Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 10:57 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 10:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32944 [3]
Given Kudos: 5778
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 139 [0]
Given Kudos: 71
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 161 [2]
Given Kudos: 230
GMAT 1: 530 Q48 V15
GMAT 2: 640 Q48 V30
GMAT 3: 590 Q46 V25
GMAT 4: 600 Q48 V25 (Online)
GMAT 5: 710 Q49 V37
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Re: Anyone who thinks that rabbits make cute and cuddly pets has never own [#permalink]
Kudos
Valhalla wrote:
Could experts please shine some light on
Q3 and Q4
Personal explanation on Q3:
There is no mentioned on depth of tunneling - why is it wrong answer?

Q4:
Drought inhibit plant growth → overestimate the value thus weaken M's study that state that the cost is $3 / rabbit that is it can be lower than $3 / rabbit.

Q3:
Though not mentioned, but rabbits are known for their tunnel making habit which may enable them to cross the boundary defined in the experiment.

Q4:
Here he talks about the percentage of the whole crop. Drought or no drought rabbits can still affect that percentage. But the entry of a predator will remove rabbits which will reduce the percentage of harmed crop hence the 'percentage'.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Re: Anyone who thinks that rabbits make cute and cuddly pets has never own [#permalink]
Kudos
4. Which of the following hypothetical situations best exemplifies a potential problem that would most seriously undermine the merit of McKillop’s study?

A. Several rabbits develop a new strain of myxomatosis that renders each completely sterile.
B. Due to a decrease in supply, the price of barley suddenly doubles.
C. It is determined that younger, more energetic rabbits consume almost double the food that an older rabbit does.
D. A rare drought inhibits plant growth in the enclosures for several months.
E. Soon after the experiment begins, a predatory animal finds its way into some of the rabbit enclosures.

I have a confusion. Why not c? from the passage, researcher calculates the dollar value of consumption per rabbit.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
Valhalla wrote:
Could experts please shine some light on
Q3 and Q4
Personal explanation on Q3:
There is no mentioned on depth of tunneling - why is it wrong answer?

Q4:
Drought inhibit plant growth → overestimate the value thus weaken M's study that state that the cost is $3 / rabbit that is it can be lower than $3 / rabbit.

Q3- the text mentions the depth of the Fence

Q4 - rabbit Population will not be Constant with Predator inside fence
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
srnaga wrote:
4. Which of the following hypothetical situations best exemplifies a potential problem that would most seriously undermine the merit of McKillop’s study?

A. Several rabbits develop a new strain of myxomatosis that renders each completely sterile.
C. It is determined that younger, more energetic rabbits consume almost double the food that an older rabbit does.
E. Soon after the experiment begins, a predatory animal finds its way into some of the rabbit enclosures.

I have a confusion. Why not c? from the passage, researcher calculates the dollar value of consumption per rabbit.

I share your objections, however the text tells you that they are all same sex and isolated for three years. Therefore, fair to say that - over the the course of the study - average consumption per rabbit will be the same.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2055 [0]
Given Kudos: 174
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT 2: 770 Q51 V42
Send PM
Hi srnaga, surbhi1991 Welcome to the GMAT Club!

With regards to Q4 -

I had similar reservations while attempting the question. However, on second thought the passage does mention "on average" a rabbit consumes 300 pounds of grass per year.

Quote:
The average rabbit ate almost 300 pounds of grass in one year
and hence this accounts for all kinds of rabbits : Young and old. So the age bias is taken care of in the experiment.

Let me know if this makes sense.

Regards,
Gladi

srnaga wrote:

Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 531 [0]
Given Kudos: 4092
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 620 Q47 V30
GMAT 3: 650 Q48 V31
GPA: 3.1
WE:Corporate Finance (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Gladiator59 wrote:
Hi srnaga, surbhi1991 Welcome to the GMAT Club!

With regards to Q4 -

I had similar reservations while attempting the question. However, on second thought the passage does mention "on average" a rabbit consumes 300 pounds of grass per year.

Quote:
The average rabbit ate almost 300 pounds of grass in one year
and hence this accounts for all kinds of rabbits : Young and old. So the age bias is taken care of in the experiment.

Let me know if this makes sense.

Regards,
Gladi

srnaga wrote:

Hi gladi,

But, the rabbits used in experiment were segregated on basis of sex. We also know that they were isolated. I think C was a logical err in the aurthor's reasoning and hence a weakener.

Just because the average was stated does not mean that the rabbits used in experiment accounted for the general consumptio. My point being, C makes the experiment a flawed one.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2055 [1]
Given Kudos: 174
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT 2: 770 Q51 V42
Send PM
Kudos
Hey SouljaBoi,

The crux of what I was saying is - We need to find the strongest weakener among the given options. If a predator got into the enclosure and started preying on the rabbits, the calculations ( based upon the assumption of a fixed population of rabbits) would fall apart. This would be the biggest weakener of the argument.

On the other hand, if younger rabbits do consume more than older rabbits do, we can fairly assume that it would be taken care of due to the fact that the average rabbit is considered. You do have a point about only male rabbits being used in the experiment but that is a long shot. Among the given options - the predator one is strongest.

Let me know your thoughts.

BEst,
Gladi

ShankSouljaBoi wrote:

Hi gladi,

But, the rabbits used in experiment were segregated on basis of sex. We also know that they were isolated. I think C was a logical err in the aurthor's reasoning and hence a weakener.

Just because the average was stated does not mean that the rabbits used in experiment accounted for the general consumptio. My point being, C makes the experiment a flawed one.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8811 [2]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Took almost 10 mins, including 4 mins 30 seconds to read.

1. Which of the following statements best sums up the purpose of McKillop’s experiment?
B. He set out to express the damage inflicted by rabbits on farmers' crops in a more tangible, monetary sense. - Correct
Until now, no one had undertaken to quantify the annual cost to a farmer's output for which a single rabbit is accountable.

2. The passage supplies information about each of the following EXCEPT

A. the population density of rabbits - Incorrect - ... until one considers that most grasslands are home to as many as forty rabbits per acre.
B. the best way to prevent rabbits from decimating a certain crop - Correct
C. the duration of McKiIlop’s study - Incorrect - During his three-year study
D. the rate at which rabbits normally reproduce - Incorrect - Shooting and trapping rabbits is too time-consuming and inefficient to keep up with the approximate 2 percent increase in rabbit populations every year
E. the amount of grass usually grown annually upon a hectare of land - Incorrect - The average rabbit ate almost 300 pounds of grass in one year, which reduced the yield of one hectare (about two and a half acres) by half a percent

Answer B

3. Each of the following can be inferred from the passage EXCEPT

A. in the agricultural marketplace, barley is at least twice as expensive as grass - Incorrect - Grass 3$ , barley 7$
B. at one point. myxomatosis and viral hemorrhagic fever were more effective than they are now - Incorrect - most rabbits have developed resistance to viral diseases such as myxomatosis and viral hemorrhagic fever that have been introduced to curb reproduction
C. the power wielded by a certain type of farmer is at least partly influenced by financial impact of that farmer's product - Incorrect - Even the age-old remedy of releasing foxes on the property has been blocked by chicken farmers, whose commodity, according to the Ministry. contributes a almost 14 percent of Britain's gross domestic product.
D. the cost incurred by farmers to rid themselves of large rabbit populations far exceeds the monetary damage done to the farmers' crops - Correct
E. rabbits are unable to tunnel through the ground at a depth that is greater than ten feet - Incorrect - To keep numbers constant, each enclosure was surrounded by fence that was entrenched ten feet into the ground

Answer D

5. in the last paragraph, the author is primarily concerned with

A. exposing a problem to which McKillop‘s study has failed to supply a solution - Correct

Farmers may now be able to attach a dollar value to the crops that rabbits feed on, but they still lack the most important piece of information that Dr- McKiIlop's study did not reveal: how to stop them.

A. Several rabbits develop a new strain of myxomatosis that renders each completely sterile. - Irrelevant - the experiment did not test the reproductive ability as rabbits in an enclosure were of the same sex
B. Due to a decrease in supply, the price of barley suddenly doubles. - Irrelevant - now barley is more expensive than wheat
C. It is determined that younger, more energetic rabbits consume almost double the food that an older rabbit does. - If our rabbit population is skewed in terms of age, then this might undermine the results of the study

D. A rare drought inhibits plant growth in the enclosures for several months. - Irrelevant
E. Soon after the experiment begins, a predatory animal finds its way into some of the rabbit enclosures. - It will depend on our interpretation of the word "some". "Some" can be an insignificant number just more than 1 (out of 100) or it can be a more than 50(a majority)

AjiteshArun , GMATNinja , MagooshExpert , GMATGuruNY , VeritasPrepBrian , MartyMurray , other experts - please enlighten with your thoughts on question 4(C and E)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1322 [0]
Given Kudos: 143
GMAT 1: 670 Q46 V36
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 3: 690 Q48 V37
GMAT 4: 710 Q49 V38 (Online)
Send PM
Got Q4 wrong. I think the answer should be C and not E. Anyway, took 7:20 min in total including 3:30 min to read the passage!

Passage Map:

1) Rabbit -> bad. Causes damage. Study to find the monetary value of damage
2) Experiment details & Result
3) Another result of Wheat, How to stop rabbits?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Kudos
Well guys, first time trying to help another fellow students here. I am hoping to do it well :).

I would say that this is one small text, so you guys should not spend more than 15 minutes in reading + answering.

So, let's go for the questions:

Quote:
1. Which of the following statements best sums up the purpose of McKillop’s experiment?

A. He contrasted several methods for establishing more credible methods for controlling rabbit populations.
B. He set out to express the damage inflicted by rabbits on farmers' crops in a more tangible, monetary sense.
C. He endeavored to prove that rabbits are more destructive than most people perceive them to be.
D. He hoped to determine the crop for which rabbits showed the most ardent appetite.
E. He wanted to portray the rabbit in a less flattering manner.

A.
We see in the end of the passage:
"Farmers may now be able to attach a dollar value to the crops that rabbits feed on, but they still lack the most important piece of information that Dr- McKiIlop's study did not reveal: how to stop them."
So, A is out.

B.
In the entire passage the author show to us this. Let's keep it for now.

C.
We can see that Gordon McKillop only appear after the author convince us that the rabbits can be a real problem. So, the study is not for showing this.
C is out.

D.
This one can confuse us a little.
See in the passage:
"just finished a study that monitored the appetites of rabbits let loose to graze on several crops. As a result, farmers can gauge rabbit damage more effectively, allowing them to anticipate the mom (money) they will lose and make necessary compensation. "
But, after reading the whole passage is clear that he is talking about the costs, not the kind of crop.

E.
Well, I am not able to show how much this is wrong. Hopefully this is obvious for all of you.

Quote:
2. The passage supplies information about each of the following EXCEPT

A. the population density of rabbits
B. the best way to prevent rabbits from decimating a certain crop
C. the duration of McKiIlop’s study
D. the rate at which rabbits normally reproduce
E. the amount of grass usually grown annually upon a hectare of land

In this question I will go straight for the answer:
B.
Why?
"Farmers may now be able to attach a dollar value to the crops that rabbits feed on, but they still lack the most important piece of information that Dr- McKiIlop's study did not reveal: how to stop them. "

I admit that while I was answering this one, I didn't find the another answers (please GMAT Ninja, forgive me for that. I know that I have to find 4 wrong answers). But, the text is really clear on this one. So, let's skip. (If you guys want, I can after show in the passage each one of the others.)

Quote:
3. Each of the following can be inferred from the passage EXCEPT

A. in the agricultural marketplace, barley is at least twice as expensive as grass
B. at one point. myxomatosis and viral hemorrhagic fever were more effective than they are now
C. the power wielded by a certain type of farmer is at least partly influenced by financial impact of that farmer's product
D. the cost incurred by farmers to rid themselves of large rabbit populations far exceeds the monetary damage done to the farmers' crops
E. rabbits are unable to tunnel through the ground at a depth that is greater than ten feet

A.
"This translates to more than $3 worth of damage per rabbit per year-a seemingly nominal sum until one considers that most grasslands are home to as many as forty rabbits per acre. The rabbits‘ taste for barley was about the same as that for grass in terms of percentage.but the cost was calculated to be almost $7 per rabbit. "
A is out.

B.
"most rabbits have developed resistance to viral diseases such as myxomatosis and viral hemorrhagic fever that have been introduced to curb reproduction."
B is out.

C.
Well, this one actually I couldn't find directly in any single part of the passage, because anywhere is talking about "power wielded by a farmer". But we can kind of admit it, it makes sense.
Let's hold it for one second.

D.
"Shooting and trapping rabbits is too time-consuming and inefficient".
This is what we were searching for. In this part of the passage, the author do not say anything about the cost.
D is much better than C.

E.
"To keep numbers constant, each enclosure was surrounded by fence that was entrenched ten feet into the ground"
E is out.

Quote:

In this question we are looking for the same reason that we have in "Weaken" questions in CR.

A. In the study the rabbits were of the same sex. So, the possibility that they were sterile is not a problem.

B. The price of any product rise wouldn't undermine the merit of the study. Here we are searching for things that would prevent the rabbit to eat the determined quantity.

C. Well, the author got me in this one. Just after saying that we need to search for quantities he put this answer. Well, it'is wrong just because this not interfere in the total quantity eaten for the total rabbits. Doesn't matter if some rabbits eat more or less. It matters the total eaten.

D. This one is easy to took off. It is saying nothing about rabbits.

E. A predatory animal would kill some rabbits, putting the quantity calculated into question. This is our answer

Quote:
5. in the last paragraph, the author is primarily concerned with

A. exposing a problem to which McKillop‘s study has failed to supply a solution
B. suggesting that rabbit farmers and chicken farmers are often at odds when it comes to agricultural legislation
C. citing evidence that McKiIIop’s study is woefully incomplete
D. comparing the various methods that farmers have used in order to keep rabbit populations under control
E. establishing that foxes have an equal appetite for rabbits as they do for chickens.

Finally the last question. I was getting tired of typing.
In this question we need to understand the last paragraph as a whole.

A. Well, it looks really nice to me. So, let's keep it.

B. The paragraph don't say nothing about agricultural legislation.
B is out.

C. I was really tempted to choose this one. Why I didn't?
2 motives:
1) It doesn't show any evidence. It points to us a problem, not a evidence.
2) It doesn't say anywhere that the study was unfinished.
C is out.

D. The paragraph show to us that the study failed to present any good method.
D is out.

E. The easier in this question. This is the last important thing in the paragraph.

I hope that you guys liked my answers. If not, please comment this post showing which parts I got wrong.
Thanks for reading until here
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
Although I marked the predator choice in qs 4, I am still not sure why options C and D are wrong.

It would be great if someone could clarify

GMATNinja
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 560 Q46 V21
GMAT 2: 620 Q48 V26
GPA: 4
WE:Operations (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Q3 option C - I didnt get the point "power wielded by a farmer" and where it is explicitly mentioned?

Can someone please explain?
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13961 posts