GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Jul 2018, 04:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

IMD MBA Admissions and Related Blogs!

new topic post reply Update application status  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
The Rollercoaster Ride  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2018, 05:00
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: The Rollercoaster Ride
It starts with anticipation and excitement, plus a bit of dread…

The adrenalin begins to flow – a new country, bonding with classmates, minds stretching with new information and skills, Faculty and guest speakers, off-campus exercises and cases, start-up projects and integrative exercises…

And then comes the peak as realisation hits – this is it! The fast pace, the intensity, the ride is in full swing and suddenly, the swoop towards the first round of exams has arrived.

A mountain of work to revise, three months of finance and accounting, economics and strategy – evening workshops , shared notes, nerves building in anticipation.

And this is where the MBAs are now. Preparing for next week – a week of exams.

But spring is in the air, the exams will be followed by a long weekend break, new classes will start, new Faculty be met, and spring will turn to summer…

And the roller coaster ride continues – a second round of revision and exams, company visits, the program quickly half way over as the pressure builds.

A trip around the world together, summer vacation.

Another module, career search in full swing, a digital lab, ICPs, electives.

The ride is nearing its end, adrenaline levels calm with a certain surprise that it’s over already, goodbyes approach.

But there’s one final swoop – awards and celebrations, the graduation ceremony and family reunions, the rush of success – yes, you did it ! You are an IMD MBA graduate ready for the next stage of your career with 89 lifelong friends to support you along the way.

Good luck to the class of 2018 on the first round of exams!

Suzy
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
What does your online footprint look like?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2018, 01:00
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: What does your online footprint look like?
What does your online footprint look like? How much data do you think companies have accumulated on you over the years you have been googling, shopping, using social media platforms, reading articles and so on? These were all questions that our startup group had never considered before beginning to work on our project together with PersonalData.io. If you think about it, the amount of data you’ve generated online is significant. What you may not often consider though, is how that data is used by companies to, for instance, tailor advertising to your personality profile, or monitor your preferences when it comes to shopping.

The topic of personal data is high on the public agenda, even more so because of the impending General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) coming into force on May 25th in Europe. This is why the timing of PersonalData.io is very relevant.

Among other things, the GDPR regulation stipulates that individuals have a right to access the personal data that corporations gather on them, ask for it to be transferred to another entity, and/or request that it be deleted, under the so called “right to be forgotten”.

Like many startups, PersonalData.io is passionate about the problem they are trying to address: how to manage access to and control of personal data. In a world where individuals have increasingly found themselves at the mercy of large, multinational corporations when it comes to controlling the data they’ve generated online, PersonalData.io acts as a welcome counterweight, firmly on the side of the individual.

Set up by a former IMD MBA student, Jerome Groetenbriel and his partner Paul Olivier Dehaye, PersonalData.io aims to facilitate collection of personal data for individuals. They do this by acting as a one-stop-shop, using their app “Chommy” which interacts with customers and requests data from corporates on their behalf.

So far, our group work has focused on trying to map out what consequences the GDPR regulation will have, how data will be managed and stored going forward, and what the long term needs for businesses accumulating large amounts of personal data will be. Coming mostly from corporate environments, the shift to working with an early stage startup, fine-tuning a business idea for a market that will change in ways that are yet to be defined, has been a challenging but great learning experience.

For Personal.Data.io, this is only the beginning. Once GDPR is implemented, the efforts made to build the customer base will serve as a crucial aspect of the long-term goal of the business idea; to eventually capitalize on data mobility by potentially facilitating transfer of personal data files between organizations, under the consent and scrutiny of users. What exactly this will look like remains to be seen as the consequences of the GDPR regulation become clearer. For now, what is certain is that control of personal data and how it is used, is about to change.

By Fanny on behalf of Group 14

Our team: Gaspar, Piyush, Jerome, Sara, Filippo, Fanny, Arshish
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Building Team Spirit  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2018, 03:00
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: Building Team Spirit
“Coming together is a beginning. Keeping together is progress. Working together is success.”

– Henry Ford

My name is Matthias Tschudi, I am 33 years old and I am the local one of the class. I was born in Lausanne and raised in the beautiful vineyard of Lavaux, 10km away.

I always feel at home when enjoying the scenic view of Geneva Lake or when skiing on the snowy slopes of the Alps. But since the beginning of 2018, I feel even more fortunate to welcome all of my awesome MBA classmates in my home town!

Before coming to IMD, I was working in a Swiss company developing automated production machines. The technical challenges were extremely interesting, but my biggest motivation has always been to work with people. I had to manage several projects and development teams, and I always considered that working together was the best way to achieve success.

When I was a teenager, I used to play volleyball. In this sport, you are six on the court, and you have to trust your team. If one of us made a mistake, the point was lost and it was thus mandatory to play together and support each other. We could build a great team spirit over the years, allowing us to become twice in a row vice Swiss champions. These memories always remind me that heading towards the same objective as a team will make outstanding results achievable.

In January, I only had to walk 30 minutes to come to IMD, while some of my classmates had to relocate from more than 15’000km away, but everyone came together to start this journey. We made progress by keeping together during the first days, but we’re now definitely working together toward success – our common success.

Matthias

LinkedIn
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
POM POM Class (revisited)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2018, 05:00
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: POM POM Class (revisited)
10 years ago another group of MBAs prepared for their exams. How did it compare? Here’s what Mathieu Pointeau, one of the 2018 MBA bloggers, wrote:

26th March 2008

His name is Stefano Masino, Global Partner Director of Adecco Human Capital Solutions. Born in Italy, he graduated from IMD in 2005 and was kind enough to return to see us to share his views on international recruitment trends. For a couple of hours, we benefited from the personal insight of a previous MBA and a recruitment expert. Listening to him, I wondered how many of us would have the opportunity in future to address an MBA Class so soon after graduation. Only two years. Grazie mille, Stefano.

At lunchtime, we received two related and yet contrasting emails: one official and procedural explaining what was expected of us next week for our first set of Exams. The other like a light at the end of the tunnel inviting us all to a party to celebrate the end of the exams. The choreography here is timed to perfection. Nothing is left to chance.

In the afternoon, we had our last class of Finance for the first quarter. We will meet again with Professors Jim Ellert and Arturo Bris but today was our final opportunity to ask the questions which still needed clarification before next week. Then came POM at 17h45: Production and Operations Management. Our usual Professor Corey Billington was temporarily replaced by Matt McKee [American] who might be the youngest student in our Class but successfully managed to lead 50 of us through the fundamentals of supply chain theory. Corey would have been proud.

Matt had taken the initiative and organised the session but was fully assisted by Olivier Prigent [French] who had prepared summaries to the Class and Harsh Mehta [Indian] who clarified a few concepts for us. In the end, everybody was taking part, making sure that all would understand. It was interactive, it was fun, it was useful and most importantly… it felt good. The Power of 90.

I then went to my study room to do some accounting work and discuss with the two Singaporeans in our class: John Ng and Loon Chian Yeo. Block I is almost over and it will soon be time to change groups. New dynamics, new start and the nostalgia to leave your first study group mates behind. It all goes so fast.

I left IMD after midnight, wished John good night and rode my bike home uphill through Place Saint-François, under the refreshing drops of a late March rain. I still needed to write the Diary. What would I write about tonight?

Sogni d’oro [sweet dreams] wherever you might be.

Mathieu

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Learning, disruption and friendship  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2018, 09:00
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: Learning, disruption and friendship
On a moisty mid-summer evening we reached the end of the road. My brother, three lifetime friends and I were gazing at the artic sea under the unreal light of the midnight sun.

A few weeks earlier, with a frenzy spirit, we had decided to hop in our old Toyota Avensis and drive to the northernmost corner of Europe enjoying the sense of freedom that comes from being 18 years old. My name is Andrea, and my life has always been characterized by spontaneous decisions which brought both challenges and opportunities.

I was born in Turin in Northern Italy, but soon moved out of my hometown to Cambridge (UK) to study a rather unusual subject for an IMD student: Geography. My professional background is in supply chain, where I worked for 6 years in various functions for Diageo, one of the world leading drinks companies. My professional experience brought me to move back to my home country and subsequently to Amsterdam, where I spent some of the best days of my life.

But my need for new experiences and development made me decide to leave my cozy and secure base in the Netherlands to apply for perhaps the most challenging and transformative MBA in the world. As I look back at these first three months, I realise I have found exactly what I was looking for: learning, disruption and, most importantly, a group of people who feel like longtime friends.

As I jump into the rollercoaster of the IMD experience, I feel similarly to the days of my road trip to NorthCape more than 10 years ago: grateful for having followed my instincts to trail an unknown path and curious to discover what waits for me at the end of the road.

Andrea

LinkedIn

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Filling the canvas  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2018, 09:00
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: Filling the canvas
I am Sakshi from India. My parents work for India’s premier nuclear research facility which resulted in my family living in different parts of the country – some urban and some rural – throughout my life. While living in the rural areas, I saw a stark difference between the life of privilege that I led and the life of kids in the nearby villages and tribal areas who had little or no access to basic amenities. Thus, working on various causes associated with children has always been close to my heart and something I loved spending my weekends on.

Having been significantly exposed to different ways of life and national diversity from an early age, I was always a curious kid who loved solving complex problems and helping people around me. I learnt early on to stay humble, be resourceful and self-reliant. My personal attribute of solving complex problems has governed most of my career progression, from a software engineer at a multinational corporate to a product manager with niche e-commerce startups, where I could develop concepts from scratch and implement them to create impact in people’s lives. My ability to empathize and care for people has also shaped my leadership style which helped me manage people’s expectations as a product manager.

I believe that just as a blank canvas becomes more beautiful with addition of every hue, life is enriched with every learning opportunity and every person who facilitates it. Life at IMD is a natural extension to my previous life. I deal with diverse cultures everyday while keeping my core values alive. It’s just 3 months into the program, but I already see similar values resonated in my classmates, bonding us in a familial way. For me, this year at IMD is not just about the classroom learnings, but also about the people interactions – being considerate of people – emotionally & mentally – in stressful situations, and forming lifelong connections. I believe that IMD has been instrumental in magnifying the positives in me while guiding me to let go of the negatives and become a better person each day. Working in differently sized companies under various industry umbrellas, had given me a broader exposure to different work cultures, but IMD has taught me that an ideal work culture is all about respecting people, nurturing them and providing them opportunities to shine.

“Ten years from now it won’t really matter what shoes you wore today, how your hair looked, or what brand of clothes you wore. What will matter is how you lived, how you loved, and what you learnt along the way”.

-Marc Chernoff

Sakshi

LinkedIn

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Pause, Reflect & Go  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2018, 17:00
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: Pause, Reflect & Go
I have a little confession to make, when I started at IMD almost three months ago, I did have a slight chip on my shoulder…. I used to wonder how could anything make such a difference in someone’s personality … how could I possibly assimilate so much in such little time as the alums make it out to be and the one thought which constantly nagged me was how will I work in a team of peers?

Did I just say three months ago? How could we possibly do so much, that too successfully, in just 12 weeks? A full-blown start up project which takes about 8-9 hours each week, 2 cases every day, finance, accounting, economics, career services activities, guest lectures, leadership stream and between all this madness, we would still manage to find time in true MBA style to have little celebrations here & there. And not to forget the very intense integrative exercise when all the courses beautifully and coherently came together, which was then followed by exams. And finally, we got some time to cool off the steam in the 4-day Easter break.

When I look back at the last three months, it seems to me that time is slipping through my fingers like sand. However, what I also realized is that some of the sand sticks to the skin and these are memories and lessons that will remain, memories of the time when there was still time left. While this time slowly washed away any preconceived notions that I came here with, it has also given me a few life changing lessons already.

I have always been a sprint runner and applied that philosophy even in my professional life. But a few weeks into the program and I quickly became aware that I need to adapt my style and transition into a marathon runner. A marathon runner must plan and run the whole 26 miles. Train for it. Conserve the energy to finish it. Be persistent to continue at several points on the way when the instinct is to give up. And the most important thing, for someone who has been a sprinter, is to take the leap of faith and give up sprinting to become a marathon runner. It is still work in progress I must admit, but given the progress, I’m quite confident of the outcome.

Steve Jobs once said: “to achieve your greatest goals, sometimes all you need to do is ask”. Reaching out did not come naturally to me and I initially hesitated in asking for any kind of support.  Thankfully, I soon understood the superior power of cohorts and that I will need my classmates for both academic and 3 am emotional support. And every time I reached out against my instinct, my new-found belief in power of asking for help was further strengthened. And If I think about it, perhaps the most precious moments so far are those that have been spent in the company of my groupmates or other friends, creating bonds for life.

A new module starts tomorrow morning with its new set of learnings and challenges. Till the insanity strikes again, I’ll enjoy another good night’s sleep and go to bed with the wish if only I had Hermoine’s time turner.

Image: Dungeon exuberance post integrative exercises!

Linkedin

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Damini says “Ask yourself why”?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2018, 08:00
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: Damini says “Ask yourself why”?

“I am everyone everything whose being-in-the-world affected was affected by mine. I am anything that happens after I’ve gone which would not have happened if I had not come. To understand me, you’ll have to swallow my world.” Salman Rushdie, Midnight’s Children

My name is Damini Sud. I was born 33 years ago in a small Himalyan town in India called Shimla. I pursued an education in humanities and social sciences as I believed that it would help me to look at the world in a more nuanced humanistic way.

After completing my Bachelors and Masters, I started my career by working for non-profit organizations, moved to social enterprises and finally to leadership development consulting. The common purpose that I followed throughout my career was to be able to contribute to individuals, teams and organizations that could have a far larger impact on the world than I could individually have on my own.

While I passionately followed my dream of contribution, I felt that there was a massive gap in my default way of looking at the world and how the world appeared to be functioning. Pursuit of market based capitalism was what was thriving in the world. Businesses to me seemed to be impacting the world in ways that I did neither fully understand nor felt skilled enough to impact.

This attracted me to study business management at IMD that is teaching me core MBA syllabus but additionally is focusing a hell lot on making me a better leader behaviorally and ethically. I love the fact that I am working with a leadership coach and a psychoanalyst throughout my MBA. Also, that I have ‘Business and Society’ as a core MBA subject.

I believe the most important question to ask yourself in pursuing anything is to ask yourself “why”. Once one understands the “why”, the “what” and “how” can quickly be deciphered and mastered.

I am discovering my most pressing “why” in my new role as a mother to a 11 months old Adi. Mothers who are MBA students are rare. I often delve into questioning whether I am being brave or selfish in pursuing this MBA with a young child. Then again, I tell myself that I owe a multi-layered responsibility to my son. My responsibility is to psychologically give him a better mother everyday by working on myself. Secondly to be able to be employable to my best potential and financially provide for him. But additionally, and most importantly, strive to be a business leader and contribute positively to the world of tomorrow that my son will find himself in.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
IMD MBA “Create our Future” Challenge  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2018, 05:00
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: IMD MBA “Create our Future” Challenge
The admissions team is gearing up for an exciting new admissions event in Mumbai, India.

We’ve been brainstorming with alumni, participants, faculty and leadership coaches to come up with a unique event to attract the very best in an area that is home to such a strong pool of talented professionals.

Applicants will need to complete and submit an event-specific application by May 1st and our admissions team will then pre-select those who will be invited to take part in a one-day challenge. A chance to brainstorm on how society could and should address some of its most pressing challenges. Those who make the most impact, who contribute most to the idea generation and who demonstrate leadership and potential for greatness will be shortlisted by our selection team.

The top applicant will be awarded a CHF 40,000 scholarship for the IMD MBA Program, up to four others will be offered a place in the IMD MBA class of 2019.

We’re really looking forward to being inspired by the innovative thinking of future-oriented optimists and their ideas.

The “Create our Future” Challenge will take place in Mumbai on 20th May with networking the night before. Winners will be announced on 21st.

Suzy

P.S. More details can be found on our Events page if you’re interested!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Fred’s testimony on a start-up project: Lighter. Better. Faster. Smal  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2018, 10:00
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: Fred’s testimony on a start-up project: Lighter. Better. Faster. Smaller. 
When designing aircraft components, weight and size matter.  On your last flight, you might have noticed flaps moving up and down on the wings.  And hopefully at some point prior to hitting the runway, the landing gear was extended.  What makes these critical parts move are actuators, which take information from control systems and provide the required force that acts on the part.  Everything matters in an aircraft; a reduction in weight directly impacts fuel efficiency and a reduction in size can allow for more design flexibility.  The need for a lightweight actuator in this field inspired Komp-Act, a local Swiss startup firm, to design a new solution.

By the time Komp-Act CEO Salvatore DeBenedictis teamed up with my IMD MBA Startup Project team, he had a prototype and a strategy to take his new proprietary technology to the market, starting with owners of industrial machines, for which their use is ubiquitous.

I am on a team with five other IMD MBA students.  We are privileged to work with Komp-Act.  We are diverse, representing six countries on four continents.  Our professional backgrounds include law, finance, engineering, and consulting.

From left to right: Martina, Chuan, Rafael, Marcel Jufer (Komp-Act co-founder), Carol, Fred, Shalin
The task is to perform both data-driven and hands-on market research and analysis, among other things, based on which Komp-Act will directly take action and benefit.  The process has been fun, challenging, and a great learning experience.  We have been adding value to Komp-Act by bringing insights from experienced executives of the largest companies in the market. Yet the job involves much more, and the end-goal is to translate the insights into an actionable and pragmatic go-to-market plan, create tools to support the companies in further ventures and, perhaps, help the team in commercial prospects.

IMD MBA Startup Team with Salvatore Debenedictis (Komp-Act CEO)
Dedication to this project has its perks, most notably, a visit to the electric motors laboratory at EPFL, the astute research institute whose high-tech Lausanne campus includes a concentration of varied knowledge, employs a “latest thinking” approach, and is an incubator for successful companies. There, we met the esteemed Prof. Marcel Jufer, inventor of a Swiss hyperloop technology development.  He is a co-founder and an active member of Komp-Act’s development and management teams.

Komp-Act has recently filed for their patent on the technology.  We look forward to continuing our work with the firm through May to help them take off full-throttle!

Fred Farella on behalf of Group 9

LinkedIn

More about the Swiss hyperloop project can be found here: https://hyperloop.epfl.ch/team.html
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
A tale about goose and salt  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2018, 03:00
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: A tale about goose and salt
André Cepêda  from MBA 2018 class talks about his transformation throughout the IMD journey so far. Featured image of the scenic expanse of Itacoatiara beach from his beloved home city of Niterói, Rio de Janeiro.

The path down the hill of Itacoatiara’s beach led me back to the salty waters where my ordinary worries had been drifting harmlessly since my first dive in the morning. The corruption and violence that pervades my beloved Rio de Janeiro would – only for a minute – be diluted in a glass of cold mate tea, instead of in an everyday that can no longer be swallowed. An ancient indigenous legend says that sharing the mate herb spreads the good among neighbors. “Let there be mate” – I thought, focusing my eyes on the case. The interview would happen in a couple of days. Professional development, for outsiders. In my heart, though, a primal drive to fence more nurturing soils to the family I wanted to grow. Everything I love would soon be left behind, but for the moment, Itacoa’s sunset was still above… still illuminating my way back home.

“It’s the lack of salt” – I wondered, floating on Lake Geneva. I had just left my psychoanalysis session, and the bubbling insights on my mind refused to be washed away, preventing me to dive deeper. Or maybe I went deep enough already. The last days were all about group work. Supercharged, round the clock, with a team as talented as diverse: a Swiss-made experience to tear one apart. Suddenly I sink, inasmuch as an unknown piece of my personality arises to my consciousness.

How could I have ignored it for so long? Am I missing something else? How much further could I have gone, had I known before? Do I still have time? The gloomy waters around answered silently… and nearly drowned, I followed that light to the other side.

A goose squawked, waking me up. Am I still alive? I opened my eyes. The light was still there, and I recognized Itacoa’s sun shining timidly above me. Five hours late and tired from the trip, it looked just like Lausanne’s. Gosh, it was Lausanne’s sun. It doesn’t matter. it dredged me from the lake humbler and wiser, and I felt in love with it. I came to the IMD MBA program to become a better leader, and what I found would enlighten new ways across every dimension of my life

André Cepeda

The video below provides a glimpse of Itacoatiara’s beauty and peek into André’s experience

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
A tale about geese and salt  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2018, 05:00
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: A tale about geese and salt
André Cepêda  from MBA 2018 class talks about his transformation throughout the IMD journey so far. Featured image of the scenic expanse of Itacoatiara beach from his beloved home city of Niterói, Rio de Janeiro.

The path down the hill of Itacoatiara’s beach led me back to the salty waters where my ordinary worries had been drifting harmlessly since my first dive in the morning. The corruption and violence that pervades my beloved Rio de Janeiro would – only for a minute – be diluted in a glass of cold mate tea, instead of in an everyday that can no longer be swallowed. An ancient indigenous legend says that sharing the mate herb spreads the good among neighbors. “Let there be mate” – I thought, focusing my eyes on the case. The interview would happen in a couple of days. Professional development, for outsiders. In my heart, though, a primal drive to fence more nurturing soils to the family I wanted to grow. Everything I love would soon be left behind, but for the moment, Itacoa’s sunset was still above… still illuminating my way back home.

“It’s the lack of salt” – I wondered, floating on Lake Geneva. I had just left my psychoanalysis session, and the bubbling insights on my mind refused to be washed away, preventing me to dive deeper. Or maybe I went deep enough already. The last days were all about group work. Supercharged, round the clock, with a team as talented as diverse: a Swiss-made experience to tear one apart. Suddenly I sink, inasmuch as an unknown piece of my personality arises to my consciousness.

How could I have ignored it for so long? Am I missing something else? How much further could I have gone, had I known before? Do I still have time? The gloomy waters around answered silently… and nearly drowned, I followed that light to the other side.

A goose squawked, waking me up. Am I still alive? I opened my eyes. The light was still there, and I recognized Itacoa’s sun shining timidly above me. Five hours late and tired from the trip, it looked just like Lausanne’s. Gosh, it was Lausanne’s sun. It doesn’t matter. it dredged me from the lake humbler and wiser, and I felt in love with it. I came to the IMD MBA program to become a better leader, and what I found would enlighten new ways across every dimension of my life

André Cepeda

The video below provides a glimpse of Itacoatiara’s beauty and peek into André’s experience

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
A tale about geese and salt  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2018, 10:00
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: A tale about geese and salt

André Cepeda

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Leadership Petri dish  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2018, 04:00
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: Leadership Petri dish
Featured image: The MBA 2018 class with George Kohlrieser

Last year when I was accepted into the IMD MBA program, I received a welcome book, from the MBA office , called “Hostage at the Table” written by George Kohlrieser. Besides having a tremendous influence over me at that time,  book had a certain symbolic meaning to me. I was choosing not to be hostage to a traditional career path by embarking on the MBA program. Little did I know that I’d be learning from the man himself for an intense and enjoyable couple of days.

Module 2 kicked off with a bang. We had Richard Hahlo, a stage actor teaching us how to deliver a message and own the stage. We had Ina Toegelteaching us the importance of shared leadership and bonding in high performance teams. Learning from her research on the Beatles and their complementary leadership styles was fascinating. We had  Torkel Olrik, another business case protagonist, come over to deliver Practical Management 101 disguised as an accounting case.

And to cap it all, we had 2 fantastic days with George Kohlrieser. George took us on a roller coaster ride to discover our true motivations, griefs, fears and joys. All throughout those 2 days, we learnt how to let go, understand the other person and lead with an appropriate mix of caring and daring. We learnt that conflicts are something that as leaders we should learn to like. We teamed up several times with our classmates, practicing effective negotiation and bonding with them in the process. At the end of it all, the whole class came out as a tighter unit and a much more emotionally aware bunch.

We were also assigned a new Module 2 team and we chose our own innovation team for the “Innovation Challenge” next week. In the middle of this all, we also managed to squeeze in sometime with a brand new country analysis team for Economics. In essence, the last two weeks were spent working with 4 different teams. Although constraining in time, this opportunity has provided us with a training ground to apply newly learnt leadership concepts and experiment with different leadership styles.

Its been enjoyable transitioning from a content rich Module 1 to a petri-dish for leadership these past few weeks. Can’t wait for a deep dive into innovation next week.

Parth Reddy

Module 2 Group (Shingo, Mathieu, Candice, Maksim, Marco and I)

Innovation Group (Joyce, Rafael, Oriane and I)

Intern
Intern
Re: IMD MBA Admissions and Related Blogs!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2018, 04:09
Please suggest me better job last week am completed my MBA program now i am so worried about job???
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Dare and Care  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2018, 05:00
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: Dare and Care
The Courage to Act is the memoirs of Ben S. Bernanke, chairman of the Federal Research from 2006 to 2014. The book records how a Princeton professor changed himself to become a leader of the global financial market and acted with courage to fight crises.

Before I joined IMD, I admired leaders with the courage to act. In my view, such leaders are powerful, assertive and energetic when conquering challenges. However, after spending three months with my MBA classmates, especially teammates in the “dungeons” (study rooms), I gradually got the idea that courage itself was not enough. It is necessary for a leader to own the character as “dare and care”.

I was a finance manager in one of the top real estate developers in China, leading a team to complete M&A deals, share placement and land acquisitions. My boss praised me as a good team player, but I am learning genuine teamwork with my IMD mates.

(Photo: Brainstorm during Integrative Exercise)

Each member of an outperforming team is accountable for the others’ growth, and when everyone grows, the team gets stronger. I am grateful for the feedback from my “dungeon” mates who have helped me understand myself more deeply and have provided me with the power to be a better me – a man who not only owns the courage to act and change, but also has the warm heart to care about others when they are in need.

(Photo: Feedback from teammates in the Leadership Lab)

As a chartered financial analyst (CFA) and chartered accountant (ACCA), I asked myself countless times how I could contribute my strength to the team as well to the class. When finding that I could leverage my finance and accounting knowledge and make the needle move, I acted without hesitation. So far, I have held 4 accounting sessions after class, and I hope my work could help classmates overcome difficulties. We are in the same boat, and if our boat is full of care, I believe we can achieve far beyond our expectations.

(Photo: My team performed best in the outdoor games and won the chocolate!)

Cyril Chen

Linkedin
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Spring is here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2018, 06:00
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: Spring is here!
Spring has arrived, the sun is out and summer is on it’s way!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
AVAtronics Start Up  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2018, 04:00
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: AVAtronics Start Up
We live in a noisy world. Increasingly in our lives there seems to be less time for a quiet moment of reflection. According to the Greek tragedist, Euripides, Silence is true wisdom’s best reply, yet it appears that the contemporary world is one where noise prevails and where the loudest is the carrier of the truth. Avatronics is a courageous startup company based in Lausanne. Their aim is to introduce predictive active noise cancellation in the communication and media reproduction devices industry.

I am working in a team of six MBAs for the IMD start-up project and, together with my colleagues, I immediately felt a connection with Avatronics’ mission and values. As we deep dive into the deliverables and into the definition of our role with the company, we discover the disruptive potential of their product and the various possible applications it could have. Active noise cancellation is a method to reduce sound by emitting a second opposite sound wave designed to cancel the first. The problem of this method is that, for irregular noises which continuously change, it is difficult to consistently adapt and therefore emit a wave that cancels the other fast enough. The disruptive potential of Avatronics comes from a patented technology which allows the prediction of incoming signals to emit an opposite wave. This technology increases the effectiveness of noise cancellation and improves the transfer of relevant information.

Immediately puzzled by the technological complexity of our startup, we rolled our sleeves up and started working on which one of the numerous applications would make economic sense and came up with several proposals. Last week, as we climbed the hilly roads of Lausanne towards our startup headquarters, we shared a common feeling of satisfaction and gratitude for having been exposed to the daily issues of a promising start up company and proposing innovative ideas to their resolutions.

Andrea

Our team from left to right: Andrea Bertino, Fernando Serra, Jeyran Hezaveh (Cofounder), Muhammad Atif, Amir Farahani (Cofounder), Danu Thanaboonchai and Nicolas Berczely (missing: Juho Lievonen)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Shifting Gears between Module 1 and Module 2  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2018, 18:00
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: Shifting Gears between Module 1 and Module 2
The calm before the storm…

Raj Ramful

LinkedIn
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Whole is greater than the sum of its parts  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2018, 15:00
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: Whole is greater than the sum of its parts
Eureka means “I found it!” and was the phrase that Archimedes exclaimed after discovering that the volume of water that ascends is equal to the volume of the submerged body.

While Archimedes may have single handedly discovered the principle of buoyancy, the same cannot be said for innovations from the wheel to the iPhone.  These inventions and innovations were led by collective thinking and group dynamics rather than any individual effort.

The IMD “Innovation Lab” is a testimonial to this same fundamental of group work and interdisciplinary approach to drive creativity and innovation. This week-long lab is about discovery, problem solving & learning. The overall objective of this lab is to help us gain experience with design thinking, learn the habits of successful innovators and find solutions to critical problems in the field of healthcare, with a focus towards untapped patient engagement with physicians and hospitals.  In this journey, IMD is collaborating with the ECal and EPFL to create mixed teams of students who will together combine their business, design & technology dimensions to jointly crack the 2018 Debiopharm Inartis Challenge.

Popular wisdom may suggest that a diverse team is a recipe for success, however it cannot be the only ingredient. Along with complimentary skills, it is almost mandatory to have a shared purpose, chemistry and a willingness to work with each other for a minimum viable team(product).  This week is not only a course in innovation but also draws heavily upon the leadership education which we have had so far. For success, we not only need to work in a team which share similar motivations but also easily handle chaos yet preserve harmony. Therefore, our innovation teams are a combination of five participants from IMD and one from ECal/EPFL who have come together by choice to achieve a common purpose.

The “Innovation lab” kicked off today with an introduction to the program, the expectations, our deliverables and a discussion with the experts from the field of healthcare to get diverse perspectives into problems plaguing the healthcare industry. The initial hypothesis formed will propel us into deeper discussions when we go out and meet professional during the field visits tomorrow.

Before I sign out to prepare for the day tomorrow, I will leave you with the thoughts from Professor Cyril Bouquet, who is leading the “Innovation Lab”, on this week: “What we are going through this week is some sort of organized mess. We need structure and freedom. And it’s a tough balancing act. Too much structure and you become like the army. Too much freedom and you’re like the club med. you need autonomy within the frame”.

Image courtesy:  Process of Innovation by “Sébastien GERBIER”

Linkedin

Whole is greater than the sum of its parts &nbs [#permalink] 23 Apr 2018, 15:00

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9    Next  [ 180 posts ] 

IMD MBA Admissions and Related Blogs!

new topic post reply Update application status  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap