Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 17:29 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 17:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30802 [3]
Given Kudos: 637
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 566 [0]
Given Kudos: 755
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30802 [0]
Given Kudos: 637
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [1]
Given Kudos: 80
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Schools: IIMB
GMAT 1: 580 Q48 V22
GPA: 3.7
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Most states impose limitations on the authority of the legislature to [#permalink]
Kudos
Requesting experts reply on this.

Can anybody please distinguish between the split to borrow money vs for borrowing money.

I was stuck between choice C and E. Finally went with E.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 272 [2]
Given Kudos: 317
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
Re: Most states impose limitations on the authority of the legislature to [#permalink]
Kudos
RMD007 wrote:
Requesting experts reply on this.

Can anybody please distinguish between the split to borrow money vs for borrowing money.

I was stuck between choice C and E. Finally went with E.

The best way to get an SC correct is to realize that there will always be more than one split between any two answer choices. So, if you can't decide on one split, look for other split.
Work on the other split between C and E - "limitations intended to.." vs "limitations with the intent...".
"with X" generally signify possession, so how can "limitation" posses "intent of protecting". And you are done...

Cheers !!
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7776 [5]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Re: Most states impose limitations on the authority of the legislature to [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
RMD007 "For" vs. "to" in this sentence is just a matter of idiom. You can have "authority to do X," but not "authority for doing X."
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 91
Send PM
after comma, "limitations intended ..." what kind of contruction is this? Can I say like: "I watched a movie by Tarantinp, film depicts the intriguing relations of 80s.." ?
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35497 [0]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Expert Reply
JCLEONES wrote:
Most states impose limitations on the authority of the legislature to borrow money, with their objectives being to protect taxpayers and the credit of the state government.

(A) to borrow money, with their objectives being to protect

(B) to borrow money, the objectives of which are the protecting of

(C) to borrow money, limitations intended to protect

(D) for borrowing money, of which the objective is protecting

(E) for borrowing money, limitations with the intent of protecting

faltan wrote:
after comma, "limitations intended ..." what kind of contruction is this? Can I say like: "I watched a movie by Tarantinp, film depicts the intriguing relations of 80s.." ?

faltan , here is the whole sentence into which option C has been inserted:

Most states impose limitations on the authority of the legislature to borrow money, limitations intended to protect taxpayers and the credit of the state government.

That construction is called a RESUMPTIVE MODIFIER.
To resume means to restart, to recommence, or "to return to the use of." After she ate dinner she resumed her studies. (She studied again.)

A resumptive modifier repeats a key word in the main clause and then adds details to that word.

Resumptive modifiers emphasize the word and usually the end of the sentence.
In this case, the writer wants to emphasize the ostensibly good reasons that underlie limitations on the legislature's authority to borrow money.

If I change your example just a bit, a resumptive modifier would make the sentence look this way:

[Determined to ingest more cultural history,] I watched a few films by Tarantino, films that depict the intriguing relations of 80s.
The intro in brackets is not necessary, but I inserted it in order to use the resumptive modifier emphatically.

A resumptive modifier restates and elaborates on a word to emphasize it.
You do not need to know the terminology. Recognizing that the structure is allowed is enough for the test. Hope that helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
daagh wrote:
matt882

1. I couldn't quite get your idea. How can a choice be grammatically incorrect and still the most correct?
2. Which is the independent clause that is separated by a comma? As far as I see, there is only a resumptive modifier (a sort of an appositive) that modifies another noun in the previous part.

hello, I have a question, if the "limitations" is a sort of an appositive, how can it modifer "money "? Because I think an appositive need to modifier the word next to it. Please help me figure it out :blushing
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [0]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
layla2019 wrote:
hello, I have a question, if the "limitations" is a sort of an appositive, how can it modifer "money "? Because I think an appositive need to modifier the word next to it. Please help me figure it out :blushing
Limitations is not modifying money. Take a look at the following sentence, for example:

He signed the contract that was presented to him, a contract that would take away many of his rights.

Here the second contract is just used for emphasis. It refers to the first contract, not to him.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
can someone please explain to me why C is correct? The reason why I eliminated C is because the part of the sentence after the comma is not a complete sentence. Is my reasoning appropriate?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
amegupte0410 wrote:
can someone please explain to me why C is correct? The reason why I eliminated C is because the part of the sentence after the comma is not a complete sentence. Is my reasoning appropriate?

Hi amegupte0410, the part of the sentence after the comma is called an absolute phrase: Noun (limitations) + Noun modifier (intended to protect taxpayers and the credit of the state government).

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses Absolute Phrases, their application and examples in significant detail. If you or someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Hello,

I have a problem in understanding the meaning of the sentence here. Down to C and E. I chose E reason below.

Most states impose limitations on the authority of the legislature to borrow money, with their objectives being to protect taxpayers and the credit of the state government.

States impose limitations to borrow money. So the "purpose or intent" should be denoted here.
But, I felt it is logical for states to impose limitations in order to borrow money.

What for states imposed limitations? For borrowing money
This seemed slightly better than above. Second part - I did not find any major error here for me to eliminate it.
So chose E on PoE.

GMATNinjaTwo egmat GMATNinja - Please help.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63674 [4]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
shruthiarvindh wrote:
Hello,

I have a problem in understanding the meaning of the sentence here. Down to C and E. I chose E reason below.

States impose limitations to borrow money. So the "purpose or intent" should be denoted here.
But, I felt it is logical for states to impose limitations in order to borrow money.

What for states imposed limitations? For borrowing money
This seemed slightly better than above. Second part - I did not find any major error here for me to eliminate it.
So chose E on PoE.

GMATNinjaTwo egmat GMATNinja - Please help.

I apologize for joining the party so late!

Let's start with choice (C):
Quote:
(C) Most states impose limitations on the authority of the legislature to borrow money, limitations intended to protect taxpayers and the credit of the state government.

Ignoring the modifier "of the legislature", we have, "... limitations on the authority to borrow money...". The phrase "to borrow money" modifies "authority", NOT the verb "impose". What kind of authority? The authority to borrow money. This is similar to the following examples:

• "You have the right to remain silent." - What kind of right? The right to remain silent.
  • "I have a tendency to eat sweets after dinner." - What kind of tendency? The tendency to eat sweets.

The phrase "to borrow money" is NOT there to tell us the purpose or intent of imposing limitations. Instead, it is there to modify "authority", and that usage is totally fine.

Quote:
(E) Most states impose limitations on the authority of the legislature for borrowing money, limitations with the intent of protecting taxpayers and the credit of the state government.

In choice (E), it seems like the "intentions" themselves are a conscious entity -- one that is motivated by a desire to protect taxpayers and the credit of the state government. But "limitations" themselves do not have "intent".

The correct meaning is clearer in choice (C): the limitations are meant to protect taxpayers and the credit of the state government.

Also, you can have the authority TO DO something, not the authority FOR DOING something:

• "The mall security guard has the authority to arrest shoplifters." - Correct idiom.
  • "The mall security guard has the authority for arresting shoplifters." - Incorrect idiom.

(C) is the better choice!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7629 [1]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Kudos
Top Contributor
samgyupsal wrote:
Hello experts!

What is "the credit of the state government" parallel to? Shouldn't there be another noun with an article it is parallel to, given the parallelism trigger word - "and"?

Hi Sam

The "credit" of the state government, which implies the credit standing or the credit rating of the state government, is one of the things which are being "protected" by the "limitations on the authority of the legislature to borrow money". The other item being protected by these limitations, and hence part of the list, are the taxpayers.

Hence, "credit" is parallel to "taxpayers".

Hope this clarifies.
CrackVerbal Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply

(A) to borrow money, with their objectives being to protect There is only one objective - "to protect taxpayers and the credit of the state". Eliminate.

(B) to borrow money, the objectives of which are the protecting of What noun "which" refers to is not clear. Eliminate.

(C) to borrow money, limitations intended to protect Correct answer.

(D) for borrowing money, of which the objective is protecting "authority for..." is idiomatically incorrect. The correct usage is "authority to...". What "which" refers to is unclear. Eliminate.

(E) for borrowing money, limitations with the intent of protecting Same idiomatic error as (D). Eliminate.

Hope this helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Send PM
Would b be correct if "of which" was excluded, or is there more mistakes in b?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
HansJK wrote:
Would b be correct if "of which" was excluded, or is there more mistakes in b?

If of which is excluded in B, it would be a run-on sentence and hence wrong - following two Independent clauses connected by just a comma:

i) Most states impose limitations on the authority of the legislature to borrow money
ii) the objectives are the protecting of taxpayers and the credit of the state government

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses run-on construct, its application and examples in significant detail. If you or someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 679
Send PM
GMATNinja egmat

Can you please explain to me the structure of the correct sentence (optionC)?

to borrow money, limitations intended to protect

What structure is this (limitations intended to protect)?
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7776 [1]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
swadhakamal

Here's the correct sentence with C inserted:

Most states impose limitations on the authority of the legislature to borrow money, limitations intended to protect taxpayers and the credit of the state government.

Sometimes we want to add a modifier to a noun that has already been modified. In this case, we want to say more about the limitations imposed by states, but the noun "limitations" is already followed by a lengthy modifier, so if we add "intended" or "with the intent," it may not be clear what part of the sentence we are trying to modify. In real life, we'd probably just start a new sentence: "These limitations are intended . . . " However, SC restricts us to just one sentence. The solution? Reintroduce the noun we want to modify. The noun will usually be set off by a comma or a dash. This can also be done when the noun we want to modify has never actually been stated. Here are a few examples:

I spent some time rereading the books I loved as a child--books I hadn't seen in many years.
The change of plans led to my spending five hours on a plane next to my future father-in-law, a situation that became increasingly uncomfortable.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts