GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Jan 2019, 03:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in January
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

January 19, 2019

January 19, 2019

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.
  • FREE Quant Workshop by e-GMAT!

January 20, 2019

January 20, 2019

Get personalized insights on how to achieve your Target Quant Score.

Anyone who thinks that rabbits make cute and cuddly pets has never own

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

SVP
SVP
V
GPA: 3.39
Premium Member CAT Tests
Anyone who thinks that rabbits make cute and cuddly pets has never own  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2018, 11:52
Question 1
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

based on 100 sessions

89% (03:01) correct 11% (02:23) wrong

HideShow timer Statistics

Question 2
A
B
C
D
E

based on 101 sessions

81% (01:14) correct 19% (01:05) wrong

Question 3
A
B
C
D
E

based on 106 sessions

39% (01:35) correct 61% (01:38) wrong

Question 4
A
B
C
D
E

based on 103 sessions

30% (01:27) correct 70% (01:26) wrong

Question 5
A
B
C
D
E

based on 96 sessions

78% (00:55) correct 22% (00:54) wrong

Anyone who thinks that rabbits make cute and cuddly pets has never owned one, and has most definitely never worked as a farmer or gardener. To people whose livelihood depends on agribusiness, rabbits are nothing more than ravenous vermin that inflict millions of dollars in damage to crops meant for both animal and human consumption. Until now, no one had undertaken to quantify the annual cost to a farmer's output for which a single rabbit is accountable. Great Britain’s Ministry of Agriculture, however, has shown itself to be up to the challenge. Gordon McKillop, a biologist at the Central Science Laboratory in York, England. just finished a study that monitored the appetites of rabbits let loose to graze on several crops. As a result, farmers can gauge rabbit damage more effectively, allowing them to anticipate the mom they will lose and make necessary compensation. During his three-year study.

McKillop released a set number of rabbits into several enclosed regions, each containing one type of vegetation on which the rabbits subsisted. To keep numbers constant, each enclosure was surrounded by fence that was entrenched ten feet into the ground, and all rabbits released in a certain area were of the same sex. The rabbits did the least damage in the pens containing grass, which many farmers cultivate as grazing land for their livestock. The average rabbit ate almost 300 pounds of grass in one year, which reduced the yield of one hectare (about two and a half acres) by half a percent. This translates to more than $3 worth of damage per rabbit per year-a seemingly nominal sum until one considers that most grasslands are home to as many as forty rabbits per acre. The rabbits‘ taste for barley was about the same as that for grass in terms of percentage.but the cost was calculated to be almost $7 per rabbit.

By far, the most endangered crop was wheat, which rabbits munch at a rate that depleted normal yields by more than 1 percent of the maximum. Since wheat is also the most expensive on the open market. McKillop‘s group calculated that one rabbit can eat almost $1 worth of the crop in one month. This can mean financial ruin for wheat farmers in areas with abnormally high rabbit populations. Farmers may now be able to attach a dollar value to the crops that rabbits feed on, but they still lack the most important piece of information that Dr- McKiIlop's study did not reveal: how to stop them. Shooting and trapping rabbits is too time-consuming and inefficient to keep up with the approximate 2 percent increase in rabbit populations every year, and most rabbits have developed resistance to viral diseases such as myxomatosis and viral hemorrhagic fever that have been introduced to curb reproduction. Even the age-old remedy of releasing foxes on the property has been blocked by chicken farmers, whose commodity, according to the Ministry. contributes a almost 14 percent of Britain's gross domestic product.

1. Which of the following statements best sums up the purpose of McKillop’s experiment?

A. He contrasted several methods for establishing more credible methods for controlling rabbit populations.
B. He set out to express the damage inflicted by rabbits on farmers' crops in a more tangible, monetary sense.
C. He endeavored to prove that rabbits are more destructive than most people perceive them to be.
D. He hoped to determine the crop for which rabbits showed the most ardent appetite.
E. He wanted to portray the rabbit in a less flattering manner.

2. The passage supplies information about each of the following EXCEPT

A. the population density of rabbits
B. the best way to prevent rabbits from decimating a certain crop
C. the duration of McKiIlop’s study
D. the rate at which rabbits normally reproduce
E. the amount of grass usually grown annually upon a hectare of land

3. Each of the following can be inferred from the passage EXCEPT

A. in the agricultural marketplace, barley is at least twice as expensive as grass
B. at one point. myxomatosis and viral hemorrhagic fever were more effective than they are now
C. the power wielded by a certain type of farmer is at least partly influenced by financial impact of that farmer's product
D. the cost incurred by farmers to rid themselves of large rabbit populations far exceeds the monetary damage done to the farmers' crops
E. rabbits are unable to tunnel through the ground at a depth that is greater than ten feet

4. Which of the following hypothetical situations best exemplifies a potential problem that would most seriously undermine the merit of McKillop’s study?

A. Several rabbits develop a new strain of myxomatosis that renders each completely sterile.
B. Due to a decrease in supply, the price of barley suddenly doubles.
C. It is determined that younger, more energetic rabbits consume almost double the food that an older rabbit does.
D. A rare drought inhibits plant growth in the enclosures for several months.
E. Soon after the experiment begins, a predatory animal finds its way into some of the rabbit enclosures.

5. in the last paragraph, the author is primarily concerned with

A. exposing a problem to which McKillop‘s study has failed to supply a solution
B. suggesting that rabbit farmers and chicken farmers are often at odds when it comes to agricultural legislation
C. citing evidence that McKiIIop’s study is woefully incomplete
D. comparing the various methods that farmers have used in order to keep rabbit populations under control
E. establishing that foxes have an equal appetite for rabbits as they do for chickens.

Final days of the GMAT Exam? => All GMAT Flashcards.
This Post Helps = Press +1 Kudos
Best of Luck on the GMAT!!

MBA Section Director
V
Affiliations: GMATClub
Concentration: Nonprofit
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Anyone who thinks that rabbits make cute and cuddly pets has never own  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2018, 06:48
Intern
Intern
S
Re: Anyone who thinks that rabbits make cute and cuddly pets has never own  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2018, 18:40
Could experts please shine some light on
Q3 and Q4
Personal explanation on Q3:
There is no mentioned on depth of tunneling - why is it wrong answer?

Q4:
Drought inhibit plant growth → overestimate the value thus weaken M's study that state that the cost is $3 / rabbit that is it can be lower than $3 / rabbit.
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: General Management, Leadership

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2018, 00:16
Got doubts in q3 between options D & E.
Q4 between C & E?
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2018, 07:21
workout wrote:

+1 kudos to the posts containing answer explanations of all questions

RC deconstruct ->
The starting line of the passage “Anyone who thinks that rabbits make cute and cuddly pets have never owned one, and has most definitely never worked as a farmer or gardener. “ itself if sufficient to know where the passage is heading. The author tone is blunt and vehement, so we should expect strong criticism going further.

In the second sentence of the first paragraph, the author clearly states it the problem. The author shifts its tone, which we can infer by seeing “until” marker. So we can expect some good information in further lines. As expected, author does state that a biologist has worked on the problem statement. As I was reading, I was now expecting author to tell the research in more details.

The second paragraph does indeed is all about explaining about the biologist research and methodology.

As I progressed to third paragraph, I was expecting a twist in the author direction because I haven’t seen any passage end up with leaving open-ended question, and indeed, that what happened. The third paragraph is all about the research out coming and what farmers have done earlier and why it can’t be used any further.

Note I have analysis the passage structure, main viewpoint, author tone and organization of passage with the hope if there is any detail question I will have enough time to come back quickly and very the facts
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2018, 07:58
Valhalla wrote:
Q3 and Q4

Q4:
Drought inhibit plant growth → overestimate the value thus weaken M's study that state that the cost is $3 / rabbit that is it can be lower than $3 / rabbit.

Q3:
Though not mentioned, but rabbits are known for their tunnel making habit which may enable them to cross the boundary defined in the experiment.

Q4:
Here he talks about the percentage of the whole crop. Drought or no drought rabbits can still affect that percentage. But the entry of a predator will remove rabbits which will reduce the percentage of harmed crop hence the 'percentage'.
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2018, 19:15
4. Which of the following hypothetical situations best exemplifies a potential problem that would most seriously undermine the merit of McKillop’s study?

A. Several rabbits develop a new strain of myxomatosis that renders each completely sterile.
C. It is determined that younger, more energetic rabbits consume almost double the food that an older rabbit does.
E. Soon after the experiment begins, a predatory animal finds its way into some of the rabbit enclosures.

I have a confusion. Why not c? from the passage, researcher calculates the dollar value of consumption per rabbit.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2018, 02:30
Valhalla wrote:
Q3 and Q4

Q4:

Q3- the text mentions the depth of the Fence

Q4 - rabbit Population will not be Constant with Predator inside fence
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2018, 02:34
srnaga wrote:

I have a confusion. Why not c? from the passage, researcher calculates the dollar value of consumption per rabbit.

I share your objections, however the text tells you that they are all same sex and isolated for three years. Therefore, fair to say that - over the the course of the study - average consumption per rabbit will be the same.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2018, 07:04
HI

Why is Q4's ans E and not C?
Senior PS Moderator
P
Anyone who thinks that rabbits make cute and cuddly pets has never own  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2018, 10:13
Hi srnaga, surbhi1991 Welcome to the GMAT Club!

With regards to Q4 -

I had similar reservations while attempting the question. However, on second thought the passage does mention "on average" a rabbit consumes 300 pounds of grass per year.

Quote:
The average rabbit ate almost 300 pounds of grass in one year
and hence this accounts for all kinds of rabbits : Young and old. So the age bias is taken care of in the experiment.

Let me know if this makes sense.

Regards,
Gladi

srnaga wrote:

Regards,
Gladi

“Do. Or do not. There is no try.” - Yoda (The Empire Strikes Back)

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, Economics
WE: Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2018, 20:18
ManthanAchelles wrote:
Valhalla wrote:
Q3 and Q4

Q4:

Q3:
Though not mentioned, but rabbits are known for their tunnel making habit which may enable them to cross the boundary defined in the experiment.

Q4:
Here he talks about the percentage of the whole crop. Drought or no drought rabbits can still affect that percentage. But the entry of a predator will remove rabbits which will reduce the percentage of harmed crop hence the 'percentage'.

Q3 And, we should know this habit of rabbits because .... ???

Even if it takes me 30 attempts, I am determined enough to score 740+ in my 31st attempt. This is it, this is what I have been waiting for, now is the time to get up and fight, for my life is 100% my responsibility.

Dil ye Ziddi hai !!!

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, Economics
WE: Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2018, 20:39
Gladiator59 wrote:
Hi srnaga, surbhi1991 Welcome to the GMAT Club!

With regards to Q4 -

I had similar reservations while attempting the question. However, on second thought the passage does mention "on average" a rabbit consumes 300 pounds of grass per year.

Quote:
The average rabbit ate almost 300 pounds of grass in one year
and hence this accounts for all kinds of rabbits : Young and old. So the age bias is taken care of in the experiment.

Let me know if this makes sense.

Regards,
Gladi

srnaga wrote:

Hi gladi,

But, the rabbits used in experiment were segregated on basis of sex. We also know that they were isolated. I think C was a logical err in the aurthor's reasoning and hence a weakener.

Just because the average was stated does not mean that the rabbits used in experiment accounted for the general consumptio. My point being, C makes the experiment a flawed one.

Even if it takes me 30 attempts, I am determined enough to score 740+ in my 31st attempt. This is it, this is what I have been waiting for, now is the time to get up and fight, for my life is 100% my responsibility.

Dil ye Ziddi hai !!!

Senior PS Moderator
P

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2018, 22:13
Hey SouljaBoi,

The crux of what I was saying is - We need to find the strongest weakener among the given options. If a predator got into the enclosure and started preying on the rabbits, the calculations ( based upon the assumption of a fixed population of rabbits) would fall apart. This would be the biggest weakener of the argument.

On the other hand, if younger rabbits do consume more than older rabbits do, we can fairly assume that it would be taken care of due to the fact that the average rabbit is considered. You do have a point about only male rabbits being used in the experiment but that is a long shot. Among the given options - the predator one is strongest.

Let me know your thoughts.

BEst,
Gladi

ShankSouljaBoi wrote:

Hi gladi,

But, the rabbits used in experiment were segregated on basis of sex. We also know that they were isolated. I think C was a logical err in the aurthor's reasoning and hence a weakener.

Just because the average was stated does not mean that the rabbits used in experiment accounted for the general consumptio. My point being, C makes the experiment a flawed one.

Regards,
Gladi

“Do. Or do not. There is no try.” - Yoda (The Empire Strikes Back)

Verbal Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 25 Dec 2018, 04:30
Took almost 10 mins, including 4 mins 30 seconds to read.

1. Which of the following statements best sums up the purpose of McKillop’s experiment?
B. He set out to express the damage inflicted by rabbits on farmers' crops in a more tangible, monetary sense. - Correct
Until now, no one had undertaken to quantify the annual cost to a farmer's output for which a single rabbit is accountable.

2. The passage supplies information about each of the following EXCEPT

A. the population density of rabbits - Incorrect - ... until one considers that most grasslands are home to as many as forty rabbits per acre.
B. the best way to prevent rabbits from decimating a certain crop - Correct
C. the duration of McKiIlop’s study - Incorrect - During his three-year study
D. the rate at which rabbits normally reproduce - Incorrect - Shooting and trapping rabbits is too time-consuming and inefficient to keep up with the approximate 2 percent increase in rabbit populations every year
E. the amount of grass usually grown annually upon a hectare of land - Incorrect - The average rabbit ate almost 300 pounds of grass in one year, which reduced the yield of one hectare (about two and a half acres) by half a percent

Answer B

3. Each of the following can be inferred from the passage EXCEPT

A. in the agricultural marketplace, barley is at least twice as expensive as grass - Incorrect - Grass 3$ , barley 7$
B. at one point. myxomatosis and viral hemorrhagic fever were more effective than they are now - Incorrect - most rabbits have developed resistance to viral diseases such as myxomatosis and viral hemorrhagic fever that have been introduced to curb reproduction
C. the power wielded by a certain type of farmer is at least partly influenced by financial impact of that farmer's product - Incorrect - Even the age-old remedy of releasing foxes on the property has been blocked by chicken farmers, whose commodity, according to the Ministry. contributes a almost 14 percent of Britain's gross domestic product.
D. the cost incurred by farmers to rid themselves of large rabbit populations far exceeds the monetary damage done to the farmers' crops - Correct
E. rabbits are unable to tunnel through the ground at a depth that is greater than ten feet - Incorrect - To keep numbers constant, each enclosure was surrounded by fence that was entrenched ten feet into the ground

Answer D

5. in the last paragraph, the author is primarily concerned with

A. exposing a problem to which McKillop‘s study has failed to supply a solution - Correct

Farmers may now be able to attach a dollar value to the crops that rabbits feed on, but they still lack the most important piece of information that Dr- McKiIlop's study did not reveal: how to stop them.

A. Several rabbits develop a new strain of myxomatosis that renders each completely sterile. - Irrelevant - the experiment did not test the reproductive ability as rabbits in an enclosure were of the same sex
B. Due to a decrease in supply, the price of barley suddenly doubles. - Irrelevant - now barley is more expensive than wheat
C. It is determined that younger, more energetic rabbits consume almost double the food that an older rabbit does. - If our rabbit population is skewed in terms of age, then this might undermine the results of the study

D. A rare drought inhibits plant growth in the enclosures for several months. - Irrelevant
E. Soon after the experiment begins, a predatory animal finds its way into some of the rabbit enclosures. - It will depend on our interpretation of the word "some". "Some" can be an insignificant number just more than 1 (out of 100) or it can be a more than 50(a majority)

AjiteshArun , GMATNinja , MagooshExpert , GMATGuruNY , VeritasPrepBrian , MartyMurray , other experts - please enlighten with your thoughts on question 4(C and E)

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Manager
Manager
G
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 25 Dec 2018, 06:05
HI Experts,

Kindly explain Q-4 . I am stuck between option C and option E. Could you please explain all options in detail.

Thankyou

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All the Gods, All the Heavens, and All the Hells lie within you.

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.88
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2018, 18:03
4/5 in 11:53 About a 4 min read. Hardest questions were 3 and 4 and I got #4 wrong. Lots of details in passage. Upper 600's/lower 700's passage imo.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Anyone who thinks that rabbits make cute and cuddly pets has never own &nbs [#permalink] 26 Dec 2018, 18:03

Anyone who thinks that rabbits make cute and cuddly pets has never own

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap