Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 12:57 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 12:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [1]
Given Kudos: 18
WE:Engineering (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [1]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [0]
Send PM
Re: Anderson vs Tepper ($$) vs McCombs [#permalink]
Expert Reply
ParikshitDey wrote:
Hi bb ... thank you so much for your inputs. I have narrowed it down to Tepper and Anderson. I found the Tepper culture to be a little more collaborative than Anderson’s. Also i want to be on the west coast post MBA. I see Anderson higher in the rankings and also placing pretty well in tech. Being on the west coast (closer to silicon valley) and also higher ranked, will that have its advantage down the line ? Does the ranking matter ? Top 15 vs top 20 ? Meanwhile, as you mentioned, I am trying to negotiate with the schools on the scholarship.

Posted from my mobile device

Anderson has a very good career center and pushes students and forces them to do better in recruiting so I will give that to them but I still feel Tepper performs better in terms of on-campus recruiting all despite its location. I would ping a few students and see how the situation compares....
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
kinjiGC - do you have any comments/feedback about Tepper recruiting?

Thanks!
BB.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2588 [2]
Given Kudos: 567
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Top Contributor
ParikshitDey wrote:
Hi bb ... thank you so much for your inputs. I have narrowed it down to Tepper and Anderson. I found the Tepper culture to be a little more collaborative than Anderson’s. Also i want to be on the west coast post MBA. I see Anderson higher in the rankings and also placing pretty well in tech. Being on the west coast (closer to silicon valley) and also higher ranked, will that have its advantage down the line ? Does the ranking matter ? Top 15 vs top 20 ? Meanwhile, as you mentioned, I am trying to negotiate with the schools on the scholarship.

I can talk about Tepper and below are the points that makes Tepper a good choice for PM in High Tech:
1) CMU has a strong brand in Computer Science industry and I got my internship when I networked in one of the CMU event
2) CMU alums are very active and willing to help
3) There are multiple treks during mini breaks that enables the students to network with Alums in Bay area and Seattle
4) Tepper has a very strong Product Management Track that has collaboration with School of Computer Science (SCS CMU) and School of Design

All the best.
Current Student
Send PM
Thanks bb and kinjiGC . I am definitely leaning towards Tepper now. Another problem with Anderson is that it doesn't have the STEM designation and being an international, that is very important for me. Though current students have stated that they are sure Anderson will be getting the STEM in another 6 months.

kinjiGC Does Apple hire on campus at Tepper ? Or do we have people heading to Apple in PM roles from Tepper ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [5]
Given Kudos: 64
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
Send PM
Kudos
ParikshitDey wrote:
Hi I am an Indian applicant currently working in the Semiconductor Industry as a Micro-controller Design Engineer. Post MBA I want to get into Product Management roles in the High Tech industry in companies such as Google, Apple, Amazon. I have received admits from Anderson (no scholarship), McCombs (no scholarship) and Tepper (good amount of scholarship). I understand all three schools have a good reputation in Tech but given I need to choose one , which one should I go for ? While LA seems to be having the location advantage CMU I guess has a better brand name whereas McCombs has no competition in Austin. I do understand scholarship plays an important role here, but I am more concerned about post MBA job opportunities and post MBA value down the line. Any advice here would be highly appreciated.

Hey Parikshit!
I was in a very similar situation last year, with similar admits.
First of all, congratulations on getting those admits! That's a job done well.

I am currently a first year at Anderson with a really good internship season. I'll be joining one of the companies you mentioned above over the summer!
Having said that, I just went through this thread and here are my pointers:

1. Collaboration: Anderson has 'share success' as one of its core values and we live by it everyday. I'm really surprised to hear you didn't find Anderson collaborative, because if not anything else, Anderson has given me an environment where everything from academics to recruiting to social activities happen in groups and people are very friendly and supportive of you. I cannot comment on any other school but this has certainly been my experience as well as my fellow batchmates.

2. Brand value: UCLA + Anderson make Anderson a huge hit for many top tech companies. The location is unbeatable and I have been able to network with a lot of startups that are doing interesting work in different fields. A lot of my friends are also doing their academic internships here which is something that really sets Anderson apart.

3. Recruiting: Alumni network is very supportive and the Parker career center has transformed a lot of international students (including me) to really give me best shot at job applications / networking / interview preparations and post offer negotiations. I'd give most of my recruiting season success credit to Parker as well as the incredible alumni network.

Thus, except the STEM certification (which is also a major Work in Progress), I do not think there's any other area where I'd see Anderson missing out on the other schools. I was in the same dilemma last year and would advise you to research more and see what you really want. DM me if you'd like to chat more about this.

Best.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [1]
Given Kudos: 64
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
Send PM
Kudos
bb wrote:
Congrats on your admits!

I feel these schools are piers to a very large extent and if one offered you a scholarship, it is an advantage and tips the scales that way. Which program would you feel/be more interested in attending? I can totally see shopping for a scholarship a bit with schools - see this topic for some ideas: https://gmatclub.com/forum/negotiating- ... 12949.html

I feel Tepper is slightly stronger of them all just because it places well into Tech and has a large reach on both coasts (though I am not sure where you would be most likely headed - you think west coast?).

nainy05 - you seem to have had a similar dilemma, what would you suggest?

bb , I hope I was able to help out!
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
nainy05 wrote:
bb wrote:
Congrats on your admits!

I feel these schools are piers to a very large extent and if one offered you a scholarship, it is an advantage and tips the scales that way. Which program would you feel/be more interested in attending? I can totally see shopping for a scholarship a bit with schools - see this topic for some ideas: https://gmatclub.com/forum/negotiating- ... 12949.html

I feel Tepper is slightly stronger of them all just because it places well into Tech and has a large reach on both coasts (though I am not sure where you would be most likely headed - you think west coast?).

nainy05 - you seem to have had a similar dilemma, what would you suggest?

bb , I hope I was able to help out!

Thank you! You are awesome nainy05 !!!
Current Student
Send PM
Thank you so much nainy05. That was very helpful. Its not that anderson is not collaborative. I just felt tepper was a little more collaborative because of the way they have been in touch with the students.
I have one question though . Given all the positives of Anderson, is it worth the extra money ( i have a 60k scholarship at Tepper) ?
nainy05 wrote:
ParikshitDey wrote:
Hi I am an Indian applicant currently working in the Semiconductor Industry as a Micro-controller Design Engineer. Post MBA I want to get into Product Management roles in the High Tech industry in companies such as Google, Apple, Amazon. I have received admits from Anderson (no scholarship), McCombs (no scholarship) and Tepper (good amount of scholarship). I understand all three schools have a good reputation in Tech but given I need to choose one , which one should I go for ? While LA seems to be having the location advantage CMU I guess has a better brand name whereas McCombs has no competition in Austin. I do understand scholarship plays an important role here, but I am more concerned about post MBA job opportunities and post MBA value down the line. Any advice here would be highly appreciated.

Hey Parikshit!
I was in a very similar situation last year, with similar admits.
First of all, congratulations on getting those admits! That's a job done well.

I am currently a first year at Anderson with a really good internship season. I'll be joining one of the companies you mentioned above over the summer!
Having said that, I just went through this thread and here are my pointers:

1. Collaboration: Anderson has 'share success' as one of its core values and we live by it everyday. I'm really surprised to hear you didn't find Anderson collaborative, because if not anything else, Anderson has given me an environment where everything from academics to recruiting to social activities happen in groups and people are very friendly and supportive of you. I cannot comment on any other school but this has certainly been my experience as well as my fellow batchmates.

2. Brand value: UCLA + Anderson make Anderson a huge hit for many top tech companies. The location is unbeatable and I have been able to network with a lot of startups that are doing interesting work in different fields. A lot of my friends are also doing their academic internships here which is something that really sets Anderson apart.

3. Recruiting: Alumni network is very supportive and the Parker career center has transformed a lot of international students (including me) to really give me best shot at job applications / networking / interview preparations and post offer negotiations. I'd give most of my recruiting season success credit to Parker as well as the incredible alumni network.

Thus, except the STEM certification (which is also a major Work in Progress), I do not think there's any other area where I'd see Anderson missing out on the other schools. I was in the same dilemma last year and would advise you to research more and see what you really want. DM me if you'd like to chat more about this.

Best.

GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts