It is currently 20 Sep 2017, 20:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Broad (Michigan) MBA Applicants:(2018 Intake)Class of 2020

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 4

Concentration: Operations
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 2.95
WE: Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Reviews Badge
Calling all Broad (Michigan) MBA Applicants:(2018 Intake)Class of 2020 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2017, 14:00
Welcome all Michigan State MBA applicants! Use this platform to know each-other, build network, exchange ideas/information, discuss application strategies, share interview /school visit experiences, and boost one-another's morale to face the tough admission process.

Michigan State reviews on GMAT Club

Link to GMATClub's Application Tracker: https://gmatclub.com/forum/broad-michig ... acker.html

Michigan Broad MBA Deadlines
Application DeadlineDecisions mailed by
Early RoundOct 1, 17Nov 10, 17
R1Nov 5, 17Dec 15, 17
R2Jan 7, 18Mar 9, 18
R3Mar 4, 18Apr 6, 18
R4Apr 1, 18May 4, 18

Last edited by Narenn on 25 Aug 2017, 02:58, edited 1 time in total.
Deadlines and data tables added

Top Contributor
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 636 [1], given: 20

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: 1540 Q800 V740
Re: Calling all Broad (Michigan) MBA Applicants:(2018 Intake)Class of 2020 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2017, 23:48
This post received
KUDOS
Top Contributor
cxa0897 wrote:
Essay A (required)

Please provide 2 PowerPoint Slides-

Slide 1. should illustrate why Michigan State University’s MBA program should admit you.
Slide 2. should include a writing sample (minimum 350 words).

Is it just me or is this realllyyy vague?

Hi cxa0897

We agree that this is a bit unusual. However, Broad probably took the decision because they wanted a concise expression of applicants' differentiators. The second 'slide' isn't really a slide though - it is simply an open-ended writing sample to see the applicant's capabilities in terms of analytical reasoning, expression, and writing. Treat slide 1 as an opportunity rather than a disadvantage and use the visual medium to the full.

GyanOne | Top MBA Rankings and MBA Admissions Blog

Top MBA Admissions Consulting | Top MiM Admissions Consulting

Premium MBA Essay Review|Best MBA Interview Preparation|Exclusive GMAT coaching

Get a FREE Detailed MBA Profile Evaluation | Call us now +91 98998 31738

Kudos [?]: 636 [1], given: 20

VP
VP
G

Kudos [?]: 261 [0], given: 153

Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Calling all Broad (Michigan) MBA Applicants:(2018 Intake)Class of 2020 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2017, 21:47
cxa0897 wrote:
Essay A (required)

Slide 1. should illustrate why Michigan State University’s MBA program should admit you.

Really very unclear. You need either to contact the adcom with your question (Do not hesitate) or attend any event. If you struggle, you can hire a admission consultant.

Kudos [?]: 261 [0], given: 153

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 3

Concentration: Finance, Statistics
GMAT 1: 710 Q43 V44
GPA: 3.92
WE: Account Management (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2017, 06:23
cxa0897 wrote:
Essay A (required)

I think in a way, MSU intentionally made slide 1 vague in order to see what the applicant would do with it. Considering they get a lot of applications, making it a slide format is one way to allow applicants to really visually make their response stand out, and illustrate their capabilities with Powerpoint at the same time. This also allows you to very concisely point out what sets you apart from other applicants. I essentially picked 4 reasons that made me a good candidate and differentiated me from the crowd, and put those on the slide with supporting information to back each one up. Something I'd recommend thinking about would be what YOU can bring to Broad. Why should they want you amongst their class of 2020?

Another thing to consider is, if you click on the video interview link, you'll see that the first video question is essentially going to ask you to pitch your slide 1 like a presentation (in the 2 minutes). At least, that was my first video interview question (I'm assuming it will be the same for everyone). They tell you this ahead of time once you click on the link as a warning to ensure that you have completed the "essays"/slides before doing the video interview questions.

"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest." - Benjamin Franklin
Feel free to message me with any questions you may have!
MBA Candidate for Fall 2018 entry date.

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
P
Affiliations: GMAT Club

Kudos [?]: 3622 [0], given: 2404

City: Pune
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2017, 03:00
Thanks cxa0897 for creating this topic. Let's make it official discussion thread for the class of 2020. I've added deadlines and data tables in the first post.

Every Wednesday: Meet MBA Experts in Chat Room and Ask Your Most-Pressing MBA Admission Questions to them in a Live Chat.

Must Read Forum Topics Before You Kick Off Your MBA Application

New GMAT Club Decision Tracker - Real Time Decision Updates

Kudos [?]: 3622 [0], given: 2404

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Business College Pavilion Fly Through [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2017, 03:04
FROM Broad (Michigan State) MBA Blog: Business College Pavilion Fly Through
The next chapter for the Eli Broad College of Business is officially underway.

Michigan State UniversityPresident Lou Anna K. Simon recently approved the college’s plans to begin construction on the Business College Pavilion, and construction crews are preparing the college’s current facilities and surroundings for the forthcoming groundbreaking and building activities.

“We are thrilled that this project is underway, and that the Broad College will soon offer our students the learning environment they need to thrive and that they deserve,” said Sanjay Gupta, the Eli and Edythe L. Broad Dean of the Eli Broad College of Business. “We will continue working toward our fundraising goal for the project, but have reached a critical milestone in our ultimate goal of making a tremendous impact on our students and community,” he said.

The formal groundbreaking ceremony is tentatively scheduled for early fall.

Over the last few years, committees comprised of Broad College faculty and staff, MSU Infrastructure Planning and FacilitiesClark Construction, and architectural consultants and designers FTCH and LMN have worked together on project planning to present minimal disruptions. With project completion slated for the fall of 2019, most Broad College students will experience student life in the Pavilion.

View a live time-lapse video feed of the Pavilion progress.

ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

Intern
Intern

2017- 18 Broad College of Business Speakers [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2017, 03:04
FROM Broad (Michigan State) MBA Blog: 2017- 18 Broad College of Business Speakers
The Sylvan T. Warrington Visiting Lectureship in Ethics and Leadership Speaker- Craig Menear (BA,’79, Human Resources); Chairman, CEO and President; The Home Depot, Inc., Atlanta, GA

The Broad College of Business hosts a diverse group of business leaders and guest lecturers who share cases and insights from their careers, connecting students to real-life examples of business concepts they’re studying in the classroom. Broad MBA students get an opportunity to learn about the range of career options available to them and the chance to expand their network through direct interaction with the visiting speakers.

Fall 2017
SPEAKERS

September 21, 2017
Mark Hawkins (BA,’81, SCM), EVP & Chief Financial Officer, Salesforce.com, Inc., San Francisco, CA

September 28, 2017
The Sylvan T. Warrington Visiting Lectureship in Ethics and Leadership- Craig Menear (BA,’79, Human Resources); Chairman, CEO and President; The Home Depot, Inc., Atlanta, GA

October 19, 2017
Omari Bouknight (BA,’99, SCM), Chief Commercial Officer, and Jeff Rynbrandt (MBA,’02, SCM), VP US Sales, CardioFocus Inc., Marlborough, MA

November 2, 2017
TBD

November 16, 2017
Matthew Jennings (MBA, ’88, Marketing); Chairman, CEO and President;  Phillips-Medisize, a Molex Company; Hudson, WI

Spring 2018
SPEAKERS

January 18, 2018
Brian Kesseler (BA,’88, Finance), CEO, Tenneco Inc., Lake Forest, IL

February 1, 2018
Gregory Longstreet (BA, ’92, General Business), CEO & President, CytoSport, Inc., Walnut Creek, CA

February 15, 2018
Timothy Griffith (BA, ’91, Economics), Sr. VP & Chief Financial Officer, Marathon Petroleum Corporation, Findlay, OH

March 15, 2018
TBD

April 12, 2018
Rajiv Gupta, Chairman of the Board of Directors, Delphi Automotive PLC; Member, Board of Directors of HP Inc. and The Vanguard Group, Inc.; Former Chairman and CEO, Rohm and Haas Company, Newtown Square, PA
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

Intern
Intern
B

Concentration: Operations
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 2.95
WE: Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Reviews Badge
Calling all Broad (Michigan) MBA Applicants:(2018 Intake)Class of 2020 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2017, 10:35
EowynPhoenix wrote:
cxa0897 wrote:
Essay A (required)

I think in a way, MSU intentionally made slide 1 vague in order to see what the applicant would do with it. Considering they get a lot of applications, making it a slide format is one way to allow applicants to really visually make their response stand out, and illustrate their capabilities with Powerpoint at the same time. This also allows you to very concisely point out what sets you apart from other applicants. I essentially picked 4 reasons that made me a good candidate and differentiated me from the crowd, and put those on the slide with supporting information to back each one up. Something I'd recommend thinking about would be what YOU can bring to Broad. Why should they want you amongst their class of 2020?

Another thing to consider is, if you click on the video interview link, you'll see that the first video question is essentially going to ask you to pitch your slide 1 like a presentation (in the 2 minutes). At least, that was my first video interview question (I'm assuming it will be the same for everyone). They tell you this ahead of time once you click on the link as a warning to ensure that you have completed the "essays"/slides before doing the video interview questions.

Thanks for the heads-up on the video question. I read the directions that stated to finish the slides first, but had not ventured that far to see how it references back.
I had a similar idea to you, picking 3 or 4 pictures/phrases that showcased what I am passionate about and how they relate to me/leadership/etc.

Did you start the writing sample yet? Did you pick a topic admissions related or just a seperate sample that shows your writing ability? I have a few argumentative pieces I've typed up over the years, but none that are related to my professional career. Not sure if that is out of scope or not.

Intern
Intern
B

Concentration: Finance, Statistics
GMAT 1: 710 Q43 V44
GPA: 3.92
WE: Account Management (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2017, 14:25
For the writing sample, I just used an analytical case study I wrote for a project in my capstone management course in college. I'm thinking this will show my writing abilities while also showing some critical reasoning/business strategy. If you wanted to write something new to use, I'm sure that would also be acceptable.

Posted from my mobile device

"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest." - Benjamin Franklin
Feel free to message me with any questions you may have!
MBA Candidate for Fall 2018 entry date.

Re: Calling all Broad (Michigan) MBA Applicants:(2018 Intake)Class of 2020   [#permalink] 25 Aug 2017, 14:25