Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 15:41 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 15:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [0]
Given Kudos: 406
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.36
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29941 [1]
Given Kudos: 799
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 89 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [0]
Given Kudos: 406
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.36
Send PM
Re: Will must choose a 3-character computer password, consisting of 1 lett [#permalink]
GMATPrepNow wrote:
altairahmad wrote:
Thanks for the reply.

My question is precisely about the last part of your post. How are there 3 situations only ?

LDD
DDL
DLD

Taking the last one DLD e.g implies 1A3 is same as 3A1 whereas it is not the case. So shouldnt we multiply with 3! Instead of just 3.

Posted from my mobile device

Let's examine the DLD configuration.
In Rich's solution, there are 10 ways to select the first character (0,1,2,...9), there are 26 ways to select the second character (A,B,C,D,...Z)) and there are 9 ways to select the third character.
At this point we have accounted for ALL 2340 possible outcomes in a DLD configuration.
So there's no need two multiply anything by 3!

NOTE: The above approach does not imply that 1A3 is same as 3A1

Likewise, there are 2340 possible outcomes in a LDD configuration, and 2340 possible outcomes in a DDL configuration.

So once we consider these three possible configurations, we are done.

Conversely, in my solution, we first select two digits and one letter, and THEN we arrange them in 3! different ways.

I have understood the flaw in my reasoning. Thanks a lot for explaining.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 760 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Will must choose a 3-character computer password, consisting of 1 lett [#permalink]
Expert Reply
\sqrt{}
AbdurRakib wrote:
Will must choose a 3-character computer password, consisting of 1 letter from the alphabet and 2 distinct digits, in any order.From how many different passwords can Will choose?

A. 390
B. 2,340
C. 4,680
D. 7,020
E. 14,040

We need to fix 3 characters - 1 letter from 26 available letters and 2 digits from 10 available digits. Also, the characters can be arranged in any order, i.e. X10 is different from 0X1 and so on.

We can read the question as (to make it easy to understand):

Select 1 letter AND Select 2 digits AND Arrange these 3 distinct characters

Thus, number of ways (remember: AND means you MULTIPLY; OR means you ADD)

\(= 26C1 * 10C2 * 3!\)

\(= 26 * 45 * 6\)

\(= 7020\)

Answer D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [0]
Given Kudos: 261
Send PM
Re: Will must choose a 3-character computer password, consisting of 1 lett [#permalink]
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
AbdurRakib wrote:
Will must choose a 3-character computer password, consisting of 1 letter from the alphabet and 2 distinct digits, in any order.From how many different passwords can Will choose?

A. 390
B. 2,340
C. 4,680
D. 7,020
E. 14,040

Since there are 26 letters and 10 digits, the number of 3-character passwords that can be created is 26 x 10 x 9 = 2,340, if the password is in the form of LDD where L means letter and D means digit. However, the password can be also in the form of DLD and DDL, each of which also can be created in 2,340 ways. Thus, the total number of passwords is 2,340 x 3 = 7,020.

Answer: D

ScottTargetTestPrep Hello Scott I was wondering whether you could clarify a step on your approach, I was wondeering why did you multiply with 3 and not with 6 the password is in the form LD1D2 , and we care about order , what am I missing here?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 425
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V38
Send PM
BrentGMATPrepNow wrote:
AbdurRakib wrote:

A. 390
B. 2,340
C. 4,680
D. 7,020
E. 14,040

Take the task of creating a password and break it into stages.

Stage 1: Select the one letter to be used in the code
There are 26 letters from which to choose, so we can complete this stage in 26 ways.

Stage 2: Select the two digits to be used in the code
Since the order in which we select the two digits does not matter, we can use combinations.
We can select 2 digits from 10 women in 10C2 ways (45 ways)
So, we can complete stage 2 in 45 ways

NOTE: We now have the 3 characters to be used in the code. At this point, we need to arrange those 3 characters.

Stage 3: Arrange the 3 selected characters.
RULE: We can arrange n unique objects in n! ways.
So, we can arrange the 3 characters in 3! ways (6 ways)
So we can complete stage 3 in 6 ways.

By the Fundamental Counting Principle (FCP), we can complete all 3 stages (and thus create a password ) in (26)(45)(6) ways
(26)(45)(6) = 7020

Answer:

RELATED VIDEOS

Hello Brent,
Blast from the past here, please do help. How does one safely go about assuming that order doesn't matter in a certain question?
The question here says "in any order", I assumed that to mean that the position of the letter and the digits is not fixed, i.e. there are no constraints on where exactly the letters or digits must appear.
Considering that in the real world, A91 is certainly a different password than 9A1, how do we assume that 10C2 is right and not 10C1*9C1?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
ShreyasJavahar wrote:
Hello Brent,
Blast from the past here, please do help. How does one safely go about assuming that order doesn't matter in a certain question?
The question here says "in any order", I assumed that to mean that the position of the letter and the digits is not fixed, i.e. there are no constraints on where exactly the letters or digits must appear.
Considering that in the real world, A91 is certainly a different password than 9A1, how do we assume that 10C2 is right and not 10C1*9C1?

Great question!
Perhaps a few extra words should be added to the question to make it less ambiguous.
For example, we could add that A91 and 9A1 are both permissible passwords, AND they're considered different outcomes.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22062 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
UNSTOPPABLE12 wrote:
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
AbdurRakib wrote:

A. 390
B. 2,340
C. 4,680
D. 7,020
E. 14,040

Since there are 26 letters and 10 digits, the number of 3-character passwords that can be created is 26 x 10 x 9 = 2,340, if the password is in the form of LDD where L means letter and D means digit. However, the password can be also in the form of DLD and DDL, each of which also can be created in 2,340 ways. Thus, the total number of passwords is 2,340 x 3 = 7,020.

ScottTargetTestPrep Hello Scott I was wondering whether you could clarify a step on your approach, I was wondeering why did you multiply with 3 and not with 6 the password is in the form LD1D2 , and we care about order , what am I missing here?

The term LDD means that the password is in the form of a letter, followed by a digit, followed by another digit. Similarly for DLD and DDL.
It is impossible to distinguish "LD1D2" from "LD2D1"; in either case, the possible values for D1 and D2 are the digits between 0 and 9. If there was a way to distinguish one digit in the password from the other digit, then we would have to consider separate cases of LD1D2 and LD2D1. For instance, if the question told us that the password should contain a letter, one digit from the digits 0 to 9 and one digit from the Thai alphabet ๐ ๑ ๒ ๓ ๔ ๕ ๖ ๗ ๘ ๙, then we would have to consider LD1D2 and LD2D1. Notice that in this modified question, the password "A One Nine" can appear in two distinct ways, as A1๙ or as A๑9. But since both digits we use for the password in the original question are 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 or 9, we should only consider the cases LDD, DLD and DDL.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
AbdurRakib wrote:
Will must choose a 3-character computer password, consisting of 1 letter from the alphabet and 2 distinct digits, in any order. From how many different passwords can Will choose?

A. 390
B. 2,340
C. 4,680
D. 7,020
E. 14,040

Here's another approach.

There are three possible cases that satisfy the given information.
case i: The password is in the form letter-digit-digit
case ii: The password is in the form digit-letter-digit
case iii: The password is in the form digit-digit-letter

case i: The password is in the form letter-digit-digit
There are 26 ways to select the only letter
There are 10 way to select the first digit
There are 9 ways to select the other digit (it can be any digit except the digit we chose for second position)
So the total number of passwords in the form letter-digit-digit = (26)(10)(9) = 2340

case ii: The password is in the form digit-letter-digit
There are 10 ways to select the first digit (0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 or 9)
There are 26 ways to select the only letter
There are 9 way to select the other digit (it can be any digit except the digit we chose for first position)
So, the total number of passwords in the form digit-letter-digit = (10)(26)(9) = 2340

As you might guess, the third case can also be accomplished in 2340 ways

Answer: (3)(2340) = 7020

Cheers,
Brent
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
Math Expert
92948 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts