Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 15:43 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 15:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [1]
Given Kudos: 34
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [1]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 313 [1]
Given Kudos: 254
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [1]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
Re: HBS v GSB [#permalink]
Kudos
This past weekend I was with a few GSB grads and it looks like they have a lot of small to medium size companies hiring. Small being startups that pay well, but.... they’re startups.

You need to look at their employment reports before you decided what kind of job you’d like after graduating.

HBS does not have as many startups or VCs hiring.

Rest all they’re the same.

I have worked in consulting, startups and finance... each industry is different, you have to choose wisely before you take your a job, chose an industry to work in. That essentially means that you must decide your school based on the industry you’ll work in.

Posted from my mobile device
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [0]
Send PM
HBS v GSB [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Just saw that the GSB released their employment report: https://www.gsb.stanford.edu/newsroom/s ... job-market
(The announcement/report is written differently from what I usually see Business Schools publish.... and is interesting....)

Quote:
Stanford MBA students and graduates were hired by a record 447 organizations for both summer internships and full-time positions. A signal of the sheer breadth of Stanford GSB employers and students' wide-ranging interests, 93% were able to hire just 1 or 2 students.
- pretty interesting that very few people landed at the same company!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
mykrasovski wrote:
Congratulations strawberryjelly!

Unless you are an extremely big homie, I would not bother about distance of the schools from your home country. If you have not lived outside of your home country, it is possible that you might feel a bit homesick early on. However, b-schools are known to have lots of activities besides study that will likely occupy 200% of your schedule, so I doubt that you will have lots of free time to think about home :)

I have changed continents in the past (several times), so feel free to PM me if you want to chat about this in more detail.

My advice is to look at other, more important things that can drive your decision making.

Good luck!

Thanks, distance is more of a consideration as certain members of my family absolutely hate flying so an additional 4 hours on a plane to visit has to absolutely be worth it from my view to put them through the extra suffering.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
I see you’re waiting for Wharton too, I think Wharton would be a good option to have too.
If you want to be in finance, Wharton is the clear winner.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
JohnJohnJ wrote:
This past weekend I was with a few GSB grads and it looks like they have a lot of small to medium size companies hiring. Small being startups that pay well, but.... they’re startups.

You need to look at their employment reports before you decided what kind of job you’d like after graduating.

HBS does not have as many startups or VCs hiring.

Rest all they’re the same.

I have worked in consulting, startups and finance... each industry is different, you have to choose wisely before you take your a job, chose an industry to work in. That essentially means that you must decide your school based on the industry you’ll work in.

This is something I think about a lot. HBS publishes the list of employers that recruit at their school, but GSB does not. Do you know where to find this? As I am listed in large cap PE recruiting this is invaluable to me.
Masters of Science Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 149 [0]
Given Kudos: 113
Send PM
I would definitely recommend Harvard. Stanford is a phenomenal program but I feel the US News rankings were a little...wacky this year. HBS should in no way be #6.

Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
FinanceMan wrote:
I would definitely recommend Harvard. Stanford is a phenomenal program but I feel the US News rankings were a little...wacky this year. HBS should in no way be #6.

Thanks! FinanceMan - I agree with your opinion and looks like OP also picked that route.
I have seen people pick GSB for a number of reasons and being successful with that... I also feel that I am not sure I am qualified advising a person who got into both GSB and HBS as to where they should be going. :lol:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
bb wrote:
FinanceMan wrote:

Thanks! FinanceMan - I agree with your opinion and looks like OP also picked that route.
I have seen people pick GSB for a number of reasons and being successful with that... I also feel that I am not sure I am qualified advising a person who got into both GSB and HBS as to where they should be going. :lol:

Hi bb - thanks for your reply. When you say "I have seen people pick GSB for a number of reasons" do you have any insight into what reasons someone would pick GSB over HBS? What about HBS over GSB? Thanks!
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
One person in particular was going for VC/Startup and it seems always had her sights on the GSB program. I don't think HBS was her safety but she applied into the Top 5 and I think got in everywhere (number of years ago). However, more often than not, those who are admitted to both, I see picking HBS. Though it seems to be not a quick decision and most dual admits take their time to make. Some of the things that play against Stanford is perception of the California culture and people wearing flip flops everywhere.... palm trees and west coast can be off-putting to someone who is comparing it with the America's oldest higher education institution. I prefer West Coast personally.

P.S. I also think all Yale undergrad alums pick GSB... i believe they have to or their diploma gets shredded :lol:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [1]
Send PM
HBS v GSB [#permalink]
Kudos
bb wrote:
One person in particular was going for VC/Startup and it seems always had her sights on the GSB program. I don't think HBS was her safety but she applied into the Top 5 and I think got in everywhere (number of years ago). However, more often than not, those who are admitted to both, I see picking HBS. Though it seems to be not a quick decision and most dual admits take their time to make. Some of the things that play against Stanford is perception of the California culture and people wearing flip flops everywhere.... palm trees and west coast can be off-putting to someone who is comparing it with the America's oldest higher education institution. I prefer West Coast personally.

P.S. I also think all Yale undergrad alums pick GSB... i believe they have to or their diploma gets shredded :lol:

Sorry forgot to follow up that I chose Harvard in the end! Main factors were the case method, larger class size, closer and cheaper to get home to see my family. I also felt at home there, didn't really gel with the laid back nature of Stanford. In my dual group (mostly Europeans, all living in the UK), 8/10 chose Harvard over Stanford, and those who did choose Stanford got the KH so understandable why they chose a free MBA.

Also, 100% my grandparents already told everyone I was going to Harvard and didn't quite understand when I told them I was trying to choose between Harvard and Stanford why I would even consider Stanford :lol:
GMAT Club Bot
HBS v GSB [#permalink]
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts