GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Jul 2018, 11:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

In the figure above, point D is on AC. What is the degree measure of

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
Math Expert
V
In the figure above, point D is on AC. What is the degree measure of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2016, 05:25
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

85% (00:49) correct 15% (01:16) wrong based on 832 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In the figure above, point D is on AC. What is the degree measure of ∠BAC?

(1) The measure of ∠BDC is 60°
(2) The degree measure of BAC is less than the degree measure of BCD.

Attachment:
2016-06-17_1624.png
2016-06-17_1624.png [ 27.72 KiB | Viewed 9309 times ]

Attachment:
DS17639_f001.jpg
DS17639_f001.jpg [ 8.93 KiB | Viewed 388 times ]

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V34
GPA: 3.8
WE: Operations (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: In the figure above, point D is on AC. What is the degree measure of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2016, 06:05
The diagram is not clear is 20 the angle measure of ABD or length of BD?
Expert Post
Math Expert
V
Re: In the figure above, point D is on AC. What is the degree measure of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2016, 06:07
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V34
GPA: 3.8
WE: Operations (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2016, 06:19
Thanks. Answer is A
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2016, 06:20
Case1 : angle BDC = 60 deg

Angle BDC + Angle BDA = 180 degree ( as points ADC form a straight line )

If angle BDC = 60.
Then angle BDA = 180 - 60 =120

The sum of the angles of triangle ABD = 180 degrees.

Angle BDA + Angle ABD + angle BAD = 180 degree

I.e. 120 + 20 + angle BAD = 180 degree.

Angle BAD = angle BAC = 40 degs

Case 2 : clearly insufficient

Therefore A is the correct answer.

Sent from my SM-G935F using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

KUDOS is great way to help those who have helped you.

THE KILL SET - 700 level Sets quetions

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
B
WE: Design (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2016, 03:52
IMO A
1).bdc is known
therefore bda=180-bdc
dba=20
so bda+dba+dab=180.
sufficient
2)BCA<BDC
this doesnit give us any information
Insufficient

Kaustubh

Director
Director
G
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2016, 14:27
Bunuel wrote:

Attachment:
2016-06-17_1624.png

Figure appears to be mirror-image. Could you please correct it
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Target Test Prep Representative
G
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2016, 10:29
Bunuel wrote:

Attachment:
2016-06-17_1624.png

We are given the following diagram:

We need to determine the degree measure of ∠BAC, which is also the degree measure of ∠BAD.

Statement One Alone:

The measure of ∠BDC is 60°.

We can fill the above information into our diagram.

Since ∠ADB and ∠BDC are supplementary, their total degree measurement is equal to 180.

Thus, m∠ADB = 180 – 60 = 120 degrees.

Since we have 2 of the 3 angles in triangle ABD, we can determine the measure of ∠BAC:

m∠BAC = 180 – 120 – 20 = 40 degrees.

Statement one alone is sufficient to answer the question. We can eliminate answer choices B, C, and E.

Alternate solution:

We can see that ∠ADB is an exterior angle of triangle ABD, and it is equal to the sum of the measures of ∠BAD and ∠ABD (recall that the measure of an exterior angle of a triangle is the sum of the measures of the two remote interior angles).

Therefore, m∠BAD = m∠ADB - m∠ABD = 60 - 20 = 40 degrees.

Statement Two Alone:

The degree measure of ∠BAC is less than the degree measure of ∠BCD.

Knowing that the measure of ∠BAC is less than the measure of ∠BCD does not allow us to determine the measure of ∠BAC. Statement two is not sufficient.

Answer: A

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2018, 15:06
Hi, I have been practicing for the gmat for a while now and never struggled much with a question, but I've spend hours reading the explanation of this question and still don't get it. Maybe there is something wrong in my basic triangle knowledge.

Things that confuse me:
- Is there a difference between ''measure of'' and ''degree measure of'' and what is this difference?
- Is there a difference between m∠ADB and m∠ABD and what is this difference?
- What does the 20 mean? I assumed this was the angle degree of ∠BAD but this does not seem to be the case
-The first option gives ∠BDC is 60 degrees, why is this in the answers placed next to the letter D, and not near B, since it gives the angle of BDC?

I probably make one or more basic trangle calculating mistakes but it would be really nice if someone could explain this to me!
1 KUDOS received
DS Forum Moderator
P
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2018, 21:18
KoenvZandvoort wrote:
Hi, I have been practicing for the gmat for a while now and never struggled much with a question, but I've spend hours reading the explanation of this question and still don't get it. Maybe there is something wrong in my basic triangle knowledge.

Things that confuse me:
- Is there a difference between ''measure of'' and ''degree measure of'' and what is this difference?
- Is there a difference between m∠ADB and m∠ABD and what is this difference?
- What does the 20 mean? I assumed this was the angle degree of ∠BAD but this does not seem to be the case
-The first option gives ∠BDC is 60 degrees, why is this in the answers placed next to the letter D, and not near B, since it gives the angle of BDC?

I probably make one or more basic trangle calculating mistakes but it would be really nice if someone could explain this to me!

Hello
I will try to answer as per my knowledge

- 'measure of' and 'degree measure of' mean almost same. Although we can measure an angle in 'radians' also than degrees (180 degrees means 'pi' radians), but for GMAT purpose, measure of an angle can be taken to mean 'degree measure of' an angle

- measure of ADB is indeed DIFFERENT from measure of ABD. Its always the alphabet in the middle of which the measure is being spoken about. Eg, in our given figure, '20 degrees' is the measure of angle ABD, and its NOT the measure of angle ADB or angle BAD

- what does 20 mean? I think I have answered this question above

- as I said, angle BDC is the measure of angle D (the alphabet in the middle), its NOT the measure of angle DBC or angle BCD
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2018, 04:33
Yes, thanks a lot! i always learned to look at the first letter, by looking at the middle its all clear and easy to me. Weird how that differs per country/region. Thanks a lot for the explanation!
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2018, 04:12
You can watch solution at

https://youtu.be/RlaqljEHe5s

Founder, GMAT Mantra
One to One Live Online GMAT Coaching
http://www.gmatmantra.com

Re: In the figure above, point D is on AC. What is the degree measure of   [#permalink] 25 Jun 2018, 04:12

In the figure above, point D is on AC. What is the degree measure of

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap