GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 12 Nov 2018, 20:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Mindful MBA

November 13, 2018

November 13, 2018

12:00 PM AST

01:00 PM AST

Join us Nov. 13, 12 PM ET for the Mindfulness Series, Fall 2018 - Energize. The final session of a three-part series.
  • 4 Steps to a 5 Star Recommendation

November 14, 2018

November 14, 2018

09:00 AM PST

10:00 AM PST

Nov. 14, 9 AM PST. Donna Bauman, Senior MBA Admissions Counselor and Lisa Cummings, MBA Admissions Counselor at Stratus have read tens of THOUSANDS of MBA recommendations during their time on top MBA admissions committees.

IMD MBA Admissions and Related Blogs!

new topic post reply Update application status  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
ICP digitalization time in Norway  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2018, 02:00
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: ICP digitalization time in Norway
In Norway winter comes early. As we drive through a picturesque landscape on our way to Kongsberg, we realize that temperatures are already below the freezing point.

Our client for the ICP project is TechnipFMC, a leading service provider for the energy industry. Walking into their facility, we quickly realize how its warm atmosphere contrasts with the temperatures outside. Jens is our point of contact in the company and he has organized a comprehensive three-day session in which we will meet the orchestrators of TechniFMC digitalization agenda. Most of us are new to their complex projects, but our attention is quickly captured by the passion and the competence of our hosts, if it was not for their busy agenda we would probably keep them until nightfall.

As our understanding of the company and their objectives increases, we can make connections to the learnings and the tools we acquired this year, and gradually realise the added value we can bring through the project.

Later in the day, we take a walk through the freezing air of Kongsberg to meet Jens and our sponsor Ann-Christin for dinner, and discuss the key learnings from the visit. The excitement is palpable, and we align on presenting our findings to our hosts before leaving back to Lausanne.

We leave Kongsberg with a sense of accomplishment and the awareness that we will have to work hard to deliver an outstanding outcome. Our target will be to define how TechnipFMC’s “Digital Ecosystem” could evolve in the coming years and, to do so, we will explore different industries and sectors. Jens is satisfied by our primary selection of industries to benchmark with, and we have come up with some ideas, but our work will need several more hours and countless coffee cups before we can put the IMD stamp on it. Not only are we confident of our skills to deliver a job which will bring additional value to the company, but we are also grateful to have a leading expert as faculty leader, Prof. Michael Wade is already helping us in defining the next steps, focusing our research and connecting with experts.

Driving back to the airport we feel satisfied about our visit. We are aware that significant work still lays ahead, but we are convinced we can deliver an outstanding result. Kongsberg and its pine forests are left behind, and we already feel nostalgic about the place and the contagious energy we encountered. It is now time to go back to Lausanne and to do our part. It is a warmer afternoon today in Norway, a bright sun is back in the sky. Perhaps Winter can wait a bit longer.

The TechnipFMC ICP team: Anish, Andrea, Sonia, Praveen, Rodrigo, plus Ann Christin and Jens at the local restaurant where we ate.

Andrea Bertino

LinkedIn

ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Coucou!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2018, 02:00
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: Coucou!
Our lovely Oriane Perryman-Holt, from France, offers today’s post, with some interesting stats!

We talk about #IMDimpact so let’s measure it through “Ori’s KPIs”:

“Coucou” to great classmates with energy and enthusiasm

Hours debating in our team “dungeons” learning from each, other sustained by …

…578
Coffees “at Mireille” to get out of the bubble

Hello & Goodbye kisses as per Swiss use of 3 each time

Handwritten notes on my iPad plus some drawings

Cases and add one third for consulting interview prep’, sure it will pay off!

Movenpick® ice-cream scoops this summer to fuel the 7500 meters swam in preparation for the relay triathlon, not forgetting the two 10K races

Different CVs reshuffling my 7-years’ experience in corporate finance and internal audit, managing international projects in 3 industries

Bananas as breakfast

Networking events to connect with the alumni – across the years, we all share the same core experience – and find a way to my dream job

Crypto-kitties to apply the finance class on blockchain

Hours consulting for a start-up and now for a Pharma company, bringing new excitement and insights

Classmates amazing, challenging and motivating me every day

Motorbike licence

Job yet ; enjoying the journey and curious to discover the destination

I knew this year was due to be a stretch, but I would not have anticipated all of the above.

Bisous,

Oriane

LinkedIn
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Sailing Santa Margherita  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2018, 21:00
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: Sailing Santa Margherita
A few days ago, 11 of my MBA classmates, 4 alumni and I had the chance to participate in the MBA Bocconi Regatta in Santa Margherita Italy, one of the top MBA sports meetings of the year, and an opportunity to meet people from other prestigious business schools.

Most importantly, it was a true stretching teamwork and leadership experience that could not have been “taught in a classroom nor induced through group assignments in an MBA class setting”, as Hassan, one of my crew members, highlights it. “There’s something about being on a sail boat with 6 of your classmates and an alumni in the middle of the Ligurian Sea, competing for Regatta glory by carefully pulling ropes and forcing tight maneuvers to get ahead of the competition, that brings home what teamwork is all about. It’s observing your crew, anticipating issues, being available to them, reinforcing communication, and giving your best that matters when the horn sounds and the boats set sail.”

What was particular about our setup was the lack of sailing experience of most of us MBAs. This was a real challenge given that safety, on top of performance, was at stake.  Martina, recalls that, “Every wrong maneuverer was immediately visible, no mistake was forgiven.”

So how did it play out for us? The truth is that Daniel and Claude, our skippers and IMD’s alumni from 2014 and 2017, played a pivotal role in our success. In less than 3 days, we managed to pull two crews together, get up to speed and perform.

“Daniel and Claude were not “only” skippers, they were leaders who gained our respect by leveraging the talent which each single individual brought in, by staying calm in tense situations and by focusing on our learning experience and development. Martina.

From our skippers perspective, the Regatta was also a stretch, as Daniel Emeka (MBA 2014) highlights:

” I had to bear in mind that since we didn’t have time to practice much I would be relying on people taking initiative within prescribed limits and a framework. Both Claude and myself made sure we held an initial briefing, and sought to reassign where we thought roles weren’t aligned with requirements and break the entire sailing experience into phases such as getting in and out of the harbor versus racing (third phase) which had a different set of roles. The team then only had to think one phase at a time and focus on those tasks.

The team had heightened IQ and EQ, so they quickly picked up on concepts like wind direction and tacking/gybing (it helped that there were quite a few engineers) as well as self-motivation, team dynamics management, …and waiting for the right moments to bring up issues. This really added to the morale and kept us focused on important things for prolonged periods. As for the usual rookie mistakes, we got the course wrong once, misjudged weather patterns, sometimes didn’t notice some problems early enough. But these were all corrected for and no mistake was made twice”

From Claude’s (MBA 2017) perspective:

“For the second time in two years, I had the chance to be on the IMD racing boat for the MBA Bocconi regatta as skipper. Unlike last year, I was not familiar with most of the crew members who were current MBA students. Getting a crew of seven to perform coordinated specialized activities in the limited space of a boat with the pressure of competitors like Harvard, MIT, INSEAD, HEC, and Chicago is a thrilling and sensational challenge. For the boat to move, turn, and accelerate, everyone needs to know his/her role and objectives, communicate effectively, and understand how to react to unexpected events. The learning curve is steep, and the crew needs to take risks and dare to make decisions with a limited amount of information and time. After a few initial adjustments, we were able to improve our maneuvers, increase speed, and reduce reaction time. And after the first race, I had already forgotten that I wasn’t part of this class: it felt like we were one team and that I knew the crew as well as I knew my classmates last year. Unfortunately, we did not win the regatta, but we don’t need to be on top of rankings to be successful. And for me success, was creating meaningful human bonds with 2018 class, enjoying the time together and leaving in some of them a bit of my passion for sailing.”

This Regatta remains one of the most symbolic, memorable and sensational events of our MBA experience, and a great sports tradition I would like to help future classes maintain and improve. On behalf of the sailing team #Daniel, #Claude, #Filippo, #Chiara, #Gaspar, #Pallavi, #Martina, #Shingo, #Juho, #Hassan, #Lauren, #Irian, #Fabiana #Ana and #Elena and the MBA sports committee, I would like to say a BIG THANK YOU to our dean Sean Meehan, and the MBA staff for their support in making this happen!

Sara, for the MBA Sports Committee

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Impressions from a Thai perspective  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2018, 06:00
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: Impressions from a Thai perspective
“The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dream” is a quote by Eleanor Roosevelt. I have lived my life with determination, trying to do things I have never done before.

Going back to 2017, I came to Switzerland for the assessment and immediately knew that this was the place where I wanted to do my MBA. “Why an MBA?” is the question that everybody asked, including the admission office. Personally, I thought that this would be a period where I could give time to myself, a moment to rethink whether the path I’ve walked my entire 28 years is correct and a moment to have a proper holiday – an opportunity I will probably no longer have until retirement.

Now, here I stand at IMD, one of the most prestigious b-schools in the world. I may have thought incorrectly about the holiday because IMD has been keeping us students very busy! Maybe that’s because it’s a one-year program, which is good as it’s not too time-consuming and is wallet-friendly.

IMD is known for its leadership-stream. I used to wonder how leadership would actually be taught and what made it stand out from the crowd. After the first module was done, I became enlightened. I should have realized long before though as IMD makes sure that students get the best out of their tuition. The environment makes sure that everyone can take the lead and knows how to work with people from different cultures, but more importantly, everyone is a secure base for you. I don’t know where and when I will find a risk-free environment again like one I have found at IMD.

Apart from academics, outside of school life has been fantastic. Opposite IMD is Lac Leman, aka Lake Geneva. On weekends in summer, people from everywhere come to walk around the lake. Why? Because it’s very beautiful. The banner photo should speak for itself. I also explore the area by bike. The scenery is impressive and it’s very safe.  Drivers are always aware of cyclists as Swiss people cycle routinely.  I don’t know where else it will be so safe to cycle, definitely not in my home country, Thailand.

Since Switzerland is located in the centre of Europe, it’s convenient to go other countries. Evian, France is only 20 minutes away by boat. One of the memorable things that I and my classmates have done is go to see the 2018 Italian Grand Prix in Monza. It was my first time to see the F1 race, and it’s definitely worth going. As I was walking to the track, I heard the race cars screaming loudly. On the stand, Ferrari crowds cheered Sebestian Vettel and Kimi Raikonen, hoping they would win. Too bad for them, Lewis Hamilton won the race, so Mercedes fanboys became happy. Lastly, a car enthusiastic like me can’t be happier as Nordschleife is only one hour away. People from everywhere in the world are eager to drive here at least once in their life. I was absolutely thrilled by the experience, especially by the steering wheel making turns. The Raggazon exhaust screamed as I accelerated and the tires screeched as I turned.

Korbchai
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Innovation comes to pharma!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2018, 04:00
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: Innovation comes to pharma!
ICP’s are up and running and all my classmates have been traveling around the world or into the dungeons to deliver their projects. My teammates and I have been tasked with helping a pharma company bring business model innovation to the market.

My lovely teammates and our faculty coach, from left to right Oriane, Jaime, Goutam, me, Irina and Roy
During the last 5 weeks we have been located at our clients headquarters, discovering pharmaceutical industry from the inside and learning about the peculiarities of our clients business and company culture.

Like most consulting projects ours started with tons of research and interviews, and developed through the delineation  of the deliverables.  Through this project we’ve had the opportunity of not only addressing a real business issue but also applying and seeing why all the concepts we learned this year such as scoping and stakeholder management matter so much. We’ve had a lot of fun together, supported each other through difficult times (try delivering a project while searching for a job) and kept developing our team working and leadership skills.

All in all this is a great learning opportunity and experience, that can only be rivaled by the happiness we have when we get to work from IMD every once in while and see again our classmates (and have wonderful IMD food).

Joyce
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Life of Consultants – Team Big  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2018, 07:00
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: Life of Consultants – Team Big
It’s now 5 weeks into the 7-week ICP, and over this period our team of 5 has lived an extraordinary life of consultants – working together, working remotely, travelling all over Europe- oh yes! we got our hands on some authentic paellas and pizzas – and then back again to the client.

Also coming constantly back to IMD, as a secure base, not just geographically but also in terms of what we learnt throughout various courses this year.

It goes without saying that the art of consulting is not just in the facts and figures but also in people coming together as a team and bringing in diverse perspectives to add value to the client. I have seen my team evolve from being a group of individuals to a high impact, creative, smart team. It makes me feel proud of all that we have done together with our ups and downs. I look back with fondness on all the fun we had in our study room with the air conditioning always not working, collectively weird allergies and our ever supportive ICP Director, Salvatore.

Who knew that working with the flooring industry could be so much fun, especially when you get access to the world of mouth-watering Belgian chocolates and fries every time you visit. It is amazing how our team has earned the reputation for keeping chocolates in the dungeons (study rooms)!

The ICP, as well as the year at IMD, is soon coming to an end, but these memories that we have made and the learnings from this experience will always be close to my heart.

Our team: Muhammad, Sakshi, Pedro, Ash and Lauren.

– Sakshi
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Life of Consultants  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2018, 09:00
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: Life of Consultants
It’s now 5 weeks into the 7-week ICP, and over this period our team of 5 has lived an extraordinary life of consultants – working together, working remotely, travelling all over Europe- oh yes! we got our hands on some authentic paellas and pizzas – and then back again to the client.

Also coming constantly back to IMD, as a secure base, not just geographically but also in terms of what we learnt throughout various courses this year.

It goes without saying that the art of consulting is not just in the facts and figures but also in people coming together as a team and bringing in diverse perspectives to add value to the client. I have seen my team evolve from being a group of individuals to a high impact, creative, smart team. It makes me feel proud of all that we have done together with our ups and downs. I look back with fondness on all the fun we had in our study room with the air conditioning always not working, collectively weird allergies and our ever supportive ICP Director, Salvatore.

Who knew that working with the flooring industry could be so much fun, especially when you get access to the world of mouth-watering Belgian chocolates and fries every time you visit. It is amazing how our team has earned the reputation for keeping chocolates in the dungeons (study rooms)!

The ICP, as well as the year at IMD, is soon coming to an end, but these memories that we have made and the learnings from this experience will always be close to my heart.

Our team: Muhammad, Sakshi, Pedro, Ash and Lauren.

– Sakshi
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Let there be light!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2018, 10:00
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: Let there be light!
As I looked outside my hotel window into the horizon on the eve of Diwali, a million lights glimmered at me and made me wonder about the power of precious light and the hope that it brings along with it. They say that one must know the darkness before you can really appreciate the light. There were several instances in the last ten months when everything around seemed completely bleak and dim. However, I realized over time that wherever my story takes me, however dark and difficult the theme, there is always some hope because I’m an optimist at heart and there is always always light at the end of a menacing dark night!

The most famous and brightest festival in India, Diwali, also popularly known as the “Festival of Lights” reaffirms the same and celebrates the victory of light over darkness, goodness over evil and hope for the future. As per the Hindi mythology, it is associated with the return of Lord Rama to his kingdom, after his 14 years of exile and victory over the demon Ravana. On that day, he was welcomed to the kingdom of Ayodhya with rows of earthen lamps, lightened throughout the kingdom.

To me, it has always symbolized five days of non-stop family time, delicious sweets, flamboyant decorations, glimmering lights, fiery crackers, traditional clothes and lots and lots of celebrations with the excitement building up weeks and months in advance. For the first time in last 33 years, I was not at home for Diwali and realized the importance of times I would take so much for granted Image
I was in Abu Dhabi finishing the last bits of our International Consulting Project as the rest of my classmates are doing all over the world.

We are a group of 19 Indians in the IMD batch of 2018 and as the biggest Indian festival, Diwali holds a different meaning and importance for each one of us.  To Kshitij, Diwali signifies hope and confidence, the victory of good over evil and of course teen patti (popular Indian Card game) and firecrackers. Shubham, who moved to Berlin five years ago, feels that the day of Diwali has a profound effect on him and even when he is physically away from home, no other day of the year reminds him of his roots as much as Diwali does. He also says that “Diwali fills my heart with joy, like no other day in the year. It reminds me of all the little things that make it special – the childhood memories, things leading up to it, the morning rituals with family, the evening fun with friends, lights, colors, sounds.” For my lovely friend Sakshi, “Diwali has been the most special festival with family time, fun time, Indian sweets, especially the amazing lights”.

And while we all have our own special connotation attached to this festival, Ashish summarizes Diwali through the following Bengali quote,“असतो मा साद गमय, तमसो मा ज्योतिर् गमय, मृत्योर मा अमृतम् गमय” (From untruth, lead us to Truth, from darkness, lead us to Light, from death, lead us to Immortality).

Some Pictures from our pre -Diwali Indian Bash in Lausanne

End of ICP celebration and Diwali lunch with my lovely ICP team:

Till next time,

Neharika

Linkedin
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Talking about a generation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2018, 02:00
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: Talking about a generation
Making generalizations about an entire generation is a perilous exercise. Stereotypes are not helpful! That being said, for employers, cracking the Millenial code is essential to recruiting – and retaining – new talent.

This week, a panel of five MBAs had a lively dialogue with the participants of the IMD Transformation Summit, an event for Chief Human Resources Officers (CHROs). What better way to dispel stereotypes than to bring generations together in the same room?

Here were some of the hot button topics in this week’s discussion of Millenials in the workplace: Bosses, job offers, patience, purpose, ambition and loyalty.

What is your idea of a good boss?

• Someone who creates a mentoring and coaching relationship. Someone who explains the “why.”
  • Authentic, honest about the pros and cons of the company and the role I am being recruited for. During the job interview process, it’s important to create trust. It should be a dual exchange and not just being evaluated on a checklist.
What would make you reject an employment proposal?

• A lack of transparency in terms of where and when decisions get made in the company.

There has to be fairness and also recognition.
  • It’s about mindset. I love to challenge the status quo. I like smaller brands, not a big, successful company.
  • It’s essential to have responsibility and room to manoeuvre. I need space and safety to develop ideas.
  • I need to feel a passion for what I do, passion for the product.
How long are you willing to wait until you get to the leadership role you’re aiming for (whatever your ambition is in terms of the level of leadership role)?

• I’m flexible, as long as I can keep growing. It’s about assembling building blocks for the future. I’m looking for a role where I’m completely utilized, where my talents are used.
What big thing would you change in the business world?

• Short-termism. When you have profit targets, going quarter to quarter limits your options.
Millenials are perceived as being less loyal to the companies they work for and more likely to move around a lot. Is this true? How do you see loyalty?

• I’m loyal to my co-workers and my boss, but with the company it’s a contract.
What are you looking for in terms of work-life balance and job evolution?

• A more fluid and flexible schedule: if my task, output and time frame are clear, it makes sense for me to organize myself in the way that suits me best to deliver.
  • I’d like the possibility to move in 3D (industry, geography, function) and to have transversal roles.
Imagine we are a company undergoing a transformation from a traditional and hierarchical organization to a new model. How do we retain you though this process? Inspire you?

• Show me that there is light at the end of the tunnel: create a career plan for me, map the steps clearly.
  • Be honest and open about the realities of the transformation.
  • Seeing progress is important – even small progress. Show the plan for change. Demonstrate that you’re implementing feedback.
  • The company has to make sure the flame is still there!
Chairing the discussion was Jennifer Jordan, Professor of Leadership and Organizational Behaviour. To frame the discussion, Professor Jordan gave an overview of the unique characteristics of Millenials (see Cracking the Millenial Code). For example, Millenials are the first generation brought up with a child-focussed and emotional style that arose from 1960s counter-culture. They are also the first to grow up in a rich media environment offering complex and non-linear computer games. Values also differ: when asked to choose an object that represents freedom to them, Baby Boomers choose the car whereas Millenials choose the mobile phone, closely followed by sneakers!

Anouk Lavoie

IMD Research Associate

“It was very beneficial to be part of the panel as I had the opportunity to debate what the main challenges are that companies have attracting Millennial talent. I felt that companies have this matter on the top of their agenda, and are striving to create environments where Millennials can have a meaningful career.”

David Ruiz

IMD MBA 2018 Candidate
GMAT Club Bot
Talking about a generation &nbs [#permalink] 09 Nov 2018, 02:00

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   [ 209 posts ] 

IMD MBA Admissions and Related Blogs!

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap