Last visit was: 06 May 2024, 13:54 It is currently 06 May 2024, 13:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 621698 [1]
Given Kudos: 81767
Send PM
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32310 [4]
Given Kudos: 301
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 184 [0]
Given Kudos: 285
Concentration: Marketing, Social Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.65
WE:Marketing (Education)
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 65134 [1]
Given Kudos: 431
Send PM
Re: If x is a number satisfying 2 < x < 3 and y is a number satisfying 7 < [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:
If x is a number satisfying 2 < x < 3 and y is a number satisfying 7 < y < 8, which of the following expressions will have the largest value?

A. \(x^2y\)

B. \(xy^2\)

C. 5xy

D. \(\frac{4x^2y}{3}\)

E. \(\frac{x^2}{y}\)

To get the largest product, each variable that is multiplied should be largest and the one that divides should be smallest. The largest value x can take is slightly less than 3 and the largest value that y can take is slightly less than 8

A. \(x^2y\)

The largest value of this is about 3*3*8

B. \(xy^2\)

The largest value of this is about 3*8*8

C. 5xy

The largest value of this is about 5*3*8

D. \(\frac{4x^2y}{3}\)

The largest value of this is about 4*3*3*8/3 = 4*3*8

E. \(\frac{x^2}{y}\)

The largest value of this is about 3*3/7

A simple comparison shows that (B) is the greatest.
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35529 [0]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
If x is a number satisfying 2 < x < 3 and y is a number satisfying 7 < [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:
If x is a number satisfying 2 < x < 3 and y is a number satisfying 7 < y < 8, which of the following expressions will have the largest value?

A. \(x^2y\)

B. \(xy^2\)

C. 5xy

D. \(\frac{4x^2y}{3}\)

E. \(\frac{x^2}{y}\)

You can plug in values. There are three choices:

1) mixed (improper) fractions, e.g. for x, \(\frac{5}{2}\);

2) decimals, e.g. for x, 2.5 (IMO easier than fractions); or

3) whole numbers, by far the easiest choice. This choice violates the stated conditions.

But all the operations in the answer choices involve multiplication and/or division.

In such cases, whole numbers and improper fractions greater than one all behave the same way (e.g., when squared, their value is greater).

Pick x and y values both on the high end or low end. (It might not matter, but it's safer.)

Let x = 2
Let y = 7

A. \(x^2y = (4 * 7) = 28\)

B. \(xy^2 = (2 * 49) = 98\)

C. \(5xy = (5)(14) = 70\)

D. \(\frac{4x^2y}{3} =\\
\frac{(4)(4)(7)}{3}\) = 37 + a little

E. \(\frac{x^2}{y} =\\
\frac{4}{7}\)

These answers are not close. The greatest value is

Answer B

II. Decimal values - in case there's doubt: answers for x = 2.1, y = 7.1

A. \(x^2y\) = 28 + a little

B. \(xy^2\) = 100 + a little

C. 5xy = about 75

D. \(\frac{4x^2y}{3}\) = = a little less than 40

E. \(\frac{x^2}{y}\)= about \(\frac{4}{7}\)

The whole numbers and the decimals behaved exactly the same way. These numbers are not close either.

Answer B
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22146 [1]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
If x is a number satisfying 2 < x < 3 and y is a number satisfying 7 < [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:

A. \(x^2y\)

B. \(xy^2\)

C. 5xy

D. \(\frac{4x^2y}{3}\)

E. \(\frac{x^2}{y}\)

First, notice that y is greater than x, and y^2 is significantly greater than x^2. This observation allows us to immediately suspect that B is the correct answer because it is the only choice that contains y^2. We can immediately rule out choices A, C, and E without doing any calculations because each of them contains the relatively small value of x^2, and none of them contain the large value y^2.

Let’s consider choice D, which multiplies the relatively small value of (x^2)(y) by 4/3, which makes it larger. But multiplication by 4/3 is not enough to make (x^2)(y)(4/3) greater than choice B.

Answer: B
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Technology
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V33
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
WE:Research (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Re: If x is a number satisfying 2 < x < 3 and y is a number satisfying 7 < [#permalink]
I got B, but perhaps I was totally inefficient which might be a cause for my propensity to make lots of stupid mistakes.
-Even though x cannot equal 3 and y cannot equal 8, they can be infinitely close to each number. So I used the outer bounds of each range and plugged them into each number. B produced the largest result.
-For A, I got 72.
-For B, I got 192.
-For C, I got 120
-For D, I got 96,
-E, I didn't calculate because it's some small fraction.

-This problem could have been made a lot harder with the inclusion of negatives as we would have to determine whether certain exponents produce a negative or positive.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 827 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
93058 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts