Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 22:14 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 22:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Ivy Groupe Admissions Consulting Representative
Status:Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Harvard Business School graduate and MBA admissions expert
Affiliations: Harvard, Princeton
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
VP
VP
Status:Assisting candidates to get admit in to top global business schools
Affiliations: MBA
Own Kudos [?]: 204 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools:HEC, Paris
WE 1: 9 Years
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation for Deferred Admission Student (Stanford / HBS 2+2) [#permalink]
Hey,

You carry a very strong profile with an excellent GPA, but I would suggest you to aim high in GMAT may be 730-740 atleast. Though its not mentioned in the official website but the applicants who tend to apply in your targetted b-schools carry 730+ GMAT.

You have great interns and extra curricular activities, amazed to see your profile and you are an ideal candidate for any top b-school. As suggested earlier, work hard on your GMAT and build an excellent story.While assessing your application, top b-schools looks for candidates who have demonstrated leadership qualities in their professional or personal lives. Leadership qualities don’t necessarily mean leading teams – they could also mean the initiatives you had taken, your achievements, impact-orientation and career progression.

Please feel free to reach us out for any further clarifications or help required.
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation for Deferred Admission Student (Stanford / HBS 2+2) [#permalink]
Expert Reply
kbj2 wrote:
Hi everyone,

As an undergraduate senior, I'm considering applying to deferred admissions MBA programs in 2018, specifically the programs at Stanford and Harvard (2+2). I want to gauge if I even have a chance / does it make sense at this point. I would appreciate any thoughts/advice/recommendations!

Background:
Sex: Female
Race: White

Education:
GPA: 3.75/4.0 (top 10%) from top public U.S. university
GMAT: Estimating 710-730
Language: English, Japanese

Work Experience:
Internship working on pro-bono projects and non-profit research focused on diversity/inclusion at boutique strategy consulting firm.
Summer internship as advisory intern in consulting branch of Big 4 firm. Returning full-time next year.
Full year internship as strategy intern at a mid-level technology consulting firm.

School Experience:
VP of Alumni Relations on student executive board for international business program.
Member of university-wide student advisory council for student seed fund initiative.
Project manager/consultant for university's consulting center focused on consulting businesses in local/underserved communities.
Student of the year award for work with consulting center, recognized for commitment to diversity/inclusion and leadership.
Multiple case competitions wins / selected as one of four international case competition representatives in 2016.
Business school magazine feature as one of the best/brightest undergraduate students.

Study Abroad:
Studied abroad in India on a program centered are female leadership and social entrepreneurship.
Studied abroad in Japan through an intensive language / homestay program.

I intend to apply in April and have been studying for the GMAT for the last month. I'm worried my GPA/GMAT/School won't make me stand out, but I feel strong in the story I have to tell, what I am passionate about, and how I want to use my MBA.

Do you think there is anything key missing? What would help my application? I would really appreciate any insights or advice.

Thank you!

Well, you have a very interesting profile, but the first thing I think you need to ask yourself is: Why do I want to do this now? What do I want to accomplish? Why would they be interested in me?

HBS 2+2 and Stanford deferred is more than just about "Taking on good candidates". The schools want to attract folks to an MBA who for other reasons might not do one, and they want to attract strong people, with clear goals, yet who are visionary. so it has to be more than "it's good for me to go to B-school early" but there has to be real and concrete reasons why you HAVE TO attend at this point in your life.

And I think that will be the core of your story, now when you apply, or even if you don't get in this time, it will help define what you do later.

So I think the best place to start is a bit of introspection, and then discussion with people who know you best. And THEN once you have your own story down pat, then you can see about how to make that story fit the programs.
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 340 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Expert Reply
Thanks for sharing your profile. I think you have a strong profile so don't sell yourself short. Your GMAT will obviously be very important to your candidacy, but if you can score within range and let your story shine through I think you have a chance at these programs
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.95
Send PM
Hey guys, so I am thinking of applying for the Stanford MBA deferred admission (for 2021 or 2022). Would like to know what you think of my chances of getting to the interview stage and getting an offer

I am from Montreal, Canada (23 year old white male)
Undergrad: Non-target US university (Economics & Finance)
GPA: 3.96/4.0 (top 1%)
Masters: Masters in Management at London Business School (LBS)
GMAT: 710 (49Q, 38V, 8IR, 5.0 AWA)
Work Experience: Investment banking analyst (M&A, ECM, DCM) in a top Canadian Bank (will start in July 2018) + working on my own startup (sharing economy, think Uber/Airbnb/Tinder)
Leadership: Captain of my NCAA tennis team in Florida, MVP for 2 years
EC: Professional tennis player for 7 years, ranked 668 in the world (played in over 40 different countries), represented Canada in the Junior Olympics in Singapore
Sponsorship from Adidas and Babolat
Post-MBA Goal: Venture Capital or Private Equity in a top US fund

In my essay, I plan to leverage my tennis experience and discuss everything I have learned from it (leadership, dedication, performing under pressure, time management, problem solving, interpersonal skills).

Any tips would be greatly appreciated, you can PM me :)

Thanks in advance!
Personal MBA Coach Founder
Status:Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Own Kudos [?]: 359 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Send PM
Expert Reply
laurent777 wrote:
Hey guys, so I am thinking of applying for the Stanford MBA deferred admission (for 2021 or 2022). Would like to know what you think of my chances of getting to the interview stage and getting an offer

I am from Montreal, Canada (23 year old white male)
Undergrad: Non-target US university (Economics & Finance)
GPA: 3.96/4.0 (top 1%)
Masters: Masters in Management at London Business School (LBS)
GMAT: 710 (49Q, 38V, 8IR, 5.0 AWA)
Work Experience: Investment banking analyst (M&A, ECM, DCM) in a top Canadian Bank (will start in July 2018) + working on my own startup (sharing economy, think Uber/Airbnb/Tinder)
Leadership: Captain of my NCAA tennis team in Florida, MVP for 2 years
EC: Professional tennis player for 7 years, ranked 668 in the world (played in over 40 different countries), represented Canada in the Junior Olympics in Singapore
Sponsorship from Adidas and Babolat
Post-MBA Goal: Venture Capital or Private Equity in a top US fund

In my essay, I plan to leverage my tennis experience and discuss everything I have learned from it (leadership, dedication, performing under pressure, time management, problem solving, interpersonal skills).

Any tips would be greatly appreciated, you can PM me :)

Thanks in advance!

Thank you for the detailed post. Your tennis background will certainly help, both as a way to demonstrate leadership and also success in general. I would love to know the school you went to. That said the GPA will help a lot. How many times did you take the GMAT?

I will send a PM as requested with more.

Best,
Scott
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Hello guys!

I want to apply for deferred admission in Harvard, Stanford, Yale and other colleges offering it.
Can someone please evaluate my profile for calculating my chances in Harvard/Stanford with a GMAT score of 700-720 (expected).

I have attached my CV.
The one which is not designed and is simple is updated, and the other one is not completely updated but a catchy looking CV.

Kindly go through and let me know my chances of getting into Harvard or Stanford as deferred admission.

Thank You

Attachment:
Navin-resume-updated1.jpg
Navin-resume-updated1.jpg [ 63.38 KiB | Viewed 8200 times ]
Attachment:
Screenshot_20180526-192822_01.jpg
Screenshot_20180526-192822_01.jpg [ 65.3 KiB | Viewed 7946 times ]

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Hey there, I am currently a sophomore (2 yrs more until graduation) and am looking forward to getting enrolled in the Harvard 2+2 program. I would be grateful if you could evaluate my profile and suggest me actions I should take in order to enhance my chances. Thanks!

Race: Indian

University: top engineering college ( selection rate less than 1 percent)
GPA: 8/10
Stream: Chemical Engineering

Internships: business advisor and marketing strategist for a medium scale social organisation that offers support to grass root level entrepreneurs.

Foreign exchange: attended a top design school in USA as a summer exchange student. (only 3 undergrad students selected)

Leadership roles:

Founder and coordinator of the E cell of the institute.
Founder and organizer of an event focused on giving young innovators a platform to show case their work, helping them get more exposure from several organisations and incubation centres. Theme being social innovation.
Core marketing member for the technical fest of the institute
Sponsorship associate for the cultural fest of the institute
Founding member of the competitive automobile building club
Organiser tedx

Projects: a product design projects,where in the product was to be commercially viable, and a system design project focused on evaluation of the current system in place and improving the same.

Some other relevant information:

I am a passionate traveller and have travelled across several States of India to survey the state of the small scale industries present the areas.

The whole journey inspired me to work toward making a social innovation to help those who are exploited, and plan to work on it in the near future.

I have a strong story to tell, as many things I am currently doing have a strong reason behind them, that very well align into a story.
I'm certain I would get a gmat score of more than 720 (based on practice tests).

What are my chances of getting into Harvard 2+2?
Which are the areas where you would suggest I should work on?

Thanks alot!

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Hi,

Actually I have a dream of making it to Harvard2+2 or GSB Deferred MBA. Past 3 years have worked hard on this.
Please evaluate my profile and would be grateful if someone could give me a detailed outline of my strengths and key areas (profile).

Basic Info

Male
Indian
Undergraduate : Symbiosis International University
Degree : BBA -Information Technology
GPA : Sem 1- 7.26, Sem 2-7.54, Sem 3-7.8,Sem 4-7.71, Sem 5- 8.2
Average: 7.70 , in 4 Grade Scale it is - 3.29

Work/Internship Experience

--- Digital Marketer Intern for a Startup for 3 months in Feb 2018 - created an engaging app concept .B2B application.
---Volunteer assistant for Non-profit social Enterprise 2 moths Feb 2018 . - Lead a team of 10 , conducted event of over 150+ delegates and 30 speakers in health sector.
---Sales Head Intern for a Growing online education platform 2 months Aug 2018 .- With a team of 3 had sales of 1 lakh Rs and guiding 80+ students in career.
Promoted to Sales Operations Head Intern of City . - Lead Team of 10 with 60+ students in 1 month
--- Volunteer for Non-profit social Enterprise again at higher post , 3 months Oct 2018 to Dec. This event happened on larger scale in which lead a team of 20 and instrumented the event with 700+ delegates and 120 speakers across 4 Sectors.
--- Volunteer for NGO community which promoted qualities through sports and music for underprivileged kids. 3 months Feb 2019 . Helped 300-500 kids for their matches , music competitions etc.
---Volunteer for a Nasscom event in March 2019 . Resulted in smooth flow of 500+ participants .

Extracurricular Sports

---Zonal Level Boxer 2016-17 Bronze Medallist Under 16
--- District level Cricketer 2012-14 under 12,14
---Zonal level participant in Iken Scietifica
---School level participant in boxing (Silver) , Taekwondo(Bronze) , Athletics , Football,Cricket .

Extracurricular Involvement

---International Cell Head for Undergrad 2019 . Conducted 3 events for international students .Helped and guided them in studies ,culture, for 20-30 International Students.
--- Placement Cell Coordinator for my Undergrad 2019. Coordinated and conducted placements for students with 5 companies.
--- Founder and Head for Clubs in Undergrad 2018 .Conducted 2 events and also lead a team of 10 for various activities for college.
--- Participant in Sponsored Cancer walk(5kms) in which I collected 5k and received a gold medal by school for maximum contribution.
--- Received a award for Gentlemanly qualities in school 2016.

Additional Certifications

--- HarvardX certificate online course Entrepreneurship in Emerging Economies on Edx platform
--- Nanodegree in Digital Marketing Udacity
--- Google certificate in Digital Marketing
--- Business Blogging , Content Marketing Certificate on Hubspot Academy .

Projects

---Missing Faces
A project in which my team of 10 with a mentors (College professor, Entrepreneur, Coder) are making an app for children who are lost . This also connects entities I.E Parents, Police and NGO's . Had successful meeting with City police , Ngos . App currently under-development.

---GovConnect
Supported by The Governor of Union Territory and one of the most Influential Women in India. Creating an app for connecting all the governors across country and also establishing security and making user friendly app.

---------------------------

I am planning to give my Gmat in this month . Have scored 720 in my mock tests .
I believe I have a strong story to tell.

Career Goals : I want to contribute towards soceity development and also have a passion to grow in the field of Entrepreneurship and marketing .

Please do guide me ...
Looking forward !!!!!!!!!!!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
I want to know my chances of getting into HBS and GSB Deferred MBA

Academic grades: Score in 10th is 88%, 12th std grade= 90%. Graduating from Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies (NMIMS) Bachelors of Business Administration program with a CGPA of 3.8/4. My UG university is ranked in top 10 for this field.Pursuing Chartered Institute of Management Accountant (CIMA UK).

Internship experience: Data Analyst at a quick-service restaurant. Secured a 2 months internship at PWC for coming summer

Achievements: Winner of State level table tennis tournament and secured All India Rank 1 in multiple CIMA exams. Won various B-plan competition and startup idea competition.

Extra-curriculars: One year experience at an NGO. Member of Entrepreneurship Cell of my college and AISEC club. Published a research paper on Operation Research in a journal with an impact factor of 7.0.

Certification course: Financial Market from Yale University via Coursera. Stock trading Workshop at IIT-B. I have completed a couple of more certification courses in other domains.

Expected GMAT score: 710-730 ( Got 710 in first simulated/ mock test)

I have also worked closely with my brother on a startup which in in B2B domain and have revenues of a $500,000.

Please provide me valuable insights into my profile and areas of improvement

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot