Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 16:20 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 16:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32950 [10]
Given Kudos: 5780
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMATClub
Own Kudos [?]: 8833 [0]
Given Kudos: 3034
GRE 1: Q168 V154
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Education)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 158 [3]
Given Kudos: 818
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 2.84
WE:Other (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32950 [3]
Send PM
Re: Recent research into antibiotic-resistant bacterial strains suggests t [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Official Explanation

1. The passage is primarily concerned with

Difficulty Level: 700

Explanation

(A) discussing research into the symptoms of bacterial infections
Incorrect. The passage mentions only that symptoms can resolve without treatment; the symptoms themselves are not discussed.

(B) explaining a change in the frequency with which antibacterial therapy is prescribed
Incorrect. The author appears to be advocating a reduction in the use of antibacterial therapy, but nothing in the passage indicates that doctors are already prescribing this therapy more or less often than before.

(C) contrasting the views of doctors and medical researchers with respect to prescribing drugs
Incorrect. The first paragraph does present information that might seem to imply a difference of opinion between doctors and researchers, but the passage says nothing about the actual views of doctors or medical researchers. Further, the passage limits itself to one particular class of drugs; it does not address the prescription of any/all drugs.

(D) questioning the routine prescription of antibiotics for bacterial infections
CORRECT. Both the first and last sentences of the passage make it clear that the author wants doctors to be more careful about prescribing antibiotics. This fits the simple story: the first paragraph presents research to support this opinion, and the second acknowledges other causes of the “superbug” problem before reiterating that antibiotic use for infections is still an issue.

(E) contending that physicians need to be more careful about distinguishing between viral and bacterial infections
Incorrect. This is tempting. The passage does mention both viral and bacterial infections. Doesn’t this mean that the author thinks doctors need to be careful here, too? Possibly, but the passage never says so explicitly. In any case, you don’t need to get into that much detail to eliminate an answer like this on primary purpose questions. This answer choice doesn’t address antibiotic therapy, which is central to the simple story.

The only answer that fits with the simple story is answer (D). Take a moment to look back: how might you have eliminated each incorrect answer quickly and definitively?

(A) Symptoms? Not discussed.
(B) What change?
(C) This passage is not about all drugs.
(E) Viral vs. bacterial? Not the overall point.

2. The studies cited in the first paragraph suggest which of the following about antibacterial therapy?

Difficulty Level: 750

Explanation

The second question asks about the studies in the first paragraph. Some of the answers are very detailed, but it’s certainly okay to make a quick pass to look for an answer that matches the simple story. If nothing turns up, then go back and analyze the details.

(A) It frequently leads to infection with NDM-1.
Yikes—I don’t know! I skimmed the info about NDM-1. Come back later.

(B) It is not generally used to treat minor bacterial infections.
They said it is used to treat minor infections—it only reduces treatment time by a couple of days. This one’s wrong.

(C) It may help to reduce the incidence of “superbugs” that are especially hard to treat.
I don’t know. Come back later.

(D) Reducing the rate at which such therapy is used would cause fewer bacteria to develop resistance to antibiotics.
I don’t know. Come back later.

(E) Its short-term benefits, if they exist, may not outweigh the potential harm to the broader population.
CORRECT. The paragraph does mention that such therapy might reduce the illness by one to two days. This could be a short-term benefit, but the author minimizes this benefit and goes on to discuss a much worse drawback (the superbug). That all fits with the simple story and the first paragraph.

It’s sometimes possible to find the right answer even if you don’t yet know why some of the wrong ones are wrong. On the real test, pick (E) and move on. When you’re studying, go back afterwards to learn why answers (A), (C), and (D) are wrong.

(A) It frequently leads to infection with NDM-1.
Incorrect. The passage does say that patients who have used antibiotics within the past 5 years are more likely to pick up these “superbugs,” but it doesn’t indicate how often this happens, especially in the case of NDM-1 in particular. Perhaps this bug is still very rare.

(C) It may help to reduce the incidence of “superbugs” that are especially hard to treat.
Incorrect. This paragraph mentions nothing about what causes the incidence of superbugs to decrease. In fact, the story hinges on the idea that these superbugs are increasing, so this answer contradicts the story.

(D) Reducing the rate at which such therapy is used would cause fewer bacteria to develop resistance to antibiotics.
Incorrect. This is tempting! The question points you specifically to the first paragraph, though, and the first paragraph does not discuss what causes bacteria to become antibiotic resistant. (The second paragraph does touch on this a bit, but it does not discuss how antibacterial therapy might contribute to this phenomenon—read the question carefully!)

Hope it Helps
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 240
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.95
WE:Real Estate (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Recent research into antibiotic-resistant bacterial strains suggests t [#permalink]
Sajjad1994 Nikhil

I went through the solution posted by you, however, have 1 doubt. Option A says research into the symptoms of bacterial infections i.e research into antibiotic-resistant bacterial strains. This is what passages discussed, can you please help me understand mistake I am making
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32950 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Rickooreo wrote:
Sajjad1994 Nikhil

I went through the solution posted by you, however, have 1 doubt. Option A says research into the symptoms of bacterial infections i.e research into antibiotic-resistant bacterial strains. This is what passages discussed, can you please help me understand mistake I am making

No! this is not what the passage has discussed. Reading the answer choices in the following way might help assess what is correct and what is incorrect.

(A) discussing research bla bla bla
(B) explaining a change in the frequency bla bla bla
(C) contrasting the views of doctors bla bla bla
(D) questioning the routine prescription bla bla bla
(E) contending that physicians need to be more careful bla bla bla

Only the last two options seem related to the passage overall.

Read the first sentence carefully, the rest of the passage is a justification against the first sentence.

Answer: D
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13961 posts