Last visit was: 08 Jun 2024, 02:19 It is currently 08 Jun 2024, 02:19
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 33251 [39]
Given Kudos: 4500
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 629967 [3]
Given Kudos: 82183
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: The famous actor, whose last three movies were severely criticized bot [#permalink]
between B and D...will go for B because in D ,"Both" can refer to critics(both the critics) and thus is not clear as well as use of "their" can also refer ro general public and critics in addition to movies. B on the other hand is more clear ,parallel and uses past continuous(had been) and present perfect (have) accurately without any ambiguity.
Stll waiting for experts' reply for more consice explaination

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: The famous actor, whose last three movies were severely criticized bot [#permalink]
[quote="superthapli"]between B and D...will go for B because in D ,"Both" can refer to critics(both the critics) and thus is not clear as well as use of "their" can also refer to general public

Intern
Intern
Send PM
sorry...it should be D..B is not parallel..D is best out of waste

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 89 [3]
Given Kudos: 589
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.3
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
carcass wrote:
The famous actor, whose last three movies were severely criticized both by the critics and the general public for their extremely graphic action scenes, deciding to work in family dramas only.

(A) were severely criticized both by the critics and the general public for their extremely graphic action scenes, deciding
(B) had been severely criticized by both the critics and by the general public for his extremely graphic action scenes, has decided
(C) were subjected to severe criticism by both the critics and the general public for their extremely graphic action scenes, has decided
(D) were severely criticized by both the critics and the general public for their extremely graphic action scenes, decided
(E) had extremely graphic action scenes, has been severely criticized by the critics and by the general public, therefore deciding

A i.e. the original underlined portion is a fragment, without a verb for the subject. Therefore, A is incorrect.

B. Use of Past Perfect Tense is generally suitable when there is a sequence of events in the past. Here, per the intended meaning of the sentence, the author talks about the actor who "has decided" to work in family dramas only i.e. use of Present Perfect tense. Therefore, Past Perfect Tense "had been severely criticised" is incorrect. Eliminate B.

C. It seems verbose at first, but is a grammatically perfect sentence. The use of "has decided" conveys the intended meaning of the sentence. The use of past tense "were subjected" is also correct. Simple Past and Present Perfect Tense usage make complete sense here. Keep C.

D. This is a close shave, but I eliminated it to ensure there was no confusion of tenses, about sequencing of events. Also, the use of simple past tense "decided" does not convey the intended meaning of the sentence. D is close, but incorrect.

E. This option could easily be eliminated because it consists of fragments. Plus, we could not be sure if the criticism is aimed at the actor or at the movie, through this sentence. Eliminate E.

Therefore, C is correct.
Own Kudos [?]: 1983 [3]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
The famous actor, whose last three movies were severely criticized both by the critics and the general public for their extremely graphic action scenes, deciding to work in family dramas only.

(A) were severely criticized both by the critics and the general public for their extremely graphic action scenes, deciding -This is a fragment
(B) had been severely criticized by both the critics and by the general public for his extremely graphic action scenes, has decided -had been is wrong. The criticism didn't happen before the movies
(C) were subjected to severe criticism by both the critics and the general public for their extremely graphic action scenes, has decided -Correct
(D) were severely criticized by both the critics and the general public for their extremely graphic action scenes, decided -we need present perfect to show the continuity of action
(E) had extremely graphic action scenes, has been severely criticized by the critics and by the general public, therefore deciding -nonsensical
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 501 [1]
Given Kudos: 467
WE:Supply Chain Management (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
Bookmarks
Went with C. This can be solved under 1 min. If you notice the Relative Clause.

Whose is modifying the famous actor( giving more information) . The sentence is " The famous actor deciding to work in family dramas only. This is incorrect, so we need " has decided " leaves us with 2 option - B and C

In B we have " by both the critics and by the general public " not parallel. we need both X and Y. Here we have both X and by Y. Incorrect.

C is the best.

Few examples of Relative Clause-

John, whose wife is famous, doesn’t like publicity.

Children who hate chocolate are uncommon ( Here it cannot be "Children who hate chocolate is uncommon"-- because who hate chocolate is just modifying Children)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
GMAT 1: 510 Q46 V17
WE:Web Development (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
carcass wrote:

This question is a part of QOTD Question Collection

(A) were severely criticized both by the critics and the general public for their extremely graphic action scenes, deciding
(B) had been severely criticized by both the critics and by the general public for his extremely graphic action scenes, has decided
(C) were subjected to severe criticism by both the critics and the general public for their extremely graphic action scenes, has decided
(D) were severely criticized by both the critics and the general public for their extremely graphic action scenes, decided
(E) had extremely graphic action scenes, has been severely criticized by the critics and by the general public, therefore deciding

In C and D,
"were subjected to severe criticism" and "were severely criticized"
Do they have same meaning?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 397 [2]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
Kudos
both c and d are correct. simple past and present perfect here are interchangeble. can you prove that d is wrong?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 767 [1]
Given Kudos: 118
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
GPA: 3.82
WE:Consulting (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
(A) This sentence is a fragment because it is missing a main verb such as decided. Since by comes after both, it needs to be repeated before the general public.
(B) The use of the past perfect tense had is incorrect since the sentence does not refer to two past events. Since by comes before both, it does not need to be repeated before
general public. The use of his in his extremely graphic action scenes is incorrect because the graphic scenes are not of the actor but of the movies.
(C) The correct answer. The placement of by is correct and so is the usage of tenses.
(D) The sentence talks about two events—public’s criticism and the actor’s decision—that took place at different time periods. First, the public criticized and then the actor
decided, so the two cannot be in the same time period. This sentence puts both of these in the simple past tense—were and decided.
(E) There is a verb missing at the end of the sentence giving out the actor’s decision. Deciding is a participle; the verb would need to be has decided.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [0]
Given Kudos: 186
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V36
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Why do we need present perfect tense here? Why cannt we say that the actor at that time only decided?
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7808 [3]
Given Kudos: 56
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
nkhl.goyal It's hard to say that the past tense is definitively wrong here, but the issue is not whether the actor has decided over a period of time. In this case, the present perfect implies that the actor has made a decision whose impact extends into the present. The last 3 movies were violent, so clearly the planned family dramas have not been made yet. The present perfect makes it clear that this is a decision that will impact the actor's upcoming work, so it makes a lot of sense. If we went with the simple past, we might expect to see that the actor later changed his mind, or that he has now made several family dramas.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [0]
Given Kudos: 186
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V36
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
DmitryFarber wrote:
nkhl.goyal It's hard to say that the past tense is definitively wrong here, but the issue is not whether the actor has decided over a period of time. In this case, the present perfect implies that the actor has made a decision whose impact extends into the present. The last 3 movies were violent, so clearly the planned family dramas have not been made yet. The present perfect makes it clear that this is a decision that will impact the actor's upcoming work, so it makes a lot of sense. If we went with the simple past, we might expect to see that the actor later changed his mind, or that he has now made several family dramas.

Thanks DmitryFarber, now I understood it completely.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 516
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 680 Q49 V33
Send PM
Hi,
I referred to the posts below, but I couldn't understand why C is the right answer.
Why is D wrong?
Please help me out
:D
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7720 [0]
Given Kudos: 216
Send PM
Top Contributor
GMAT0010 wrote:
Hi,
I referred to the posts below, but I couldn't understand why C is the right answer.
Why is D wrong?
Please help me out
:D

Hi

Let me try to address your query.

Option (D) is a close call and there is no obvious error grammatically speaking. However, there is a gap in the meaning conveyed. Let us plug in option (D) into the sentence:

The famous actor, whose last three movies were severely criticized by both the critics and the general public for their extremely graphic action scenes, decided to work in family dramas only.

As such, the usage of simple past tense "decided" conveys that the action took place in the past. However, option (C) uses present perfect tense "has decided", which says that the effect of the decision continues into the present. This is a more appropriate structure given the context of the sentence.

I do agree that in the absence of option (C), option (D) would not be a bad selection. However, given that we have a better option in (C), option (D) must be eliminated.

Hope this clarifies.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Just wanted to understand point no.1 in Mr. Bunuel's reply to the question.

You have mentioned that
"(A) This sentence is a fragment because it is missing a main verb such as decided. Since by comes after both, it needs to be repeated before the general public."

If we consider that "the critics" and "the general public" to be parallel, why should "by" be mentioned before "the general public". Am I missing any key rule here?

Kindly let me know Bunuel
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 855 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6957 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts