Last visit was: 12 May 2024, 02:52 It is currently 12 May 2024, 02:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
Re: IMD MBA Admissions and Related Blogs! [#permalink]
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: Kicking off- Around the world in 14 days!!
So, we are in San Fransisco as part of our whirlwind trip around the world. And we’ve been bombarded with all the superlatives about Silicon Valley. For the first two days in the Valley, I personally could not associate these superlatives to whatever I saw. It wasn’t so obvious when we visited big campuses, looked at big sales figures or gawked at the various philosophies for success of these tech giants. The real spirit of the valley came alive when a small group of us visited a nondescript startup operating in the  hardware memory industry. The CEO , a man possibly in his fifties, dressed in a dull striped shirt and plain black trousers, explained the 10 principles of his company. At the very bottom of the list he had etched his own motivating principle in the hope that it resonated with the employees of the startup and it read “I want to win”. You couldn’t tell by the way he behaved with his staff often giving them credit and really being their supporter throughout the presentation. But there he was, turning around his company and making it the top startup in the hardware memory industry. Observing this behaviour, I felt an extreme commonality with the caring and daring principles taught in Lorange.

The last week saw us dressed up, running around, completing tasks. listening to companies and meeting alumni before embracing the madness of the discovery trip. We had insightful presentations from the top firms in consulting and industry. I was wowed by the gravitas  and responsibilities of some roles and the promise of rapid learning from some other. We saw both the traditional companies with defined space for MBAs and the high growth companies with more fluid opportunities. I look forward to interact with these companies on a much personal level after these impressive presentations.

The Alumni of the school also left a indelible impression on me last week. The Alumni event on the 15th had all the ingredients of a giant family reunion. The familiar faces were there acknowledging the established connections. But more impressive were the unfamiliar faces. Everywhere I turned and introduced myself, I was greeted with a smile and an offer of help or a connection to my area of interest.

Waking up the next day and facing some other alumni, this time as part of simulated interviews was a completely different experience altogether. The test of my preparedness was persistent and as a result my learning was exponential. It was an immensely fulfilling experience that thoroughly tested my preparedness. This was extremely helpful given the fact that some alumni had to sacrifice time at the ongoing alumni event and faced problems with transportation and scheduling in order to attend these interviews.

We are well on our way to finish the San Fransisco leg of the trip and fly to Singapore tomorrow. The trip has been amazing in several ways but I can’t help but think about the incredible experience that we had with the various alumni on campus. They’ve been caring enough to introduce us to broad network of opportunities but have also dared us to be prepared to meet those opportunities when they show up. It’s this tribe spirit that keeps IMD alive.

Off to bed to get ready for tomorrow’s madness.

Parth

Featured image, the jump group picture with Golden Gate Bridge in the background.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: Silicon Valley – days one & two
The valley has produced some of the world’s largest and most successful tech companies of our generation, and our mission in this first episode of our discovery trip was to understand what was so unique about the place that made it so successful. What separates this place from the other tech hubs of the world? Were there just some really smart people there? Was there a lot of money indiscriminately being poured into startups? Do people there have a unique desire to succeed? Or was it just California dreaming?

Day 1: Apple and Genentech

Apple was our first stop in the valley. We dropped by to see Joel Podolny at the Apple University, who took us through a thought-provoking journey that allowed us to explore Apple’s DNA. Apple is not about developing the latest technology, nor is it about pursuing the latest innovation and being first-to-market. Apple is about liberal arts as much as it is about tech. How does a product make you feel when you touch it? How does the product feel in your hands? Does it surprise you when you open the box? Does it make your life simpler? Product design starts and ends with the customer; it’s about the emotion before technology. Joel’s talk was a masterclass in how Apple approaches design, and made apparent the company’s implicit promise to consumers; to operate at the intersection of technology and liberal arts.

Day 2: Flex, Waymo, Google, Tesla, SpinTransfer, Logitech and Neopotonics

Waymo is one company at the forefront of autonomous driving, breaking barriers and defining what is possible in the imminent driverless revolution. We sat down with Saswat Panigrahi, one of IMD’s own alumni in the valley, who took us through Waymo’s humble beginnings as a small Google X company. Waymo started its mission to driverless by building its own cars, because none of the big auto companies believed in the dream enough to partner up with the company. Some years later, most of the big auto companies are flocking to self-driving technologies, and Waymo Chrysler Pacificas can be seen zipping around Mountain View piling up hours after hours of successful driverless trips. The company is shaping the future of driverless as I write this, and that’s pretty cool.

One of the most anticipated parts of our trip was the visit to the Tesla factory. Here is a company that has a very clear mission; to accelerate the advent of sustainable transport by bringing mass market electric carts to the market ASAP. We went on a tour of the company’s production facility at Freemont California, navigating part of the enormous 5.3 million square feet facility on a Disneyland-like train with frequent stops at the factory’s most impressive parts that make it obvious why Tesla was so special. But the most important realization was how Tesla became what it is today. This is a company that challenged every aspect of the auto industry’s status quo. It bulldozed through an industry loaded with entry barriers and put all the other auto players on notice.

Our next stop was Logitech. Here was a legacy computer peripheral company that faced declining growth and profitability issues starting 2008. Through the lens of its current CEO Bracken Darrell, we were taken through an incredible story of how the company increased its valuation 7 times in the span of 5 years by focusing their portfolio, developing an in-house design team and embracing the cloud movement. Today, Logitech has evolved into a company that provides hardware for anything cloud connected, be it gaming, virtual meetings, etc. With its renewed focus, the company is well-poised for sustaining its turnaround.

More tomorrow!

Hassan
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: Silicon Valley – day 3
Day 3: Stanford, Cisco and VC demo

A critical piece of the silicon valley puzzle is Stanford University, and an important part of the Stanford magic is Sillicon Valley. It was therefore fitting that we started our 3rd and final day in the valley at Stanford, with a talk from Adjacent Professor Mike Lyons about the origin of the ecosystem there and how Stanford plays an important part in supporting entrepreneurs.

We were provided insight into how the birth of a place like the valley requires government support without a requirement for commercialization or profit, with an emphasis on creativity and freedom of venture as a key success criteria. As companies came and went in the valley, it was not always about the latest technology. In many cases it was about infrastructure readiness, the latest trends and consumer’s trust in the solution. Uber for example was made possible by the widespread advent of mobile phones, and a willingness of consumers to pick up on the “sharing economy” trend and trust other strangers. This was an important lesson in technology, perhaps complementary of what we discovered at Apple; technology merely enables new ideas rather than creates them. There is therefore no substitute to understanding the true pain points of consumers and the context around which they operate, and then trying to envision how technology can help them.

Our company tour ended at Cisco, where we were given a detailed insight into the company’s Corporate Strategy Office and its Cisco Investment arm.

How do you create an agile “startup” within a giant company and task it with keeping the rest of the company’s strategy in check in the face of massive technology disruption? How do you make decisions of whether to build new technologies, invest in other start-ups, partner with external companies, or buy other companies? How will the advent of IoT impact the business and how is Cisco positioning itself in that space?

The answers to these questions were not obvious, but what was obvious was that Cisco strike an impressive balance between exploiting their existing businesses and exploring new ones. Getting an intimate look at how the company does this was incredibly insightful.

Our last stop in the valley was at a Venture Capital demo, where we had 4 companies at various seed funding stages present to us their products and solutions. Seeing and understanding the kind of money VCs are ready to invest in new ideas in these companies reiterated one thing; the next big idea is right around the corner, and the only way it’s going to become reality is when cash-rich visionaries invest serious amounts of money in ambitious entrepreneurs who have unparalleled belief in their products. Another key finding however was one about failure. The VCs and the entrepreneurs talked the valley’s attitude to failure, and how it was celebrated instead of being frowned upon. The few companies that are truly successful provide enormous returns to both investors and founders, therefore making the pain of failed startups a minor inconvenience.

If there was one takeaway from our experience in Sillicon Valley, it’s that there is no magic formula for why the place is so successful. But the drive and fire in the entrepreneurs’ eyes was unquestionable. The support systems, whether incubation or plentiful capital, and the urgency at which both VCs and the entrepreneurs function with was incredibly apparent. Embracing failure seemed like it was the spark that set off the entire valley, and this is perhaps what separates Silicon Valley from the other tech hubs of the world.

Hassan
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: Singapore: Past, Present and Future
After an exciting few days in Silicon Valley off we went on a 19h transpacific flight to Singapore, the mandate for this leg: to find out how Singapore went from an underdeveloped island to a booming city-state in 50 years.

Day one – The Past

Day one started with a quick morning debrief on our agenda and after that we went to the National Museum of Singapore. The Museum tells the history of Singapore in its various phases, as a small trading port in the 14th century, to british colony through 19th century, as battleground in WWII, the brief merge with Malaysia in the 60’s to finnaly becoming the independent city-state as we know it. Through all of this one thing became very apparent: Singapore is product of its leaders. Lee Kuan Yew, the founding father of the modern Singapore, emphasis on economic growth and support for entrepreneurship shaped deeply the policies that are in effect today.

The afternoon of day saw us move to Collison 8, co-working space designed to foster innovation and a Community, there we had the opportunity of listening to Joe Tusin, founder of Chynge on his fintech startup and the Startup ecosystem in Singapore.

The ended with drinks at Smoke & Mirror with the amazing view of the Marina Bay.

View from Smoke & Mirror

Day two – Only Fun and Games

Day two was a day to relax, recover from jetlag and do some sightseeing not necessarily in this order.

Day three – The Present

Day three of our visit was all about the present of Singapore, and one cannot talk about without knowing DBS journey. So we started the day at DAX, DBS’s innovation program, where we saw the case we had studied in class a few months ago come to life through David Gledhill (Chief Information Officer). David kindly shared with us the behind the scenes of taking DBS into digital, of creating Digibank, DAX and corporate transformation

In the afternoon we went to Level 3 to learn about Unilever Foundry and Padang&Co. Level 3 is co-working space that brings together startups and corporate, functioning as platform for smaller business.

Day four – The Future

And, as foreseen day four was all about the future: Singapore as a Smart Nation.

The day started with a presentation on AI Singapore and its mission on developing talents and fostering the use and adoption of deep learning through different industries in the country.

The afternoon took us to BASH, where we heard of SGInnovate, ACE and Govtech. These three entities act as fostering innovation in theirs own way. SGInnovate for example invests and coaches deep tech initial startups that have the hunger for addressing real needs. ACE on the other hand helps startups get access to international market. Govtech  tough is its own kind of animal, an accelerator built into the the Singaporean government with the objective of bringing to fruition the Smart Nation plan.

After all these days Singapore is still a bit of a mystery to me, a country that went from underdeveloped island to boasting the 5th highest HDI. It is very clear that the government and it’s consistency in economic policy plays a major role in what Singapore has become and will be, but that in seems like too much simplification…
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: Conquering the chaos: Last Leg of the IMD MBA Discovery Expedition
Landed middle of the night in Bangalore, we didn‘t witness much of the much renowned Indian chaos. It was still there, though. We could feel it first-hand during the past three days, while discovering what I would call the first layer of the Indian economy – the big picture of the economy and society.

We heard from phenomenal thinkers including Ravi Ventakesan, India‘s top executive, ex-chairman of Microsoft in years when India became Microsoft‘s second largest geography and author of “Conquering the Chaos” as well as from Pramod Varma, Chief Architect of Aadhaar, digital ID and the adjacent software architecture. Apart from experiencing their inspirational leadership, they explained and provided us with valuable insights into the peculiarities of business-making in the world’s second largest economy, economy with high growth as well as vast disparities, an economy of ten unicorns, third highest number of billionaires where almost half of the population lives in deprived households. In combination with visits to Indian established companies as well start-ups, seeing entrepreneurs in action, while sharing their visions and how-to’s, we could  familiarize ourselves with the sketch of the India’s business world mosaic. It was a very rich and horizon-broadening taste of what India can offer – still a fraction, the first layer, which covers array of many others. These can be truly discovered only during a longer stay in India, as much is happening vividly on the go or can be grasped on a daily life basis.

ABB visit: “Good business leader should see through the confusion.”
As this was my second visit to India, I could have added to the myriad of colourful memories I made in India during a round trip two years ago. I was familiar with the never-ceasing honking tuk-tuks, roaring motorbikes transporting whole families, bright sarees, cows on the roads and little bistros filling up on busy evenings. Still many questions were left from that time and so it was great to be surrounded by my Indian classmates, seventeen experts on culture, society and business who were ready to provide answers and share their views.

India’s business world proved to be extremely agile and technologically advanced, constituted by brave entrepreneurs, leaders and highly-skilled, highly-motivated workforce. We indulged in intellectual discussions with energetic founders and top managers of the companies, debating about strategic choices, they made to keep their business up and running in the chaos, making sense of it and conquering it. For many, seeing an emerging opportunity with a potential to scale, setting-up the right team, leveraging existing network and most importantly staying perseverant in bad times were the key success factors along the road.

Discussing business model for Team Indus
The power of the talent pool India has at its fingertips is immense, so is the number of business opportunities with new ones emerging almost every day. For me there is no other country as India in the world and I wish I will have the opportunity to have touchpoints with this pulsing economy in my future career. Stating this, I will try my best to build trustful relationships, with full respect to specifics of the Indian economy, bearing in mind one of Ravi’s keynotes:

The biggest barrier to success in emerging markets is not the market; it is the mindset of the headquarter.

————————–

IMD MBA Class 2018 is off for one month, to digest the loads of information and way of thinking we had been exposed to, to engage in company or personal projects, to take online courses and language courses, to connect the dots.

Have a great summer!

Martina
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: Conquering The Chaos: Last Leg of the IMD MBA Discovery Expedition
Landed middle of the night in Bangalore, we didn‘t witness much of the renowned Indian chaos. It was still there, though. We could feel it first-hand during the past three days, while discovering what I would call the first layer of the Indian economy.

During our stay, we heard from phenomenal thinkers including Ravi Ventakesan, India‘s top executive, ex-chairman of Microsoft in years when India became Microsoft‘s second largest geography and author of “Conquering the Chaos”, as well as from Pramod Varma, Chief Architect of Aadhaar, digital ID and the adjacent software architecture. Apart from experiencing their inspirational leadership, they explained and provided us with valuable insights into the peculiarities of business-making in the world’s second largest economy, economy with high growth as well as vast disparities, an economy of ten unicorns, third highest number of billionaires where almost half of the population lives in deprived households. In combination with visits to established companies made truly in India as well start-ups, seeing entrepreneurs in action, while sharing their visions and how-to’s, we could  familiarize ourselves with the sketch of the India’s business world mosaic.

It was a very rich and horizon-broadening taste of what India can offer – still a fraction, the first layer, which covers array of many others. These can be truly discovered only during a longer stay in India, as much is happening vividly on the go or can be grasped on a daily life basis.

ABB visit: “Good business leader should see through the confusion.”
As this was my second visit to India, I could have added to the myriad of colourful memories I made in India during a round trip two years ago. I was familiar with the never-ceasing honking tuk-tuks, roaring motorbikes transporting whole families, bright sarees, cows on the roads and little bistros filling up on busy evenings. Still many questions were left from that time and so it was great to be surrounded by my Indian classmates, seventeen experts on culture, society and business who were ready to provide answers and share their views.

India’s business world proved to be extremely agile and technologically advanced, constituted by brave entrepreneurs, leaders and highly-skilled, highly-motivated workforce. We indulged in intellectual discussions with energetic founders and top managers of the companies, debating about strategic choices, they made to keep their business up and running in the chaos, making sense of it and conquering it. For many, seeing an emerging opportunity with a potential to scale, setting-up the right team, leveraging existing network and most importantly staying perseverant in bad times were the key success factors along the road.

Discussing business model for Team Indus
The power of the talent pool India has at its fingertips is immense, so is the number of business opportunities with new ones emerging almost every day. For me there is no other country as India in the world and I wish I will have the opportunity to have touchpoints with this pulsing economy in my future career. Stating this, I will try my best to build trustful relationships with my prospect business partners, with full respect to specifics of the Indian economy, bearing in mind one of Ravi’s keynotes:

The biggest barrier to success in emerging markets is not the market; it is the mindset of the headquarter.

—————————————————————————————————————————————

IMD MBA Class 2018 is off for one month, to digest the loads of information and way of thinking we had been exposed to, to engage in company or personal projects, to take online courses and language courses, to connect the dots.

Have a great summer!

Martina
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: Looking back
The  2018 class have dispersed to different parts of the world to enjoy their much deserved vacation! Hopefully, one or two of them will share their adventures with us over this month. But in the meantime, below is an entry posted this time 10 years ago. The Stewart Hamilton Scholarship for Women was created in memory of this great professor, who taught our MBAs for many years.

Suzy

3rd July 2008 – Half of 2008 has now gone

Today’s guest entry is written by Stewart Hamilton, Professor of Accounting and Finance, and Dean, Finance and Administration

The children have been to Kenya, learnt a lot and thankfully are all safe home (or at least on their way). How can I refer to the 89 carefully selected (some by me), high achievers, in such a way? Perhaps because my youngest daughter, a Registrar paediatrician with a specialisation in tropical medicine, and seven months experience in a Mission hospital in Uganda, is 30 years old. How else would I?

But this is not disparagement or put down.

A great pleasure for a teacher approaching retirement is to look back at all those who have “sat at your feet” and to see how well they have done. I was reminded of this last Saturday at the Biennial International Alumni Event when I met with and heard  from a good number of them who have gone on to do great things and could rejoice in their success. I was, however, alarmed to be told by the new CEO of a manufacturing company with an internationally recognised brand that “all the accounting that he knew, he had learned from me at IMD”. I responded that my fervent hope was that this wasn’t true! Another, a well remembered and likeable “pain in the neck”, was proud of having retired at 45 after making enough (in the hedge fund industry) to do so, and was now looking for ways to contribute to society.

Two very different examples of success, but both resonate with me. Our “product” does well. And why not? The IMD MBA is harder to get into than Harvard: the group is much more diverse; the experience that is brought to class is prodigious, often obtained in very difficult conditions. Of course our MBAs are demanding. The cost of funding the year often requires great sacrifice; it may place strains on personal and family relationships; and it certainly necessitates a great deal of effort.

That said, MBA candidates are not “customers” – they are students. IMD is not a “cheque book” school. The faculty have a duty to protect the brand for the good of those who will graduate this year and of those who have gone before. And, if at times, the class feels unduly pressured or pushed, that is because the faculty are trying to make sure that the students maximise their undoubted potential.

This month marks the end of my 27th year of teaching at IMD, and I think I must be half way through my 23rd MBA class (it isn’t over for you yet!). When I first came, I had to explain to the outside world what IMEDE (as it was then named) was. It is hugely satisfying that it is much less necessary to explain what IMD is. Indeed, when, a few weeks ago, I attended the annual conference of the European Foundation for Management Development (EFMD), a gathering of business school teachers from around the world, to run a workshop on governance and corruption, I was both proud and humbled to realise just how many of the participants were in awe of IMD and our status.

This nostalgic retrospective has a purpose: almost every class at some point will ask me how their class compares with previous years.

My answer is consistent: “all classes are the same, and all are different”. Each class has its own chemistry. Some are more collegiate than others; some are more “party animals” than others; some are more serious and studious than others. But, at the end of the day, all share the same characteristics of a group of highly talented and motivated young people wanting to, and believing they can, make a difference in this world. That is why I wouldn’t want to teach anywhere else.

Now, I too, need a break. In a typical first half of the year, I have conducted 14 MBA sessions, participated in two Integrative Exercises, graded (in part) two MBA exams, 65 EMBA assignments twice, taught in eight in-co programs, written three cases and two articles, made one webcast, given lectures in Singapore, Jakarta, Kuala Lumpur and Oslo, and talked to two Alumni clubs.

Tomorrow I head back to God’s country, Scotland, for a month to wind down and refresh.

The MBAs deserve their break and so do the faculty!

Have a great summer.

Stewart Hamilton
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: Summer Postcards
Here are the first of our summer postcards, as MBAs share their different holiday experiences with us! #IMDSummer18

In South Africa for an assignment with WWF

Kshitij

The top of Mt Pilatus with my partner!

Ashish

Director
Director
Send PM
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: Summer in India and Europe
Our summer postcards continue with some family time …

“On a magical journey through Kerala – India with my sister”

Oriane

Family Happy Trip across Europe—Europa Park

Roy

Director
Director
Send PM
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: Around the World in 14 days…IMD MBA Discovery Expedition 2018!
2 weeks, 3 countries and countless learning experiences! Setting off from Lausanne the cohort first travelled to San Francisco, then flew to Singapore and finally landed in Bangalore. We visited companies, small and large, to learn first hand about what role they play in an ever so fast changing economic landscape. The trip provided us with thought provoking insights into the challenges that today’s leaders face.

Click to view slideshow.
Raj Ramful

LinkedIn
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: Live your life as an adventure
Dragging my luggage across the small street of Lausanne back from our worldwide discovery trip, I sensed the familiarity — the path I’ve crossed hundreds of times when commuting between apartment and school during the past six months.

It reminds me of my uneasiness during the initial days, amongst the complex mix of expectation, anxiety and resolution.

I’m Suyun, coming from China, engineer by training, introvert, sensitive, and Virgo.

Then here you may go with a typical archetype:

A self-disciplined one needs the compulsory order of making and sticking to plans, tends to learn and comprehend by breaking things down to progress and mechanism; relatively weak at open discussion, argument or articulation, but with born intellectual curiosity and good savvy about numbers and logic.

It resembles part of me, the old me.

I came to IMD to receive this one-year MBA program training, with the hope to hone skills, to forge characters, to undergo challenges and transmissions and to fully exploit my potential.

I’ve talked to many alumni. They all seem to hold IMD dear to their hearts – ‘Best experience in life’, ‘life-changing year’ – that’s the words they’re likely to use most.

It’s the place where you get surrounded by bunch of wise, extraordinary, yet humble people to learn from; it’s the enabler where you can gain access to precious platforms, resources and networks.

Photo: Me with some alumni in Singapore

On top of that, it’s a manifestation as well:

It’s the group of people who have the courage to make the choice to halt their career lives for a year, and make investments into self-improvement, in exchange for the chance to shoot for the stars, to dream something big, or to make adjustment or remedy for their previous experiences.

It’s always intense and tough:

I got frustrated when I couldn’t follow a professor in class;

I felt guilt and remorse when teamwork didn’t work;

I had to recite ‘fake it till make it’ so many times to get the courage to stand on stage to deliver a key presentation.

But eventually, you’ll get stronger after surviving it all:

You’ll become comfortable with being uncomfortable;

You’ll understand yourself better, in terms of strength, weakness, purpose and passion;

You’ll feel like you know the big picture when framing knowledges and skills all together;

And mentally and psychologically, you’ll be future-ready, as a real business leader.

Each time I get close to Léman, I feel emotional.

It has been more than one year since my assessment day. I still vividly remember my first sight of the breath-taking beauty of the lake, and the voice which consistently resonated within me, telling me what a privilege it would be to jog around it the following year.

Like many other things in life, career may not always turn out to be as planned. That being said, it shouldn’t prevent us from choosing the future we truly want to live.

Seize the day and walk your own path;

Aim long, stay open-minded and work hard;

Make as many mistakes as you can during this year, and try to learn the maximum out of them;

Last but not least, my favorite quote from Richard Hahlo, ‘to show up, light up’.

Suyun

(Featured image: Lac Léman)
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: Summer Internships
Taking advantage of the summer break, doing an internship with Hellofresh in Toronto.

Hassan

Enjoying our “holidays” doing an internship in Belgium!

Pedro and David

Director
Director
Send PM
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: Exploring Europe
Our summer postcards continue as MBAs relax around Europe.

Slowing down the pace with friends by driving a péniche on a canal in Alsace, France.

Matthias

Amazing visit to Chiara in Milano

Paula

Enjoying the lovely Amsterdam

Adriano

Sunset in Palma de Mallorca, exploring the city by night and getting some sun before flying down to wintry Chile

Arie

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
Hi guys,
I am a 30 year old from Mumbai, India with 7 years of experience. Need a little guidance for my interest in IMD 2 years down the line. Background is: Eco honors, PG in Broadcast Journalism from the best journalism school in India, 5 years working for India's premier TV channels ET Now, Times Now. I currently work as a manager in the Corporate Communications division of India's biggest retail and FMCG company Future Group. I am looking to go a step further and study management and IMD looks like a great option. I haven’t take GMAT yet but looking to consolidate in the next 2 years. I know I am not a typical applicant so I am skeptical about my chances. Any thoughts?

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: From Helsinki to the Northkapp
Summer postcards continue

Juho, Danu and myself started from Helsinki and drove all the way up to the Northkapp, in Norway.

We started sleeping where Juho used to go as a child, where he also introduced us to the sauna and palgu …

Then we were able to enjoy some of the amazing landscapes this region has …

We visited the original santa …

And finally, we reached the Northkapp!

Nicolas
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: From Interlaken to Mexico
With just over a week of vacation left, MBAs continue to enjoy their summer around the world!

My wife, our little guy (expected to August) and I exploring the beautiful Interlaken!

Fernando

Enjoying the sunset in a jungle hotel in Tulum, Mexico

Candice

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools: IMD '17 (M)
WE:Sales (Manufacturing)
Send PM
JournotoMBA wrote:
Hi guys,
I am a 30 year old from Mumbai, India with 7 years of experience. Need a little guidance for my interest in IMD 2 years down the line. Background is: Eco honors, PG in Broadcast Journalism from the best journalism school in India, 5 years working for India's premier TV channels ET Now, Times Now. I currently work as a manager in the Corporate Communications division of India's biggest retail and FMCG company Future Group. I am looking to go a step further and study management and IMD looks like a great option. I haven’t take GMAT yet but looking to consolidate in the next 2 years. I know I am not a typical applicant so I am skeptical about my chances. Any thoughts?

Posted from my mobile device

Hey!

MBA schools are always interested in unusual profiles - in our class (2017) we had some "non-business" profiles, who later managed to switch their industry (architects, lawyers, military officers). I would recommend you to definitely try! Do the GMAT first - and apply.

On a negative side, please be aware that sometimes it's not easy to get a job in EU for non-EU citizens, so you might consider US schools as alternative. For your age Stanford MS in business can be another option https://www.gsb.stanford.edu/programs/msx
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  6   7   8   9   10   11   12  ...  18   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6927 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts