Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 09:56 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 09:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619197 [455]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 14675 [190]
Given Kudos: 766
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [58]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 14675 [39]
Send PM
Re: Regulators are likely to end what are, in effect, long-standing exempt [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
nlx23 wrote:
EMPOWERgmatVerbal : you mentioned that as much as can be used for percentages and non countables. the current question also has usage of percentage but it got considered as to be used for hours and hence countable. So How do we decide in these percent sentences where to use much and where to use many.

Hello nlx23!

Thank you for your question! I know this can be a tricky one, especially when percentages get involved! Here is another way to determine if you need "as much as" or "as many as" when you see a percentage:

If the percentage is the only thing you see = as much as

The students raised their SAT scores by as much as 15 percent.
(There is nothing countable attached to the percentage. Percentages by themselves are not countable nouns.)

If the percentage is followed up by "more/less/fewer" and a countable noun = as many as

The marketing team's new social media campaign brought in as many as 20 percent more new users this quarter.
(The term "users" is countable, so we need to use "as many as." The percentage is just there to tell you how many more users they got. It works the same as saying that they brought in "as many as 20 new users.")

I hope this helps!
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 434 [4]
Given Kudos: 80
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Re: Regulators are likely to end what are, in effect, long-standing exempt [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Bunuel wrote:
Regulators are likely to end what are, in effect, long-standing exemptions permitting pilots of small turboprop aircraft at small carriers to fly as much as 20 percent more hours per month than pilots at larger airlines fly, with the consequence that some carriers could be forced to hire additional pilots.

A. as much as 20 percent more hours per month than pilots at larger airlines fly, with the consequence that
B. as many as 20 percent more hours per month as pilots at larger airlines, and
C. more hours per month, as much as 20 percent, than pilots at larger airlines; consequently
D. as much as 20 percent more hours per month as larger airlines’ pilots, so
E. as many as 20 percent more hours per month than pilots at larger airlines do, and consequently

SC12841.01
OG2020 NEW QUESTION

Regulators are likely to end what are, in effect, long-standing exemptions permitting pilots of small turboprop aircraft at small carriers to fly as much as 20 percent more hours per month than pilots at larger airlines fly, with the consequence that some carriers could be forced to hire additional pilots.

Quote:
(A) as much as 20 percent more hours per month than pilots at larger airlines fly, with the consequence that

Should be "many", since hours can be counted. The latter part of the sentence just sounds awkward, especially with the "with the consequence...." concept.

Quote:
(B) as many as 20 percent more hours per month as pilots at larger airlines, and

"Many" works here but it should be "more hours.....THAN." A

Quote:
(C) more hours per month, as much as 20 percent, than pilots at larger airlines; consequently

Again, should be "many".

Quote:
(D) [color=#f26d7d]as much as 20 percent more hours per month as larger airlines' pilots, so[/color]

Avoid using plural possessives.

Quote:
(E) as many as 20 percent more hours per month than pilots at larger airlines do, and consequently
Veritas Prep Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 2946 [19]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
An interesting thing going on in this problem is that two different comparison structures are being used:

1) "as much/many as" (in "as many as 20% more")

2) "more than" ("twenty percent more hours than other pilots")

This can make it difficult to notice, but in choices (B) and (D) if you're looking for fatal, 100% wrong flaws, you can note that the "more hours than" comparison isn't completed with a "than," so those are completely wrong on that basis.

Then also you're dealing with a singular/plural issue with "much" vs. "many." Because the noun being modified is "hours," a plural noun, you should use "many" (e.g. "I studied for many hours") and not "much" (I studied for much hours??). Since (A), (C), and (D) all make that error, you can see that you're left with only (E) as the correct answer.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8811 [1]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos

A. as much as 20 percent more hours per month than pilots at larger airlines fly, with the consequence that - usage of as much as is incorrect as 'hours' is countable
B. as many as 20 percent more hours per month as pilots at larger airlines, and - 'more than' is correct comparison marker
C. more hours per month, as much as 20 percent, than pilots at larger airlines; consequently - usage of as much as is incorrect as 'hours' is countable
D. as much as 20 percent more hours per month as larger airlines’ pilots, so - usage of as much as is incorrect as 'hours' is countable, 'more than' is correct comparison marker
E. as many as 20 percent more hours per month than pilots at larger airlines do, and consequently - Correct

Answer E
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Given Kudos: 195
Send PM
Kudos
EMPOWERgmatVerbal : you mentioned that as much as can be used for percentages and non countables. the current question also has usage of percentage but it got considered as to be used for hours and hence countable. So How do we decide in these percent sentences where to use much and where to use many.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatVerbal wrote:
Let's start with #1 on our list: as much as vs. as many as. This is a common grammar issue people often get mixed up, so here is a quick lesson on when to use "as much as" versus "as many as":

as much as = non-countable nouns & percentages
That pair of shoes costs as much as my last month's rent!
The failure rate for this class can be as much as 25 percent.

as many as = countable nouns
There will be as many as 250 people at our graduation party.
My coworkers work as many as 15 percent more hours than I do each week.

So let's take a closer look at our options and eliminate the ones that don't use the correct idiom:

A. as much as 20 percent more hours per month than pilots at larger airlines fly, with the consequence that
C. more hours per month, as much as 20 percent, than pilots at larger airlines; consequently
E. as many as 20 percent more hours per month than pilots at larger airlines do, and consequently

EMPOWERgmatVerbal

I see that you've prefaced by saying that we use "as much as" for percentages. Why not here then?

I understand the countable v/s non-countable distinction but here, I thought that we couldn't really count 20% more hours. 20% of what?
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 14675 [8]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Rony26 wrote:
EMPOWERgmatVerbal wrote:
Let's start with #1 on our list: as much as vs. as many as. This is a common grammar issue people often get mixed up, so here is a quick lesson on when to use "as much as" versus "as many as":

as much as = non-countable nouns & percentages
That pair of shoes costs as much as my last month's rent!
The failure rate for this class can be as much as 25 percent.

as many as = countable nouns
There will be as many as 250 people at our graduation party.
My coworkers work as many as 15 percent more hours than I do each week.

So let's take a closer look at our options and eliminate the ones that don't use the correct idiom:

EMPOWERgmatVerbal

I see that you've prefaced by saying that we use "as much as" for percentages. Why not here then?

I understand the countable v/s non-countable distinction but here, I thought that we couldn't really count 20% more hours. 20% of what?

Hello Rony26

If the percentage is stated without any additional details, we use "as much as."
If the percentage is stated as being part of something, we use "as many as."

Another hint that you need "as many as: = you'll often see the words more/less/fewer after the percentage. It's not always the case, but it's a good sign that if you see "X% more/less/fewer Y" that you'll need "as many as."

Here are some examples:

My grades dropped as much as 20% after I stopped going to my tutor.

In this case, the percentage stands by itself. There is nothing countable to go along with the percentage. It's also not being used to indicated that it's a part of something larger, so we use "as much as."

Hybrid cars can drive as many as 35% more miles than a traditional gas-powered car.

In this case, the percentage is describing how many more miles the car can drive - 35% more. Since miles are absolutely countable, we need to use "as many as" here.

I hope this helps! This is a tricky grammar concept, so I understand that it may take some practice to get familiar with it.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7628 [2]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Kudos