Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 13:26 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 13:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1857 [16]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.67
WE:Pharmaceuticals (Health Care)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 861 [2]
Given Kudos: 45
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1857 [2]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.67
WE:Pharmaceuticals (Health Care)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 595
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: Unlike staff meetings and social events that fall outside [#permalink]
[quote="poojav08"]Why is Option C wrong ?

[size=80][b][i]Posted from my mobile device[/i][/b][/size][/quote]
In C the meaning of the sentence is not clear
The intended meaning - Employees are not willing to accept the duties but C says employees are not willing to accept the extended hours.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 415 [0]
Given Kudos: 778
Send PM
Unlike staff meetings and social events that fall outside [#permalink]
I agree with your answer but I am not satisfied with the reason of omission of C.
C is not out because of pronoun ambiguity. Their is clearly refers to "many employees" and it is logical antecedent of their.
Most probably, the reason for omission of C is that duties are not causing resistance. And C is changing the meaning of statement.

Besides this, I have a doubt here in D.
Does GMAT allow addition of new word in correct choice?
Addition of happy!

rohit8865 wrote:
Unlike staff meetings and social events that fall outside of regular work hours, there is a resistance among many employees to accept duties that would extend their regular work hours.

(A) Unlike staff meetings and social events that fall outside of regular work hours, there is a resistance among many employees to accept work that would extend their regular work hours.improper comparision..Incorrect

(B) Unlike staff meetings and social events that fall outside of regular work hours, which they are willing to participate in, many employees are resistant to accepting duties that would extend their regular work hours...improper comparision..Incorrect

(C) Unlike staff meetings and social events that fall outside of regular work hours, duties that would extend their regular work hours cause a resistance in many employees to accept the extended hours....pronoun ambiguity

(D) Many employees, happy to participate in staff meetings and social events that fall outside of regular work hours, are resistant to accepting duties that would extend their regular work hours....correct

(E) Many employees have a resistance to accept extended working hours resulting from additional duties while happy to participate in staff meetings and social events that tall outside of regular work hours...meaning error...Incorrect

Ans D
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 531 [1]
Given Kudos: 4092
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 620 Q47 V30
GMAT 3: 650 Q48 V31
GPA: 3.1
WE:Corporate Finance (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Kudos
Hi all,

Is to accepting idiomatically correct ???
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: IIM Bangalore
Own Kudos [?]: 404 [1]
Given Kudos: 326
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 600 Q47 V26
GRE 1: Q162 V149
GPA: 3.6
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
ShankSouljaBoi wrote:
Hi all,

Is to accepting idiomatically correct ???

EMPOWERgmatVerbal EMPOWERgmatRichC Even I have the same question. You often say that verb-ing in the middle of the sentence in mostly wrong and must be replaced by to-verb, i rejected D only for this reason
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 94
Send PM
Any expert’s explanation for the answer choices?

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 889 [0]
Given Kudos: 354
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V27
GMAT 2: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 3: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
MahmoudFawzy wrote:
Unlike staff meetings and social events that fall outside of regular work hours, there is a resistance among many employees to accept duties that would extend their regular work hours.

(A) Unlike staff meetings and social events that fall outside of regular work hours, there is a resistance among many employees to accept work that would extend their regular work hours.

(B) Unlike staff meetings and social events that fall outside of regular work hours, which they are willing to participate in, many employees are resistant to accepting duties that would extend their regular work hours.

(C) Unlike staff meetings and social events that fall outside of regular work hours, duties that would extend their regular work hours cause a resistance in many employees to accept the extended hours.

(D) Many employees, happy to participate in staff meetings and social events that fall outside of regular work hours, are resistant to accepting duties that would extend their regular work hours.

(E) Many employees have a resistance to accept extended working hours resulting from additional duties while happy to participate in staff meetings and social events that fall outside of regular work hours.

I feel resistance amongst human beings is an inherent quality i.e. we are either resistant to something or not. Something causing resistance can be applicable in medical terms but not for duties. Duties can not cause resistance amongst employees to something.

D appropriately puts everything together - Many employees are resistant to X
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-

MahmoudFawzy wrote:

(A) Unlike staff meetings and social events that fall outside of regular work hours, there is a resistance among many employees to accept work that would extend their regular work hours.

(B) Unlike staff meetings and social events that fall outside of regular work hours, which they are willing to participate in, many employees are resistant to accepting duties that would extend their regular work hours.

(C) Unlike staff meetings and social events that fall outside of regular work hours, duties that would extend their regular work hours cause a resistance in many employees to accept the extended hours.

(D) Many employees, happy to participate in staff meetings and social events that fall outside of regular work hours, are resistant to accepting duties that would extend their regular work hours.

(E) Many employees have a resistance to accept extended working hours resulting from additional duties while happy to participate in staff meetings and social events that tall outside of regular work hours.

Choice A: This answer choice incorrectly compares "staff meetings and social events" to "employees". Thus, this answer choice is incorrect.

Choice B: This answer choice repeats the comparison error found in Option A. Thus, this answer choice is incorrect.

Choice C: This answer choice suffers from a very awkward construction that changes the meaning of the sentence. This answer choice implies that the "duties" cause resistance among the employees towards accepting extended hours, while the intended meaning of the sentence is that many employees are reluctant to accept new duties because doing so would extend their working hours. Thus, this answer choice is incorrect.

Choice D: This answer modifies the subject "employees" with the adjective phrase "happy to participate..." and then further modifies the "employees" with the verb phrase "are resistant to..."; in this manner, the answer choice conveys the intended meaning of the sentence. This answer choice also avoids idiom and parallelism errors and is quite concise. Thus, this answer choice is correct.

Choice E: This answer choice uses the incorrect idiom "resistance to accept"; one can only have a resistance to a noun. This answer choice also fails to maintain parallelism between "have a resistance" and "while happy to...". Thus, this answer choice is incorrect.

Hence, D is the best answer choice.

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6860 [0]
Given Kudos: 500
Expert Reply
Hello, everyone. I will offer another reason for why I dismissed choice (C): the comparison is off. Any time you see like or unlike, you have to make sure that, well, like pairs with like. Focus on the just the items in the comparison here:

The comparison is improperly drawn between two events and duties that are associated with a third event, namely the case in which employees extend their regular work hours, which is also known as overtime. To correct the error, one of the two parts of the comparison would need to be altered:

1) Unlike tasks associated with staff meetings and social events that fall outside of regular work hours, duties that would extend the regular work hours...
The problem is that although the comparison is fine, the meaning of the second part of the comparison would still be skewed in duties cause, as others have noted above.

2) Unlike staff meetings and social events that fall outside of regular work hours, work-centered events such as overtime cause many employees...
Again, the comparison is fine, and the rest of the sentence could be written in a way that would clarify the meaning while retaining the vital bits and pieces, but we are now going out on a limb to justify how an incorrect answer could be made to be correct. A fun exercise, but the takeaway is that you can only go by what is on the screen, and the comparison in the original choice (C) jumped out to me immediately as grounds for dismissal.

Good luck with your studies.

- Andrew
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
I think "resistant to accepting" is wrong, in option D. Plus there is spelling mistake in option E, it should be "fall" instead of "tall"

pls correct me.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts