Last visit was: 19 May 2024, 03:45 It is currently 19 May 2024, 03:45
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 229
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT Date: 07-23-2015
GMAT 1: 580 Q41 V28
GPA: 3.8
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 229
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT Date: 07-23-2015
GMAT 1: 580 Q41 V28
GPA: 3.8
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: Alternate stress-free job for GMAT preparation [#permalink]
sdgwap7 wrote:
I have already appeared for SSC exam and the marks have been declared. It is good enough to get me any post I want. I am yet to appear for the Computer Proficiency Test (basic qualifying test) and Document Verification. This will be followed by result declaration. Getting the joining letter, however, will take time (around 8 months from now). At this point of time, my efforts are directed towards preparing for the GMAT and taking the examination towards the end of December this year. If I get a decent score and make it to a good college, the question of joining a government job does not arise. If the scores are not satisfactory and I need to prepare harder, the government job will give me the comfort to prepare for GMAT at my own pace. However, I am worried that shifting from Manufacturing/Operations to Section Officer in some Ministry might ruin my profile.

merajul wrote:
sdgwap7 wrote:
I am a Chemical Engineer having four years experience working in Reliance Industries. Currently, I am involved in commissioning a mammoth petrochemicals plant and the project is nearing its final stages. I have to work in 12 hour shifts (both morning and night shifts, with no certainty of going home from work) and the work here is physically and mentally demanding. When I get home, I find myself totally drained. I find myself short of time and energy to prepare for my GMAT examination.

I am planning to take up a relatively less stressful job with the Government of India, by clearing the SSC CGL exam. This job has minimal workload with fixed working hours (8 hours daily and 5 days a week). This would give me plenty of time to easily prepare for GMAT.

Do you think this is a positive step? How will I convince the AdCom regarding the reason why I left my job in petrochemicals and joined the public sector instead?

I guess, you are having a long term plan for GMAT. Nevertheless, in the end only SUCCESS matters.

Apart from this , I woul like to know if you have cleared the Govt Exam already ??? If yes , then go for the Govt Job and lead a good life. In the mean time , increase your professsional qualifications and boost up your profile.

BR,
Merajul

Why do you think, it will ruin your profile ??? If you do not crack GMAT now, you will anyway have diverse experience by the time you apply.

Kudos to you, working 12-13 hrs and then studying for and cracking the Govt job is truly appreciable. At this moment, you don't have to think over profile and most importantly jobs, life worries blah blah. Just focus your goal and you can workout on your profile later.

By the way I have some questions in my mind -

1. What is your target score and b-schools course concentrations.
2. When are you planning to apply for.
3. What is your short term goal, as you are worrying about your profile.

BR,
MI
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Alternate stress-free job for GMAT preparation [#permalink]