GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 21 Feb 2020, 10:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

HBS v GSB

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Harvard   Stanford   
Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
HBS v GSB  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2019, 12:19
Hi all,

I received the good news this week that I got into HBS and GSB. I just wanted to get others thoughts on why they would pick one over the other, I'm leaning more towards HBS due to the Socratic method and the fact it is almost 4 hours closer to home. Career wise they both have their pros, I work in retail and plan to stay in the industry - Stanford is great because of the tech innovation aspect, at Harvard I am more likely to find more people who are also involved in my retail niche.

Appreciate it is a nice problem to have, but want to gather as many thoughts as possible before having to make the decision in the new year.

Thanks for the help :)
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
HBS v GSB  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2019, 18:38
Congratulations!

It is not that uncommon of a problem..... we have a few previous discussions. This is one of my favorites: https://gmatclub.com/forum/hbs-full-tui ... 98844.html

HBS is about 2 times larger as a program so you definitely have more diversity/numbers on their side. I feel that GSB only beats HBS in case of VC and perhaps Tech due to recruiting proximity but otherwise, if everything else is equal, HBS is sort of a gold standard, despite some of the rankings craziness. It is the classical education of one of the oldest US institutions (nothing for a European to be impressed with though).

P.S. I feel that HBS has a much better name internationally. Not that Stanford is unknown but I feel Harvard is a stronger brand and has more alumni chapters if you are planning to move back home.

P.P.S. You are not going to wait for the Wharton decision? :shocked
P
GMAT 1: 610 Q43 V31
GMAT 2: 640 Q45 V32
GMAT 3: 640 Q47 V31
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: HBS v GSB  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2019, 18:54
Congratulations strawberryjelly!

Unless you are an extremely big homie, I would not bother about distance of the schools from your home country. If you have not lived outside of your home country, it is possible that you might feel a bit homesick early on. However, b-schools are known to have lots of activities besides study that will likely occupy 200% of your schedule, so I doubt that you will have lots of free time to think about home :)

I have changed continents in the past (several times), so feel free to PM me if you want to chat about this in more detail.

My advice is to look at other, more important things that can drive your decision making.

Good luck!
Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2019, 18:58
This past weekend I was with a few GSB grads and it looks like they have a lot of small to medium size companies hiring. Small being startups that pay well, but.... they’re startups.

You need to look at their employment reports before you decided what kind of job you’d like after graduating.

HBS does not have as many startups or VCs hiring.

Rest all they’re the same.

I have worked in consulting, startups and finance... each industry is different, you have to choose wisely before you take your a job, chose an industry to work in. That essentially means that you must decide your school based on the industry you’ll work in.

Posted from my mobile device
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
HBS v GSB  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2019, 22:27
Just saw that the GSB released their employment report: https://www.gsb.stanford.edu/newsroom/s ... job-market
(The announcement/report is written differently from what I usually see Business Schools publish.... and is interesting....)

Quote:
Stanford MBA students and graduates were hired by a record 447 organizations for both summer internships and full-time positions. A signal of the sheer breadth of Stanford GSB employers and students' wide-ranging interests, 93% were able to hire just 1 or 2 students.
- pretty interesting that very few people landed at the same company!
B

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2019, 23:00
mykrasovski wrote:
Congratulations strawberryjelly!

Unless you are an extremely big homie, I would not bother about distance of the schools from your home country. If you have not lived outside of your home country, it is possible that you might feel a bit homesick early on. However, b-schools are known to have lots of activities besides study that will likely occupy 200% of your schedule, so I doubt that you will have lots of free time to think about home :)

I have changed continents in the past (several times), so feel free to PM me if you want to chat about this in more detail.

My advice is to look at other, more important things that can drive your decision making.

Good luck!

Thanks, distance is more of a consideration as certain members of my family absolutely hate flying so an additional 4 hours on a plane to visit has to absolutely be worth it from my view to put them through the extra suffering.

Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2019, 23:14
I see you’re waiting for Wharton too, I think Wharton would be a good option to have too.
If you want to be in finance, Wharton is the clear winner.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: HBS v GSB   [#permalink] 11 Dec 2019, 23:14

HBS v GSB

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, teleste