Last visit was: 07 May 2024, 03:09 It is currently 07 May 2024, 03:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

Goizueta vs. Owen

You may select 1 option
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73076 [1]
Given Kudos: 18915
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73076 [0]
Send PM
Goizueta vs. Owen [#permalink]
Expert Reply
It is also a different lifestyle - Atlanta vs. Owen and class profile is likely different even though similar class size. Not sure if you are open to living in both places equally or if you have a preference.

Basically it is better feeling and money at hand at Owen vs. speculation for better networking/proximity in Atlanta. Should your plans change about going to work for an Airline (or there is a downturn with Travel industry, part of Emory's value goes away - something to keep in mind)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V41
GPA: 3.48
Send PM
Re: Goizueta vs. Owen [#permalink]
Kudos
So I am in the exact same boat, admitted to both with nearly identical offers, liked both on my visits to each, and now struggling to make a choice.

While Owen is cheaper, I did all the math and at the end of the program I will only come out 7k more in debt from Emory. Or for a more general perspective, if you have NO financial aid then Goizueta comes out between 8 and 10k more expensive over the course of the whole program. Not a drastic difference in the grand scheme.

I agree with you that I felt more comfortable and at home at Owen and around their students. Part of that was skewed for me though because I have a friend there who showed me around and introduced me to his friends.

With all that being said I am leaning towards Emory because of their jobs report and natural networking in the city which hosts over 20 Fortune 500 companies. Even if there is a downturn in the transportation industry you will have networked through Atlanta and be fine in that area in a host of industries.

Full disclosure: My leanings have a personal connotation though because my wife and I love the city and want to be there long term. We also don’t want to have to worry about doing my internship somewhere else, find a sublease, and pay two rents and not really make money off the internship.

Let me know what you are thinking! It was nice to find a post from someone in the same situation

Posted from my mobile device
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 190 [1]
Given Kudos: 140
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: Owen '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q44 V44
GPA: 3.73
Send PM
Kudos
@MM725 FWIW, both Delta and AA recruit at Owen. What does the cost of attendance look like for you at both programs?

@hackattack I love Vandy and Nashville, and if you want to end up full-time in ATL it is very doable from Owen, but to be perfectly honest, if you are absolutely dead-set on living in Atlanta, IMO Emory is the better move.

Good luck with the decision!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
hackattack - Congratulations! I agree, and am leaning the same way. My partner is contemplating making the move with me and there seem to be more job opportunities and things for him to do in Atlanta. My decision has just been further complicated with a rather unexpected admit to Kenan-Flagler, so I'll be pouring through job reports and rethinking my post-program plans a little more this week.

teleste - I think at the end of the day cost is not a significant factor. I'm more focused on what I can get out of the program in terms of curriculum, participation in campus organizations, and career resources. I want courses that can best prepare me for a position in data analytics, which I think both programs provide, though Goizueta has their marketing analytics concentration. But there was just something about Vandy that made me feel like I could make a bigger impact on campus and really be part of a great, rising program.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
MM725 part of why I'm leaning Emory is for the same reason, my wife is in advertising and job opportunities in Atlanta are a little more plentiful for her than would be in Nashville. Congrats on the UNC admit, that's a great school. Class size is a little bigger and not in as big of a metro area.
I feel the same way with something about Owen feeling like home. The logic based on the proverbial pros/cons list says emory but its still proving a very difficult decision

teleste thanks for the honesty! I appreciate the perspective
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
I know I didn't start this thread but since it was the same school debate for me I just wanted to say that I chose Goizueta! Thanks for the perspectives.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73076 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
hackattack wrote:
I know I didn't start this thread but since it was the same school debate for me I just wanted to say that I chose Goizueta! Thanks for the perspectives.

Thanks for reporting back! Always appreciated!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Thanks for the input everyone. I've also chosen Goizueta!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
I am in the same debate right now...ha. Heavily leaning towards Vandy due to already living in Nashville and owning a house there. Goizueta is still interesting though just because it's numbers are slightly better, and I got in unexpectedly (didn't put a ton of effort into my app as I was focused on Vandy). Curious to hear what other people say about the differences in the two schools. I plan to live in the Southeast long term, maybe even in a smaller city closer to family, so I feel like the Vanderbilt brand carries much more weight than Emory in that respect. That being said, I want to choose the program that is best suited for me curriculum wise. I'm planning to focus on operations (at the moment...)

Thanks in advance for the input. Would love to hear from prospective, current, and past students!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 65
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V41
Send PM
Very similar programs. Although I would put Emory ahead in terms of consulting opportunities. Having said that, I chose Owen for its phenomenal reputation in healthcare. Healthcare consulting opportunities are at par with Emory so in my case I had no added advantage for choosing the latter. Operations opportunities are galore at Owen. A quick analysis of employment report will clear your doubts. And yes, Vandy is often called Harvard of South, so you are right on the brand value part too.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [2]
Schools: Duke '20 (A)
Send PM
Kudos
I applied and visited both programs. I felt the same way about the tight-knit community at Owen, however, I felt that the caliber of students at Goizueta was higher and that the Career Center was stronger. Delta is a partner company at Goizueta, I believe they have a leadership program led by Delta people. Perhaps you will enjoy your 2 years more at Owen, but Goizueta will give you more opportunities to get you into the airlines industry.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1130 posts