Last visit was: 01 May 2024, 16:41 It is currently 01 May 2024, 16:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 665 [9]
Given Kudos: 258
MISSION : 800
WE:Design (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Queens MBA Thread Master
Own Kudos [?]: 379 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Human Resources, General Management
GMAT Date: 08-07-2015
WE:Project Management (Education)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 250 [0]
Given Kudos: 75
GMAT 1: 620 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 630 Q49 V26
GMAT 3: 690 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Re: In contrast to most physicists, who work with other physicists [#permalink]
vishwaprakash wrote:
dpo28 wrote:
Q> In contrast to most physicists, who work with other physicists, use extensive libraries, and cite one another's work generously in their papers, Albert Einstein did his early work alone — no university would hire him — and his groundbreaking 1905 paper on relativity contained no reference to any other physics paper.

A>In contrast to most physicists, who work with other physicists, use extensive libraries, and cite one another's work generously in their papers, Albert Einstein did his early work alone — no university would hire him —

B>In comparison with most physicists, who work with other physicists, use extensive libraries, and cite one another's work generously in their papers, Albert Einstein did his early work alone — no university would hire him —

C>Unlike most physicists, who work with other physicists, use extensive libraries, and cite one another's work generously in their papers, no university would hire Albert Einstein, so he did his early work alone —

D>Unlike most physicists, who work with other physicists, use extensive libraries, and cite one another's work generously in their papers, Albert Einstein's early work was done alone — no university would hire him —

E>Unlike most physicists, who work with other physicists, use extensive libraries, and cite one another's work generously in their papers, Albert Einstein did his early work alone — no university would hire him —

Meaning :
Comparison between "Most physicist" (+ feature of most physicist) and "Albert Einstein" (+ feature of Albert Einstein)

Best of showing contrast,
unlike X,y
In comparison with X, y
Compared to X, y
In each of the above case X is parallel to Y

POE :
A>In contrast to most physicists, who work with other physicists, use extensive libraries, and cite one another's work generously in their papers, Albert Einstein did his early work alone — no university would hire him —
Incorrect - Not standard format to compare.

B>In comparison with most physicists, who work with other physicists, use extensive libraries, and cite one another's work generously in their papers, Albert Einstein did his early work alone — no university would hire him —
Correct comparison Format.
No errors - Keep it aside

C>Unlike most physicists, who work with other physicists, use extensive libraries, and cite one another's work generously in their papers, no university would hire Albert Einstein, so he did his early work alone —
Invalid comparison "most physicists" is compared to "no university"
Incorrect

D>Unlike most physicists, who work with other physicists, use extensive libraries, and cite one another's work generously in their papers, Albert Einstein's early work was done alone — no university would hire him —
Invalid comparison "most physicists" is compared to "Albert Einstein's early work"
Incorrect

E>Unlike most physicists, who work with other physicists, use extensive libraries, and cite one another's work generously in their papers, Albert Einstein did his early work alone — no university would hire him
Correct comparison.

After POE. Option C and Option E are found to be correct.
I will chose Option E, since it is less wordy and concise.

Please explain if anyone has better reasons to eliminate C. I could not find any reason to punish it.

Hi vishwaprakash,
You have eliminated C for correct reason, though the reason you mentioned for A is not correct. A, B and E have proper use of contrasting words. E has been chosen as OA because of the use of "unlike". However, I don't see any deterministic error in A & B.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 826 [0]
Given Kudos: 646
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
ManishKM1 wrote:
vishwaprakash wrote:
dpo28 wrote:
Q> In contrast to most physicists, who work with other physicists, use extensive libraries, and cite one another's work generously in their papers, Albert Einstein did his early work alone — no university would hire him — and his groundbreaking 1905 paper on relativity contained no reference to any other physics paper.

E>Unlike most physicists, who work with other physicists, use extensive libraries, and cite one another's work generously in their papers, Albert Einstein did his early work alone — no university would hire him —

Meaning :
Comparison between "Most physicist" (+ feature of most physicist) and "Albert Einstein" (+ feature of Albert Einstein)

Best of showing contrast,
unlike X,y
In comparison with X, y
Compared to X, y
In each of the above case X is parallel to Y

POE :
Incorrect - Not standard format to compare.

Correct comparison Format.
No errors - Keep it aside

Invalid comparison "most physicists" is compared to "no university"
Incorrect

Invalid comparison "most physicists" is compared to "Albert Einstein's early work"
Incorrect

E>Unlike most physicists, who work with other physicists, use extensive libraries, and cite one another's work generously in their papers, Albert Einstein did his early work alone — no university would hire him
Correct comparison.

After POE. Option C and Option E are found to be correct.
I will chose Option E, since it is less wordy and concise.

Please explain if anyone has better reasons to eliminate C. I could not find any reason to punish it.

Hi vishwaprakash,
You have eliminated C for correct reason, though the reason you mentioned for A is not correct. A, B and E have proper use of contrasting words. E has been chosen as OA because of the use of "unlike". However, I don't see any deterministic error in A & B.

I agree with ManishKM1
As far as GMAT is concerned, I have noticed the usage of 'Unlike' with people, and 'contrast' & 'compare' with features/things/phenomenon.

Originally posted by TaN1213 on 15 Nov 2017, 07:41.
Last edited by TaN1213 on 15 Nov 2017, 08:32, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 250 [0]
Given Kudos: 75
GMAT 1: 620 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 630 Q49 V26
GMAT 3: 690 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Hi GMATNinja,
Request you to take a stab at it.

Regards
Manish
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
Send PM
There is no error in options B and E
Expert advice needed

Sent from my SM-A510F using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 161 [0]
Given Kudos: 420
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
GMAT 1: 500 Q47 V15
GPA: 3.4
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hi ,

Like others, even I am convinced that E is a better answer.
But what could be the better reason to eliminate A & B. Both seems to be correct in terms of usage and structure.

Can anyone help me here?
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7780 [2]
Given Kudos: 56
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
A and B are both wrong because the main action (Einstein did his work alone) is an absolute, so there's no sense in saying "In comparison/contrast with most physicists." Either he worked alone or he didn't. If we said "In comparison with most physicists, Einstein had an excellent sense of humor," that could make sense, because he might have a better sense of humor than other physicists.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: Leadership, International Business
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
Send PM
Hello expert daagh
GMATNinja

Can you please explain why Option A is incorrect
The only diff between A and E is Comparison idiom used.
In both cases, nouns are compared (other physicits and Einstein)
Why is 'In contrast to' wrong here..

A) In contrast to most physicists, who work with other physicists, use extensive libraries, and cite one another's work generously in their papers, Albert Einstein did his early work alone—no university would hire him—

Appreciate your help.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts