GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 25 Jan 2020, 06:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

HBS (full tuition) VS GSB (80% of tuition)

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Harvard   Stanford   
Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations
GMAT 1: 680 Q41 V41
GMAT 2: 660 Q42 V40
GMAT 3: 690 Q42 V41
GPA: 3.03
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge
HBS (full tuition) VS GSB (80% of tuition)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 May 2015, 10:51
My concise story is below and I appreciate all help anybody can give me:

1. Accepted into HBS round 1. Offered fellowship of roughly 70k.
2. Accept HBS offer.
3. Applied to GSB round 3 for fun and accepted. Offered fellowship of 108k - which is about 80-85% of tuition.
4. Notify HBS I have another offer from GSB. HBS revises offer to full tuition fellowship.
5. Current dilemma.

What would you do? Why? I realize now that the money portion is not the most important, but I will like to understand what you all think.

Thank you!
Manager
Manager
Reviews Badge
Re: HBS (full tuition) VS GSB (80% of tuition)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 May 2015, 10:58
Also, GSB states they do not negotiate. Even with only a slight increase, I would like to ask for a full tuition fellowship match because I don't see it as being risky to ask. I do not know where I want to go anymore, but I feel I should still try to get the best offers from both places to keep my options free. Thank you!
Director
Director
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 27 May 2015, 21:40
Sounds like a plan. Ask Stanford and see what they say. It's an insignificant amount of money though, so I wouldn't let it sway your decision.

Also, lol at harvard being so full of ****...claiming to only having need-based scholarships...
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 28 May 2015, 03:22
690 GMAT and almost full scholarship from HBS and GSB, dude your profile/application must be super awesome.
Manager
Manager
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 28 May 2015, 10:20
mgg234 wrote:
Sounds like a plan. Ask Stanford and see what they say. It's an insignificant amount of money though, so I wouldn't let it sway your decision.

Also, lol at harvard being so full of ****...claiming to only having need-based scholarships...

Apparently both schools are need-based. That is why I will give a shot at GSB matching. Thank you!
Manager
Manager
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 28 May 2015, 10:22
Poets and Quants has a very outdated comparison for the 2 schools. Does anybody have anything new? Thank you!
Which School to Choose Forum Moderator
G
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GPA: 3.75

Show Tags

New post 28 May 2015, 10:42
harvardmbaapplicant wrote:
Poets and Quants has a very outdated comparison for the 2 schools. Does anybody have anything new? Thank you!

this thread may be helpful - http://www.wallstreetoasis.com/forums/h ... ant-decide.
Manager
Manager
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2015, 07:09
jessepinkman wrote:

this thread may be helpful - http://www.wallstreetoasis.com/forums/h ... ant-decide.

Thanks!
BSchool Moderator
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V38
GMAT 2: 700 Q44 V40
GMAT 3: 710 Q44 V42
GPA: 3.3

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2015, 12:30
BrainFog wrote:
690 GMAT and almost full scholarship from HBS and GSB, dude your profile/application must be super awesome.

I'll ask what we're all thinking - HOW?

Legacy? Harvard undergrad with blue-chip letters of rec? Underrepresented minority with a tear-jerking life story? Entrepreneur who started a multi-million dollar business? Obama's long lost brother?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: LBS '17 (M$)

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2015, 12:51
jz4analytics wrote:
BrainFog wrote:

Legacy? Harvard undergrad with blue-chip letters of rec? Underrepresented minority with a tear-jerking life story? Entrepreneur who started a multi-million dollar business? Obama's long lost brother?

Schools are needs based scholarships but having negotiated has to be from super under-represented segment having earned next to nothing over the last 3 years.

A guess would be minority female - background in volunteering for say greenpeace as an activist for last 3 years with aims in charitable foundation leadership as an example.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Sustainability
GPA: 3.23
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2015, 08:58

2. Accept HBS offer.
3. Applied to GSB round 3 for fun and accepted. Offered fellowship of 108k - which is about 80-85% of tuition.
4. Notify HBS I have another offer from GSB. HBS revises offer to full tuition fellowship.
5. Current dilemma.

What would you do? Why? I realize now that the money portion is not the most important, but I will like to understand what you all think.

Thank you!

Congrats on getting accepted to not only one but two of the top schools!

Can you share some pointers on what gave you the advantage in your application. We all know it's not your GPA or your GMAT score. Is it your WE? Let us know.

I hope you don't ignore this message.
Intern
Intern
GRE 1: Q162 V161

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 15 Jun 2015, 06:33

2. Accept HBS offer.
5. Current dilemma.

Thank you!

First of all, congrats! While you are happy to take advice from the GMATclub community (after all you have such a big problem - Harvard or Stanford. That to with tons of cash thrown in to add to your worries), it appears that you don't bother replying to queries other folks have put forth on this thread. Frankly, a person of your caliber (admitted into two of the worlds best programs) shouldnt be seeking advice from a bunch of random folks on a forum. After researching, applying, talking to students/alums, interviewing, probably visiting these schools, the fact that u still don't know which school u want to go to is concerning.

Originally posted by BSchoolOnMyMind on 14 Jun 2015, 18:10.
Last edited by BSchoolOnMyMind on 15 Jun 2015, 06:33, edited 1 time in total.
VP
VP
GPA: 3.77
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2015, 23:48
Also in addition to WE, could you please state what is you short/long term career goals. They are important when it xomes to choosing between the schools.
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GMAT 2: 700 Q42 V44
GMAT 3: 680 Q44 V39
GMAT 4: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.7
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2015, 01:26
I still wonder how you all believe this entire story. Really looks like a forum troll to me. Regardless of whether it's truth or not, as s/he is not replying, you're just wasting your time.
BSchool Moderator
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V38
GMAT 2: 700 Q44 V40
GMAT 3: 710 Q44 V42
GPA: 3.3

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2015, 11:19
I think other people got it right - this was probably a "diversity hire"... unless you happen to be in one of the boxes to be checked off, you're not going to learn much here. I'm pretty sure the essay doesn't even matter at HBS; it's all about pedigree, stats, the interview... and some quotas.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.45

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2015, 19:25
My mind can't even begin to imagine receiving full scholarship from Harvard and still being hesitant and negotiaing full scholarship with Stanford too just to "keep my options free". I'd call HBS and be like "here's my acceptance and my ass too!" lol. Sincere congrats if this was true and good luck making it so if this was all fake!
Manager
Manager
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2015, 14:54
Thank you for your kind help. I have decided to join the GSB class of 2017!
Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS
GPA: 3.75
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2015, 21:33
First, congrats on both acceptances and amazing scholarships! You should go to the best school for you and completely, I mean COMPLETELY ignore the financial difference. The difference is so small and down the road it will seem even more negligible. What do you want to do after B school? Are you more of an entrepreneurial or tech person? Consultant / finance guy? These questions should drive where you should go. Also think about lifestyle, do you like a large, intense program or a smaller, more close knit program? Do you want to live and work out west or on the east coast?

You see how those are all pretty important questions, none of which have to do with money. You will go to school and be friends with people who are paying $150K for the experience, so whether you save the last 20% or not should not be a factor

Good luck and have fun!
Current Student
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
WE: Project Management (Commercial Banking)

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2015, 14:53
jz4analytics wrote:
BrainFog wrote:

I want to believe the OP's story, but this just seems like too much of a stretch, no? Just casually throws in a R3 app to Stanford last minute (as you do!), and not only gets accepted but gets a lot of $$$. Also you'd think someone with that kind of pedigree and success will be thorough enough to weigh out the pros and cons of each program and not base the decision on that last 20% of tuition. Besides, if s/he just threw in a GSB application for funsies at the end, it must mean HBS was the primary choice all along and getting a full ride from them should make the decision a no-brainer?
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2015, 15:16
We probably will never know. I have tried to validate this story having additional admin information about the user but it has not lead to anything.

The few items to reason that the post may be real could be:
1. The person did not seem to be making a big deal out of the 2 admits, though you can imagine just posting something like this in a low-key way is a big deal
2. It is not uncommon for people to be surprised with their applications they did not care about - something shows in Interviews or in the application where the school senses that the person does not care to persuade them, and this confidence is something schools cannot resist reaching out to.
3. The person is probably not a typical candidate from their industry/background (but this is simply based on the email address interpretation)

Just some other food for thoughts.
P.S. It seems also odd that they would be rejected from Smith and Anderson but admitted to GSB and HBS...
Re: HBS (full tuition) VS GSB (80% of tuition)   [#permalink] 09 Dec 2015, 15:16

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 23 posts ] 

HBS (full tuition) VS GSB (80% of tuition)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, teleste