Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 21:04 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 21:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [2]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
VP
VP
Affiliations: MBAkarma
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [2]
Given Kudos: 28
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1585 [2]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Send PM
Re: Profile evaluation for Harvard 2+2 program [#permalink]
MBAkarma wrote:
Hello librega

Aim for a higher GMAT (750+) and more than the laundry list of activities (which look interesting on paper btw) showcase depth in one or two- what major contribution or impact have you had in these.
Goals need to be more specific- tying in with a long term vision of your career- what you have mentioned are courses. You can read more here on career goals and hereon what comprises of a strong profile.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

librega wrote:
Hi,
I would really appreciate a profile evaluation for my candidacy for Harvard 2+2, comments and feedbacks are more than welcome. I plan to apply next year.

College: one of the IITs
Cgpa: 8/10
Major: Chemical Engg
GMAT: 730

Internships done and experiences :
-Worked as a marketing strategist for an international NGO
-Worked as an business associate for a medium sized social e-commerce firm.
-Summer Exchange student at a top American design institute (completely covered by my college)
-Coordinator and founder of institute's E-cell
-Founder and coordinator of an event aimed to provide platform to innovators
-Founding member of automotive club
-Been in the core team of institutes festivals
-Have attended international peace summits
-Tedx coordinator
-Campus ambassador for an international competition
-Have travelled across several States of India to survey the small scale businesses as part of a project.
-have done projects in the field of product design and system design

Future goals and interests : Entrepreneurship, organisation structure, strategy, CSR.

I have listed all the information that I think could be relevant for my candidacy, if there's anything else that could better aid your evaluation, I would be happy to provide it.

Appreciate your evaluation! :)
Thanks alot Varun!
Those articles were really helpful in getting your point straight out.
I want to work as a strategy consultant in the future. I mentioned those topics just to lay out some of my interests.
Thanks again! :)

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GyanOne wrote:
librega wrote:
Hi,
I would really appreciate a profile evaluation for my candidacy for Harvard 2+2, comments and feedbacks are more than welcome. I plan to apply next year.

-Summer Exchange student at a top American design institute (completely covered by my college)
-Tedx coordinator
-Have travelled across several States of India to survey the small scale businesses as part of a project.

Future goals and interests : Entrepreneurship, organisation structure, strategy, CSR.

I have listed all the information that I think could be relevant for my candidacy, if there's anything else that could better aid your evaluation, I would be happy to provide it.

Hi

What are your goals and why do you want to pursue this program? Early career MBAs, and HBS, will focus very closely at what makes you wish to pursue a program so early in your career. While you have mentioned your interests, you need to narrow down to one focus area, consistent with your achievements so far.
Hey Gyanone,
Thank you so much for your feedback! :)
I would like to pursue my career in strategy consulting.
And as for my achievements lining up with it, it comes pretty well in a story because they all are interrelated :) I don't think I was able to get that out in the post, apologies for the same.
Luckily or unluckily for me, the first 'assignemnt' I took up for my strategy consulting is setting up an entrepreneurial environment and a wind for social change in my institute.
I'll keep your advice of showing the consistancy in the final goal and the path when I do apply for the school :)

Thanks alot! :D

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 650 Q42 V38
GRE 1: Q161 V164
Send PM
Kudos
Honestly while this is not a bad profile, it seems like you are the typical Indian applicant, who is extremely smart and accomplished in science- but without any notable stand out achievements. Based on that, I'd say that your applying with this profile can't be higher than a 50% chance of getting in.

Perhaps you should consider a campus visit, or doing some networking with the adcom at the very least in order for your personality to shine through a bit better. Alternatively, you could sign up for an hbx class, which I know some people have done to boost their chances of getting into Harvard. I have no idea if that strategy works at all though...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
matayo wrote:
Honestly while this is not a bad profile, it seems like you are the typical Indian applicant, who is extremely smart and accomplished in science- but without any notable stand out achievements. Based on that, I'd say that your applying with this profile can't be higher than a 50% chance of getting in.

Perhaps you should consider a campus visit, or doing some networking with the adcom at the very least in order for your personality to shine through a bit better. Alternatively, you could sign up for an hbx class, which I know some people have done to boost their chances of getting into Harvard. I have no idea if that strategy works at all though...
Hey Matayo!

Thanks for your valuable advice. You got some new information on the table! :)

I understand what you're saying, it's the cliche Indian profile of Indian iit engineer who's been involved in clubs. I'm aware of that, and that's exactly what scares me!

I had a question though, when you say stand out achievements does it mean winning competitions, starting a start-up etc? Or can it simply be starting a club and then building it from the ground up?

And as for networking with the adcom, I did some research abt it on the forum and it seems it doesn't play a huge role, esp for hbs. And even if it does is there a way to do so without visiting the campus?

Visiting hbs is a good idea, and I did visit it this summer, but I don't think be able to do that again (a bit too far for a short trip).

Hbx is a completely new point! I'll dig further into it!

Thanks alot! :)

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Kudos
Hi,

GMAT: 710

Internships are done and experiences :
-Worked as a business associate for a medium sized social e-commerce firm.
-Founder and coordinator of an event aimed to provide a platform to innovators
-Founding member of the automotive club
-Tedx coordinator
-Have traveled across the several States of India to survey the small-scale businesses as part of a project.

Future goals and interests: Entrepreneurship, organization structure, strategy, CSR.

VP
VP
Affiliations: MBAkarma
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Hello JoshuaHampton

Did you just copy the entire post written by librega above (except the GMAT score)?
Not sure if this is a mistake.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
Free Profile Review
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

JoshuaHampton wrote:
Hi,

GMAT: 710

Internships are done and experiences :
-Worked as a business associate for a medium sized social e-commerce firm.
-Founder and coordinator of an event aimed to provide a platform to innovators
-Founding member of the automotive club
-Tedx coordinator
-Have traveled across the several States of India to survey the small-scale businesses as part of a project.

Future goals and interests: Entrepreneurship, organization structure, strategy, CSR.

CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1585 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
librega wrote:
GyanOne wrote:
librega wrote:
Hi,

-Tedx coordinator

Hi

What are your goals and why do you want to pursue this program? Early career MBAs, and HBS, will focus very closely at what makes you wish to pursue a program so early in your career. While you have mentioned your interests, you need to narrow down to one focus area, consistent with your achievements so far.
Hey Gyanone,
Thank you so much for your feedback! :)
I would like to pursue my career in strategy consulting.
And as for my achievements lining up with it, it comes pretty well in a story because they all are interrelated :) I don't think I was able to get that out in the post, apologies for the same.
Luckily or unluckily for me, the first 'assignemnt' I took up for my strategy consulting is setting up an entrepreneurial environment and a wind for social change in my institute.
I'll keep your advice of showing the consistancy in the final goal and the path when I do apply for the school :)

Thanks alot! :D

Hi librega

Thanks for your response. While your achievements certainly show leadership acumen and an interest in entrepreneurship, we don't see too much there that is really aligned to strategy consulting per se. Do you have some internships in strategy consulting or some projects which demonstrate this acumen? Setting up the entrepreneurial environment or leading social change is great, but it would be more leadership oriented. You would still be (based on the information provided in your post) missing the business insight and problem-solving acumen you would need to showcase yourself as a great fit with strategy consulting.

In any case, strategy consulting as a goal will be a weak one for programs such as the HBS 2+2. These programs are looking for high-potential budding business leaders who can create unique value through an early career MBA program at the world's best business school(s). Strategy consulting is something you could achieve through any good MBA program. There is no urgency for getting an MBA to achieve that goal.

Don't mean to criticize your goals or planning, but evaluating for gaps is our job.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
GyanOne wrote:
Hi librega

Thanks for your response. While your achievements certainly show leadership acumen and an interest in entrepreneurship, we don't see too much there that is really aligned to strategy consulting per se. Do you have some internships in strategy consulting or some projects which demonstrate this acumen? Setting up the entrepreneurial environment or leading social change is great, but it would be more leadership oriented. You would still be (based on the information provided in your post) missing the business insight and problem-solving acumen you would need to showcase yourself as a great fit with strategy consulting.

In any case, strategy consulting as a goal will be a weak one for programs such as the HBS 2+2. These programs are looking for high-potential budding business leaders who can create unique value through an early career MBA program at the world's best business school(s). Strategy consulting is something you could achieve through any good MBA program. There is no urgency for getting an MBA to achieve that goal.

Don't mean to criticize your goals or planning, but evaluating for gaps is our job.

And you're doing your Job well ! :D

I understand what you're saying, it is the kind of goal that doesn't urgently need an MBA, and certainly not an MBA from a school like Harvard.

As for internships, either of the internships had me working as a strategist, one as an online marketing strategist and the other one as a business strategist.

Now for the main question you've asked, how does an early degree from HBS help me in any way?
I would need to introspect a bit over it, because right now I am all over the place, and if I do try to explain it here I will end up making a mess. (Maybe expect a reply in a day or two?)
I will reflect on it and get back to you!
Thanks again!
Everyone who contributed to the post, it has really helped me see things that I had previously thought I had known well about (Like what do you want to do and why hbs)
You guys are awesome ! :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [1]
Given Kudos: 208
Send PM
Kudos
Hi guys, please I need answers on this. Is it unacceptable to have an economics masters degree from a top school while applying for HBS 2+2 program?

I'm about to do a masters in development economics, but I intend to apply to HBS later on. Should I step on the brake now, or hit the accelerator with no worries?
Help needed, thanks!
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1585 [1]
Send PM