Last visit was: 06 May 2024, 02:33 It is currently 06 May 2024, 02:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [6]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V45
GMAT 2: 770 Q50 V45
GRE 1: Q168 V170
GPA: 3.59
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 111 [0]
Given Kudos: 421
GMAT 1: 620 Q44 V32
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 3: 660 Q42 V39
GPA: 3.48
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [2]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 111 [0]
Given Kudos: 421
GMAT 1: 620 Q44 V32
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 3: 660 Q42 V39
GPA: 3.48
Send PM
From 620 on a practice test to 750 to 770 (EDIT: Now with ESRs) [#permalink]
XTOL wrote:
Heseraj wrote:
Wow,
Really impressive. It seems you have no limit and can apply to any school as you wish.
In the meantime, it seems that you also had some rough time with Manhattan Test. I gave all six of them and my score fluctuated between 600 to 680. But in the final exam, taken Sept 9, i couldn't managed my Quant section well and ended up with a score of 660.
It is so nice and easy when one has the foundation and only needs to fine tune his/her skills for the exam.
I unfortunately had to start from ground "Zero" while my country has the lowest GMAT average and work up my way toward higher 600 and hopefully 700 and higher. I am very optimistic about that day.
And by the way, i served in Afghan Border Protection Force from Jan/Feb 2004 to July 2008.

Thanks for the kind words! Really seems like your most recent test was an aberration on your quant score, and I'm sure your goal of 700 is just within reach.

Also, on my tour in Afghanistan we used to partner with the Afghan Border Patrol in Jalalabad for training. Really hoping that this administration and GIROA can come up with a plan for long term US commitment to Afghanistan that works for both countries and brings long term peace and prosperity. I know a lot of US citizens have grown cynical and weary of the conflict in Afghanistan, but I know from first hand experience that Afghanistan has a lot of great people who are committed to bringing stability and a better way of life to their country. I would hate for the sacrifices of both Americans and Afghans to be all for naught.

Well,
Thank you very much. Wonder when were you stationed in Afghanistan? I'd been there more than ten times and had gone to Torkham BCP, Achin and Gushta a couple of times.
Anyway, I am doing my best to reach the 700 mark and apply basically to my top schools three of which are in your list of schools, the other three being MIT, Wharton and Columbia.
I attended two diversity events, one in HBS and one in Stanford during Sept, trying to network and perhaps explain the hardship i endured to get to this stage and market where i want to end up. So far, i found GSB more receptive of nontraditional applicants such as me.

At the end, I don't know if i ask for your contact it would be too much? Who knows we might end up in the same school.

All the best for the application season.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Given Kudos: 56
Send PM
Re: From 620 on a practice test to 750 to 770 (EDIT: Now with ESRs) [#permalink]
Kudos
Congrats on the great score. It looks like your verbal was strong from the get-go. Do you have any advice on how to move from a 39-40 V to mid-40s?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [3]
Send PM
Re: From 620 on a practice test to 750 to 770 (EDIT: Now with ESRs) [#permalink]
Kudos
Raffio wrote:
Congrats on the great score. It looks like your verbal was strong from the get-go. Do you have any advice on how to move from a 39-40 V to mid-40s?

My go to study aides for the Verbal Section were Power Score's trilogy of GMAT Bibles (one each for Sentence Correction, Critical Reasoning, and Reading Comprehnsion), Manhattan Prep's Sentence Correction guide (especially the idiom list), and the Official Guide + Official Guide questions posted on GMAT Club. For each of the books I studied, I took detailed notes and actively applied the methods contained in them on un-timed questions until it became second nature. For example, in Power Score's Reading Comprehension Bible, the VIEWSTAMP methodology is introduced which asks readers to consider the VIEWs, Structure, Tone, Attitudes, and Main Point of each passage while working on the GMAT. I began applying this technique not only to official questions, but also while reading articles from websites like Scientific American, The Atlantic, and Business Week. Eventually it became more or less habitual.

I also copied down, by hand, every single idiom in Manhattan Prep's SC book in order to make a stronger impression in my memory. If I started to get bored or tired while doing this I would set it aside for later or for another day instead of rushing through it to get it done.

Finally, do a large volume of Official Guide questions and review your mistakes each time until you understand exactly why you were wrong (i.e. what made all of the other answers wrong AND what made the correct answer right). Maintain an error log and make it a part of your study routine to return to problems that you got wrong and try them again once enough time has passed.

Best of luck to you in your own studies!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37392 posts