Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 23:19 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 23:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10013 [1]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10013 [0]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [2]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools: Duke '20 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.32
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [2]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V40
GPA: 3.16
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Re: Calling all Vanderbilt Owen MBA Applicants: 2018 Intake; Class of 2020 [#permalink]
Kudos
Current first-year here. I'd love to answer any questions that anyone may have. From the application process, life at Owen, and recruiting to living in Nashville and the social aspect of the program, I'm more than happy to talk with prospective applicants.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Calling all Vanderbilt Owen MBA Applicants: 2018 Intake; Class of 2020 [#permalink]
Ramrod2615 wrote:
Current first-year here. I'd love to answer any questions that anyone may have. From the application process, life at Owen, and recruiting to living in Nashville and the social aspect of the program, I'm more than happy to talk with prospective applicants.

Thank you for coming back to this forum after starting int the program. These are my questions:

Just out of curiosity, what are your post mba goals and why did you end up choosing Owen?

How common is to remain in Nashville post mba? what are some of the big recruiters for Nashville?

Have you seen the impact of the new corporate partners that Owen announced this year on recruiting opportunities?

Any idea how much impact working on campus has on the mba experience/recruiting/academics? What are your thoughts on part time jobs available vs students interested in taking these jobs.

What are your thoughts on the caliber of your classmates?

Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [1]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V40
GPA: 3.16
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Kudos
Quote:
Just out of curiosity, what are your post mba goals and why did you end up choosing Owen?

I'll be joining Wells Fargo Securities next summer as an IB summer associate. I chose Owen before this was my career goal however. The small class-size, the placement statistics in a relatively even spread of industries, the percentage of post-MBA careers in the South from previous classes, the prestige of Vanderbilt as a school and the alumni of the MBA program and the location in the heart of Nashville...in addition to a lot of other things. In the end, I went with my gut after coming to an-campus event and meeting all the people here. Hard to quantify but you'll understand once you start interacting with people in the program.

Quote:
How common is to remain in Nashville post mba? what are some of the big recruiters for Nashville?

Honestly not sure on this one, you'd have to check out the Employment Statistics on the business.vanderbilt website. I do know, though, that Nashville is one of the top destinations of summer interns and full-time post MBA careers just based on what I'd researched while applying.

Quote:
Have you seen the impact of the new corporate partners that Owen announced this year on recruiting opportunities?

The only one I've specifically seen was with Deloitte. They held an "Early Connections" event very early in Mod 1. The Corporate Partners have the additional benefit of being able to come to campus for events earlier than those who are not considered a corporate partner. Because we're still in Mod 1, very few (I'd guess less than 10) first-years currently have internship offers and the vast majority are still in the interview process so it's hard to say what impact the partnership plays on actual offers.

Quote:
Any idea how much impact working on campus has on the mba experience/recruiting/academics? What are your thoughts on part time jobs available vs students interested in taking these jobs.

As far as money, a big impact. What I mean is that my classmates who have on-campus jobs tend to have a little extra beer money than the rest of us when the week is over. They do have a position at Owen that's open to first-years where you serve as a corporate ambassador and basically facilitate the recruiting events and square away the recruiters, making sure they have everything they need, for their event. This, I do know, gives people in this position additional one-on-one face time when recruiters come on campus. There are numerous other positions available for employment within Owen in different departments and across Vanderbilt as a whole. The departments at Owen all have flexible scheduling from what I know to ensure that the job doesn't interfere with any academic or career-focused event. There seems to be enough open positions to accommodate everyone seeking employment.

Quote:

Everyone has something to offer. Between class discussions, group work, meetings, etc. I constantly feel like everyone around me is smarter than I am. Everyone I've met is extremely accomplished, driven and will help anyone around them at the drop of a hat. "Collaborative" is an understatement. I can, and have, just plopped down in front of a fellow student and asked for help on an assignment and they've gone out of their way to assist me. There aren't any egos here that prevent everyone from working together. That's just not something this program encourages. The only competition I've seen is friendly and it never leads to anyone getting left behind.

I hope I've provided you a little more insight based on my experience and (limited) time at Owen so far. Let me know if you have any more questions and I'll do my best to answer them. If I don't know the answer, I'll try to point you in the right direction.

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Ramrod2615 wrote:
Quote:

I'll be joining Wells Fargo Securities next summer as an IB summer associate. I chose Owen before this was my career goal however. The small class-size, the placement statistics in a relatively even spread of industries, the percentage of post-MBA careers in the South from previous classes, the prestige of Vanderbilt as a school and the alumni of the MBA program and the location in the heart of Nashville...in addition to a lot of other things. In the end, I went with my gut after coming to an-campus event and meeting all the people here. Hard to quantify but you'll understand once you start interacting with people in the program.

Quote:

Honestly not sure on this one, you'd have to check out the Employment Statistics on the business.vanderbilt website. I do know, though, that Nashville is one of the top destinations of summer interns and full-time post MBA careers just based on what I'd researched while applying.

Quote:

The only one I've specifically seen was with Deloitte. They held an "Early Connections" event very early in Mod 1. The Corporate Partners have the additional benefit of being able to come to campus for events earlier than those who are not considered a corporate partner. Because we're still in Mod 1, very few (I'd guess less than 10) first-years currently have internship offers and the vast majority are still in the interview process so it's hard to say what impact the partnership plays on actual offers.

Quote:

As far as money, a big impact. What I mean is that my classmates who have on-campus jobs tend to have a little extra beer money than the rest of us when the week is over. They do have a position at Owen that's open to first-years where you serve as a corporate ambassador and basically facilitate the recruiting events and square away the recruiters, making sure they have everything they need, for their event. This, I do know, gives people in this position additional one-on-one face time when recruiters come on campus. There are numerous other positions available for employment within Owen in different departments and across Vanderbilt as a whole. The departments at Owen all have flexible scheduling from what I know to ensure that the job doesn't interfere with any academic or career-focused event. There seems to be enough open positions to accommodate everyone seeking employment.

Quote:

Everyone has something to offer. Between class discussions, group work, meetings, etc. I constantly feel like everyone around me is smarter than I am. Everyone I've met is extremely accomplished, driven and will help anyone around them at the drop of a hat. "Collaborative" is an understatement. I can, and have, just plopped down in front of a fellow student and asked for help on an assignment and they've gone out of their way to assist me. There aren't any egos here that prevent everyone from working together. That's just not something this program encourages. The only competition I've seen is friendly and it never leads to anyone getting left behind.

I hope I've provided you a little more insight based on my experience and (limited) time at Owen so far. Let me know if you have any more questions and I'll do my best to answer them. If I don't know the answer, I'll try to point you in the right direction.

Thanks!

Wow congrats of such an early internship offer and good luck on Wells Fargo.

Thank you for the detailed response, it is more than I expected and it helps me to make the right decision about B-school
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 507 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
Concentration: Nonprofit, Social Entrepreneurship
WE:Education (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Ramrod2615 wrote:

First, I would like to thank you for your efforts to help prospective candidates like us. My query is related to the career opportunities for the folks interested in Social Impact.

I would appreciate if you could briefly tell me about the opportunities available when it comes to a Social Impact career at Owen? Can you please name some social impact start-ups in the nearby area?

About me: I am have worked extensively in the educational reform sector (Non profit).My post-MBA goal is to join either the social sector leg of a consulting firm such as the Big 4 or the education reform companies such as Education Pioneers or any other Ed-Tech start-ups.

If possible, can you please connect me to some current students who have similar career aspirations.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hi, I'd like to know how long a decision will take to be posted for Round 1. Do we have to wait until the judgement day? Thanks.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.85
Send PM
After submission my application fee was shown as waived. Anybody encountered the same?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 190 [1]
Given Kudos: 140
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: Owen '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q44 V44
GPA: 3.73
Send PM
Kudos
The Economist now ranks the Vanderbilt MBA program as #23 in the world.

https://www.economist.com/whichmba/full- ... ing?page=2

That puts Owen ahead of Johnson, Kenan-Flagler, Tepper, McCombs, LBS, and others.

:)

Anchor Down!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Schools: Owen '20 (A)
GMAT 1: 670 Q42 V40
GPA: 3.68
Interviewed during a campus visit (no invite needed).

Interviewed on: 2017/10/23
Heard back via: Email
GMAT: 670, Q42, V40
GPA: 3.68
WE: 60 months
Industry: Manufacturing
Submited on: 2017/10/23
Interviewed on: 2017/10/23
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [1]
Given Kudos: 169
Concentration: Finance, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
WE:Analyst (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
teleste wrote:
The Economist now ranks the Vanderbilt MBA program as #23 in the world.

https://www.economist.com/whichmba/full- ... ing?page=2

That puts Owen ahead of Johnson, Kenan-Flagler, Tepper, McCombs, LBS, and others.

:)

Anchor Down!!

As it should be...
Admission Consultant
Affiliations: TheIvyLeagueEdge
Own Kudos [?]: 150 [0]
Given Kudos: 153
TheIvyLeagueEdge: Bala
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Yale (A)
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Operations (Other)
Send PM
Bitten nails in anticipation of an Interview Call..from Owen

Those who received interview invites, care to tell us when did you submit, and when did you receive the interview calls?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Anybody through with the interview process ? Can you please share your experience and the questions ?
Thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.65
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Ramrod2615 wrote:

Can you tell me approximately, how many Indian students are there in a class of 170 odd?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [1]
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V41
WE:Engineering (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Kudos
TheIvyLeagueEdge wrote:
Bitten nails in anticipation of an Interview Call..from Owen

Those who received interview invites, care to tell us when did you submit, and when did you receive the interview calls?

submitted on 23rd and received on 27th
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [1]
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V41
WE:Engineering (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Kudos
jaskiratsareen wrote:
Anybody through with the interview process ? Can you please share your experience and the questions ?
Thanks

very pleasant and conversational interview. Revolved around my past experience and my goals. Focus on why Owen. a few behavioral question were asked such as leadership experience, failure in team setting. There was one curve ball when the interviewer asked me a 60 sec elevator pitch. Rest was all a regular MBA interview experience.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V46
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
vivek6199 wrote:
Ramrod2615 wrote:

First, I would like to thank you for your efforts to help prospective candidates like us. My query is related to the career opportunities for the folks interested in Social Impact.

I would appreciate if you could briefly tell me about the opportunities available when it comes to a Social Impact career at Owen? Can you please name some social impact start-ups in the nearby area?

About me: I am have worked extensively in the educational reform sector (Non profit).My post-MBA goal is to join either the social sector leg of a consulting firm such as the Big 4 or the education reform companies such as Education Pioneers or any other Ed-Tech start-ups.

If possible, can you please connect me to some current students who have similar career aspirations.

There is definitely a presence for social entrepreneurship and social ventures here at Owen. Recruiting for any non-core MBA field is always a bit more individual effort, but there are opportunities. We have alumni at Bridgespan who did recruit this year for full-time, and there is a group of students in my class pursuing a variety of social impact careers. (I'm a 2nd year).

Check out the turner family center, which is a way to get involved right away as a student:

https://turnerfamilycenter.com/

Best,

Brad
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q43 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
If any of you are married with kids or are looking to learn anything more about Nashville/where to live I'd be happy to help you guys out. Ill check back on this forum and then we can link up via email. Good luck to you all.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts