approach, attempting all questions in the exam becomes key. Were you able to complete all questions in the actual test? This is critical because it makes a lot of difference in your score.

In all, I must have given 20-25 mocks before attempting my GMAT and spent about 3 months; roughly 2 months on getting the right approach and 1 month on speed.

And as someone mentioned above, both your scores indicate a similar level of performance, don't take any other way.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
BrunildaHoxhalli wrote:
sriramiitr wrote:
Hey vcr7

One important point is that hope you are writing sectionals daily,one pattern that i have observed with students who get more than 700 is they are in habit of writing sectionals. Secondly in sectionals you need to manage your sequence which you will be having in the real GMAT exam as well
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi,
can you please share the material with me too..?
stuti_mittal@yahoo.in

Rgds
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32974 [0]
Given Kudos: 5780
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Expert Reply
vcr7 wrote:
I gave my GMAT exam on 25th of Sep 2017 and scored 590 with breakup of Q-42 & V-30. This was my 2nd attempt.

Hi

Best Books

1. Manhattan GMAT Quant Guides
2. Manhattan GMAT Verbal guides
or
Aristotle Verbal Guide for CR critical reasoning bible is best book with 300+ pages of comprehensive Data

Strategies

Start with Quant, learn the concepts tested on GMAT. After learning, practice your learned section with timed practice. You can also take quizzes to meet the pace of GMAT. 1 Month for learning concepts and 15 days of practice and same with the verbal. When completed all the concepts learning and handsome practice. Take full lenght CATs, know your estimated score. Analyze the result with Correct/incorrect questions, pacing analysis trace your mistakes and learn from them, make an error log to know your mistakes in the previously attempted questions

Best Mocks

1. Official GMAC (50+50$)
2. Manhattan GMAT (49$)

Good Luck
Cheers :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2853 [1]
Given Kudos: 144
WE:General Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos
vcr7 wrote:

Hi vcr7,

Kindly do not be disheartened as GMAT is all about high commitment. It’s a good thing you have taken your exam. You can now know your weaknesses and work on them. If you are willing to study dedicatedly for that period, you are sure to achieve your goal. I believe you may benefit from taking a GMATPREP course as you may be a bit weak with your concepts. If you are willing, there are some great GMAT prep companies that can help you with your preparation.

In order to make an informed decision I would highly encourage you to go to their websites and try on their free trial and decide for yourself which one do you like better. You try out free access to EmpowerGMAT, Magoosh and Optimus Prep as they have great reviews on GMATCLUB.

Also for verbal, I would highly encourage you to consider e-gmat verbal online or the e-gmat verbal live course. They are both amazing courses especially designed for non-natives. They offer almost 25% of their courses for free so you can try out their free trial to decide which one you want to go for. Plus the e-gmat Scholaranium which is included in both the courses is one of the best verbal practice tools in the market.

You can also try out the MGMAT guides they are phenomenal and cover the entire syllabus really well. I must add that if you are particularly looking to discover and improve on your weak areas in quant; a subscription to GMATCLUB tests is the best way to do that. They are indeed phenomenal and will not only pinpoint your weak areas but also help you improve on them. Further taking multiple mocks might help. Apart from the GMATPREP, Manhattan GMAT tests and Veritas Prep Tests in my experience have a good verbal and Quant section and will certainly help you point out and improve your weak areas.

Further another advantage of taking many mocks is to build up your stamina. Apart from the GMATPREP tests, taking practise tests of any major GMATPREP company ought to do that.

Lastly I would also encourage you to purchase the latest version of OG and the verbal review and GMATPREP QP1 for some great additional practice. Here is a link that will help you with your decision.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/best-gmat-ve ... 68383.html

Hope this helps. All the best.
GMAT Club Bot