Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 14:48 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 14:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: Sub 505 Levelx   Geometryx                        
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619232 [20]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 117 [6]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2287 [2]
Given Kudos: 66
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GMAT 2: 780 Q50 V47
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V45
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 195 [0]
Given Kudos: 197
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V34
GPA: 3.8
WE:Operations (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Re: In the figure above, point D is on AC. What is the degree measure of [#permalink]
The diagram is not clear is 20 the angle measure of ABD or length of BD?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619232 [0]
Send PM
Re: In the figure above, point D is on AC. What is the degree measure of [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Senthil7 wrote:
The diagram is not clear is 20 the angle measure of ABD or length of BD?

Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 195 [0]
Given Kudos: 197
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V34
GPA: 3.8
WE:Operations (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Thanks. Answer is A
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 150 [2]
Given Kudos: 83
WE:Design (Computer Software)
Kudos
IMO A
1).bdc is known
therefore bda=180-bdc
dba=20
so bda+dba+dab=180.
sufficient
2)BCA<BDC
this doesnit give us any information
Insufficient
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 125 [0]
Given Kudos: 231
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:

In the figure above, point D is on AC. What is the degree measure of ∠BAC?

(1) The measure of ∠BDC is 60°
(2) The degree measure of BAC is less than the degree measure of BCD.

Attachment:
2016-06-17_1624.png

Figure appears to be mirror-image. Could you please correct it
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22062 [4]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:

Attachment:
2016-06-17_1624.png

We are given the following diagram:

We need to determine the degree measure of ∠BAC, which is also the degree measure of ∠BAD.

Statement One Alone:

The measure of ∠BDC is 60°.

We can fill the above information into our diagram.

Since ∠ADB and ∠BDC are supplementary, their total degree measurement is equal to 180.

Thus, m∠ADB = 180 – 60 = 120 degrees.

Since we have 2 of the 3 angles in triangle ABD, we can determine the measure of ∠BAC:

m∠BAC = 180 – 120 – 20 = 40 degrees.

Statement one alone is sufficient to answer the question. We can eliminate answer choices B, C, and E.

Alternate solution:

We can see that ∠ADB is an exterior angle of triangle ABD, and it is equal to the sum of the measures of ∠BAD and ∠ABD (recall that the measure of an exterior angle of a triangle is the sum of the measures of the two remote interior angles).

Therefore, m∠BAD = m∠ADB - m∠ABD = 60 - 20 = 40 degrees.

Statement Two Alone:

The degree measure of ∠BAC is less than the degree measure of ∠BCD.

Knowing that the measure of ∠BAC is less than the measure of ∠BCD does not allow us to determine the measure of ∠BAC. Statement two is not sufficient.

Answer: A
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Hi, I have been practicing for the gmat for a while now and never struggled much with a question, but I've spend hours reading the explanation of this question and still don't get it. Maybe there is something wrong in my basic triangle knowledge.

Things that confuse me:
- Is there a difference between ''measure of'' and ''degree measure of'' and what is this difference?
- Is there a difference between m∠ADB and m∠ABD and what is this difference?
- What does the 20 mean? I assumed this was the angle degree of ∠BAD but this does not seem to be the case
-The first option gives ∠BDC is 60 degrees, why is this in the answers placed next to the letter D, and not near B, since it gives the angle of BDC?

I probably make one or more basic trangle calculating mistakes but it would be really nice if someone could explain this to me!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2499 [2]
Given Kudos: 459
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
KoenvZandvoort wrote:
Hi, I have been practicing for the gmat for a while now and never struggled much with a question, but I've spend hours reading the explanation of this question and still don't get it. Maybe there is something wrong in my basic triangle knowledge.

Things that confuse me:
- Is there a difference between ''measure of'' and ''degree measure of'' and what is this difference?
- Is there a difference between m∠ADB and m∠ABD and what is this difference?
- What does the 20 mean? I assumed this was the angle degree of ∠BAD but this does not seem to be the case
-The first option gives ∠BDC is 60 degrees, why is this in the answers placed next to the letter D, and not near B, since it gives the angle of BDC?

I probably make one or more basic trangle calculating mistakes but it would be really nice if someone could explain this to me!

Hello
I will try to answer as per my knowledge

- 'measure of' and 'degree measure of' mean almost same. Although we can measure an angle in 'radians' also than degrees (180 degrees means 'pi' radians), but for GMAT purpose, measure of an angle can be taken to mean 'degree measure of' an angle

- measure of ADB is indeed DIFFERENT from measure of ABD. Its always the alphabet in the middle of which the measure is being spoken about. Eg, in our given figure, '20 degrees' is the measure of angle ABD, and its NOT the measure of angle ADB or angle BAD

- what does 20 mean? I think I have answered this question above

- as I said, angle BDC is the measure of angle D (the alphabet in the middle), its NOT the measure of angle DBC or angle BCD
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Yes, thanks a lot! i always learned to look at the first letter, by looking at the middle its all clear and easy to me. Weird how that differs per country/region. Thanks a lot for the explanation!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [2]
Given Kudos: 49
Send PM
Kudos
Can I say for statement 2, as any other angle is not given hence not sufficient.

Ie to determine a angle we need two angles ..
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Where are the answer options?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619232 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
luckyleo wrote:
Where are the answer options?

This is a data sufficiency question. Options for DS questions are always the same.

The data sufficiency problem consists of a question and two statements, labeled (1) and (2), in which certain data are given. You have to decide whether the data given in the statements are sufficient for answering the question. Using the data given in the statements, plus your knowledge of mathematics and everyday facts (such as the number of days in July or the meaning of the word counterclockwise), you must indicate whether—

A. Statement (1) ALONE is sufficient, but statement (2) alone is not sufficient to answer the question asked.
B. Statement (2) ALONE is sufficient, but statement (1) alone is not sufficient to answer the question asked.
C. BOTH statements (1) and (2) TOGETHER are sufficient to answer the question asked, but NEITHER statement ALONE is sufficient to answer the question asked.
D. EACH statement ALONE is sufficient to answer the question asked.
E. Statements (1) and (2) TOGETHER are NOT sufficient to answer the question asked, and additional data specific to the problem are needed.

I suggest you to go through the following posts:
ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT.
Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread

Hope this helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 85
Schools: IMD '21
Send PM
Hello.

Has anyone noticed that the answer to this question in the Answer Key of the OFFICIAL GUIDE is C !? I'm shocked that the OFFICIAL guide could make such an error. Can anyone explain? This is question number 237 in the official GMAT guide.

Thanks.
INSEAD School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Given Kudos: 945
Send PM
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

Attachment:
2016-06-17_1624.png

We are given the following diagram:

We need to determine the degree measure of ∠BAC, which is also the degree measure of ∠BAD.

Statement One Alone:

The measure of ∠BDC is 60°.

We can fill the above information into our diagram.

Since ∠ADB and ∠BDC are supplementary, their total degree measurement is equal to 180.

Thus, m∠ADB = 180 – 60 = 120 degrees.

Since we have 2 of the 3 angles in triangle ABD, we can determine the measure of ∠BAC:

m∠BAC = 180 – 120 – 20 = 40 degrees.

Statement one alone is sufficient to answer the question. We can eliminate answer choices B, C, and E.

Alternate solution:

We can see that ∠ADB is an exterior angle of triangle ABD, and it is equal to the sum of the measures of ∠BAD and ∠ABD (recall that the measure of an exterior angle of a triangle is the sum of the measures of the two remote interior angles).

Therefore, m∠BAD = m∠ADB - m∠ABD = 60 - 20 = 40 degrees.

Statement Two Alone:

The degree measure of ∠BAC is less than the degree measure of ∠BCD.

Knowing that the measure of ∠BAC is less than the measure of ∠BCD does not allow us to determine the measure of ∠BAC. Statement two is not sufficient.

Answer: A

Hi Scott,

Thank you for the solution.

I just wanted to point out a small typo in the alternate solution for statement 1 where the exterior angle mentioned should be angle BDC instead of angle ADB.

Thanks and Regards,
Udit
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Status:GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator
Own Kudos [?]: 13391 [0]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT: QUANT+DI EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A) ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:

Attachment:
2016-06-17_1624.png

Attachment:
DS17639_f001.jpg

Wanna make solving the Official Questions interesting???

Click here and solve 1000+ Official Questions with Video solutions as Timed Sectional Tests
and Dedicated Data Sufficiency (DS) Course

Answer: Option A

Video solution by GMATinsight

Get TOPICWISE: Concept Videos | Practice Qns 100+ | Official Qns 50+ | 100% Video solution CLICK HERE.
Two MUST join YouTube channels : GMATinsight (1000+ FREE Videos) and GMATclub :)
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92948 posts