Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 21:38 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 21:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

Which school to choose?

You may select 1 option
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.48
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 501 [3]
Given Kudos: 72
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
RSM Erasmus Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [1]
Given Kudos: 641
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus (II)
Send PM
Re: Rochester Simon ($$$) vs SMU Cox ($$$) vs Carlson [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi HannahChow

Congrats for the offers :thumbup:

I advise to wait for Carlson offer to see the whole picture. It will be very nice if Carlson offers you some scholarship. However, I do not see Cox as winner. I have many internationals who contacted current students last year and advised him to look elsewhere. You can do the same now yourself and validate their experiences. If really Simon has reputation in your country, then try to make use of it and do not be afraid be of travelling. I agree it is an effort but it is like if you are in Tuck or Cornell or other remote school.

Does Carlson carry same wight in you country as Simon?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Mo2men wrote:
Hi HannahChow

Congrats for the offers :thumbup:

I advise to wait for Carlson offer to see the whole picture. It will be very nice if Carlson offers you some scholarship. However, I do not see Cox as winner. I have many internationals who contacted current students last year and advised him to look elsewhere. You can do the same now yourself and validate their experiences. If really Simon has reputation in your country, then try to make use of it and do not be afraid be of travelling. I agree it is an effort but it is like if you are in Tuck or Cornell or other remote school.

Does Carlson carry same wight in you country as Simon?

Hi Mo2men,

Thanks a lot! I contacted some current students from both Simon and Cox, I can feel that even in Dallas, the doors are always closed to internationals. I can feel that the coursework is much more intensive in Simon and as a liberal art student who really needs some training, Simon might be a better choice.

Carlson is definitely on the top of my list. But since they are way too slow, i am not sure if they are willing to give me as many scholarship as Simon and Cox offered (slow action makes me feel they are reluctant to give me offers).

Yes Carlson is very reputable in my home country. UMN as well for its academic achievements. Carlson also has very strong EMBA networks all around the country.
Sad but true, Carlson got even more well known in China because a Carlson EMBA alumni, one of the most powerful entrepreneur raped a fresh PhD student in Minnesota last year. Now everyone knows Carlson is a good business school (since it’s the richest businessman’s choice), but someone will connect Carlson with rapist or blackmailer (since someone thinks the poor your girl was blackmailing). But anyway, Carlson is now famous in China and it is for sure my best choice no matter if I stay in the US or go back home.

Posted from my mobile device
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [0]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
I think for any of these top 50 schools recruiting will be on your hands. All employers coming on campus will prefer domestic students. Having few international students is actually good. You are confused to think that schools attracting many international students are better. It’s the opposite.

Simon is pretty remote. Recruiting is mostly in NYC where students drive. It is a big finance school. Marketing does not make sense here.

I think it is Cox as it the only other offer you have. Is it on par financially?

Intern
Intern
Send PM
Rochester Simon ($$$) vs SMU Cox ($$$) vs Carlson [#permalink]
bb wrote:
I think for any of these top 50 schools recruiting will be on your hands. All employers coming on campus will prefer domestic students. Having few international students is actually good. You are confused to think that schools attracting many international students are better. It’s the opposite.

Simon is pretty remote. Recruiting is mostly in NYC where students drive. It is a big finance school. Marketing does not make sense here.

I think it is Cox as it the only other offer you have. Is it on par financially?

Hi bb,
Thank you for your reply!
For me, Simon is about intensive curriculum design, STEM and reputation in China, while Cox is about location, location and location.
The cost is pretty much the same (Simon is cheaper for sure, but I might have to spend money on really warm clothes), so I would say Cox and Simon are on par financially.
I’m worried because I’m not sure if the good location of Cox can outweigh all the shortcomings, while I’m also not sure if the good sides of Simon can outweigh its location.
Seems like what I should do now is to wait for a while for Carlson. If Carlson rejects me, I could go back to this Simon vs Cox dilemma.
I also would like to here another opinion from you: if Carlson offers me very few scholarship (let’s say less than 10,000 USD), shall I still stick to it, or I should just choose other schools who offer me much more?
Thank you again.
Best,
Hannah
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Oh. I did not realize you could get STEM OPT with Simon. That’s a big plus! I am on my mobile so I am sorry I missed it.

RSM Erasmus Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [0]
Send PM
bb wrote:
Oh. I did not realize you could get STEM OPT with Simon. That’s a big plus! I am on my mobile so I am sorry I missed it.

How come you forgot :-D

It is considered one of the big achievements in MBA programs. Other schools, like Kelley, was denied the STEM certification.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
bb wrote:

No worries! If I do business analytics in Cox I could also get STEM OPT, but in Simon I could get it no matter which track I choose.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Mo2men wrote:
bb wrote:

It is considered one of the big achievements in MBA programs. Other schools, like Kelley, was denied the STEM certification.

Haha the STEM option is the thing that took me (and maybe most other applicants) to Simon.
RSM Erasmus Moderator
Send PM
HannahChow wrote:

Haha the STEM option is the thing that took me (and maybe most other applicants) to Simon.

Btw, Here is an advice that I keep telling. No matter you choose Simon or Cox. Take the business analytics. It is on demand and many employers do not mind sponsoring international students. It is the new language and job of the era.

Good luck
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Mo2men wrote:
HannahChow wrote:

Btw, Here is an advice that I keep telling. No matter you choose Simon or Cox. Take the business analytics. It is on demand and many employers do not mind sponsoring international students. It is the new language and job of the era.

Good luck

Thanks a lot! Fully agree. It’s useful and I myself could be actually good at it if I try harder:)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 393 [0]
Given Kudos: 204
Concentration: Operations, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V38
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Mo2men wrote:
HannahChow wrote:

Good luck

However, I don't believe that. Sorry for having thoughts otherwise. I will never forget why I want to do an MBA and where I want to land in. Yeah, I do agree that Many people fancy job opportunities and money, rendering them to change their objectives and responding to their goals. If you chase the knowledge and lay a path for your defined short-term and long-term goals, I believe that job is just a secondary that follows you.

Well! its just my thought process might be different. All the best guys.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Nightmare007 wrote:
Mo2men wrote:
HannahChow wrote:

Good luck

However, I don't believe that. Sorry for having thoughts otherwise. I will never forget why I want to do an MBA and where I want to land in. Yeah, I do agree that Many people fancy job opportunities and money, rendering them to change their objectives and responding to their goals. If you chase the knowledge and lay a path for your defined short-term and long-term goals, I believe that job is just a secondary that follows you.

Hi 007,

Thank you for your reply! Yes sometimes people have to balance between original career goal and reality. But I’m lucky because my original goal is a data oriented marketing role, so business analytics skills would also be essential to me.
I was not targeting finance or consulting which are more popular among MBA graduates. The initial reason that I quit my job for school is to get more systemic quantitative trainings, which are getting really important for the work I’m doing not and planning to do - so that’s great! My goal fits the trend:)

Intern
Intern
Send PM
Nightmare007 wrote:
Mo2men wrote:
HannahChow wrote:

Good luck

But STEM is definitely a big plus to any program.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 393 [0]
Given Kudos: 204
Concentration: Operations, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V38
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
HannahChow wrote:

Hi 007,

Thank you for your reply! Yes sometimes people have to balance between original career goal and reality. But I’m lucky because my original goal is a data oriented marketing role, so business analytics skills would also be essential to me.
I was not targeting finance or consulting which are more popular among MBA graduates. The initial reason that I quit my job for school is to get more systemic quantitative trainings, which are getting really important for the work I’m doing not and planning to do - so that’s great! My goal fits the trend:)

Cool! That's great that you know the career trajectory you want to go. All the best for attaining your goals, decisions you are going to make in future and let us be in touch.
:thumbup:
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Nightmare007 wrote:
HannahChow wrote:

Hi 007,

Cool! That's great that you know the career trajectory you want to go. All the best for attaining your goals, decisions you are going to make in future and let us be in touch.
:thumbup:

Thank you!!! Good luck with your application to Simon:)

RSM Erasmus Moderator
Send PM
Nightmare007 wrote:

Hi Nightmare007

Actually I totally agree with you. I was giving advice to HannahChow in light of her goal in the original post.

I did not established my point properly. I always advice people to combine data analytics with their original plans to augment their career.

Thanks for bringing this out.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Mo2men wrote:
bb wrote:

I can only hold so many things in my mind. I thought you had to do something else at Simon (like other schools) to qualify for STEM, but that is a pretty cool feature that Simon has... very nice.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts