Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 21:15 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 21:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 857 [115]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63669 [18]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63669 [6]

Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63669 [1]

Send PM
Re: In the Wealth of Nations (1776), Scottish economist Adam Smith... [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply

Passage breakdown

In the first paragraph (P1), the author:

• Explains Adam Smith's assertion: that "self-interest dominated the business that emerged in early modern England."
  • Describes a "typical" view based off of this assertion: that business relations eroded cooperation in villages.

In the second paragraph, the author:

• Critiques the "typical" view from P1
  • Concludes that the development of business relations actually created bonds that held villages together.

For more on the process of breaking down RC passages, check out this article and our live RC videos.

Explanations for individual questions

General Discussion
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7627 [18]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Re: In the Wealth of Nations (1776), Scottish economist Adam Smith... [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Top Contributor
let us read the passage -
sentence 1 talks about Adam Smith's assertion that propensity to truck, barter and trade was foundation of commerce and driven by human desire. The 2nd sentence expands on the first by stating that Smith's views have had tremendous impact on how business relations have been perceived.
the 3rd sentence explains the impact - it is typically assumed that business relations discouraged cooperation.
Note the usage of the word 'typically'. It is an indication that the author will disagree with the statement.

Para 2 - Note the usage of the word 'however'. the author disagrees with the last statement in paragraph 1. the rest of the paragraph then expands on this.

The last sentence - 'As a result, buying and selling, far from breaking up communities actually created numerous bonds that held villages together' - is the conclusion.

Question 3.
A - there is no mention of any 'theory of human nature'. the passage criticizes some 'assumptions held on the impact of the development of business relations'.
B - there is no mention of 'modern theories of economic history'.
C - there is no timeline/chronicle. Also, the main idea of the passage is not about the history of the use of credit in business transactions.
D - correct answer. "accepted ideas" = "typically assumed".
E - the second paragraph states exactly the opposite.

Question 1
Let us read the first two sentences.
A - "lend authority to the argument" - the author does not mention any argument besides that of Smith. Nor is the first sentence supporting any argument.
B - no mention of "human relationships". the passage states that the highlighted text is a given quality of human nature.
the passage does not talk about "essential qualities" only about A "given nature"
C - correct answer.
D - "everyday speech" is not mentioned in the first paragraph.
E - Not mentioned in the first paragraph.

Question 2
"however, such a view fails to account for the language that people in early england used to articulate their understanding of business relations".
Only E talks about this.

Learn proven strategies to get an MBA through GMAT in 2018! Join the free 4 part MBA Through GMAT Video Training Series as your signature for the next one week
https://gmat.crackverbal.com/mba-through-gmat-video-2018

Originally posted by CrackverbalGMAT on 02 Nov 2016, 23:06.
Last edited by CrackverbalGMAT on 13 Dec 2017, 01:28, edited 2 times in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [1]
Given Kudos: 103
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Kudos
@Gmatninja, Experts,

Could you please help me decode the answer to question 2.

Why is C incorrect ?

and why is E correct ?
Is E a DOUBLE TRICK answer choice as when i read it i could trace it back to the 1st line of para 2 but i thought that its not referring to the "language used" in literal sense and in figurative sense.

Waiting eagerly for your reply !
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
kunal1608 wrote:

Choice (E) is not a trick answer (and in general, dismissing anything as a "trick answer" or "trick question" is very unlikely to help you develop a deeper understanding of the GMAT).

I hope this helps!

Thankyou

I guess this is one of those “finding the detail” type question.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 120 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
GMATNinja

Thanks for ur explanation!! I am having a problem marking off A.

End of first paragraph states that " development of business relations has caused has weakened the spirit of cooperation......counter to community interest ".

Taking this into consideration the author mentions his views and in the second paragraph (second line) states that "most business transactions were .........villages together".

Do these lines not account for option A.

Could u please give ur perspective on this.

Thanks.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63669 [3]

Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
gmatdemolisher1234 wrote:
GMATNinja

Thanks for ur explanation!! I am having a problem marking off A.

End of first paragraph states that " development of business relations has caused has weakened the spirit of cooperation......counter to community interest ".

Taking this into consideration the author mentions his views and in the second paragraph (second line) states that "most business transactions were .........villages together".

Do these lines not account for option A.

Could u please give ur perspective on this.

Thanks.

This post refers to question #2...

Quote:
(A) The power of business relations to shape moral values and beliefs.

The passage does not suggest that those historians failed to consider the power of business relations to shape moral values and beliefs. In fact, the last sentence of the first paragraph demonstrates that those historians felt that business relations had the power to weaken the spirit of cooperation and encourage of individualism.

In other words, the author and those historians would disagree about how business relations shaped moral values and beliefs but not about whether business relations have the power to shape a moral values and beliefs.

As described in this post, choice (E) is a better answer.

I hope that helps
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1085 [0]
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
Send PM
In the wealth of nations (1776), Scottish economist Adam Smith asserted that the propensity of “truck, barter and exchange” was both the foundation of commerce and a given quality of human nature, driven by individual desire. Smith’s view that self-interest dominated the business that emerged in early modern (sixteenth- and seventeenth century) has had tremendous effects on how such relations have been perceived. Today it is typically assumed, for instance, that the development of business relations weakened the spirit of cooperation that characterized village communities and encouraged a spirit of individualism and self-betterment that ran counter to community interest.

However, such a view fails to account for the language that people in early modern England used to articulate their understanding of business relations, language that stressed credit, trust, obligations, and contracts, rather than self-interest. Throughout this period, most business transactions were conducted on credit – of plain dealing and of the keeping of promises – dominated the way in which business relations were conceived. Individual profit and solvency were important, but neither could be achieved without the trust and direct cooperation of one’s neighbours. As a result, buying and selling, far from breaking up communities, actually created numerous bonds that held villages together.

It can be inferred that the author of the passage believes that economic historians whose views have been influenced by Adam Smith have failed to examine which of the following?
(a) The power of business relations to shape moral values and beliefs
(b) The significance of human nature in shaping economic developments and social structure
(c) The importance of village communities in determining the economic well-being of larger society
(d) The consequence of individual communities of changes in a country’s economic structure
(e) The actual language used to by people in village communities to refer to their business dealings

The passage is primarily concerned with which of the following?
(a) Criticizing a theory of human nature
(b) Evaluating the impact of a particular economist on modern theories of economic history
(c) Chronicling the early history of the use of credit in business relations
(d) Reconsidering accepted ideas about the history of business relations
(e) Explaining the decline of cooperation in village communities

The author of the passage refers to “truck, barter and exchange” in the highlighted text most likely in order to
(a) lend authority to the argument that commerce is characterized by self-interest
(b) identify activities that embody essential qualities of human relationships
(c) indicate the terms Adam Smith used to define business relations
(d) represent the everyday speech used in village communities in England
(e) introduces key terms used in credit transactions in early England
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63669 [3]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
hazelnut wrote:
GMATNinja, Could you help with Question 3?

The passage is primarily concerned with which of the following?

Quote:
(A) Criticizing a theory of human nature

According to Adam Smith, the "truck, barter, and exchange" system was a product of human self-interest. Although the author criticizes this view, the author is not trying to say anything about human nature in general. Maybe people are self-interested in general. Regardless, the author is only concerned with whether the BUSINESS RELATIONS of that time were dominated by self-interest. in other words, the author is primarily concerned with the business relations, not human nature itself. Eliminate (A).

Quote:
(B) Evaluating the impact of a particular economist on modern theories of economic history

The author does mention that Smith's view "has had tremendous effects on how such relations have been perceived." However, is the author's primary intention to examine how Smith's views impacted modern theories of economic history? In other words, is the author trying to answer the question, "How has Adam Smith impacted modern theories of economic history?" Not quite... instead, the author wants us to see how Smith's views have led to misinterpretations. The author is basically saying, "Hey, we've been basing our interpretations of history on Smith's views, but what if those views aren't entirely accurate?" Choice (B) doesn't quite cut it.

Quote:
(C) Chronicling the early history of the use of credit in business relations

The passage mentions the use of credit in business relations, but the passage is NOT primarily concerned with describing the early history of credit in business relations. Eliminate (C).

Quote:
(D) Reconsidering accepted ideas about the history of business relations

As explained for choice (B), most interpretations of the business relations of that time have been significantly influenced by Smith's commonly-accepted views. The author wants us to question Smith's views and thus reexamine the interpretations that were based on those commonly-held ideas. This fits with choice (D).

Quote:
(E) Explaining the decline of cooperation in village communities

The author does criticize the view that buying and selling disrupted cooperation in village communities, but the author does not attempt to explain the decline of that cooperation. Eliminate (E).

(D) is the best answer.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 429
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 640 Q42 V35
GMAT 2: 670 Q48 V34
GMAT 3: 710 Q47 V41
GMAT 4: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
Kudos
I always shoot myself in the foot by over-thinking on RC. Although I managed a 51/51 on critical reasoning and 44/51 on SC, a 23/51 on RC destroyed my verbal score on the real GMAT - ended up getting a 35 on verbal despite scoring high on the other sections.

That being said, question 2 is a good example of silly mistakes I make and I was hoping for some clarification.

It is stated on numerous platforms that inference questions will never restate the answer but rather paraphrase it. Thus I never expected E to be correct because it basically restates the point almost word for word. This is the only reason I went for A. I assumed that since historians ignored the actual language used in business dealings (language that promoted trust rather than self interest) and thus the impact such language had on business dealings, said historians are not crediting the impact business had on moral values and beliefs.

RC is truly frustrating me because it is the only obstacle preventing me from achieving a 700+ and these stupid mistakes stemming from overthinking constantly brings my score down.

Anyways, point of this post is to understand how the correct inference answer is almost an exact restatement from the passage. Thanks in advance.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63669 [5]

Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
yousefalj wrote:
I always shoot myself in the foot by over-thinking on RC. Although I managed a 51/51 on critical reasoning and 44/51 on SC, a 23/51 on RC destroyed my verbal score on the real GMAT - ended up getting a 35 on verbal despite scoring high on the other sections.

That being said, question 2 is a good example of silly mistakes I make and I was hoping for some clarification.

It is stated on numerous platforms that inference questions will never restate the answer but rather paraphrase it. Thus I never expected E to be correct because it basically restates the point almost word for word. This is the only reason I went for A. I assumed that since historians ignored the actual language used in business dealings (language that promoted trust rather than self interest) and thus the impact such language had on business dealings, said historians are not crediting the impact business had on moral values and beliefs.

RC is truly frustrating me because it is the only obstacle preventing me from achieving a 700+ and these stupid mistakes stemming from overthinking constantly brings my score down.

Anyways, point of this post is to understand how the correct inference answer is almost an exact restatement from the passage. Thanks in advance.

So this might sound silly, but it's actually a really common problem on CR and RC: what, exactly, does the word "inference" or "infer" really mean?

By definition, an inference is something that's NOT stated directly in the passage. But if you think about that definition really strictly and literally, it leaves tons of wiggle-room. Sure, sometimes a correct inference is several steps removed from the passage, and maybe you have to walk through several logical steps to go from the EXACT language of the passage to the correct inference. Maybe you had to work pretty hard to draw a conclusion from the facts given, and that conclusion could qualify as an "inference."

But sometimes, an inference can be a fairly simple restatement of something given in the passage. Sometimes, that inference is so obvious that it seems really, really stupid. But as long as the language is slightly different, it qualifies as an inference, and not something that was directly stated. Consider the following:

Passage: Charlie has a gigantic appetite. He enthusiastically eats at least eight sizable meals a day, and spends most of his waking hours eating, cooking, thinking about food, or making friends with chefs.
    Inference: Charlie eats large quantities of food.

Pretty dumb, right? Of course Charlie eats large quantities of food -- he eats at least eight sizable meals a day, and has a gigantic appetite. But the phrase "Charlie eats large quantities of food" wasn't directly stated. This can count as an inference, as dumb as that may sound.

So here's the right way to approach inference questions: find the four answer choices that are LEAST supported by the passage. The remaining answer choice will be correct by default, regardless of whether it's a simple, silly restatement of something in the passage -- or a more involved conclusion that you derived only after several long, sweaty minutes of heavy thinking. (For whatever it's worth, this general approach might sound familiar if you've read our beginner's guides to RC or CR.)

So don't overthink the inferences, and you'll be fine. :-)

I hope this helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
GMATNinja,

Could you please help with Question 1 .
I am struck between Options A and C.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63669 [5]

Send PM
Kudos